• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Redux: Uncovered - A look at Redux

Yeah, but in 2033 (never tried it in LL), the subs only covered the main plot dialogue - nothing else, and I mean NOTHING else was subbed. You missed a lot of good material because of that.

It's always been one of my chief complaints about the series.

Damn, hopefully they fix that. It really bugs me when games and movies aren't in the native tongue of the setting/location. I'd much rather listen to the native voice actors and read subs, would be much more immersive, imo.

d00d3n

I am really looking forward to playing metro 2033 with the updated gameplay and graphics. Improved transitions between levels sounds like an awesome detail to spend money on fixing. The guys at 4A Games understand how to make an immersive fps better than anyone else in the industry.

SoulClap

I thought the original release of 2033 needed a lot of work so I was happy to grab the Redux pack for 15$ on PC and see how they improve it. It's looking really good so far based on this trailer.

How did you get it for $15?

Also, I might be nuts but 2033 looked cleaner and sharper to me than Last Light. I guess it's due to the differences in base AA solutions?

$25

Buying it just to vote with my wallet as I'm not the biggest Metro fan but they deserve a reward for the price plus effort they are making.

El_Chino

And it's possible that the Xbox One version could still improve, he added. "At the moment we're at 900p - that might change. I say might, I don't know at the moment, we've still a got a few months to go." Redux still has a vague "summer" launch date.

I'm expecting it to stay 900p but you never know.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-30-metro-redux-is-brighter-shinier-with-far-fewer-compromises-on-console

d00d3n

By the way, will the metro 2033 redux be eligible for neogaf goty 2014 considering the significant changes from the original game?

v0mitg0d

I played both games--enjoyed them thoroughly--but never finished them. After watching that video I'm now seriously considering playing on Survival difficulty in Ranger Mode. I'm in love with the idea of slowly creeping through environments, preparing for firefights, or better yet playing stealthily and surgically picking groups apart as much as possible.

Anyone play Ranger Mode on Survival (or any other) difficulty? Is it too much or enjoyable? I'm hoping for a slight Dark Souls experience where things are slowed down and thought through.

I think 4A studios have demonstrated clearly with this remaster how the new console generation is a significant leap over last generation. They've redone almost everything, and still managed to push 1080p and 60fps on the PS4 with upgraded textures, models, geometry, effects. It's going to be awesome playing this how it was meant to be played. I've got both pre-ordered.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Definitely want to grab this. I wonder how the X1 version will measure up aside from the lesser resolution? My X1 is hungry for a new retail game.

Nice to see a developer take the time and actually do a remaster properly. Really looking forward to both of them.

We can only hope Capcom learn a thing or two from 4A and make REmake the remaster it deserves.

Denton

Holy shit, this is how you sell your remaster. Made me hyped eventhough I finished both games on PC already. They are fantastic, so buy this everyone!

Holy hell! The difference in these comparisons is astonishing! I'm glad I pre-ordered this.

THIS is a real remaster, ladies and gents. THIS puts other remastered editions to shame.

Facism

all looks good and i'm interested, but not for £17 when i already own the originals. Put in the wishlist for the christmas sales.

[edit]fuck it there's a man selling the bundle for $15 in the buy/sell thread. bought bought bought bought

KingJolly

Banned
Played Last Light on PS3 and loved it. Shame I will be travelling when this comes out and by the time I'm back Destiny will be out, But I'm sure I will pick this up down the road

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
My god, I got both on Steam but I'm definitly getting this.
I'll finish both on the hardest setting avalible.

Anung

Un Rama
Hey Naughty Dog. This is how you do a definitive edition!

Day one. Already put my pre-order down and got it for the great price of £28. I played the living shit out of both on 360/PC and will love playing it all again on PS4.

Probably my favorite series of last gen.

garyBig

"Enemies benefit from responsive hit reactions". I doubt the 'enemies' see it that way lol

But man is it refreshing to hear the appropriate terminology for all the stuff that's said.

Gurish

Omg that looks incredible! You are telling me those visuals runs at 60 on consoles? That's something i want to see... really one of the best looking games I've seen on next gen.

Which game is considered better if i could only buy one?

Wasn't really interested in this but man, that video has changed my mind!

Thing is I'm kind of a wuss lol how scary are these games? The scariest game I have completed is probably Dead Space just for reference!

Anung

Un Rama
Wasn't really interested in this but man, that video has changed my mind!

Thing is I'm kind of a wuss lol how scary are these games? The scariest game I have completed is probably Dead Space just for reference!

They have horror elements but I'd day its more of a horror atmosphere than an all out horror game.

They can be very scary/tense mind.

cheezcake

This is some excellent value. 4A games will never cease to amaze me, it feels like they do so much more than much larger developers while providing better gameplay experiences and for better value.

Just a few answers :

@Ivanl "Should these be more or less demanding than their originals?"

We dropped 32-bit support for Redux, and made a few more optimizations for PC.

As such, both 2033 Redux and Last Light Redux should be a little less demanding than the original Last Light, which in turn was a stratospheric improvement over the original 2033...

@HiddenForbiddenHolyGround - no, trophies do not carry over. Many are the same, we cut some and added a few others...

@Vash63 - yes, our Linux versions of Redux will use some Open GL 4+ and be nigh on indistinguishable (we hope) from the top of the line DX11

@boneso - yes, V-Synch option for both games

Can you guys look into the SLI issues which have been documented? The default SLI scaling is poor, and sli profiles which scale much better, have graphical artifacts. More than 2 cards does not scale at all.

Metro 2033 had near linear SLI scaling, yet Last light had lots of stutter and non-existent scaling (40% GPU utilization etc...)

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
never had the chance to play either game really excited for this, i really hope they fixed teh AI problems however because ive seen videos and they were pretty bad it is one thing to say you fixed it compared to actually doing it. I hear people say metro 2033 was better because it was a tad harder I think going to go Survival mode on first playthrough however I think I save ranger mode once i get familiar with the game.

I can't wait to finally dive into both of the games. Redux pre-ordered.

Also, I like how they used the mask-wipe to transition between a number of comparison shots of Original and Redux versions. Clever.

woen

This is the Remastered I like. Never finished Metro 2033 on Xbox360, this time at this price I think I'll take the time.

I'll wait to know what mode must be played though...

daveo42

Banned
I was about to write this off as more a console cash grab at first, but the video and some the changes that are being made. I'm going to end up buying this at release. The amount of work they put into the game, even for an HD update is insane.

I am totally blown away here.

Vash63

Just a few answers :

@Ivanl "Should these be more or less demanding than their originals?"

We dropped 32-bit support for Redux, and made a few more optimizations for PC.

@Vash63 - yes, our Linux versions of Redux will use some Open GL 4+ and be nigh on indistinguishable (we hope) from the top of the line DX11

@boneso - yes, V-Synch option for both games

Great to hear. I think I'll get in on the Steam preorder then. I was so disappointed with the gimped Last Light that I wish I hadn't bought it tbh... There was no indication when buying that it wouldn't be as good as the Windows build. At least there's the discount offer for owners of the originals. No 32 bit is great news also, about time for that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
By the way, will the metro 2033 redux be eligible for neogaf goty 2014 considering the significant changes from the original game?

I'd certainly argue it's closer to a remake than a remaster:

Last Light Redux, on the other hand, is something even the devs admit isn't on the same level (same source as above):

For sure, Metro 2033 Redux is a far more significant upgrade over the original than Metro: Last Light Redux (and we're not trying to pretend otherwise).

$50 for both games is incredible. All these other remasters seem way overpriced in comparison.

Kind of coming out a bad time between Diablo and Destiny, but I'll probably go ahead and get it day one anyway.

Leb

Now this is how you do a remaster. Already played and loved both games and it looks like with the remasters, they'll fix the few remaining issues that the games had. Kudos to 4A and DS.

Top Bottom