• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Breaking Down Bloodborne's Combat System

Orayn

Not entirely sure if this qualifies as new news, but there are some specific tidbits about controls, mechanics, and design philosophy that I didn't see before.

The idea of "truly perilous combat" was reiterate again and again during the presentation. Whereas the Souls series is known for its measured combat system – many players, myself included, spent a great deal of time behind a shield, sussing out the weaknesses of new opponents. Bloodborne definitely still has that aspect to its combat – more on that below – but there's a different flavour to the overall style. Miyazaki and his team want to draw players into something they're terming "mortal combat" and a "rally of deadly blows". Shields encourage tentative combat in some, and that safety has been removed.

Another way in which the player is being encouraged to be more daring is the ‘Regain System’. When you receive damage from your opponents, you have a limited period of time in which to get some of that health back by landing your own attacks. The window is brief and rewards the brave. When you’re low on health, you can choose to attack, and hope to win back some health in the process, or in a more traditional fashion, choose to retreat and use a health item.

It’s an interesting system, and one of the intentions is to make the game feel less punishing, even though the producers reiterated that the overall challenge of the Souls games will remain firmly in places.

“Miyazaki looks at the health gauge not as health. It’s your power of will to go on. And as that goes down you’re plunging into despair but in combat as you get hit. If you think about if you’re in that situation in real life, straight after it happens you can still get your hope back by landing your own attacks. But if you leave it for too long, you’re plunge into more and more despair. When your health reaches zero, that’s complete despair, but until that happens you’re still alive, and you can still go on and get your hope back. And it’s that hope and despair and power of will combined. He just doesn’t see a health gauge and that’s how it’s implemented in Bloodborne.”

There’s a red gauge denoting health in the top left-hand corner of the screen, with a green bar directly below measuring your stamina. Business as usual. Both are joined on the left hand side by a blood stain containing a number (if you’ve played Dark Souls, it looks roughly equivalent the number of hard humanity). This is now your number of health items, which is permanently equipped and separated from other consumables. The assumption is that you’re always going to be in dire need of health so it’s always mapped to the triangle button.

But there’s a secondary motivation behind this change and it’s to encourage players to explore and experiment with other items, which are now displayed directly below the stamina bar. One example shown was throwing oil onto enemies followed by a flaming torch – the oil increases the enemies flammability and the overall damage inflicted.

Transformable weapons potentially support up to three move sets, adding even greater depth and sophistication. They can also be used in different ways, such as transforming one mid-combo can how an interesting side-effect – it might stagger an enemy or knock an important item out of their hand. There’s also the ability to charge up certain weapons for more powerful attacks. The amount of ‘regain’ will also vary between weapons. So there's lot of need concepts and combinations to consider and experiment with.

And while attacking options might be expanding, Yamagiwa reiterated that Bloodborne won't be an “exaggerated hack and slash game". Practice and experience are indispensable. As always, you need to learn situation and master your weapons.

Full article is here.

Orayn

That is very interesting and sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah, I like that they're treating HP a bit more like vitality in D20 Modern and Star Wars Roleplaying game.

Confirming that not every weapon recovers the same amount of health is also good news for anyone who was worried it would mean you could stay at full health all the time by constantly attacking.

UrbanRats

I'm glad they're sidestepping away from the Souls series more than i was expecting them to.

The core is still clearly there, but i'm ready to move on to new things in this sense.
One problem i had with Dark Souls 2, was how utterly predictable everything felt, which is antithetic to what Souls games are supposed to be.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I love that they are shaking up this system to be more on the offensive. Mastery of the mechanics is probably going to feel even better than mastery in DeS, DS1 and DS2 because you'll be tearing ass.

Taking away the shield and forcing you to keep enemies stunned using your weapons as your sole defensive tactic is going to be so fucking intense. My god.

The part about the enemy old hags cackling sounds fun, creepy and offputting in that classic 'Souls' way.

Towards the end of the presentation, it was made absolutely clear that the team working on Bloodborne is ‘Team Miyazaki’, the group responsible for Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls. And while Dark Souls 2 is a great game for me its world and character design always felt slightly off, like it was made by a slightly different group and guided by a different set of principles.
It's all too beautiful. @_@

Drencrom

I'm glad they're sidestepping away from the Souls series more than i was expecting them to.

The core is still clearly there, but i'm ready to move on to new things in this sense.
One problem i had with Dark Souls 2, was how utterly predictable everything felt, which is antithetic to what Souls games are supposed to be.

My exact thoughts

Neff

Agreed. The Souls games are awesome, but after three near-identically playing games, I'm ready for the philosophy behind Souls to adapt and flourish - which seems to be what's happening. I'm very excited.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Agreed. The Souls games are awesome, but after three near-identically playing games, I'm ready for the philosophy behind Souls to adapt and flourish - which seems to be what's happening. I'm very excited.

Exactly. They are taking everything I love about the franchise but overhauling some core mechanics in a very interesting way. I can't wait to try it out.

SerTapTap

When you receive damage from your opponents, you have a limited period of time in which to get some of that health back by landing your own attacks. The window is brief and rewards the brave. When you’re low on health, you can choose to attack, and hope to win back some health in the process, or in a more traditional fashion, choose to retreat and use a health item.

This sounds good! I rarely like playing on the defensive, and I've almost never seen a game give you incentive to lash out when taking damage like that. Defense is usually my last priority when speccing out skills and stuff.

shwimpy

Towards the end of the presentation, it was made absolutely clear that the team working on Bloodborne is ‘Team Miyazaki’, the group responsible for Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls. And while Dark Souls 2 is a great game for me its world and character design always felt slightly off, like it was made by a slightly different group and guided by a different set of principles.
infinite-yes-daniel-bryan.gif

Yeah, this system sounds amazing. It seems like it will reward quick thinking and player skill moreso than the Souls games. I'm glad this clears up the "Less punishing" comment also even though people will continue to take it out of context all the way up to release!

Sayad

Towards the end of the presentation, it was made absolutely clear that the team working on Bloodborne is ‘Team Miyazaki’, the group responsible for Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls.
I hope this put an end to the "there's no B team" stuff.

Sami+

This game is hitting all the right notes for me. After the massive disappointment that Dark Souls II was, it feels good to be really excited for a Souls game again.

Miyazaki looks at the health gauge not as health. It’s your power of will to go on. And as that goes down you’re plunging into despair but in combat as you get hit. If you think about if you’re in that situation in real life, straight after it happens you can still get your hope back by landing your own attacks. But if you leave it for too long, you’re plunge into more and more despair

When you receive damage from your opponents, you have a limited period of time in which to get some of that health back by landing your own attacks. The window is brief and rewards the brave. When you’re low on health, you can choose to attack, and hope to win back some health in the process, or in a more traditional fashion, choose to retreat and use a health item

Based legendary big M _O_, was woried it was just gonna be another Souls game, glad it's not.

ohh boy, this sounds amazing. Dance of death mechanics :)

Gonna be another level of mind games with deciding when and how to attack.

pixlexic

Banned
Crap I was worried they might try to change the combat.

I hope they didn't change it too much.

I'm still very optimistic though. They haven't let me down yet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So when you're down to your last health, we can expect to see some wild shit?

Full on despair mode. Bleeding from every side of your body. Desperate scythe hits make enemies explode on impact, shotgun blasts so ridiculous you'll be blown back stumbling.

Oh god.

Cornbread78

So when you're down to your last health, we can expect to see some wild shit?

Full on despair mode. Bleeding from every side of your body. Desperate scythe hits make enemies explode on impact, shotgun blasts so ridiculous you'll be blown back stumbling.

Oh god.

Speed attacks will be very important when you come to think about it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Crap I was worried they might try to change the combat.

I hope they didn't change it too much.

I'm still very optimistic though. They haven't let me down yet.

Why would you not want them to try something a little bit new with a new game in a new series? The melee system has been pretty much the same for 3 games now. I welcome any form of evolution in that area.

ohh boy, this sounds amazing. Dance of death mechanics :)

Gonna be another level of mind games with deciding when and how to attack.

Dance of death mechanics ...

I like that.

Like that alot.

Kind of what I described here

Yeah just imagine a fight with a Red Knight or something like that.

He charges in with sword up, lunges at you with a huge swing. You parry and strike. As your 2nd strike hits you see his sword coming around and nails you hard, half health gone but the knight is immediately performing a 2nd swing. No chance for a counter, shit. The knight continues to swing away while you backpeddle and parry around waiting for an opening. Finally get one and land a few strike, then you go for it and perform a jumping strike that would end him but the Knight parry's out of the way and you automatically see the next blow he WILL land. You survive the strike, barely and decide to do the only thing you can, this fight isn't going your way. You do a backstep into a lunging strike with your sword that lands as the Knights hand is upraised about to swing. Parry strike parry, things are looking up and so is your health. Have to be careful though, one more hit and your toast.

Shit like that is what I have in my head, but you know .. using Demons Souls since can't use Bloodborne * sob *

Where battles will be filled with these quick reactions and quick decision making that could potential get you killed more then it saves you. A dance of death, yup.

Sorc3r3r

I was hoping exactly that.
Soul serie has its path, and we will get more of that gameplay in the next iteration.

I wanted something new, different, twisted.

Seems that Bloodborn will be this.

Mupod

Not sure how I feel about losing my safety blanket since I play Souls games very methodically and like the feeling of being a highly-prepared adventurer in a hostile world.

But on the other hand I love counterattack mechanics, probably my biggest problem with dark souls 2 is how awkward they made those.

Definitely sounds more interesting than the previous attempts at dual wielding in the series and I'm looking forward to seeing some weapon transformations. Sounds a bit like the Switchaxe in MH.

Aces&Eights

Lord, I want to play this game so bad. The fights are going to be intense. The art direction just adds to the depression. Bumbling around on a sliver of health, trying to do a change up or weapon transformation as you pray to God you have enough time. ..

This game will be next year's two week vacation at work.

Is there blocking or shielding whatsoever? Or is dodging your only defensive mechanic?? I saw enemies block.

As stated above, you now block with your face.

We don't know. Maybe some weapons have a form of blocking as part of their moveset, but it's not a given.

Would be cool if like the 2H scythe you could block with but if you get hit by a massive hammer strike from that big ogre, for example, it could snap the 2H wep in half and you lose one half and now can only use the bladed portion or the blunt portion, other piece is lost.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I was wondering if a developer was ever going to pick up on what Relic did with Health in space marine. Regain health by kicking more ass instead of running away like a coward.

Orayn

Really curious how the health regain aspect is going to affect pvp. definitely sounds interesting though.

I imagine it would have to be toned down or disabled for PvP, since that's a situation where you're (hopefully) talking about people having similar amounts of health and damage output.

Dance with death makes me wonder what this games Praise The Sun/Prepare to Die "thing" will be...I really like Dance with Death though! lol

But still nobody has answered the most pressing question...

Is there a pause button?
;P I kid, I kid!

Seriously though??

#SIMFA

Give it to me!

Foggy

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this sounds brilliant. If the concept is fully realized through execution then this is gonna be even more amazing than I've been anticipating!

Top Bottom