• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Message" - GAFMaster Flash and the Furious Forum tackle the XBOX PR issue

What current-generation gaming solution do you own?

Results are only viewable after voting.
First off, I want them to man up and make a public apology, this E3 would be good. Apologize and acknowledgr that what they tried was wrong (none of that "consumer didn't understand" BS). Think Sony after the outage

I don't want them to then commit to buikding up their first party, no more moneyhats. It'd be nice if they also talked about that and admitted that it's wrong.

Then, introduce a redesigned for the console, at a lower price in time for Halo 5. Also get GWG up to par, Sony offers 6 games a months plus tons of great discounts.

Do all that and actually follow through and maybe they'll have a shot. The TR momeyhat destroyed what faith I had in Phil Spencer

Non Xbox One owner here:

Bish, I over-simplified my answer - but here it goes:

I think for me the nut of the issue with Xbox stems back to the 360 days. I LOVED my 360 and used it through the entire last generation as my main console. However, half-way through, they did things like add advertisements, etc which I felt were anti-consumer at best. I was unwilling to walk away from the friends I had made on XBL and stuck it out. Fast forward to the Xbox One announcement / and the insight into the potential DRM practices we discussed here on Gaf over and over. Their past behaviors (my opinion of course) combined with the rumor of what they were planning, finally made me turn my back on their console. Of course once the PS4 specs came out, and all the other little goodies, they became a huge plus - but not the sole reason for my switch.

So when it comes down to it - I do not trust that they will not re-implement anti-consumer practices (or begin/foster new ones) down the road. How do they solve that issue? I honestly do not know, other than with time and a lot of really exceptional pro-gamer and pro-consumer behavior. Even then, I will most likely wait until next gen - but at least by that time, if they do those things, I may be open to considering a Xbox again.

Pretty simple for me this is why i dont buy a Xbox one.

1. I dont want kinect in my house
2. I dont like the direction they are taking with it TV, sports, DRM, no used games
3. I was not happy with MS exlusive for the end of the 360 era
4. Its not released in my country

For these reasons i decided to go with playstation this generation i was a 360 guy last one. I wont be buying a Xbone and i wont be paying for two live subscriptions its just not worth it for me.

BokehKing

Banned
Instead of spending money on exclusives and trying to win
Just focus on themselves, take that money and invest it into first parties, and who knows maybe things will turn around.

Drop the "I'm your best friend we look out for you" stuff, drop all of that, don't go out of your way to prove anything.

Hard as it is, pretend the console war does not exist and just come out with "fun games"
Don't tell us "this is fun!" let us figure it out on our own

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They need to move a step ahead of Sony.
Make XB1 cheaper than PS4.
Make Live cheaper than PS+
Expand games with Gold
Invest in original IP's
Stop with the lawyer talk. Speak honestly and transparently

That last one is probably my biggest issue, the way they present the Xbox One comes off as a bit dishonest at times, especially with the whole Power of the Cloud stuff. I mean they could sell it as "Our first party offerings will offer slick online thanks to our dedicated servers", now that'd be a bullet point and something to get quite excited over as a console gamer, after years of P2P connections. No need to spout the "infinite power" stuff, it's OK Microsoft, Sony won with the PS2, a machine that was probably much more behind the Xbox than the Xbox one is to the PS4, nothing's impossible.

RulkezX

I own both, I like both a lot. MS have done a lot with the OS and announcing sequels to franchises I really enjoyed last gen, it's frustrating they went the route they did with Kinect and the power issue but that's done so w/e.

I think people are just going to need time, I think its in the back of a lot of people minds that the DRM / Always online stuff is going to make a come back, that there is some other plan in the works to screw us over and that they'll abandon the exclusives and money hatsb after a couple of years like they did last gen.

All they can do is continue to prove us wrong and move in the right direction, if they do them time heals all wounds.

Stuff like being evasive over how exclusive TRotTR is just reminds us how detached they were from us just a year ago.

I think it makes sense to look at how Sony did it over the life of PS3, as it faced similar image issues in the beginning. Two components to that are (1) lots of first party development and (2) free online play. I think both would help MS more than buying up timed exclusives. MS will never do (2), but I believe it's highly relevant. It seems like (sadly) most people are fine with paying one console subscription. But if you are in the position of the underdog, asking them to pay another for your system is likely to be too much for most.

Oooh, that last bit is very important. To me, XBox Live lost all value it had a long time ago. Now they're playing catch up with that, but in the process, they let Sony rocket past them with a far superior subscription service. They need to overhaul XBox Live, and bad.

Right now, for me, it's value.

Problems:

• Price is too high
  • Not enough compelling exclusives
  • Weaker than my current console (So multiplatforms aren't comeplling)
  • I don't want to pay for 2 subscriptions a year
Solution:

Price and/or exclusives need to find a point where it's worth it for me, given that it will be a secondary console and it's ONLY the exclusive I'm buying it for. The library of great exclusives needs to be high and the price needs to be lower. It is not at that point currently.

Right now, with it's current lineup. I'd consider a pricepoint of $250ish. More quality exclusives would cause me to consider paying a higher price for the console.

That said, seeing them buyout games that were multiplatforms is NOT a compelling strategy to me. In fact, it makes me less likely to buy one.

Daft Bird

Current Xboner

I think that they defiantly need to beef up there first party studio's and allow those studios to develop new IP's. They have great third party exclusives that are out and more coming in the future, so they are good on that side. I think having Phil Spencer do a Major Nelson podcast type infosegment would be beneficial. He is really likeable and having the boss give information to the customers seems really genuine to me! By having basically a new front office for their gaming division will also help get over the Mattrick era mistakes.

Iorv3th

For them to show commitment. I had been an xbox gamer since day one of the original and 360. Back then they were all about games and they had what felt like people genuinely interested in gaming as a medium running things.

With the kinect announcement and way they treated core games after that, and up to the xbox one launch debacle it will take them a lot to get that trust back. Namely I want to see less corporate assholes like mattrick (how he stuck around so long i don't know) and more passionate gamers working for them. MS needs a Shu and Boyes. They have Phil Spencer but he still seems like he's just tugging the corporate line.

I also didn't want to invest in a system that would end up like the 360, MS putting support in to it in the early years and then dropping it again for stuff like kinect.

I will probably buy one eventually but it's going to depend on the game output and how they sustain that. Things like the Tomb Raider deal doesn't count, that does the opposite for me. I'm not going to buy a console for a timed exclusive that was previously multi plat. It would have been much cooler if MS used that money instead for getting new games with developers that needed it (ex: Itagaki).

In short: I want to see passion for gaming from the guys in charge. Want them to be passionate about gaming the same way us gaffers are.

I think the things that would turn around the console for me would be:

Changing the XbLive requirement for multiplayer games: This would be a huge advantage over PS+ this generation and would generate a lot of goodwill towards the company. This would be coupled with XbLive being what it is and keep offering free games while subscribed.

Lower the price: The machine is underpowered and offers less (power) than it's counterpart yet they charge the same.

First party kinect games/features: It doesn't need to be games, it could be things that make life easier while using this thing. Since they could only be done on Xbone it would be a huge advantage over the competition. Also better dance games, those are great fun.

I think the first two would make me change my mind. The games are already coming out and I don't think extra exclusives are going to make people like/dislike the console more.

FladamPlays

Neo Member
The sheer arrogance displayed during the XBONE reveal has soured me on the entire Microsoft gaming experience. They should have known better.

Additionally, due to this arrogance, I view each one of their "backtracks" with an incredibly cynical eye..

SFenton

Pretty simple for me this is why i dont buy a Xbox one.

1. I dont want kinect in my house
2. I dont like the direction they are taking with it TV, sports, DRM, no used games
3. I was not happy with MS exlusive for the end of the 360 era
4. Its not released in my country

For these reasons i decided to go with playstation this generation i was a 360 guy last one. I wont be buying a Xbone and i wont be paying for two live subscriptions its just not worth it for me.

1 and 2 don't even apply, and your live sub carries over from 360 to One.

First of all, apologies. They shouldn't apologize for anything, instead they should create the best experience possible for the consumers while being consumer and developer friendly.

It's true their hardware is weaker and putting it at the same price as the PS4 might sound wrong to some here but actually dropping the price to 350$ or 300$ won't save them (see WiiU) because the consumer will think it's just a "weaker PS4, that's why it's cheaper". They must play with whatever first party/ip's they have, increasing the console value, making sure people recognize that they can't play those games anywhere else.

With that comes the creation of first-party studios. They don't need to make tons of them, just make 2-3 more and make them work closely with each other. 2 studios should try and do something "for the player" and not for the money (of course they care about it). What I mean is devote 2 studios to making niche games, smaller ones, with a low budget. Then the other studios could be use for those AAA games everyone loves.

Don't forget MS: your console value comes from the exclusives, not third parties. Drop that COD support you love, drop the moneyhats and use that money to create some studios. Let people know they can trust you as a game publisher because first party games sell your console. Be more serious about it.

Brand recognition, Microsoft, increase your brand recognition by having exclusive IP's. I can say it again if you want it MS.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Making Xbox Live free would be an absolute atom bomb. Desperation attempt, yes, but it would win back hearts and minds.

The logistics of compensating those with outstanding subscriptions beyond the date of price change would be a bit difficult though.

Even a price drop to $20/year would be a huge deal.

RMI

Banned
There's no way they can compete at the same price point as Sony because the difference console power has been extensively documented via multiplatform comparisons since release, so they need to drop the price further. Barring that, they need to offer a more competitive eco-system, something they're still not doing and likely can't due to Sony's ability to provide value with PS+ over 3 platforms. Really the only place I can imagine them making a turn around is with the games. If they can get exclusives on the scale of what Gears of War and the first Mass Effect game were last gen, along with reinvigorating Halo then they might be able to catch up, but these would have to be absolutely huge, innovative, amazing games.

If that last thing happens I can see myself buying one, but I don't know how they could attract such games to a losing platform aside from huge moneyhatting, and that already failed once with Titanfall.

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm not looking for an apology. I don't own an Xbox, and I bet that anyone who does isn't looking for an apology either. I'm just tired of the exclusivity deals. It's something that bugged me with the 360 also. Microsoft isn't using their resources to create new experiences, they're just using their resources to prevent other people from playing something they otherwise would have. Instead of paying to keep Titanfall exclusive to Xbox One, how about you invest money into your own franchise that you can call your own. Am I really supposed to believe that EA and the creators of Call of Duty would have had trouble selling their games if it wasn't for MS? I don't believe that at all. How about creating the next Halo, or the next Gears, the next big franchise with your own cash rather than using cash to prevent those franchises from coming to other consoles.

Which brings up point 2. Really think about what you wanted to accomplish with the Xbox One. What you wanted to do with digital only, what you wanted to do with Kinect. With every 180, the device lost part of it's identity. As it is now, the console MS put out is unrecognizable to the one they revealed last year and more like the poor man's PS4. Maybe that's a good thing, but it also shows a lack of vision for the product you guys are selling. The frequent price cuts, Kinect removal, discounted bundles, and the initial 180 show a distinct lack of outline for this console. Like you guys weren't prepared or just had little faith in your own product. Or maybe too much faith in Sony's because you thought it was better than yours. That's an easy problem to fix, imo. Just make a clear identity for the Xbox One. This console is for "..."

Porcile

I don't think I'll buy one anytime soon but I would certainly reconsider if they can fund some more Japanese exclusives like Scalebound and Phantom Dust.

Einhander

I think it's too late for any major turn-around. PS4 has been in the hearts and minds of consumers. The shift of console of choice is clear by the majority.

With that being said, Microsoft should focus on new IPs, and not just one or two, but ten. It doesn't matter if it's first party or third party, but relying on Halo as your staple franchise to drive Xbox One sales is hardly enough.

Anth0ny

I don't own an Xbox One, but I'm interested in purchasing one.

* Is it an outright apology that you're looking for?
* Acknowledgement that their first take wasn't just something that we weren't ready for, but actually did not want?

To me, the whole 180 and dropping Kinect was the apology I was looking for. I don't hold a grudge against them for all the bullshit they tried to pull. It's over, I've moved on, I don't care about that shit anymore.

* Additional exclusive partnerships similar to Tomb Raider?

Sure. While I'm a PC and PS4 owner, third party exclusives always help set your console apart. I'm not the kind of person who is going to cry about a company "stealing games from my favorite console".

I'm not particularly interested in Tomb Raider one way or another, but if a third party game I'm interested in was once multiplatform and is now Xbox exclusive... they're doing their job in convincing me to purchase an Xbox.

* More money committed to 1st party development?

Absolutely. I've said it many times, if they release a new Banjo Kazooie, I'm buying an Xbox One, no questions asked. I'd like to see more Rare games on Xbox, since the rest of their first party output isn't all that interesting to me.

* Significant price cuts?

I think $299 is the sweet spot for Xbox One. It's clearly less powerful than the PS4, so they shouldn't be equally priced. To me, even Wii U is a better value at this point. If they aren't getting the best versions of multiplatform games, they have to rely on their exclusives. The exclusives they've released and the exclusives they've announced aren't worth investing in a $400 console at this time.

* Specific genre development?

I'd definitely like to see more platformers, which is a void Rare can fill.

* Removal of the indie parity clause?

I honestly don't care, this has not affected me once.

Scalebound, Halo: Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 have me on the verge. Give me a price cut and Banjo Kazooie and I'm there.

Omega

Banned
If you're already an owner, what do you think will help bring gamers around?

Unfortunately nothing.

PS3 was a fuck up from launch and Sony didn't "change" until that PSN hack where they pretty much had no choice. We all know their infamous quotes by now. Most people didn't hold a grudge, they just waited until games came out and the priced dropped.

There wasn't frustration that games would dip below 30fps and performed/looked worse compared to the Xbox 360. In fact the blame was never put onto Sony. It was put onto the developers for being lazy. Xbox One games run at a lower res than the PS4, and their games somehow become unplayable trash.

The old regime is gone from Sony. Now it's #Cernydagod #basedyosp #CEOKaz and everyone embraces them which is fine. However, people still old this grudge against MS even though their old regime is gone. People cried they didn't want the NSA Box, Phil comes in and the Xbox is no longer what Mattrick envisioned yet I've seen numerous people STILL complain and say "well they don't know what they want their system to be so why should i care!"

Then to top it all off. People rejoice when games like Ryse, Dead Rising, Halo, etc. get announced/rumored for PC because "omg I don't have to buy an Xbox now!" but then wanna jump for joy when some broken piece of shit like Day Z gets announced for PS4 and call it a megaton. Which by the way you can also play on the PC but comfy couch or something i guess

Microsoft is forever in a lose-lose simply by being Microsoft. They could give Xbox away for free and do away with Xbox Live and people will still find something to bitch about.

Heroman

Banned
THe problem with xbox one is that I already own a ps4 so most games I want will be on that system. The only game one xbone I want right now would be halo 5 but even than I still worry it might be halo 4 part 2.

Hystzen

The whole reveal and what they had planned is still planted in peoples head. Suspect that people like me think that all they did was patch it out what happens if decide slowly patch it back it. I know they not that stupid to do that but the idea still in head.

TomShoe

Banned
In the realm of exclusives, I would like more 2nd party exclusives, that is, taking ideas for games from studios and providing a full development budget to make said game. That, or leveraging existing IPs, and contracting 3rd party studios to create games, much like how Sony operates with Sanzaru Games and the Sly Cooper franchise.

Paying other studios to make games for you isn't a bad thing, as long as it's a "Bayonetta" type exclusive in that the game wouldn't have ever been made without it. I draw the line at just providing a sum of money for an exclusive a platform holder never had any involvement in creating, whether in providing funding or manpower. Sony does this to great effect, working with studios like Ready@Dawn, Sumo Digital, and From Software making titles like The Order, LBP, and Bloodborne. MS also seems to be getting the hang of this, and a title like Sunset Overdrive or Scalebound is a perfect example.

More first party titles wouldn't be bad either, but MS would have to fix it's current track record when it comes to acquiring and maintaining studios. Sony has acquired studios like Naughty Dog and Media Molecule, and both are still creating high quality games today. Microsoft could use improvement in this regard, Rare being the most notable example. The late TitusGroan said, "26 is greater than 10," and while that is true, I'd rather have 10 great games than 26 OK to mediocre ones.

All of this is just MO, but it would really make me more likely to buy an Xbox One.

Microsoft is forever in a lose-lose simply by being Microsoft. They could give Xbox away for free and do away with Xbox Live and people will still find something to bitch about.

Just because Microsoft's name is tarnished now doesn't mean that it can't be repaired. There was lots of disdain for Sony after the debacle that was the early years of the PS3. Their standing only improved in our eyes only improved after they gave us games and good customer service--what we wanted, basically.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I think it's too late for any major turn-around. PS4 has been in the hearts and minds of consumers. The shift of console of choice is clear by the majority.

Pretty sure people were calling the PS3 a failure after the first year and that came back strong.

Stimpack

Honestly, I don't know what they would have to do to turn things around for me. They've built such a reputation for themselves and how they run things over the years. The Xbox One launch was really just a culmination of what they had become over the years. While I think it's great that they're trying to turn things around, I don't believe that they're interested in actually changing anything. I feel like the minute they feel that the tide has shifted and they have the consumers on their side again, they'll likely fall into their "old" ways.

I'm not one to praise a company for correcting their mistakes. I believe a company should be praised for not making those mistakes in the first place. I feel they have issues with first party development, third party relations, consumer relations, and lack of direction. It's a difficult situation, because there's just so much that's wrong and needs to be fixed.

That said, I do want them to fix their issues. I don't think it would be good for the industry to lose Microsoft. I hope that one day all of this will be in the past, and we can look forward to a brighter future. They have the means to make great strides in the industry, they just have to actually be smart about it and hopefully not screw people over in the process.

To add onto what I said before, I believe that aside from the more internal stuff, I would just like to see something interesting. I feel like most of what Microsoft has to offer is very shallow. Kinect and rumble triggers just don't strike me as interesting, at all. I think that there's a lot worth exploring in terms of game development as well as how we interact with our games. I think this stagnation in the industry is a big part of why there's so much talk about the Oculus Rift. People want new and interesting experiences, and there aren't many out there that are trying to offer that. Ultimately, regardless of everything else, people are interested in fun. That's the point of these machines. It's not even necessarily "all about the games" it's more about having a good time and letting yourself get absorbed in something. That's the kind of thing that they need to offer.

Barzul

Xbox One (and PS4) owner. I want them to have their first party studios tackle different genres. If 343i is only going to do Halo, at least give us a different perspective, maybe instead of an FPS make an RPG of some sort based in the universe. I'd also like to see more new Microsoft-owned IP even if it has to be developed by other studios. I just hate to have another scenario like what we seem to be getting with Crytek and Ryse 2.

Keep pumping out the OS updates, announce more apps, the virtual assistant (Cortana) also seems like an interesting concept. I also want to see the cloud stuff they've been talking about actually work and work effectively. I like some of the stuff they've announced so far like streaming to tablet and mkv support. More of that.

Give the 1st party studios more freedom (Rare and Lionhead for example) and maybe even acquire some studios that MS has formed close relationships with i.e Playground, Undead Labs, Remedy.

I just want more features and games. If they're compelling enough, gamers will buy the box.

le.phat

It's not hard really. 8 years ago, when all the big games went to x360, what did Sony do? They said they wouldn't go down that road but instead wanted to invest in first party titles. It took years to reap the rewards, but they never wavered. And now the Sony stalls are considered equal to Nintendo, with many, high profile, cutting edge, experimental, award winning games, and a big stall of developers who are loyal and commited to their publisher.

Even when the games don't sell gangbusters, they get exposure at expo's, they get marketing, and they keep on getting greenlit by sony. That's all vision.

Now compare this to Microsoft. They become the number 1 selling console, and the first thing they try with the trust earned by the masses ? Not try and better the value proposition, but try to better their grasp on the market and make.more.money.
The minute the numbers come back from the marketing department, what do they do? Even if its complete shit, they instantly give up on everything they were working on, planning for years. The message is altered almost every two weeks,and is melticuously massaged into something similiar to Sony's. They abandon their vision. They start flaying, willing to drop anything and everything to find something that resonates with the community.

So what it all boils down to is this: If Microsoft somehow strikes gold, and manages to land a series so special, so defining, and most of all, exclusively built for the platform, i will be there.
But as long as they keep focussing on the same fucking tired franchises, buy a exlusivity window or two, and basically cannot assert to me that they stand for something unique, and something i can always rely on in the future ( take a guess... a vision), then i simply do not care for them and their spineless approach to being a big player in this industry.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I think both would help MS more than buying up timed exclusives. MS will never do (2), but I believe it's highly relevant. It seems like (sadly) most people are fine with paying one console subscription.

Nope, they won't change that. On the contrary, I expect all big companies in the console games business (Microsoft, Sony, EA, Ubisoft, ...) to expand subscription models by attaching more and more services to it. Subscriptions bring in predictable revenue, and most importantly, they chain consumers to an ecosystem, much like Apple.

If you are using one aspect of that ecosystem, and if you invest into it by paying a subscription fee, you are more likely to get everything from that one ecosystem. For instance, I buy apps and media from iTunes because all my computing stuff is from Apple. Similarly, Amazon is trying to do the same by bundling their services (Prime and digital media) into one subscription.

Similarly, Microsoft wants you to invest into their ecosystem and buy all your digital content from them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
First of all, thanks to everyone so far for keeping the responses (mostly) on the level requested. Cheers. I've added a poll to get a better idea how ownership breaks down - it's not limited to thread respondents, but so be it.

For those of you who mentioned the cost/value of Xbox LIVE versus PSN - would a subscription price cut suffice? The idea of paying for two console subscription services is a troublesome one for many people including myself. What do you think?

Killzig

PC/PS4 for me. No plans on getting an xbo. The games I really care about will all be on the PC. Reason I went for the PS4 this gen was more power and a UI that didn't seem like it only wanted me around to sell ad space (yeah, I am not a fan of any xbox UIs after the blades). Maybe it's a bit of an overreaction on my part, all corporations do it, but using xbox live somehow feels slimier.

I've said it many times, but I need to see that Microsoft gives a shit for gamers outside of the States. For years now they've been catering to their home country and, at least in the past gen, charging the same amount for XBox Live. During their reveal they announced they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on an NFL deal. A deal that for the most part only interests one country out of many. It makes me angry to think where else that money could have gone. The same can be said about the guide overlay for TV. Hell, people in the UK apparently consider having an HDMI in with Sky+ as completely useless.

They need to think outside of their own country for once. Once I see that I may jump back in.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The example I use as an Xbox 360 owner last generation is this:

I buy apples from Store A. I've been buying apples there for years. One week, I bite into an apple and it's full of worms. The next week, I cautiously buy another apple and it has worms in too.

Store B announces they have certified worm-free apples in stock, that also taste a little bit nicer. Not much, but noticeable. Now that I'm eating nicer worm-free apples, I'm incredibly reluctant to eat apples any more from Store A, even though they have a sign in their window saying that all the worms are gone.

Microsoft have gotten rid of the worms that scared me off, now they need to convince me why their apple is still worth eating alongside my new ones. I need a decent amount of exclusives that aren't just first and third-person shooters 'with a twist' like Titanfall and Quantum Break. An exclusive game like D4 is what makes me consider an Xbox One now and they need to make their gaming side of things stand out.

I love this analogy

Honestly, anyone asking for a price cut for any system at this point in the generation is misguided, IMO. People would pay $500 for a tablet with 16gigs of memory, of course they'll pay for gaming/multimedia console that has (about) half a terabyte of memory for $400.

Edit: I'll never understand why so many people constantly ask for a price cut that's so steep, it wouldn't normally happen until 3-5 years into the console's lifespan.

Guevara

I just plain don't trust Microsoft. I'm going to wait a few years and see that they don't do anything awful

Catch me at the tail end of this gen, I might buy an Xbox One around then.

Percy

Banned
All in on first party investment before anything else, fund some new IPs with that cash instead of paying third parties to cockblock other platforms, and yes, removing any and all bullshit obstacles to indie developers publishing on their consoles as easily as they can on any other platform.

Shiokazu

its not about the consoles for me... not about the Microsoft or partners. its simply about what games are being released and which console have more games i want to play. its simple to understand, there are a few scenarios to be analyzed.

Multiplataform games i care about having better performace + exclusives i care about + price = console i'll buy.

even thought i play for no console loyalty, and i do prefer everyone being able to play everything they want to play on their console of choice, thats how i make my choice in the end.

its very simple, really. if i am to buy MS console, they have to throw in the best performace on multiplataform and bring nice exclusives i care about, their price is already very good right now.

First of all, thanks to everyone so far for keeping the responses (mostly) on the level requested. Cheers. I've added a poll to get a better idea how ownership breaks down - it's not limited to thread respondents, but so be it.

For those of you who mentioned the cost/value of Xbox LIVE versus PSN - would a subscription price cut suffice? The idea of paying for two console subscription services is a troublesome one for many people including myself. What do you think?

I think it would. I think $25 a a year would be a lot more palatable.

price point... i'll get one down the road when its $300 or less with a packed in game. as of right now, the higher performing machine which i already own is cheaper

i already pay for live on my 360 so no issues with a second sub

beyond that they dont need to do anything, there are a few decent exclusives out now which i would pick up with it

That comes down to having a game I need to play and can only play on Live, which doesn't exist yet. Other than that, I see no reason to pay money to play with a smaller group of people (going purely off of sales).

Start revealing and releasing interesting exclusives that provide a different experience than PS4 and the multiplats. Basically, more Sunset Overdrive. Awesome exclusives that distinguish themselves by game play (as opposed to story or graphics) are the one thing that can bridge the power gap. Start by showing some actual game play at next year's E3.

Hmmmm. Honestly? I'd prefer they go the other way and keep the price as is, but boost the value of the services you get from it.

From like 04 to 2010, while PC people weren't happy with the cost, a large majority of people had never played online multiplayer before, yours truly included. So that was a huge value for me. Not anymore.

Games with Gold is a great start, I'd like to see that branch out more. Some random free movie rentals? Other services that can be baked in? Didn't they bake some bonus for Skype into Gold? Stuff like that.

The price isn't my main issue, it's the value of the service that always gets me.

For me personally, the purchase decision has already been made, and there is nothing MS can do to convince me to buy xbone. Its not stubbornness, its the fact that I have already spent my money. I would be interested in xbox again for next gen.

Slayven

MS has been to wishy washy, can't invest in something when the circumstances might change from month to month. I think they would have been better served to weather the backlash and stated on message.

Well, they took the apps out from it, but kept it the same price, which leads you to believe that even in their minds, apps being behind the wall were not adding to the value of Gold, they were just there because they wanted to tell you the sub.

When they removed the apps from Gold, they should have slashed the price at least $10-20. Now, I know that's a huge deal for them, and I'm sure they are justifying the price being the same because now they added Games with Gold which wasn't previously there.

I think it could do with a price cut of $10-20.

Nafai1123

Banned
The thing that bothers me the most about supporting the XB1 is that, despite the turn around they've made to many policies, none of it actually feels genuine. Yes, these are companies after all and they want to make money, but there could be a marketing class on the stark difference between how Sony and MS have attempted to build good will. After the whole TR debacle yesterday, it's clear that nothing has changed. They intentionally attempted to deceive consumers, and they yet again got called out for it.

It's like they don't realize that consumers have smartened up. They thought we were dumb when they revealed the console, they thought we were dumb when they obfuscated the DRM plans, they thought we were dumb when they back peddled on the DRM plans (you just weren't ready for it).

I have nothing against MS as a company. I will end up getting a XB1 sometime down the road (probably when it hits $300). But feeble attempts at convincing me that the XB1 is the only place I'll get to play certain 3rd party games isn't going to work. In fact, it does quite the opposite to my position. Parity clauses that shoehorn small developer into working on one console or the other isn't going to work either. It also does quite the opposite.

I want this market to thrive and succeed, and as it stands right now I really believe we are in the best position to do that with Sony at the helm. The sheer number of new unique announcements yesterday blew me away, especially considering Gamescom is not really known for having many new announcements. I believe this generation could have the biggest variety of content ever, and it will come from everywhere under the sun (FTP/indie/1st party/3rd party/etc).

I guess what I'm saying is, I want MS to CONTRIBUTE to the market instead of merely trying to control it. I want them to take risks with new IP's. I want them to cut the bullshit with smaller developers. I want them to add value to their subscription service instead of just trying to match up with the competition. I want them to treat the consumer with the respect they deserve. It's our money and it's our market, not theirs. You don't control the voice of the people, and any attempt to do so will be met with contempt. So fucking quit it with the bullshit and start being honest.

Damaniel

Banned
The tl;dr answer for me is 'it's all about the games!', but there's a little more nuance than that, obviously.

10-15 years ago, a much larger percentage of the games on a console were exclusive to one system - yes, there were lots of multiplats, but there were also lots of games unique to a particular system. These days (well, starting in the previous generation, but even more so now), the vast majority of the titles coming out on the consoles are multiplats. The cost of development has risen high enough (and the systems have become related enough, hardware-wise) to make multiplats the rule, not the exception. As a result, when 90% of the games on a console are going to be available on all consoles, the only way to convince someone to buy more than one console is to have exclusives that make the console worth the price of admission.

In my case, I've already bought a PS4, and barring some magical software changes, I expect to buy every multiplat on PS4, regardless of how many systems I eventually own. Why play on relatively underpowered hardware if given the choice? However, if the Xbox One manages to snag enough exclusives that make me want to buy the system, I'll buy it. For example, I've never actually played a Halo game. Ever. But the Halo Collection coming out this fall is almost enough by itself to make me consider getting an Xbox One. I know that if I want to play those remakes that the Xbox One is the only place where I can. Same with games like Quantum Break, Forza or (yes, even) Tomb Raider. I might not care about each of those games individually as much as I do Halo (or something exclusive on PS4 like Driveclub), but given a large enough body of interesting games I can't get elsewhere, I can be motivated to buy the console.

In my case, system cost isn't (directly) an issue. I picked the PS4 over Xbox One initially because it provided more powerful hardware for lower cost, but I'm willing to pay Microsoft's current asking price if the games are compelling - hell, I would have paid the old price, and unlike many, I actually *like* the idea of Kinect, even if it's not being used to the extent it could be. I'm not looking for any apologies from Microsoft, though I could certainly use a little bit less of their astroturfing campaign. If Microsoft can promise me anything that would affect my decision of when to buy, it would be that they're working to bring more compelling, exclusive games to the system. (That, and to never EVER think about implementing any of the phone home/DRM stuff that got them into trouble when they first announced the console.)

Top Bottom