• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guys, I think I'm like smartphone games....

As a long time console gamer, I'm always disappointed when my favorite Japanese developers decide to make games for smartphone/tablet and I have been aggressively looking at smartphone gaming as a main cause of shrinking video game market in general. Until recently, real life hit me hard. I'm now too busy to commit myself to play video games as much as I used to. So I decided to spend little time during a night before my sleep to check out Android app store for something to kill my boredom and I was amazed at how vast and variety the game libraries were. Last time I did gaming on the phone it's all Angry Bird, Doodle Jump, fruit Ninja etc. But now there are games like this

Metal Slug Defense
nexusae0_unnamed-3.png

The Rhythm of Fighters
rhythm-of-fighters.jpg

These 2 games cost next to nothing and of course they have in-app purchase but the fun I have from playing these games already surpasses their initial asking price. They are really addicting and I feel like my life-style are fitting to play these types of small game than sitting on a couch and play 100 hours of RPG.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm cool with spinoffs of SNK games, but I wish they'd give us another card fighters clash. That would go well on a mobile platform.

shmoglish

Oh, there is a MetalSlug for smartphone? Thank you, going to load this. I really enjoy Joe Denvers Lone Wolf (playable book).

Brave Frontier is the greatest free to play game I've played.

Extremely generous with the payables and I've never felt like I was 'trapped' by not spending money. Just hit level 100 in it.

SerTapTap

Those two are awesome games but are in the incredible minority of legitimately good games on mobile.

I think I might enjoy mobile if it were an incredibly well curated platform. Even looking at the store is so soul crushing I can't even bear to support the ecosystem anymore, I refuse to buy games I know are good because I can't support platforms like this. It's a damn shame how this all went down.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh, there is a MetalSlug for smartphone? Thank you, going to load this. I really enjoy Joe Denvers Lone Wolf (playable book).

it's a tower defense game. There was also Metal Slug Mobile that almost nobody played because it was exclusive to n-gage compatible symbian phones.

I like some smartphone games, like Orbital or Cut The Rope or Game Dev Story. They have their place, but I don't ever see them as a replacement for deeper games as found on consoles or handhelds.

I'm still not really a fan of using capacitive touchscreens for any form of gaming, but the good games always work with simple taps, drags and selections. The moment any form of 'simulated' controllers come into play, it just feels unintuitive (to me).

Mihos

Gold Member
Some people like lima beans. I will bash you in the head if you tell me that it is the future of food, though.

jpax

Thank you op for the metal slug game! It is awesome.
I have been playing
Inflation RPG - really addicting game f2p no Mt
Pixel Dungeon - old school rogue like, f2p no Mt
plague Inc - cool grand strategy game
Rymdkapsel - incredibly difficult strategie game

So we have to make liking games on our phone into like, a confessional now?

As for the other thing, it's like Wii. Did all the doodoo games that kept coming out for it trying to cash in make games like Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong, Epic Yarn, Excitebots, Zelda, Boom Blox, and all the other awesome games we got out of that system mean less?

Absolutely not. The same thing goes for phones. Good games are good games, and if we can play them on phones, fine with me.

Haunted

So you're cheap and shallow, but may give people temporary satisfaction if they are ready to pay for you?
21.JPG

That said, there are enough talented indie devs working in the mobile space that it has produced worthwhile games alongside the Chinese skinner boxes, cynical cashgrabs and corporate garbage.

SmokyDave

I love all the knee-jerk 'no buttons!' answers. Metal Slug Defence would play like shit on a controller.

I love the amount of post-release support MSD has seen. Every time I fire it up there seems to be new levels or units to check out.

SmokyDave

otoh a lot of games would play like shit without a controller, so you can't really have the best of both worlds.
Yeah you can, you can play on PC. Or, jailbreak your device. Or, buy an MFI controller.

I wish Logitech would pull their fingers out and release theirs. It looks like the best of the bunch.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I love all the knee-jerk 'no buttons!' answers. Metal Slug Defence would play like shit on a controller.

I love the amount of post-release support MSD has seen. Every time I fire it up there seems to be new levels or units to check out.

I'm on the knee-jerk 'freemium!' camp myself.

In what way are you like smartphone games? Are you taking over Japan?

i came for this, wasnt disappointed haha

Your only redeeming quality is being brought into the bathroom for a shit?

fucking lol!

Now go clean yourself up.

ohyou.gif

btw op, i recommend Reaper. only game i have installed because it doesnt suck your soul($$$) like other games do and is a good time waster

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
The problem I have is that after searching high and low, even for paid games with a billion of those amazon coins they gave out a while ago, I still only have maybe 6 games I like on my tablet?

Really enjoyed:
-Pixel Dungeon
-Game Dev Story (bordering on shallow for being too easy)
-Sandbox

Thought it was good but the controls fucking suck or make it a chore to play:
-Sonic 2
-Wayward Souls
-Minecraft PE

Mega shallow but a good time waster for 10 minutes:
-Reel Big Fishing (or whatever it's called)
-That dirt buggy free to play game

Other notable games:
-Scribblenaughts Remix (It's good, but it keeps deleting my save every fucking time I play it. 100% failure rate by world 3, way to go guys).

I'd be interested in a tower defense but I'm having trouble finding a good paid one that isn't littered with microtransactions that ruin balance. I also would like more roguelikes because they work well with quick sessions. I'm open to suggestions.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You are like smartphone games? Does that mean you are cheap and there are hundreds of clones of you running around?

Edit: I see other people already made that joke, only better. I hang my head in shame

galvatron

Back on topic, Rhythm of Fighters is essentially Cool Cool Toon reskined with touch controls (some music from that game is even in Rhythm of Fighters). It's great to see that game get any type of follow up as I was a huge fan of the original and imported it for DC.

Are you generally a fan of SNK games or arcade games in general? If you don't mind bullet hell shooters I'd give any of the Cave shmups on iOS a try. A bit pricey for iOS, but cheap for that type of game. Also, give some of the card games a try. The world would be a better place with Card Fighter's Clash on mobile, but there are plenty of other simple CCGs and drafting card games on the platform for relatively cheap.

muu

OP could use a new tag.

On topic there's definitely good phone games, even the IAP ones -- I was hooked on Puzzles & Dragons for a good long time. It is true that it's difficult to excavate the good games from the bad & the skinner boxes, and it's unfortunate that some of the most predatory games are the ones that are advertised the most. What do you expect though when that's what makes the most money? People are out to make a profit, and you aren't going to get one-time-pay grand experiences when people absolutely refuse to pay money for things up front when it's on a phone.

Altazor

you are like smartphone games? What, you constantly require money to perform even the most basic of functions or something like that?

On a slightly more serious note... I'm not a big "mobile" gamer. I have some games in my iPad but I don't spend much time with them. At least they're cheap (and I really prefer those who don't have microtransactions at all).

Top Bottom