• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMESCOM / Impressions from the show floor

Great thread. Due to holidays I'm not able to visit Cologne this year ( which is kinda sad, because I live about an hour away, Netherlands that is ) so please....keep those impressions coming.

Riptwo

re: Driveclub jaggies - At PAX Prime last year, all of the games at Sony's booth looked awful because their demo units had horribly configured displays. It was like they were set to some awful "vibrant" preset with fully cranked sharpness. I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case again.

GlamFM

Banned
re: Driveclub jaggies - At PAX Prime last year, all of the games at Sony's booth looked awful because their demo units had horribly configured displays. It was like they were set to some awful "vibrant" preset with fully cranked sharpness. I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case again.

I suspect this could have been the case at GC as well.

Grisby

Great thread. I'm reading every bit here.

The Order sounds disappointing. Hope they can tune the controls and get it up to speed. Lotta time left to do it too.

Niven

Wouldn't that make all tracks look bad not just some of them?

Great that you mention this. I witnessed the same every year I visited Cologne. They spend millions on Gamescom and when you look at the sets it's kinda mindblowing that they are not calibrated or that the settings are completely off.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If anyone visited the indie mega booth, I'd really appreciate impressions for...

-Beat Buddy
-Tetrobot and Co.
-The Next Penelope
-Affordable Space Adventures
-Swords and Soldiers II

Thanks!
Edit: these May have been in the Nintendo booth as well?

The indie mega booth was really a pain to find, at list for me. I found it finally and I played Affordable Space Adventures. It's going to be as good as it sounds. While I played it I had a chat with the developers, they are really nice guys and passionate about their game. I copy/paste what I wrote in the game thread:
The idea behind the game and the execution (at list visually, because the sound was replaced by some dubsteb from a neighboring booth) is really great. A very atmospheric game.
I got quite fast a grip on the mechanics The whole "control your damn cheap space ship" is very nicely done with the Gamepad, you have there the engine control, the mass generator and the sensor and even more further on the game. I played the intro and it was easy, but I got some glance at a more difficult area and some very interesting puzzles based on your decision on how to control the ship and the detection type of enemy sensors. I also liked some of the details, like that you can't steer the ship underwater (except for increasing and increasing the mass of the spaceship) because you can't use its engine there.
The developers were saying that the game is 98% ready but they will spend some month on polishing it to be as they want it so this will be probably released at the beginning of 2015, but I think it will turn out into a great game.

There was no indie at Nintendo booth this time.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How does the interaction work on an ipad?
Top down helicopter (drone) view of the city. Very zoom able from what I could tell, it adjusts the elevation of the drone the player controlled it seemed. Was a realtime representation of what went on on the Xbox, not just a map screen. The drone player seemed genuinely useful in combat too, highlighting enemies and providing actual support in encounters, stuns, grenades etc.

nib95

Banned

Ahhh, has the curse of the Dynamic Mode stricken again? It's unfortunately the default setting on many TV's these days. Totally over exposes and brutalises colours, and also adds a crap tonne of sharpness, edge enhancements and halo'ing.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Is Tripwire Interactive at Gamescom at all ? If so could someone go and hound them for more details on Killing Floor 2 ? :)

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't spend much time in the EA booth outside of their conference. FIFA is one of those titles I'm buying regardless. It does seem like an actual upgrade this time around rather than just surface changes.

thanks, yeah! i really can't wait till it comes out :D

Thanks for the impressions, everyone! Disappointed in The Order, but it sounds like it's the same build as the one used at E3, meaning the thermite rifle was the main focus.

I don't think that weapon is meant to be accurate. Reading articles from the media and RaD back then, it's a weapon meant to "spray" the enemies and then light them on fire, so perhaps that explains the clunkiness?

... it's a bit of a shock to me because whenever GAF gets into a console war in a thread, The Order is always brought up by SonyGAF as a massive upcoming game that will be an amazing exclusive. I just expected it to be... really good. I was looking forward to it based on the hype. That'll teach me I suppose :)

Seriously? Again with this shit, mocoworm? How old are you?

Vidpixel

Assassins Creed Unity
Incredibly detailed, and they seem to have changed up almost everything that made the other games feel formulaic. Pro change: you apparently no longer accidentally run up a wall repeatedly when trying to pass a corner, Game changer.

Thank the gods of Olympus. The various control changes to the parkour have me the most excited for this.

R3TRODYCE

Here are my impressions, some may seem a bit harsh but please keep in mind it is my opinion.

The Order: 1886

The games looks amazing, the voice acting ist pretty solid and that is everything good I can say about this game.
By far the worst game I have played/seen at Gamescom.
The controls felt very clunky and made it nearly impossible to aim, well.
To sum up the gameplay, you take cover behind sum thing, shoot couple guys, wait for other to spawn, shoot some more, Cutscene and than repeat shooting spawning enemys.

If there are any questions, I´ll be happy to answer them;-)

Yeesh.

Kssio_Aug

Those The Order impressions are quite worrysome. But this one specially:
Absolutely gorgeous, loved their cutscene to gameplay transitions but the game felt very clunky and the actual gameplay didn't impress me. Its aiming controls were way off, similar to Uncharted pre-patch, huge dead-zone. The aspect ratio and narrow FOV made your character cover 30% of the screen at all times. The demo had monster closets with infinite enemies you could make respawn by walking back and forth... Sincerely hope this doesn't turn out to be another over-hyped dud.

Damn... clunky shoot controls + bad field of view + enemies respawing on a TPS cover based game?? What the hell... I hope they fix the controls and that respawn thing there!

theDeeDubs

Some brief stuff:

Splatoon
Went to play it on a recommendation and yeah this was really damn fun to play. Nintendo knows how to generate pure fun. I really hope the game has non-inverted controls to choose upon release though, demo was invert or motion only.

Ugh so "up is down" is default?

As far as The Order goes, as long as the gameplay is serviceable I still want to play it for the atmosphere. Love the setting.

Dimmona

Neo Member
Since so many people seem to have loved the Yoshi floor demo, I'm curious whether or not it was the same demo Nintendo brought to San Diego ComicCon last month. In that demo, there were three levels of varying difficulty you could choose from (my son and I went with the hardest which was a desert themed level).

Overall I loved that demo quite a bit, but as someone who played the crap out of Kirby's Epic Yarn it really felt closer to that game to me than say Yoshi's Island. I'm curious if there was some new content/level design/game mechanics shown at Gamescom or if folks are being won over by being exposed to the cuteness overload of the yarn aesthetic for the first time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I actually played Splatoon with motion controls and it works really well. I only used the right stick once, when I needed to turn around really quick.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ugh so "up is down" is default?
Yeah so the motion control is inverted, which makes sense. You can turn off motion and use sticks instead, but it remains inverted with no option to change that.

I can understand demos not having customisable controls and settings, they can be laborious to implement, but at the same time if you're presenting at an event, have features so as many people as possible can enjoy it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Speaking of TVs, the ones at the Nintendo booth were awfully calibrated. Most of them at list. Either they are really cheap ones. How can they use such TVs/settings is beyond my understanding.

Kane1345

Really disappointing to hear all those negatives for The Order. I'm hoping this build is indeed old and they've made massive improvements.

It really seems like they need to sort out the basics in the Order...I mean how can they excel so much in some aspects and not be aware of some apparently glaring shortcommings?

Splatoon
Went to play it on a recommendation and yeah this was really damn fun to play. Nintendo knows how to generate pure fun. I really hope the game has non-inverted controls to choose upon release though, demo was invert or motion only.

I may have to buy Splatoon

How does aiming work in Sunset Overdrive? Is it just like a typical third person shooter or is there some kind of mechanic for locking onto enemies?

Ricker

Thanks for the impressions. Regarding the Order 1886, I am not to worried at this stage, they have a while to tweak the controls. There are so many mechanically sound TPS out there that they will have to have their head in the sand to mess this up.

Yeah and also,like many mentionned this is a story driven,atmospheric game...trying to judge a game like this on a Con floor and only being able to play it for 10 minutes is not a good indication I believe...I mean I am thankful for the impressions and all but I wouldn't worry too much about the game ''being'' a flop just yet lol ;)

matthieuC

The Sunset Overdrive impressions are interesting. On one hand I love how it takes skill to get the controls down well, but on the other, the frame rate sounds troublesome, especially so close to launch. I really hope they can still optimize at least a little before this game goes gold.

Thanks for these impressions everyone.

bigfurb

It really seems like they need to sort out the basics in the Order...I mean how can they excel so much in some aspects and not be aware of some apparently glaring shortcommings?

Not too concerned, the same demo got a lot of positive impressions a few months ago at E3. Also some of the complaints i've heard sound like some people are incorrectly using that thermite gun like it's a regular gun. Regardless, the game is 6 months away so they have time to fix these issues that some of these showgoers are talking about.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Jeez these order impressions, all the press had pretty good things to say at e3, I wonder if the aiming/controls have been adjusted since then.

The Sunset Overdrive impressions are interesting. On one hand I love how it takes skill to get the controls down well, but on the other, the frame rate sounds troublesome, especially so close to launch. I really hope they can still optimize at least a little before this game goes gold.

Thanks for these impressions everyone.

It's close to launch but it was probably a months old build so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

theDeeDubs

They really need (and hopefully have with newer builds) nail down the framerate on SO. That kind of gameplay really needs it solid.

nib95

Banned
Really disappointing to hear all those negatives for The Order. I'm hoping this build is indeed old and they've made massive improvements.

The funny thing is, it's the exact same build as was demo'd at E3, and that demo received several positive impressions from GAF'ers and press alike.

Those The Order impressions are quite worrysome. But this one specially:

Damn... clunky shoot controls + bad field of view + enemies respawing on a TPS cover based game?? What the hell... I hope they fix the controls and that respawn thing there!

The issue is that these types of impressions have carried over from conference to conference and preview to preview. I don't think they are able to change it.

How long was the wait time for each game you guys wanted to try out?

What about smaller/indie/mobile games? Any of them interesting?

I wish I was over there to try Splatoon for myself. Sounds fantastic.

Top Bottom