• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club release Aug. 19th on Xbox One and PC, PS4 later this month

FinFan

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=4356.0

OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

“THE GOLF CLUB”, TEES OFF NEXT GEN GOLFING THIS AUGUST
HB Studios Announces Full Retail Release Date For Golf Simulator

(Nova Scotia, CAN) Aug 12, 2014 -- Canadian video game developer, HB Studios, today announced that its golf simulation, The Golf Club will launch on Xbox One through Xbox Live on August 19, 2014. The Golf Club will also leave early access for a full retail release on Windows PC through digital download distribution service Steam the same day. The PlayStation 4 version of The Golf Club will launch later this month pending certification approval. Credited with making some of the most critically acclaimed sport franchises on the EA SPORTS label, HB Studios has developed the first golf title to bring procedurally generated courses to next gen console. The Golf Club is a highly realistic game that allows players to fully customize their golfing experience by creating and playing the course of their dreams with the built-in Greg Norman Course Designer.

“We are incredibly excited to give golf fans the game they’ve always wanted,” said Anthony Kyne, Producer at HB Studios. “No other golf game provides players with this level of customization and sophistication in course design on PC and next generation consoles. We’ve worked extremely hard to get The Golf Club ready for launch, so it’s really rewarding to officially announce the launch date and share that with our fans.”

The Golf Club is a fully featured golfing experience where users can play against friends’ and rivals’ best rounds in turn-based/asynchronous competition modes enhanced by cloud-based technology. The game supports Tours & Tournaments, stroke play, match play, and 4-ball.

The Golf Club’s Greg Norman Course Designer allows players to build an unlimited number of golf courses, which can then be shared and played with friends online. New courses can be generated in a matter of seconds by selecting a theme, terrain features, and number of holes. Players can then enjoy a full suite of editing tools from changing the time of day to placing hazards and objects to create the ultimate golf challenge. Players can also discover new courses built by friends and the community by filtering through rank and difficulty, as well as interact with new members of The Golf Club through the Message Center.

The game is due for worldwide release on Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One and PC Windows platforms priced $34.99.

The Golf Club comes complete with three modes: stroke play, match play and 4-ball, no loading times between holes, and the course designer feature.

For more information on HB studios and a full feature list for The Golf Club at final release, please visit www.thegolfclubgame.com.
Follow The Golf Club on twitter @thegolfclubgame.

About HB Studios
Founded in 2000 and headquartered in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada, HB Studios is an electronic entertainment software company that specializes in creating console, mobile, handheld and PC games. To date, HB has shipped 43 titles, selling over 23 million units, and contributed to 20 others.
More information about HB Studios and its products can be found on the company’s website, www.hb-studios.com.

The PS4 version will run at 1080p @ 30-40 fps
The XB1 version will run at 720p @ 30-45 fps

They posted this bit of information about the input thread framerate:

Do not get bogged down in this number. These framerates run very smoothly on the consoles. Unlike many games, we have separate threads for the input and the graphics rendering on the consoles. So while the graphics threads render at the above numbers, the input thread runs at 60 frames per second on both consoles. So overall performance feels higher than what you may be imaging the number 30-40 fps represents. Framerates on the PC are not on separate threads, but they are also not capped.

I've been playing the game on my modest gaming PC and I have to admit, I can feel the control difference between 30 fps and 50 fps, but once the animation hits 30 fps, I can't discern much of a difference beyond that.

d0g_bear

I've been playing this for several months now in early access and it's a solid, relaxing golf game. Good to see they're hitting the big leagues.

For what this game offers $34.99 sounds outstanding and to me and presents an excellent value. Great price point. I predict it will be very successful.

I have always wanted to buy a golf game, and I think this is the one.

For what this game offers $34.99 sounds outstanding and to me and presents an excellent value. Great price point. I predict it will be very successful.

I have always wanted to buy a golf game, and I think this is the one.

This game will indeed be a tremendous value for $34.99. The content will be out the roof on release day, as there are already at least 30, premium quality user created courses on the PC version that will be accessible to the XBox One.

The only disappointing aspect to today's news is that the XBox One version isn't at least at 900p. Maybe once the XB2 receives the DirectX 12 upgrade, they can get to at least 900p. HBS will be periodically upgrading the game over time. They marketed it as an evolving product.

Still a bit tough to swallow the 720p on the XB1, when the PS4 will be in full 1080p glory.

This game will indeed be a tremendous value for $34.99. The content will be out the roof on release day, as there are already at least 30, premium quality user created courses on the PC version that will be accessible to the XBox One.

The only disappointing aspect to today's news is that the XBox One version isn't at least at 900p. Maybe once the XB2 receives the DirectX 12 upgrade, they can get to at least 900p. HBS will be periodically upgrading the game over time. They marketed it as an evolving product.

Still a bit tough to swallow the 720p on the XB1, when the PS4 will be in full 1080p glory.

Where are you getting this Piece of information?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
720P? Kenect reseve, Dx12, DGPU where are you?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It does not and from what I understand there are currently no plans to add it later.

Then I'm sorry but I'll pass. i just can't get on with using an analogue stick to determine power/direction. Which is a shame because I like golf games and this looked interesting. Powerstar isn't clicking with me either, so that leaves me back with Everybody's Golf on vita until hopefully a PS4 version is announced.

Is there a tiger Woods coming?

Schryver

Then I'm sorry but I'll pass. i just can't get on with using an analogue stick to determine power/direction. Which is a shame because I like golf games and this looked interesting. Powerstar isn't clicking with me either, so that leaves me back with Everybody's Golf on vita until hopefully a PS4 version is announced.

There is a new golf game coming from EA but it won't be related to Tiger in any way if I recall correctly

Bydobob

Been playing the early access for nearly a month and it's great fun. A bit too easy to hit it straight at full power but chipping and putting can be dastardly. Ball physics are nearly there too.

This game will live and die by its course editor though and early signs are good. Already tons of user created courses to play on, and while they tend to look a bit samey more options will be added over time as HB fine tunes it. Partnership with Greg Norman's design team will no doubt bring fresh ideas. They've also announced that all user content will be shared cross-platform. I'm expecting big things.

Been playing the early access for nearly a month and it's great fun. A bit too easy to hit it straight at full power but chipping and putting can be dastardly. Ball physics are nearly there too.

This game will live and die by its course editor though and early signs are good. Already tons of user created courses to play on, and while they tend to look a bit samey more options will be added over time as HB fine tunes it. Partnership with Greg Norman's design team will no doubt bring fresh ideas. They've also announced that all user content will be shared cross-platform. I'm expecting big things.

One of those latest course design videos I saw looked amazing with the options.
So if this game is a "service", will there be multi-GB patches every month to add in new features and whatnot? I won't mind, but it almost feels like buying a beta in a way.

Bydobob

One of those latest course design videos I saw looked amazing with the options.
So if this game is a "service", will there be multi-GB patches every month to add in new features and whatnot? I won't mind, but it almost feels like buying a beta in a way.

The game itself doesn't occupy much space (currently >2Gb on my SDD) so we're not looking at mega updates. They've been on a mostly weekly basis during beta but couldn't tell you what happens after release. What I can say is that HB have been fantastic in responding to feedback and communicating progress with us. Check out the Steam Community discussions or their official forum and you'll find much discussion about future content and features.

I share your general concern though. With so much promised in the pipeline there seems little differentiating the full release from the beta.

Can you play online?

I'm hoping the console versions will eliminate some of the lag we're currently seeing in the PC version with "live" multiplayer. You'll hear your opponent anguish over putting an approach shot in the water, only to see the execution of the shot six to ten seconds later. All shots get "archived" as data on HBS server, and they're pulled and executed after being buffered. If you're not talking to your opponent via Skype, TeamSpeak, or Raid-Call, nothing looks out of the normal though.

I'm just wondering of there will be any difference in the way the audio communications are transmitted with the console versions that will reduce this? I know they're not going to be able to eliminate it entirely, given HBS' approach to archiving shot data.

I love video game golf, but I have zero interest in licensed people and courses. I also love games with procedurally generated content and games with user generated content.

It's almost like these guys made this just for me.

What? Wait, you say that you can't use analog, then ask about PGA Tour, which only uses an analog control scheme...it doesn't make sense to me.

The controls at 60FPS is what really matters anyway

Agreed, I think that's going to make a huge difference in the way the console versions *feel* in this game. It will give the gameplay an intangible quality that will keep people playing the game, even though they're not quite sure why. In playing the game on the PC since the closed beta, I can tell you for sure, when the animation frame rate drops below 30 fps (and the control input follows suite with the PC version), the interface feels muddy and hesitates. That won't happen with a 60 fps control thread.

I've noticed that it's hard to discern the difference in the animation quality once it goes above 30 fps, so year, I don't think a 30 to 45 fps animation frame rate is going to be a sticking point with The Golf Club.

red731

Really great golf game. My first golf game ever, too.
I was in from the beginning of its Early Access and it was shaping up really great with dev interactions on Steam forums and so on.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
There's no more efficient way to make sure I don't buy a game I want than to announce a release date a week before launch. I need time to allocate funds for games, especially when it's >$15. Add that to the fact that if I don't get a game at launch, I don't get it until it's on sale.

onQ123

Agreed, I think that's going to make a huge difference in the way the console versions *feel* in this game. It will give the gameplay an intangible quality that will keep people playing the game, even though they're not quite sure why. In playing the game on the PC since the closed beta, I can tell you for sure, when the animation frame rate drops below 30 fps (and the control input follows suite with the PC version), the interface feels muddy and hesitates. That won't happen with a 60 fps control thread.

I've noticed that it's hard to discern the difference in the animation quality once it goes above 30 fps, so year, I don't think a 30 to 45 fps animation frame rate is going to be a sticking point with The Golf Club.

Yep! 60FPS is about controls not visuals. When I seen that MS was still using 30 FPS for Kinect on Xbox One I knew for sure that gaming wasn't the aim for Kinect on Xbox One. I know for sure that the people researching for Kinect know that 60 & 120 FPS is needed for motion controls even if the game is half the frame rate just so the controls can be smooth & not chunky & weighed down.

I'm trying to get an answer from HBS today as to what level of AA they're using with the XB1 version of The Golf Club. I did some experimentation last night with my PC hooked up to my 55" HDTV to simulate the resolution and graphics detail level we already know at which the game will run (720p and "High" detail - the PC version can run at what's called low, medium, and high detail).

I didn't know what level they're going to be using, so I just went with 2XAA. I also went with 8X AF, although they might go as high as 16X AF. The game looked okay in the foreground, but washed out more in the distance in the background. It also showed some pretty stark light source/clock dial, tree shadowing issues at this level. I changed the AA to 4X, and not only did the graphics look much sharper, even those in the distance, but it virtually erased the stark tree shadow lines I'd seen at 2XAA!?

If they can pull this game off at 4XAA (and I honestly see no reason why they couldn't), I think this game will look fine at 720p. I know that it will feel fine with an input thread of 60 fps!

Reading about this makes me want a highly realistic golf game that uses Kinect.

I've been a PGA Teaching Pro for 15 years and I've seen a lot of software designed to help the instructor breakdown and analyze their students golf swing. There has been software like this for over 20 years now and today's software would blow your mind if you were an experienced player and/or teacher.

Pairing Kinect's capabilities with today's software could produce a ridiculously accurate golf simulator. Kinect would easily be able to see the most important aspects of the golf swing like grip, posture, stance and alignment.
Take those basics and add in things like spine angle, balance, swing path etc. and that's where you go from a golf sim to a ridiculously accurate golf sim.

I get extremely giddy just thinking about teeing it up at Merion, Pine Valley, Pebble or Augusta National with those insanely accurate controls.

If I can't get my accurate Kinect controls then at least give me a golf game that produces realistic scores but at the same time isn't frustrating to control.

I can't wait! I wonder why the holdup on the PS4 though...

HBS said it was four minor issues, all of which they are highly confident they fixed and had already resubmitted. This statement was made yesterday, I'm not sure when it was actually resubmitted, but this stuff seems to run on a weekly cycle. My suspicion is that the PS4 version will release on the 27th.

What are the best people shooting on the hard courses on PC at the moment?
I like how the game has no power ups or anything, from the sounds of it.

I've been a PGA Teaching Pro for 15 years and I've seen a lot of software designed to help the instructor breakdown and analyze their students golf swing. There has been software like this for over 20 years now and today's software would blow your mind if you were an experienced player and/or teacher.

Pairing Kinect's capabilities with today's software could produce a ridiculously accurate golf simulator. Kinect would easily be able to see the most important aspects of the golf swing like grip, posture, stance and alignment.
Take those basics and add in things like spine angle, balance, swing path etc. and that's where you go from a golf sim to a ridiculously accurate golf sim.

I get extremely giddy just thinking about teeing it up at Merion, Pine Valley, Pebble or Augusta National with those insanely accurate controls.

HBS hasn't ruled this out, but they do say if it happens, it will be down the road a bit. I didn't like the Kinect controls in the 360 version of Tiger Woods. The show stopper for me was having to take the swing at a 90 degree angle to the screen? I also have to have something replicating the feel of a club in my hands to make this work. I feel awkward making an empty handed swing on the golf course, and it feels even worse in my rec room.

I have a SimStix for my PS3/Move and it has a reasonably good golf grip on it. I added to lead tape to the Move housing to get the weight up to the feel of a 7-iron. I swing it directly at the screen when playing Tiger Woods and haven't had an accident.... yet ;) Problem is, the game and the interface aren't that good and although the SimStix feels good, the game to compel me to use it isn't there.

What are the best people shooting on the hard courses on PC at the moment?

The hard AND realistic (I emphasize realistic here because some are just over the top fantasy courses that have no basis in reality) courses have record scores of -2 to -5. And just think, all of these courses will be available to console gamers on day 1!

The hard AND realistic (I emphasize realistic here because some are just over the top fantasy courses that have no basis in reality) courses have record scores of -2 to -5. And just think, all of these courses will be available to console gamers on day 1!

That is freakin awesome!
Cross platform course sharing too, eh? Hype rising!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Hope you like hitting a golf ball over a crashing battleship.

I'm a fervent golf player, so I might be interested to grab this on PS4.
Too bad there isn't a demo. Looking at their released games, it might as well be a horrible piece of shit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What? Wait, you say that you can't use analog, then ask about PGA Tour, which only uses an analog control scheme...it doesn't make sense to me.

Oh does it? Sod that then. Was just looking for any options. I find it odd that any golf game would force you into a particular control method, when a simple 3-click would be easy to include.

Allforce

I'm with you in this dream, however now that Kinect is an afterthought it'll never happen.

I honestly can't believe this wasn't an idea pitched for the launch of the original Kinect. Being involved as heavily as you are as a teaching pro you know the market for this stuff is out there, and serious (and even casual) golfers WILL spend ridiculous amounts of money on technology to improve their game.

Instead we get Kinect Sports Golf which is awful, and one stab at a PGA Kinect game from EA where you face perpendicular to the screen. Madness.

Ruruja

Having played this on Early Access, in my opinion August 19th is too soon to release the game, it doesn't feel complete, polished or optimised enough. Hopefully I'm wrong.

When I played Tiger via Kinect I had those high hopes too, but the technology just isn't even close even with the new Kinect. It only samples at 30hz I think, which in a golf swing is horrible and can't detect anything in regards to hand position or the important factors.
I honestly think the Sony Move would have a better chance at it, since your hands are on something physically connected to the system and it can tell if you turn your hands right or swing on the right path. As far as the actual hand on club physics. Stance is a whole other story, that maybe the Sony camera could be used for.

Top Bottom