• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have very realistic faces.

Cudder

Camilla Luddington tweeted a picture of her face covered in fluorescent paint, which gives roughly 7000 points of reference for the in game character model. This process/innovation is called Mova. Normal mocap gives you about 90 POR.

IMG_20140807_131809.jpg

On mobile, can't copy tweets.

Interested to see how the final game looks and if other studios will use Mova.

Mod edit:
Yes, we know you want to make a hilarious immature joke. Restrain yourself, please.

Silky

Banned
If Lara's face was as bad in TR: Definitive then I have no hope for Rise of the Tomb Raider in regards to the face textures

TR'13 Lara's face was better in the way debris/dirt/blood was applied to her face textures in comparison to Definitive.

she was also cuter but that's subjective

-MD-

Hope this game ends up being better than the reboot.

Less gallery shooter, more survival and tomb raiding

synce

Hype! I wasn't a fan of Lara's face in the first one... it looked kinda botox-y, and the PS4 version looked almost alien like

Will they capture her whole body?

Looking around it seems that it's specifically for capturing facial animation. Which is risky since you could end up with something like LA Noire where there was a disconnect between the facial animation and body since they're captured separately.

Can't wait for 178 different close ups of these new "realistic" faces while Lara hangs off broken buildings as more and more of them collapse around her as she tries to hold on.

Shin-Ra

The 'capture' part may be greatly improved, but I don't have much faith in the 'performance'.

DieH@rd

Banned
Camilla Luddington tweeted a picture of her face covered in fluorescent paint, which gives roughly 7000 points of reference for the in game character model. This process/innovation is called Mova. Normal mocap gives you about 90 POR.

IMG_20140807_131809.jpg

On mobile, can't copy tweets.

Interested to see how the final game looks and if other studios will use Mova.

This tech is used in Hollywood for creation of ultra high realistic 3D models of actors. I don't know if this can be used for motion tracking. I heard it is used only for creation of fixed models.

dreamfall

Just want to see more! I hope the face tech is absolutely stunning. Just ran through the Definitive Edition again- I just hope it has less combat this go around!

Gestault

This tech is used in Hollywood for creation of ultra high realistic 3D models of actors. I don't know if this can be used for motion tracking. I heard it is used only for creation of fixed models.

As the news here is specifically in regard to motion capture, these sound like two different things. Mova has been used for animation, in the past.

jett

D-Member

Mova has seemingly been around for several years and it's meant for mocap.

edit: John Carter used the tech.

Top Bottom