• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Resident Evil 5?

Not a terrible game... A terrible Resident Evil game.

-Co-op
-Takes place in broad daylight
-One puzzle in the entire game (lasers)
-No terror or even slight tension to speak of
-Only looked to RE4 on a superficial level while demonstrating a failure to understand what made it great.
This sums it up. It wasn't really Resident Evil. But you left out the biggest problem:

No tetris style inventory management :(

Redrop

As a co-op game, it's superb. I thoroughly loved playing it locally with a friend, and I think it really shows in the marsh section of the game where you and your partner are traveling to find these slates.

Marshlandmap.jpg

Each island was an entirely different encounter, and there were all sorts of hidden, smaller islands that really encouraged exploration. In particular there was a half submerged ship that we completely missed on our first playthrough, but were totally ecstatic when we found on it on our second. Finding all the treasure hidden around this area was really fun.

The only part of the game where it felt like a drag was the El Gigante turret fight, and that's really it. I suppose mileage will vary with everyone when it comes to "atmosphere," but I personally loved the gestalt. The game combines this dramatic, adventurously absurd journey through a fantastical "Africa" with this playful sexiness – the latter being what I think has helped build the series so many of its fans.

But, I can definitely see it's inherent weaknesses when viewed as a single player experience, especially in contrast to the richly individualistic RE4.

It felt disappointing after RE4, but it's still a pretty fun game.

f4SwzQp.gif

Hell yeah dude ! I agree with everyth...

...what the fuck.
He's right. RE6 combat mechanics are awesome, some of the best in any TPS.

If I were Shakira and my hours with RE6 were my hips, they wouldn't lie. I can still play 5/everything else just fine, but the freedom of movement RE6 offers in comparison to other entries is out of this world.

I don't think so!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dragonlife29

I still play Mercenaries mode so I've added you.

jett

D-Member
*shakes head*

RE5 and 6 were absolute blasts to play. I don't know what you all are smoking but I don't want none. :p

Running around the snow as Wesker Jr. looking for usb drives or some bullshit is not a blast to play.

Not a terrible game... A terrible Resident Evil game.

-Co-op
-Takes place in broad daylight
-One puzzle in the entire game (lasers)
-No terror or even slight tension to speak of
-Only looked to RE4 on a superficial level while demonstrating a failure to understand what made it great.

Sounds about right, except it is kind of bad. Tank controls in RE4 work because most of the time the enemies are coming at you from the front. The game is designed around the limitations in control. Most of the time in RE5 enemies are coming at you from all sides, and there are more of them than before. Yet, the tank controls remain. It's a mess. It's a game designed by monkeys.

Riposte

Haha, quite the post and an excellent gif I haven't seen before. Makes me feel like booting it up. I think I'll go check how many hours I have logged.

EDIT: I was playing RE4 recently and I really, really wanted to slide into some barrels. Even more annoyed I couldn't stomp them lol.

EDIT: Counting between 360 and PC (played more on the former so far) it's around ~125 hours. I really thought it'd be more actually, hmm.

EDIT: Where do you check overall time exactly? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time. I could have sworn I had at least a hundred hours on 360 when I looked a year or two ago.

I believe we only tried (and failed) on Mercs 3D but now my brother has the 3DS to play pokemon but I would love to have more excuses to play either RE6 or RE5 on PC :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/onyxtour

I still play Mercenaries mode so I've added you.
Sweet! I'll be on next week or so to accept your friend requests. Sorry for the slight delay, but I'm definitely active on Steam.

Haha, quite the post and an excellent gif I haven't seen before. Makes me feel like booting it up. I think I'll go check how many hours I have logged.

EDIT: I was playing RE4 recently and I really, really wanted to slide into some barrels. Even more annoyed I couldn't stomp them lol.

EDIT: Counting between 360 and PC (played more on the former so far) it's around ~125 hours. I really thought it'd be more actually, hmm.

EDIT: Where do you check overall time exactly? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time. I could have sworn I had at least a hundred hours on 360 when I looked a year or two ago.
Haha, thanks. I made that gif for the 50 FPS gif thread here but I messed up the recording. Posted it anyway because RE6 is a great candidate to make gifs out of.

I totally know what you mean about wanting to slide/stomp into things in older games :p Happens to me, too.

You can check your overall time on residentevil.net. Fun site if you like stats like me, and there are extras on there, too. If you already tired your account, it will be on the main page of your profile for RE6. Extra Content will be the list on the left as... Extra Content :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm playing RE5 for the first time right now with my dad. We're on chapter 6. Once you enter the marshes the fun dipped a bit from "incredibly fun" to "pretty great!" and when they introduce zombies with guns it dives hard into "this is god damned obnoxious."

I hope chapter 6 finishes strong.

Palpable

I mean, aside from playing as a roid-infused white man blasting through indigenous tribesmen living in that swamp.

Right, because the shanty towns and swamps of Africa are full of diverse people...

I don't know why people make this shit an issue when it really isn't. Look at the damn location of the world it takes place.

Vorg

Banned
To answer the question in the op, mainly the atmosphere, which wasn't that scary. Other than that, the game has great grephics, gameplay and a great weapon unlock system that will keep you coming back. It's one of my most played games of last generation. Finished it multiple times on the xbox360 on all difficulty levels.

Yaqoub

RE5 was a little tricky for me because I only ever played it and finished it once and that was co-op with a friend.

While I really enjoyed it that way, I don't know what I would think of it if I played through it alone. Maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.

RE6 was horrible but I wish RE5 had those combat controls.

Zampano

I just got done playing through 4 and 5 back to back. My main gripes with 5 are:

Feels really disjointed - like a series of encounter rooms rather than a campaign. The co-op door opening to leave each area didn't help.

Zombies with guns is just terrible.

The fonts used in the game make it seem really cheap. I know this is an odd complaint but all the UI and menu stuff just seems really rushed. The same with the files that you find - it's just really threadbare

Partner AI is terrible.

Boulder punching lol.

That said I enjoyed it overall and it encourages multiple playthroughs with weapon unlocks etc. The disjointed nature of the campaign actually also helps this - it's easy to just drop in, grind eggs and treasure then hop back to the menu.

While I thought I'd miss the Tetris inventory, I actually found that managing items across two people without pausing, sometimes under pressure from enemies etc was one of the few survival horror aspects still remaining from earlier games - got really stressful.

Lernaean

Banned
Everything was wrong.
The RE team thought they could replicate RE4 without Mikami.
They used the same formula, structure, pacing, they used the same types of enemies appearing in very similar instances and they replicated many encounters, but they never managed to get even close to RE4 or create something unique.
Don't get me wrong, there are brilliant moments in it, and i love all RE games, but RE5 is among the weakest games of the series.

Flysquare

Sounds about right, except it is kind of bad. Tank controls in RE4 work because most of the time the enemies are coming at you from the front. The game is designed around the limitations in control. Most of the time in RE5 enemies are coming at you from all sides, and there are more of them than before. Yet, the tank controls remain. It's a mess. It's a game designed by monkeys.

You have to rely on melee attacks to clear the way. Also, find a spot with some item on the ground before shooting at ennemies. If anything goes wrong, quickly press the button to grab the item, you will dodge the attack thanks to invincibility frames.

I really like RE5's gameplay. It's a nice improvement from RE4 with more focus on melee attacks. It works well when you know how to play and Mercs is a hell lot of fun !

Campaign is solid but RE4 was a tour de force unrivalled.

What was wrong? that it can hardly be considered Resident Evil.

It is a fucking amazing game though, one of my favourites from the last gen, it is just not the same thing anymore.

News Bot

Banned
The story was pretty bad (and they had a LOT to work with).
Level design was goofy balls.
Forced co-op was (is) annoying.
Horror was non-existent save for one or two sections.

Despite all that it's a fun game. Just not what anyone ever wanted from Biohazard.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The story was pretty bad (and they had a LOT to work with).
Level design was goofy balls.
Forced co-op was (is) annoying.
Horror was non-existent save for one or two sections.

Despite all that it's a fun game. Just not what anyone ever wanted from Biohazard.

Well I agree with this except for the fun part but I find it tolerable with a partner, but unfortunately not many people want to play it so I doubt I'll ever complete it since it's pretty bland as a single player experience IMO.
Hoping 6 is better to solo when I get to it.

nOoblet16

It was fun in co-op mode, but I think that just about anything is fun co-op when playing with the right people. My friend and I made fun of it mercilessly the whole time.

My biggest gripes are
  • Excessive use of quicktime events with really short execution windows; I failed these often
  • Very little freedom for how you approach encounters.
    [*]Turns into a cover based shooter for some reason
  • Environments are bland

On the plus side
  • Unintentionally funny
  • Failing QTEs leads to some really hilarious sequences
  • Boulder punching

This holds true for RE4 as well. In fact RE4 has more of these quick time "events" RE5 has more stick wiggling and less quick time than RE4. As for cover, if one or two sections make it a cover shooter then RE4 had them too.

Lastly I disagree about the environments, they were great especially the marshes and the sun temple.

It waw a very good game. Really enjoyed it. The Coop was great.
I finished it several times. It was a little short I think but other than that ok.
If Capcom would have continued there I would have been ok with it but RE6 was just a mess

nOoblet16

It was fun in co-op mode, but I think that just about anything is fun co-op when playing with the right people. My friend and I made fun of it mercilessly the whole time.

My biggest gripes are
  • Excessive use of quicktime events with really short execution windows; I failed these often
  • Very little freedom for how you approach encounters.
    [*]Turns into a cover based shooter for some reason
  • Environments are bland

On the plus side
  • Unintentionally funny
  • Failing QTEs leads to some really hilarious sequences
  • Boulder punching

This holds true for RE4 as well. In fact RE4 has more of these quick time "events" in normal fights while RE5 has more stick wiggling. As for cover, if one or two sections make it a cover shooter then RE4 had them too.

Lastly I disagree about the environments, they were great especially the marshes and the sun temple.

I wish anything in my post was hyperbolic, but nothing is. If they music and sound did something for you, I'm glad, but early PS360 games pretty much all had bad graphics. HDTVs reveal more limitations than standard, and developers are just now learning how to hide it.

You are entitled to you own opinion but RE5 is objectively one of the best looking and technically advanced games from last gen. It looks amazing even when you compare it to a good looking late PS360 game.

giapel

Not much was wrong, it just wasn't RE4. Actually, the one thing that did bug me with this game is that it made it incredibly awkward and difficult to start a new game without having guns from a previous run unlocked. That's was terribly thought out.

Every time there's a discussion about RE6's gameplay mechanics it reignites my fear that Capcom is going to simplify the gameplay in response to people's complaints, rather than just improving the level design and explaining the more obtuse mechanics better. Throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

Duxxy3

Babysitting the AI was annoying. The game really wasn't bad, but it was a lot more action focused than previous entries.

Must.....control...........Urge....to.....avatar-quote.......

Jokes aside, I feel like he's representative of the games storylines taking themselves too seriously. That and he's the symbol of modern dude-bro BSAA army Resident Evil. Ugh.
I talked to someone about this before, but despite his looks, I feel like Leon is way more "dude-bro" than Chris.

Chris is strong, serious and dedicated. Leon is a smarmy douche. I feel attitude is much more indicative of what makes up that archetype.

Hypron

This holds true for RE4 as well. In fact RE4 has more of these quick time "events" in normal fights while RE5 has more stick wiggling. As for cover, if one or two sections make it a cover shooter then RE4 had them too.

Yeah, they're just easier to pull off in RE4 because you always have your fingers on all the buttons required to perform the QTEs since you're not using the right stick.

Babysitting the AI was annoying. The game really wasn't bad, but it was a lot more action focused than previous entries.

It's not much more action oriented than RE4. In both games you spend most of your time being a badass and dispatching hordes of enemies with silly melee moves (and I love them because of that).

I talked to someone about this before, but despite his looks, I feel like Leon is way more "dude-bro" than Chris.

Chris is strong, serious and dedicated. Leon is a smarmy douche. I feel attitude is much more indicative of what makes up that archetype.

Ah I see. I might have used 'dudebro' wrongly then. Let's just say to me Chris = COD = me no likey.

Davey Cakes

I hope chapter 6 finishes strong.
Chapter 6 is the worst chapter in the game as a whole, probably. Pretty much the entirety of it. The only thing worse is that shitty turret section with El Gigante in Chapter 2, but the rest of Chapter 2 is solid.
It's not much more action oriented than RE4. In both games you spend most of your time being a badass and dispatching hordes of enemies with silly melee moves (and I love them because of that).
I think when people say RE5 is more "action-oriented" they basically mean that it doesn't balance out its action elements with its atmospheric and horrific ones nearly as well as RE4. Yes, RE4 is full of action sequences and setpieces but it has effective downtime moments and some encounters that are legitimately tense and unsettling. RE5 just didn't have much of that from what I recall, even though it tried in parts.

Goteki_45

too much action, game didn't feel to have any horror elements in it, lack of puzzles, chris redfields massive arms that can punch a boulder and a poor inventory system.

only good thing about the game is its co-op mode.

I feel like people who don't like RE5's inventory system didn't take advantage of it very well or are just stuck on RE4's and unwilling to accept anything else.

I'll take real-time inventories over immersion-breaking ones any day, as fun as RE4's was. The only valid complaint against 5's is the amount of stuff you could carry at any one time, but the grid design makes sense since they gave us the convenience of shortcuts for the cardinal directions. It wouldn't make sense to have more than 9 blocks with such a design, otherwise it'd be a bit cumbersome.

With 5's inventory system being real-time, you gained the very welcome bonus of never, ever having to see another reload animation again by selecting the necessary ammo and just applying it to the gun and, bam--instant reload. One can get really damn good at it and it becomes like a fun game on its own to see how fast you can do it. Not only that, but you can do it during animations, which is huge: climbing up ladders, meleeing an enemy, dropping down from a vantage point, picking up an item (which also gives you i-frames), recovering from being hit by an enemy, and so on. It doesn't even have to be just ammo you mess with during those animations, either; you can rearrange on the fly or set up to discard something once your animation is over, mix herbs, etc.. You can't do any of that with RE4's inventory except equip a different gun or heal asap, or just rearrange stuff for the hell of it. Be honest, who hasn't spammed start in RE4 to pop a FAS or G+R+Y mix when taking a fatal blow, hoping to beat fate?

Another neat thing that comes from RE5's inventory system due to cardinal-direction shortcuts is the ability to quick-switch weapons, itself an invaluable ability in Mercenaries to save a combo. Say you have a handgun equipped and you see your combo flashing rapidly, indicating it's about to be lost. You don't want to risk wasting time trying to save the combo with x-amount of handgun shots and MAYBE saving it. What will most likely happen is that MAYBE you'll kill it, but only after losing the combo for taking too long, OR triggering a mutation that takes precious seconds to finish, also causing you to drop the combo. What you REALLY you want to do is aim that handgun, then hit your shortcut for, say, a magnum, and immediately shoot with it after hitting your shortcut.This causes you to skip the slower animation for normal weapon switching, and you'll immediately shoot wherever you were aiming the previous weapon before you've even fully drawn the new weapon. Combo saved. The key is aiming beforehand. For perspective, you can skip the rocket launcher scope with this method and always know where the rocket will land because you were already aiming there with the last weapon!

GOOD inventory management in RE5 takes just a bit of skill. Dexterity trumps memorization, but if you've got your item placement in the back of your head, even not-so-dexterous players can do the above, especially the ammo-to-gun moving since the cursor always starts in the middle when bringing up the inventory. Not to mention they can get even more time by doing it during animations.

The most skill RE4's inventory requires is organization prowess, which a lot of people lack anyway. I've seen some of your Steam screenshots, heathens. Rotation is a thing!

In case anyone's about to do Lord Saddler's bidding, I'm not knocking RE4's inventory. Shit's fun. I'm just saying I prefer the experience a real-time system provides; I like being a little more involved. Just like the attache case, 5's inventory is its own game. Pausing in the heat of battle to heal and stuff is not my preference, but it doesn't ruin the experience entirely, either.

Anyway, I'd just like to say that I appreciate all the little quirks RE games have where mechanics are concerned. I like them all--especially discovering them on my own or with the help of the community. It makes me appreciate the thought that went into them--or didn't!--and how they're so small yet significant. RE6 has some great ones, too.

Edit: I can't highlight to save my life on mobile, but thanks for the comment, Silky.

Riposte

Yes, I must agree with what you wrote. I've talked about it before, but I'm so lazy I'd would have just linked it if anything.

RE4 only really requires organizational skills if you are trying to min-max an extra grenade or two. As soon as you get the first upgrade (when the inventory actually starts to matter), you have a surplus of room even after three or four weapons and two or three healing items and it gets bigger from there. To blunt, it's more gimmicky than it is meaningful. Charming to be sure, but it bugs me when people get too charmed by it.

PensOwl

Banned
Dragonlife knows what's up.

Regardless of the campaign and pacing and all that, RE5's mechanics still stand above RE4

jimi_dini

With 5's inventory system being real-time, you gained the very welcome bonus of never, ever having to see another reload animation again

Sure, realtime is nice. But a totally broken realtime inventory system is not nice

Got 2 different grenades? Well that takes up 2 inventory slots
Got 2 grenades of the same type? Well those only take 1 slot
Got 5 grenades of the same type? Well that also only takes 1 slot
Got 2 pieces of armor? Well those use 2 slots as well
Got a full inventory and want to use a herb from the ground? Well you have to drop something and then get the herb from the ground to actually use it and then grab the item you dropped before
Got 10 handgun ammo? Takes 1 slot
Got 50 handgun ammo? Takes 1 slot
Got 150 machinegun ammo? Takes 1 slot
Got 10 machinegun ammo? Takes 1 slot
Got 30 sniper ammo? Takes 1 slot
Got 5 sniper ammo? Takes 1 slot
Got 12 magnum ammo? Takes 1 slot
Got 3 magnum ammo? Takes 1 slot as well
Got 13 magnum ammo? Takes 2 slots

It's silly and makes no sense and because there are just 9 (7) slots, it insanely limits the player. Say I got 30 machinegun ammo, shall I drop it to free a slot? Or keep it and use up 1 slot because of that? It gets even worse for sniper ammo, because 5 shots can make a difference. It's badly designed. The only thing that is actually good about it is the realtime aspect.

They should have used the slots for weapons and health items. And used a weight system for ammo.

AmyS

What's wrong with Resident Evil 5 (PS3, Xbox 360) ?

It never lived up to the expectations set by Capcom. 60 frames per second, as well as hot & cold temperatures making a difference in gameplay. Among other things.

Takeuchi talks Resident Evil 5

Main character of Capcom's project still unidentified. Next-gen hardware means real physics, meticulous detail, 60 frames per second, and nonlinear gameplay.

August 2, 2005

As expected, Resident Evil 5 will take advantage of the PS3's and Xbox 360's high-definition graphics. Takeuchi hopes to use real-world physics in the game so objects will react realistically when the player shoots them. Takeuchi said he is considering adopting third-party middleware for its physics engine, such as Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3.

The gameplay of RE5 should be similar to Resident Evil 4, which adopted an over-the-shoulder third-person camera. According to Takeuchi, Resident Evil 4 stirred a lot of excitement at Capcom, since director Shinji Mikami had successfully made major changes while still keeping the essence of the series intact. Takeuchi also said that he plans to run the game at 60fps, which is double the frame rate of previous installments in the series.

Takeuchi commented that he recently played "Half-Life 2," and he was impressed by how the game's storyline progressed without the need for the player to raise any conditional flags in the game. While he didn't say that he'll take an identical approach, he did say that RE5 is a "next-generation game" and should reflect that in its gameplay. In addition, Takeuchi emphasized he doesn't want RE5 to be too linear, where all that the user does is clear a stage, watch a cutscene, and then follow instructions to go to the next stage.

Full article:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/takeuchi-talks-resident-evil-5/1100-6130166/

1 AUG 2005

BY ANOOP GANTAYAT

An update on Resident Evil 5 has just come our way from the latest issue of one of our favorite Japanese magazines, Famitsu Xbox (soon to be Famitsu Xbox 360). The September issue of the magazine features a four page look at Resident Evil 5, and while the screenshots are old, the interview with producer Jun Takeuchi is new.

In the interview, Takeuchi reveals some juicy details on the visual side of the game. You may have noticed the particularly impressive shot of the main character aiming his gun at the screen. The character uses a whole lot of polygons, with modeling going down to the detail of each blade of hair that makes up his stubble.

The game's powerful visual engine will contribute to facial expressions. The game engine, in its current form, gives the developers the ability to set values for muscles throughout character faces, allowing for fine tuned facial expressions. Takeuchi notes that he's unsure if this will make it into the final game or not.

Capcom is working to make the game run at a smooth sixty frames per second, twice the framerate of the GameCube Resident Evil 4. In making this move, Takeuchi's team felt that they would be able to express things that couldn't be expressed with thirty frames per second. He points to the increased framerate as evidence that the game will indeed have a strong action component.

resident-evil-5-20060108084543487.jpg

Expect hot and cold temperatures to play a role in RE5.

Outside of visuals, we can expect real physics from the game. Takeuchi is hoping to make the world reactive to your actions, allowing you to break things by shooting them and topple things by kicking them.

For the complex visuals and physics that will go into the game, Famitsu Xbox asks Takeuchi if it's possible that the game will use middleware, such as the Unreal 3 engine. Takeuchi responds that his team is currently investigating such solutions. Takeuchi feels that, while many Japanese developers have spent time creating their own engines until now, this requires too much money and time.

This was touched upon in our original story on the game, but one area the development team is hoping to focus on with Resident Evil 5 is giving players a sense of the surrounding atmosphere through visuals. Heat and cold are key words for Resident Evil 5, Takeuchi reveals, with the game's visual engine being able to clearly express changes in temperatures. This focus on heat and cold came about as the development team considered things they wanted to do using high definition output. Takeuchi feels that his team has been able to create a sense of atmosphere that was previously impossible through standard definition.

Full article:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/08/01/more-re5-details-from-famitsu

Riposte

Sure, realtime is nice. But a totally broken realtime inventory system is not nice

It's silly and makes no sense and because there are just 9 (7) slots, it insanely limits the player. Say I got 30 machinegun ammo, shall I drop it to free a slot? Or keep it and use up 1 slot because of that? It gets even worse for sniper ammo, because 5 shots can make a difference. It's badly designed. The only thing that is actually good about it is the realtime aspect.

They should have used the slots for weapons and health items. And used a weight system for ammo.

By limiting the player (in some cases mainly by item type/effect, e.g., grenades), you enforce tighter inventory management and force the player to make more meaningful choices about the build of their character (mitigated by spreading specialties between the two players, enhancing the co-op aspect). Outside the possible point that it isn't "realistic", which would be pretty funny given what we are comparing here, I think you are arguing too closely to just wanting to give the player more power over the system (i.e., more ammo, more choices) rather than what leads to deeper design. I don't think anyone would call the system flawless (clogged inventory can be awkward in dangerous situations, although that in itself might be interesting in its effect on players) but the fundamental design stands up pretty way to "but I want to hold more ammo!". To call it totally broken, in any case, is hyperbole. It people are so quick to call things they don't like "broken", despite cases of explicit mastery and casual acceptance for the player base at large.

Also some of your specific examples are not exclusive to RE5, given they would work the same exact way for RE4 (e.g., handgun ammo between 10 and 50 taking 1 spot (2 spots to be exact, the size all ammo and grenades take), taking another spot for 1 more bullet).

Sure, realtime is nice. But a totally broken realtime inventory system is not nice.

I get what you're saying, but an egg or a rocket launcher taking the same amount of space is just as ridiculous as casually opening up an attache case (that we never see) in the thick of battle, or having x99 of something in a tiny bag, or going over .1 and suddenly being overencumbered. It's just how the game operates within its set restrictions. They may be silly, but it is what it is.

All those things you listed boil down to player choice. Every situation is different and it's your call about what you want to do. I mean, if you have a magnum equipped, surely you'd have noticed how rare ammo for it is, so you'd always prioritize it when you came upon it over handgun ammo. Since handgun ammo is common, you could just discard it (or grenades) for, say, an herb you want to mix and then once it's mixed you can kill stuff for handgun ammo for the now-empty slot. You don't even need to discard anything if your partner has empty slots in their inventory; just trade and juggle stuff around. And if you're not hurting, why worry about herbs? And if you think 12 magnum rounds taking two slots is preposterous, then you aren't really using the gun at all, so why devote a slot to it? Again, it's all situational.

Also, having two types of grenades on you is a waste. More than two weapons is also a waste. No one should ever wear armor. But just because that's what I think doesn't make it actually true; it just means I play differently, which is basically what it all boils down to. You call it broken, I call it a game of decisions.

So, if I were playing, my inventory would be two weapons, one ammo pile per weapon, one grenade type (if holding two weapons), an herb or FAS. MAYBE a third weapon. That's 6/9 or 7/9, depending, which gives me some wiggle room with whatever I feel is necessary (which sometimes means grabbing a second grenade type provided by the stage to just chuck). I know what to discard and when and when to say no to things, though the accidental pick-up gets us all at times. Also, you get a prep screen for a reason! Break those stacks down and work with your partner's inventory if you need to.

You have plenty of options masked as decisions. I don't think having to make decisions is "totally broken" at all.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
You are entitled to you own opinion but RE5 is objectively one of the best looking and technically advanced games from last gen. It looks amazing even when you compare it to a good looking late PS360 game.
I don't care about technical specifications. A blank black screen at 1080p is more technically demanding than a blank black screen on a black and white TV. I judge graphics based on how pleasant they are to my eyes. There are Dreamcast games that look better than RE5, and it's not because they have more or better techniques used in their visual design and rendering.

As a co-op game, it's superb. I thoroughly loved playing it locally with a friend, and I think it really shows in the marsh section of the game where you and your partner are traveling to find these slates.

Each island was an entirely different encounter, and there were all sorts of hidden, smaller islands that really encouraged exploration. In particular there was a half submerged ship that we completely missed on our first playthrough, but were totally ecstatic when we found on it on our second. Finding all the treasure hidden around this area was really fun.

The only part of the game where it felt like a drag was the El Gigante turret fight, and that's really it. I suppose mileage will vary with everyone when it comes to "atmosphere," but I personally loved the gestalt. The game combines this dramatic, adventurously absurd journey through a fantastical "Africa" with this playful sexiness – the latter being what I think has helped build the series so many of its fans.

But, I can definitely see it's inherent weaknesses when viewed as a single player experience, especially in contrast to the richly individualistic RE4.

This was the only decent part in the entire game. All the other locations were bland like the ruins, factory, tanker etc with awful encounters.

Top Bottom