• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech responds about PS4 wheel support - Sony demands advanced security

DieH@rd

Banned
syjcxj.png

https://twitter.com/LogitechG/statuses/496042493155094528

All in all, while some devices [such as generic USB and bluetooth keyboards and mices] can be used without limitation on PS4, controllers that [supposedly] have high pooling rate are restricted. Sony demands advanced security measures for them. Or at least it demands this chip for "full functionality".

Sony. Pls. Don't do this. There is metric shitton of old Logitech wheels in the wild, many of htem are really great [GT Pro, DFGT, G25, G27], and would be mistake not to support them. At least make it right before GT7 is out.

Sir TapTap

Daaaamn that sucks, and bodes poorly for PS3 sticks too.Sticks and wheels aren't something you should have to buy once per console

Alchemy

Kinda ambiguous wording, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony was still worked up about security after the PSP.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Is this a kind of chip to prove that the peripheral is officially licensed for use with a PS4? To prevent manufacturers making unlicensed peripherals?

Kysen

Isn't this the same route MS took with the 360, verification chip? So in effect my g27 will be useless on ps4 unless some guy in China releases a clone dongle that gets around this limitation.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Good thing that I sold my G27. The lack of support for these (quite expensive) third-party peripherals is ridiculous. I literally only used it with GT5.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this a kind of chip to prove that the peripheral is officially licensed for use with a PS4? To prevent manufacturers making unlicensed peripherals?

I don't think so. T500 is a high-end wheel from January 2011, and it is announced for all PS4 driving games.

antibolo

Banned
Wait I thought it was already confirmed that Driveclub would work on existing Logitech wheels?? Why would another game not be allowed to do the same?

Also we already have confirmation from Skullgirls that Sony allows controller backwards compatibility as long as the game implements support from scratch by itself.

BWJinxing

Its likely just a way to get money out of third party peripherals.

But with the USB exploit on PS3, it kinda makes me wonder if there is some sort of correlation.

Hi Polling devices need chips, thats interesting if true.

androvsky

Has anyone tried using a G27 in War Thunder on the PS4? It's set up to allow all sorts of generic USB input devices, I'd be curious as to what doesn't work.

Also, the statement from Logitech seems to directly contradict what the Skullgirls devs said.

Wait I thought it was already confirmed that Driveclub would work on existing Logitech wheels?? Why would another game not be allowed to do the same?.

The Driveclub director last year DID say that *all* PS3 wheels would be supported by Driveclub on PS4. I read this and ran out and bought a G27 specifically for it.

Unfortunately, lots has happened since then, including Logitech dropping support for their wheels. So we're screwed brah. :(

Likely gonna sell my G27 in the coming weeks

Lemstar

What kind of functionality can we get without the chip?

Eight minutes, maybe.

http://akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus.html said:
PS360+ Software Update and Software Overview PDF Update. PS4 support via autodetect (8 minute timeout), forced PS3 BC mode with 1P+2P.

PS4 Breakdown:
When we announced PS4 capabilities, it was because we got the firmware communicating with the system perfectly, with all inputs being reported including menu and in game commands. However, the PS4 currently utilizes a periodic authentication over the wireless channel that, currently as a wired peripheral, we cannot bypass. This authentication occurs slowly, and only after a period of 8 minutes will it stop receiving commands from the controller, requiring a re-plug into the system. The night we announced, we saw things working, but the 8 minutes was never reached during initial testing so we did not see the issue until after announcing. This was a mistake on our part, mostly because we, just as you, were excited as the prospect of new system compatibility with existing hardware. We got excited and announced too soon. The beta testers saw this issue while giving feedback, and unfortunately we have exhausted our options and will need to come up with a new plan moving forward. We apologize for any inconvenience and the delay in this statement, but we will be looking at new avenues to approach the issue at hand to hopefully allow this compatibility in the near future either through direct firmware update or through hardware expansion. Please feel free to use the current firmware as is, any feedback while using it is appreciated.

ps3ud0

Why has it taken this long for this 'chip omission' to be known? Feel like weve been pandered to and strung along on fake hope. Pretty disappointed...

I have little reason to get another wheel when the possible reality is with an expected shorter generation Ill have to replace it again - Im not expecting them to be compatible for decades but its not like these expensive wheels arent built to last...

ps3ud0 8)

Sir TapTap

Isn't this the opposite of what Mike Z and the Skullgirls crew have said?

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/looking-for-dualshock-3-driver-help-for-ps4.4164/

Though it phrases things nicely, what it actually means is "Devs can write their own USB drivers for unsupported USB peripherals on PS4". (I suspected that - if it was as easy as flipping a switch they would just have said "supported". Don't get mad at Sony, at least they give us the ability to try.)

Sounds like it's up to the dev, not the peripheral maker. Logitech has no practical way of making every racing game developer support their wheels.

onQ123

syjcxj.png

https://twitter.com/LogitechG/statuses/496042493155094528

All in all, while some devices [such as generic USB and bluetooth keyboards and mices] can be used without limitation on PS4, controllers that [supposedly] have high pooling rate are restricted. Sony demands advanced security measures for them. Or at least it demands this chip for "full functionality".

Sony. Pls. Don't do this. There is metric shitton of old Logitech wheels in the wild, many of htem are really great [GT Pro, DFGT, G25, G27], and would be mistake not to support them. At least make it right before GT7 is out.

After what happened last time around I can see why they would limit USB support.

panda-zebra

All, while some devices [such as generic USB and bluetooth keyboards and mices] can be used without limitation on PS4, controllers that [supposedly] have high pooling rate are restricted. Sony demands advanced security measures for them. Or at least it demands this chip for "full functionality".

Where does this info come from? I've never seen mention of it before and would like to read up on it.

antibolo

Banned
Eight minutes, maybe.

That's not the same thing though, here they were trying to imitate the native PS4 controller protocol.

From what the Skullgirls devs have said, it is possible for a game to support non-PS4-native controllers, as long as the game directly implements its own drivers for them. (Said controllers will probably not show up as individual "players" in the PS4 interface and will not be able to access the main PS4 menu, but the game will read input from them.)

So for racing games it would be possible to support non-PS4 wheels as long as the game supports them directly. This is basically what Gran Turismo 3 and 4 did on PS2 (the wheels were USB, but native PS2 controllers were not USB).

Wereroku

That's not the same thing though, here they were trying to imitate the native PS4 controller protocol.

From what the Skullgirls devs have said, it is possible for a game to support non-PS4-native controllers, as long as the game directly implements drivers for them.

So for racing games it would be possible to support non-PS4 wheels as long as the game supports them directly.

Yep it sounds like using the official drivers requires a security chip but game devs can write custom drivers to support additional devices. Sounds like a pain in the ass.

So for racing games it would be possible to support non-PS4 wheels as long as the game supports them directly.

Rushy did mention that Thrustmaster supported Evolution throughout development of Driveclub (most of even their really old videos were done with a T500), so this makes sense.

So the long and short of it is, Logitech can make them work but would need to put in the effort to work with developers and support each game individually. Without dedicated console peripheral support within Logitech, I have a hard time seeing this happening.

The End

Sounds like it's up to the dev, not the peripheral maker. Logitech has no practical way of making every racing game developer support their wheels.

Sure they could:

they could write a driver and distribute it to devs

if the PS3 wheels are just rebadges of PC wheels, most of the work in writing the driver is probably done already

(that being said, it's purely a for-the-fans movie, they'd make no additional money from it, they'd much rather have you buy a new PS4 wheel)

Sweep14

Yep it sounds like using the official drivers requires a security chip but game devs can write custom drivers to support additional devices. Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Rushy and his team will have some extra work to do it seems... ;-)

Branson

Unless Fanatec or Logitech and Sony get their act together with this stupid bullshit I won't be buying any of their game efforts. GT7 will be ruined without decent wheel support.

Branson

Racing Wheels are still a thing? The last time i played one was Gran Turismo 2 on PS1.
They've never been more important. You can't play iRacing with a controller. GT is best played with a Wheel. Playing racing games with a controller unless they are Mario Kart is terrible. PC racing sims are the best they ever have been and you don't want a controller for that.

Unless Fanatec or Logitech and Sony get their act together with this stupid bullshit I won't be buying any of their game efforts. GT7 will be ruined without decent wheel support.

Yup. I'm not shelling out hundreds of dollars to play PS4 driving games when I have a perfectly working G27. I'll just simply not be purchasing those games.

Top Bottom