• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 First Footage and Gameplay changes

dubq

That's cool. It's also cool to see people rushing to the defense of yet another visually poor turd from the Yukes factory.

Defending.. sure, whatever. More like being optimistic based on what I've seen of the visuals. I honestly could not care less if it looks like a late-era PS3 game. I'm 100% fine with that.

If it plays like garbage when I try it, I'll be the first to admit it.. but people should be able to say that they're hyped for what they're seeing without having to worry about getting a shit show of negative comments coming down on them like the ones that always get posted in the thread by the same people every single time there is a new piece of media or news. At what point are people who are excited for the game actually allowed to discuss it without it turning into some giant negative thread hijacking? The OT?

God damn I hate Yukes with a passion, I wish they go bankrupt and not one person associated with that company ever finds a job a again in the industry

This is the only thing they do. When they lose this job it's not like they will put out other games. Everyone knows they are a shitty dev.

I played this at EGX today.

I haven't played a Smackdown game properly since 2, and haven't played one at all since about 2006/7, so I don't have any recent frame of reference to go by, but having said that... this game is slow. Like, damn slow. Even before the characters get exhausted, although I'm sure (read: hope) the mode we were playing in accelerated that to show it off. I didn't play enough of it to come to a conclusion over whether this is a good thing.

It looks OK. The likenesses are obviously much better, but the lighting is incredibly flat during gameplay, and there was a bum-load of aliasing.

Probably nothing there you didn't know already.

Whats the button configuration like?

It seemed quite reminiscent of the early games. Here's what I can remember:

X: grapples (modified by a direction, i think)
SQUARE: strikes
CIRCLE: irish whip / pin
TRIANGLE: signature / finisher / omg (that is what the control sheet said, verbatim)

L1: exit/enter ring, cilmb turnbuckle
L2: run

R2: reversal
R1: focus on body part (there was something in the HUD at the bottom that indicated where you were targeting)

Me and the friend I was playing with couldn't really figure out the finisher system. We kept getting the context-sensitive 'finisher/signature' indicator popping up, but it rarely let us actually initiate a move. I'm sure there was just more to the system that we didn't get though as opposed to it being just flat out broken.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Check this out
10393859_10203975572902202_5947160651883896511_n.jpg

God damn I hate Yukes with a passion, I wish they go bankrupt and not one person associated with that company ever finds a job a again in the industry

Yukes makes good games. Publishers make them make cost decisions though, as 2K pays their bills now. THQ was CUTTING the budget year after year.

As far as I know, 2K is getting more involved & giving them an actual budget, but that doesn't mean shit, right?

It could be that for all intents and purposes the amount of money and time invested in mocap and various other things is too high for them to wish to cut back and start over.

I wish they would though, or at least make a handheld version that played different.

Wrestlemania XIX & Wrestle Kingdom are my favorites that Yukes put out, along with Here Comes the Pain.

Yukes makes good games. Publishers make them make cost decisions though, as 2K pays their bills now. THQ was CUTTING the budget year after year.

As far as I know, 2K is getting more involved & giving them an actual budget, but that doesn't mean shit, right?

It could be that for all intents and purposes the amount of money and time invested in mocap and various other things is too high for them to wish to cut back and start over.

I wish they would though, or at least make a handheld version that played different.

Wrestlemania XIX & Wrestle Kingdom are my favorites that Yukes put out, along with Here Comes the Pain.
So you're saying Yukes haven't made a good game for 10 years?

Sounds about right.

PartyChan

I played this at EGX today.

It looks OK. The likenesses are obviously much better, but the lighting is incredibly flat during gameplay, and there was a bum-load of aliasing.

Agh... Hopefully, they will use these next 6 weeks to optimize the graphics engine. I, too, noticed the lighting looking pretty bland and the slow down during cinematic angles during gameplay.

Rapstah

It seemed quite reminiscent of the early games. Here's what I can remember:

X: grapples (modified by a direction, i think)
SQUARE: strikes
CIRCLE: irish whip / pin
TRIANGLE: signature / finisher / omg (that is what the control sheet said, verbatim)

L1: exit/enter ring, cilmb turnbuckle
L2: run

R2: reversal
R1: focus on body part (there was something in the HUD at the bottom that indicated where you were targeting)

Me and the friend I was playing with couldn't really figure out the finisher system. We kept getting the context-sensitive 'finisher/signature' indicator popping up, but it rarely let us actually initiate a move. I'm sure there was just more to the system that we didn't get though as opposed to it being just flat out broken.

Based on your description this sounds exactly like the WWE 2k14 controls.

MyCareer sounds very cool! I'm guessing some of the DLC could be new NXT guys. They went for the four most obvious, safe picks and even then, Bo Dallas is on the main roster now and Corey Graves is on indefinite hold because he had a bunch of concussions.

Striker

Good in-ring performances net you skill points to raise the multitude of attributes you have. The catch is that different attributes will have a hard ceiling based on the class of wrestler you've chosen. You can raise the maximum values one attribute at a time by spending “virtual currency” (VC) which you earn from hitting career milestones and achievements. This same currency allows you to hire managers of varying ability, hold training sessions with other Superstars to learn their move sets, and much more. You may end up wanting to “grind” in My Career to make your created wrestler a total beast rather than try to make it to the end as fast as possible.

VC... skeptical to say the least. It can easily be ruined by such things and with limited attribute scaling. Creating multiple caws is uh, well - curious whether or not they go in the story mode or you can skip that routine and incorporate stats accordingly.

Kyari

MyCareer looks hype, but I'm legitimately worried it won't allow female CAW to play it, assuming they maintain their stance on no cross-gender wrestling.

Hasney

They probably won't. Not sure of female CAW is even making the cut this year, since they talked about playing with your fave superstar or Diva, or as a created superstar in the info page on the 2k page.

Jamie OD

There is something mentioned in Bleacher Report's preview that has me worried: They may be a bit more discouraged when they see the amount of hairstyles (18 in all), facial paint and other accessories for created wrestlers have also been limited.

No matter how messy the WWE games are, they still have the best character creation tools in video games. If the CAW options are limited this year that could be the thing that disappoints me most of all.

TeRey09

There is something mentioned in Bleacher Report's preview that has me worried: They may be a bit more discouraged when they see the amount of hairstyles (18 in all), facial paint and other accessories for created wrestlers have also been limited.

No matter how messy the WWE games are, they still have the best character creation tools in video games. If the CAW options are limited this year that could be the thing that disappoints me most of all.

Micro transactions!!!!!!!
Oh crap I hope not.

Hasney

I expected the CAW stuff to go down in scope, but not by that much. Might just be the demo build.

If it's that limited for guys though, Diva CAWs are out for sure.

dubq

They probably won't. Not sure of female CAW is even making the cut this year, since they talked about playing with your fave superstar or Diva, or as a created superstar in the info page on the 2k page.

You're reading too much into marketing copy..

I'm going to take a (hopeful) guess that this limitation is only for the Career mode to make it more streamlined (with the friend-invasions, load times, etc). I'd wager the overall creation suite for use outside of that mode will have more options available.

Hasney

You're reading too much into marketing copy..

With only 18 male hairstyles on offer? That was speculation based on that part being true. I could easily see them axing Diva CAWs if that was all they got ready for the male side.

dubq

With only 18 male hairstyles on offer? That was speculation based on that part being true. I could easily see them axing Diva CAWs if that was all they got ready for the male side.

If you're saying that there is going to be no way to create Diva CAWs outside of Career mode, then that's what I was referencing. I highly doubt they would cut that out.

If not, and if you're only talking about Career mode, then yeah, you're probably correct - no Divas. Which is fine, because the Diva roster is already so small, you'd just be fighting the same 5 women over and over again.

If you look at the screenshots they've released of MyCareer, you can see that the CAW models look much more similar to the regular wrestler models. They don't stick out like a sore thumb like they used to. Part of that comes from limiting customization.

Hasney

If you look at the screenshots they've released of MyCareer, you can see that the CAW models look much more similar to the regular wrestler models. They don't stick out like a sore thumb like they used to. Part of that comes from limiting customization.

They didn't stick out in anything from SD V Raw 2011 onwards. Admittedly, that was because the regular models were downgraded.

Honestly, if it meant limiting it that much, I'd rather they stuck out.

If you're saying that there is going to be no way to create Diva CAWs outside of Career mode, then that's what I was referencing. I highly doubt they would cut that out.

If not, and if you're only talking about Career mode, then yeah, you're probably correct - no Divas. Which is fine, because the Diva roster is already so small, you'd just be fighting the same 5 women over and over again.

I honestly think it might end up being no created divas, assuming the 18 hairstyle thing is true of all CAWs and not just a career restriction.

I mean, they've changed engine this year. It sounds like a very Yukes thing to do.

dubq

I honestly think it might end up being no created divas, assuming the 18 hairstyle thing is true of all CAWs and not just a career restriction.

I mean, they've changed engine this year. It sounds like a very Yukes thing to do.

I don't think the engine has changed that much. Besides that, Yukes doesn't decide what to cut or add.. that is something the designers do, and they all work for 2K (Bryan Williams, etc). Yukes codes what the designers ask them to code.

Hasney

Hopefully the creation tools allow me to create some wacky looking idiot though. I want him to show up in peoples careers and hopefully also their nightmares.

Any notable changes/additions seem to be for PS4/Xbone. So I imagine the PS3/360 versions not being much different from 2K14.

It would still be nice to see. They haven't even said if the new motion capped models made it into the previous gen version. I imagine it will just be a reskin of 14, but it would be nice for them to say something. At this point the game should have already gone gold.

Hasney

It would still be nice to see. They haven't even said if the new motion capped models made it into the previous gen version. I imagine it will just be a reskin of 14, but it would be nice for them to say something. At this point the game should have already gone gold.

They showed it straight after announcement and it showed it is a riskin. HBK is doing a cactaur superkick just like last year.

Top Bottom