• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELP! What PS4 Headset Should I Buy?

The End

Get the Sony Gold Wireless headset. I just replaced an older Sennheiser set I paid ~180 for a few years ago, and the Sony set is so much better it's ridiculous.

dralla

Philips Fidelio X1 Koss ProDJ200 would be a good alternative
VModa BoomPro mic

Edit: Ahh for some reason I was under the impression they were $150 :p

The problem with this kind of set up is that you have to run the game audio through the controller and it sounds bad. It defeats the whole purpose of using high quality headphones when the source is such low quality.

Finally. Someone else gives the new dog some props.

I love my HyperX Clouds. Got them off Amazon for $79 plus shipping.

There are reviews all over the net and almost every single one is a positive. The only reason I'd pick Sony's over these would be
1) Wireless
2) Game profiles

The clouds are comfortable have good/very good sound for the price, and the Mic is better than the Gold.

If you can deal with plugging a wire into your DS4 and the cable being long, Kingston's first headset is a win imo.

elhav

If you don't care about the wireless feature of the Gold headphones, you can buy Audio Technica ATHM50.

Superb headphones for the price

PlayStation Gold. No question unless you're a serious audiophile. Great value.

Do these actually make people sound clearer online or do people just praise them for their performance when sending the in-game audio through them?

I've tried several headphones and everybody on PSN still sounds like they're muffled or underwater and I'm not sure if it's the headphones I'm using or Sony has a shitty chat codec.

How is the surround affect with the Golds in games like BF4? I have a decent pair of stereo headphones, but the 2 channel audio is really weird after playing on my 5.1 home system. Always getting screwed up with things in front and behind me, very confusing.

The PX22:

px22_1.jpg

* I hate changing batteries. USB Powered.
* Works with the PS4.
* confortable (IMHO)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BDS415I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Carl

I was looking at them for a while. with Destiny coming and the included earbud being uncomfortable, i wanted something new. Read lots of reviews and a lot of people speak highly of the Playstation Headset 2.0 or Gold headset. So i grabbed it. Should be here tomorrow. Excite.

ZeroEdge

I heard it also works on PC and PS3.

Does all game audio go through them on PC and PS3 or does only the mic work?

All game audio goes through, the only downside on PC is you loose the virtual surround and they go back to being normal wireless stereo headsets but you can find them as cheap as $60-$70 most times and for that price they are great.

I use them all the time between my PS3, PS4 and PC and they have worked great so far.

+1 for the Sony Gold Wireless. Comfortable for the most part, and convenient. If you wear glasses, it may start to hurt after a while. Make sure there is no bluetooth interference as well, and that you're not ridiculously far from the console where the USB adapter is connected. Otherwise, you'll be plagued with staticky crackles and pops.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Well, I live in Brazil and a Sony Gold here is around 180 dollars.
Know I don't know what to do.

Jafku

Sony Golds baby. Good sound quality, good mic quality and they are SO comfortable. I paid $90 and I don't regret it a bit.

Superflat

I was thinking about buying a pair of Pulse Elites off my friend or a new pair of Golds for my PS4, but I do have a pair of Turtle Beach x11s just lying there.

If I buy a cheap sound card adaptor, would I be getting pretty much the same audio quality with that set up?

The problem with this kind of set up is that you have to run the game audio through the controller and it sounds bad. It defeats the whole purpose of using high quality headphones when the source is such low quality.

Hmm
This is possibly the first time I've read anything negative regarding the controller's audio. Have there been any audio samples uploaded?

RedAssedApe

Banned
skullcandy plyr1

i am intrigued by the turtle beach DTS X headphones releasing in the fall tho

for those advocating non-gaming marketed headphones...are there are good wireless ones? most of the ones i read about are all wired...and that would annoy me to have to run a long ass cable somewhere

Remark

Banned
Be the better man and get some Astro A40's/A50's.

Got them in 2012 and they still work perfectly and they worked on my PS4 when I tried.

I have the Pulses and love them. Preordered the white Gold headset coming out in a few weeks to use with my Vita and when on the go. (I'll likely use it with my PS4 when my Pulse Elite dies)

Thoraxes

All game audio goes through, the only downside on PC is you loose the virtual surround and they go back to being normal wireless stereo headsets but you can find them as cheap as $60-$70 most times and for that price they are great.

I use them all the time between my PS3, PS4 and PC and they have worked great so far.

I can't speak to the PC, but on PS3 you can get all audio though them. Great for late night gaming sessions when you don't want to wake anyone else up.
Awesome, thanks guys! I work second shift so by the time I come home from work everyone is sleeping, so I find it hard to get in gaming with being able to hear the sound of it!

I'll probably snag one of these then.

first time i hear something like this. why?

First off it's still not completely wireless (for chat)..
Even if it was wireless, the voice quality with bluetooth is complete garbage (tried it on my phone and on my pc).
When I'm charging the headset and using it with the dualshock everyone in the party starts hearing interference.
Other than that sound quality is good.
I do miss my Tritton AX720..

vin-buc

I have the Pulse Elite and Pulse Gold headsets.

Although the Elite's have "bass impact" - it's gimmicky and tinny. The Elite's are extremely uncomfortable around the top of the head - i used to get pain after long COD/BF sessions. Also - the buttons on the Elite's are not well built and it uses sliders.

The Gold's are extremely comfortable have indistinguishable sound from the Elite's at least in COD/BF (IMO) and have rokker buttons instead of sliders. Also - the usb stick is alot shorter than the Elite's. This is important because if you lose the usb stick - you can't use these headsets wirelessly or in 7.1 mode - only wired. You can't get a usb replacement either since they're individually paired at manufacturing.

Although i'm not an audiofile - i play shooters and need to have good surround sound to know when i need to turn on someone. They are both good in that department but i would heavily lean to the Gold's for pure comfort (you will sweat around the ears though).

I cannot comment on movies - i really don't watch them.

KingV

Finally. Someone else gives the new dog some props.

I love my HyperX Clouds. Got them off Amazon for $79 plus shipping.

There are reviews all over the net and almost every single one is a positive. The only reason I'd pick Sony's over these would be
1) Wireless
2) Game profiles

The clouds are comfortable have good/very good sound for the price, and the Mic is better than the Gold.

If you can deal with plugging a wire into your DS4 and the cable being long, Kingston's first headset is a win imo.

+1 for these. I deliberated between these and the Sony Golds and decided to go with the Clouds due to the better mic. Sound quality seems fine through controller, I haven't noticed any popping or anything.

Also, very solid build quality. Make my old turtle beach headset feel like a plasticky toy

Bundy

Banned
I'm flush $200 more dollars than I had expected after selling a bunch of games I no longer play. I know the PS4 Destiny Bundle comes with a headset but I have the money now to buy a sexier one.

MicrophoneGAF...help!

I'd like to keep it under $250. There's plenty to pick from at the local EB and Future Shop but your input would be welcome.

Notes to note...

I have a big head.
I'm fine with the kind that covers my ears.
Just looking for excellent quality sound both output and input.
Looking for sturdy / long-lasting

Only $79.99, baby!
Do it! They're awesome!

OneUh8

A tip for the Golds, turn off VSS. They sound significantly better with VSS turned off. Make sure you use a custom sound profile (whatever fits the bill) and run them in mode 2. Learn how to tweak the volume and sound/chat levels to your liking. I always mess with this if I am playing single player, or need to chat.

koopas

I have the first sony ps3 headset (the pulse) with virtual 7.1

Is the golds that much of an upgrade? (IE convince me I don't need to buy the golds)

I got the Gold's last week - very happy with the purchase.

As someone with a big head though I will say that after 2hrs or so they start to hurt and I need to play without them for a while. Sound quality is good though and build quality seems good too so far.

owlbeak

My friend has the Sony Gold headsets and fuck me, it's awful being in party chat on PS4 with him. He's way too loud (he says he has it on the lowest level for the mic input), so I have to turn down the headset volume and can barely hear anyone else, you can hear every goddamn sound that happens in his room including every button press he makes, and the mic quality is not even that good. He comes across very distorted. Meanwhile, everyone else sounds very good on their much cheaper headsets.

I wouldn't buy them based on the mic quality alone, but I also have a receiver with surround sound, so I don't need them. I just use the Vita earbuds, no complaints.

I bought the Golds about a week or so ago to play TLoU and I love them. Not too expensive, work perfectly with the PS4 and they sound (to my non-audiophile ears) really good. Would recommend to all!

Virdix

Ive been thinking of getting a steelseries and an adapter, does anyone have experience with this? That way I could use it for my PC, Laptop, and Ps4.

RedAssedApe

Banned
My friend has the Sony Gold headsets and fuck me, it's awful being in party chat on PS4 with him. He's way too loud (he says he has it on the lowest level for the mic input), so I have to turn down the headset volume and can barely hear anyone else, you can hear every goddamn sound that happens in his room including every button press he makes, and the mic quality is not even that good. He comes across very distorted. Meanwhile, everyone else sounds very good on their much cheaper headsets.

I wouldn't buy them based on the mic quality alone, but I also have a receiver with surround sound, so I don't need them. I just use the Vita earbuds, no complaints.

have you suggested having him turn down the mic boost in the ps4 audio settings?

i think the muffled voice is probably due to the design of the headset. you can't really control it as well as if you had an adjustable flip-down mic.

Carnby

PlayStation Gold. No question unless you're a serious audiophile. Great value.

This. Unless your an serious audiophile. I like good audio as much as the next music fan and I have no complaints on the audio quality.

Also they are cheap, comfortable, and durable. Certain games even provide prests. You can't go wrong with Golds, and only for 100 to 79 dollars.

Edit: I can't vouche for the mic quality. I never chat.

Virdix

Works perfectly fine on the PC, wired and wireless. As a matter of fact, my GF was using mine yesterday on WoW.

Was just reading a forum on Playstation s website saying you should get an audio splitter to use the mic, does she use the mic at all?

Malice215

I just bought the Golds when Newegg had them on sale the other week. Love them. Sound amazing. Plus they're comfortable and wireless.

Thoraxes

Works perfectly fine on the PC, wired and wireless. As a matter of fact, my GF was using mine yesterday on WoW.
I might go get one this weekend!

I've been trying to hold out for sales, but it's getting good hard to pass up, especially now that I bought Tales of Xillia 2 and can old play in the wee hours of the morning. And PC game lbs would be great because then I could use my TV again!

Hopefully they do a proper revision of the Pulse Elites one day. I only started using it more often after fixing it up with hot glue and modifying the headbands to make it more comfortable.

Yeah, I had to fix the headbands too. I'd probably be day 1 on an Elite revision
How'd you two fix them? I have the Elites and they hurt the top of my so much after only 30 minutes of use I've gone back to using my Vita earbuds, which are fantastic though.

I'm in Australia. I went to the third party list on amazon and picked the cheapest that shipped internationally. Ended up being 90USD. I got them last week. They're nice ;)

Awesome. Do you have a link to the place you bought it from ? I'd love to get 'em for 90 USD if that's possible.

I bought the Golds a week ago. I haven't had a chance to use 'em a ton yet, but well worth the $ 100 I paid.

And you can totally get em for cheaper- I just strolled into Best Buy and impulse bought a pair

Top Bottom