• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hauppauge using Robin Williams death to promote getting sponsorship.

JSoup

Banned
qHhU7Yl.png

#ForShame

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hauppauge

Mithos

Online stores that sell DVD/Blu-Ray started pushing Robin William movies in their mailinglists after his death too.

Nemmy

Hey, look at this marketing stunt we're pulling! Also a celebrity just died!

...seriously, who in their right mind could think this is anything close to a good idea?

I have no idea what's happening here, and I consider myself pretty decent at this whole internet thing. Why is throwing a little sentiment to Robin Williams while asking for money a bad thing?

riotous

Banned
Why are people so confused by the "hacked" thing?

That's their.. joke.. if you will.

HEY GUYS A GENIE HACKED OUR ACCOUNT AND IS GIVING AWAY SPONSORSHIP DEALS ON INSTRAGRAM, CHECK IT OUT! #RIP ROBIN WILLIAMS

They were not hacked, are not actually claiming they were hacked, etc.

Nemmy

I have no idea what's happening here, and I consider myself pretty decent at this whole internet thing. Why is throwing a little sentiment to Robin Williams while asking for money a bad thing?

I don't think a marketing offer that has nothing to do with Robin Williams aside from a hashtag is "throwing a little sentiment".
That tweet has nothing to do with him, aside from the hashtag.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
We forget sometimes that money, power, and sympathy are more important. This is clearly a sign. If I were to ask for someone's help I would not use such a crisis to do so. This just draws attention.

Krejlooc

Banned

Robin williams tributes are trending. By including these hashtags in their post, it gets to ride the wave of robin williams posts. So, when people go to search for robin williams stuff, they will see this advertisement.

They threw that hashtag on specifically to market to people who are mourning robin william's death.

element

I can just see the cubical meeting.

CM: How about running a promotion with a genie that gives away prizes!
Marketing Dude: YES! Great idea!
CM: Oh shit! Robin Williams just died. That is sad!
Marketing Dude: Didn't Robin Williams play a genie in Aladdin? Let's add some hashtags in there to get some extra eyes on it.
CM: Great idea! We will reach a lot more people!

Disgusting.

Oh dude, fuck them. They're not even trying to hide their shitty motivation with the "In honor of Robin Williams life" angle which you expect after a high profile death (also shitty). They're just hashtagging #rip and #robinwilliams and using a picture of genie so that they show up in the trending topics feeds. Unabashed capitalization on the death of a public figure. Fuck them.

Krejlooc

Banned
I have absolutely no idea what this is about.

Are you familiar with metatags? Thats all hashtags are, little tags you can include in various forms of social media to inform what the content of your post/tweet/whatever is.

The reason you tag your posts is because these sites aggregate these posts by tags to let people filter and search for content. So like, I make a tweet:

"Oh man I just passed by Kobe Bryant in the gym!"

and I tag this tweet with #lakers

thus, when lakers fans are searching for hashtag lakers, my post is included in the recent results. This is sort of an honor system, as people need to appropriately tag their posts so that the system all works. Further, topics which are being discussed heavily begin to "trend." So like, if all of the sudden, a million posts tagged #lakers appeared on twitter, #lakers would trend. These sites keep running tabs of what is currently trending so people know what the general conversation of the internet is. Normally they'll have top 10 trending items or stuff like that, where people can go to see all the posts.

Well this is a gross misuse of that system. Since his death, robin williams has been trending constantly. Happauge just tagged an advertisement with the robin williams memorial tag so that when people go to search for robin williams stuff, this ad pops up.

Not only is it rude, it's a misuse of the tagging system.

EDIT: in short, this is basically spam sent to a memorial service

They're advertising it on Twitter too. How fucking stupid.

Seems like they're just voicing their grievances on Twitter and there's nothing fucked up like what's in the OP, unless they deleted it.

Edit: Wait, they have multiple Twitter accounts, I guess they could have on those.

Top Bottom