• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom 2014 Award Nominees

Kayant

Best Console Game Sony Playstation:

The Evil Within
Evolve
Dying Light
Far Cry 4
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox:

The Evil Within
Evolve
Assassin’s Creed Rogue
Sunset Overdrive
Ori and the Blind Forest

Best Console Game Nintendo Wii:

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

Best Role Playing Game:

Skylanders Trap Team
Risen 3
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX

Best Action Game:

The Order: 1886
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Ori and the Blind Forest
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

Best Simulation Game:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
World of Warships

Best Sports Game:

FIFA 15
Forza Horizon 2
PES 2015

Best Family Game:

Skylanders Trap Team
Silence
LittleBigPlanet 3
Yoshi's Woolly World

Best PC Game:

Heroes of the Storm
The Evil Within
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Evolve

Best Mobile Game

Darkblade
Super Smash Bros. For 3DS

Best Social / Casual / Online Game:

Orcs Must Die! Unchained
Dance Central Spotlight
LittleBigPlanet 3
SingStar

Best Online Multiplayer Game:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Heroes of the Storm
FIFA 15
Evolve
Forza Horizon 2

Best Hardware (incl. Peripheral):

Virtualizer
Oculus Rift DK 2
Project Morpheus
Amiibo
SHIELD Tablet and SHIELD Wireless Controller

In what is a first, the expert jury – comprising representatives of international media and social media companies, gaming communities and well-known personalities from the entertainment sector – will also be supported by consumers. Games fans can apply for a place on the jury. The competition is open to anyone uploading a review of a video game or a photo of his games collection or 'playground' or a description of a game you would ideally like to have as per the guidelines and technical requirements in the Facebook app provided for that purpose. You must be at least 18 years of age to take part. A total of nine games fans are wanted to support the expert jury. You will find the application for the gamescom jury here .

Jury panel -

The gamescom award jury and 2014 categories at a glance:

• Petra Fröhlich, Editor in Chief, PC Games

• Bertram Küster, Redakteur, Bild.de

• Joachim Hesse, Editor in Chief, Spieletipps

• Florian Böhme, Sr. Category Leader Video Games, Amazon.de

• Heiko Gogolin, Produzent, EinsPlus Reload

• Michael French, Publisher, MCV

• Mike Rose, News Editor, Gamasutra

• Peter Georg Smits, Pietsmiet, Pietsmiet (Let's Play | Youtube)

• Alex Simmons, Editor in Chief, IGN

• Frédéric Fau, Editor in Chief, jeuxvideo.com

• Rene Meyer, Journalist, Die Schreibfabrik

• Andreas Garbe, Editor, ZDF heute journal

• Sven Wedig, New Media, Der Tagesspiegel

• ‎Marco Accordi Rickards, Editorial Director and Owner, Idra Editing Srl

• Igor Boyko, Editor, game world navigator

• Martin Kesici, Musician

• Tino Hahn, Editor in Chief, IGN Europe

• Viola Tensil, Moderatorin

• Michael Trier, Director Content Services, IDG Entertainment Media

• Guy Cocker, Games Expert, BBC, Wired

• Uke Bosse, Redaktionsleiter, EinsPlus Reload

• Chris James, Managing Director Pocketgamer, Pocketgamer

• Heiko Klinge, Chefredakteur, GamePro | Making Games

• Christoph Holowaty, Editor-in-Chief, gamesindustry.biz Germany

• Wesley Yin-Poole, News Editor, Eurogamer

• Fabian Käufer, Redaktionsleiter, Game One (MTV)

• Thomas Krappweis , Managing Director, Bernd, das Brot

• Ian Morris, Edi, Everybody Plays

Via IGN and Gamasutra

Bloodborne am cry. Lock if old

Edit interesting info on how the to games get on the list

I got curious how games even end up on this list so I found the submission form via google.

The organizer charges a nominal fee of EUR 450 plus legal VAT per game or product. With this, the game or product can be submitted into up to five different categories. In the case that a game or product is submitted into more than five categories, a surcharge of EUR 200 plus legal VAT is to be paid. If one game or product is submitted just into one category a nominal fee of EUR 260 plus legal VAT is to be paid. No discounts are available. The nominal fee is not reimbursed, neither in full nor in part, in the case that multiple categories are merged and a submission is then taken into account in fewer categories.

Prerequisites
The submitted games/products must:
• Games and products submitted for the gamescom award by exhibitors at gamescom must not be published on the German or the home market of the submitting company or made available in any other form to the public before the correspondent gamescom edition of the current year.
The announced publishing date for the game or product on the home market of the submitting company or the German market must be in the year following the gamescom.
• be displayed in the exhibitor‘s entertainment section and be playable by the audience • be full-version products (Add-ons do not qualify)

Sendou

Is the Wii U selection supposed to be a joke? They didn't find 5 games like they did with PS4 and XBONE and one of the three they did found is LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham.

Expert jury my ass.

*facepalm*

The Wii line of consoles which are the Wii and the Wii U.

Is the Wii U selection supposed to be a joke? They didn't find 5 games like they did with PS4 and XBONE and one of the three they did found is LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham.

Expert jury my ass.
It's supposed to be the jury's fault that WiiU has no games to judge?

Yeah if Bloodborne is playable and didn't make that list, there will be hell to pay.

Unless it actually isn't going to be playable. Was that just a rumor or was it official?

Actually, looking over the list it makes no sense anyway. No DriveClub in best sports with just 3 nominees? The Order best action nominee but not in best Playstation list? No Bloodborne altogether? No Mans Sky?

RaveofRavendale

Neo Member

Expert jury my ass.

The Wii line of consoles which are the Wii and the Wii U.

Just a note that this wasn't really the jury's fault - we were given a shortlist of games to choose from, and this was whittled down to what you see here. The choice for the Wii U games was pretty limited!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Nintendos GamesCom Lineup:

Super Smash Bros. für Wii U
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Party 10
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Sonic Boom: Lyrics Aufstieg
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8

Gotta try harder, these nominees are very random.

Kyoufu

Best Console Game Sony Playstation:

The Evil Within
Evolve
Dying Light
Far Cry 4

I'm so confused. No Bloodborne? No Order? No Destiny? No sense?

Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox:

The Evil Within
Evolve
Assassin’s Creed Rogue
Sunset Overdrive
Ori and the Blind Forest

Unity am cry.

I'm so confused. No Bloodborne? No Order? No Destiny? No sense?

Destiny was nominated for everything last year. You can't can't be nominated multiple times.

Destiny – Activision Blizzard
Nominated for:
Best Action Game
Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox
Best Console Game Sony Playstation
Best Next Generation Console Game
Best Online Multiplayer Game
http://techbooters.com/2013/08/16/gamescom-award-nominations/

Sendou

I don't know which games they got to play but here's Nintendo's Wii U lineup for Gamescom

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi’s Woolly World, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

Obviously they got to play at least some of those since Yoshi's Woolly World appears in the list just not under the best Wii (U) game.

Just a note that this wasn't really the jury's fault - we were given a shortlist of games to choose from, and this was whittled down to what you see here. The choice for the Wii U games was pretty limited!

Fair enough. In which case I still have to wonder why bother with the awards at all? They being the party that provided the list.

And I still wonder about Yoshi.

rrc1594

The Ori tho!

tumblr_n6y7sb0zev1sjbtwdo1_500.gif

Gurish

What a random list, and how they can announce nominees before they got a chance to play these games in their updated build?

This is stupid.

McSpidey

I got curious how games even end up on this list so I found the submission form via google.

The organizer charges a nominal fee of EUR 450 plus legal VAT per game or product. With this, the game or product can be submitted into up to five different categories. In the case that a game or product is submitted into more than five categories, a surcharge of EUR 200 plus legal VAT is to be paid. If one game or product is submitted just into one category a nominal fee of EUR 260 plus legal VAT is to be paid. No discounts are available. The nominal fee is not reimbursed, neither in full nor in part, in the case that multiple categories are merged and a submission is then taken into account in fewer categories.

Prerequisites
The submitted games/products must:
• Games and products submitted for the gamescom award by exhibitors at gamescom must not be published on the German or the home market of the submitting company or made available in any other form to the public before the correspondent gamescom edition of the current year.
The announced publishing date for the game or product on the home market of the submitting company or the German market must be in the year following the gamescom.
• be displayed in the exhibitor‘s entertainment section and be playable by the audience • be full-version products (Add-ons do not qualify)

Sendou

If they are just going to give the jury a list and say "choose from here" then I think it would be fair to also include the list provided or otherwise this is all fairly pointless.

LOL never mind. Buying awards now.

Evolve wins everything...again

Curtain Call was put in the Simulation category for a pity win I bet. No way World of Warships wins, right? >.>

Xando

lmao this has to be a joke list.
Wheres Bloodborne,CiV: Beyond Earth,Driveclub?

edit: lol@ Bild.de "journalist" in the panel.

stryke

The whole list is slightly off.

Best Simulation Game:

World of Warships

Maybe I'm just ignorant about what the game is, but what does Theatrhythm simulate?

The whole list is slightly off.

Maybe I'm just ignorant about what the game is, but what does Theatrhythm simulate?

Well if Warships was on it's own, that would be it's guarantee to win by default. Putting Theatrhythm in there simulates that it has less chance :p

Percy

Banned
Nintendos GamesCom Lineup:

Super Smash Bros. für Wii U
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Party 10
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Sonic Boom: Lyrics Aufstieg
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8

Gotta try harder, these nominees are very random.

You're maybe stretching it a bit putting Bayo 1 on there, but yeah, the Wii U list there is an especially laughable list in a long line up of laughable lists in the OP. Some of the exclusions are mind boggling.

The Ori tho!

tumblr_n6y7sb0zev1sjbtwdo1_500.gif

Looking forward to playing this on PC.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of weirdness going on in these lists, but this one:

Best Simulation Game:

has to take the cake

Top Bottom