• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it feel weird knowing that the person destroying you online is probably a child?

Loofy

I thought about this when I joined a new clan in Clash of the Clans. This leader telling me what to do is probably some kid in junior high. Then I thought, man what if Ive been losing to kids this whole time?

SnakeEyes

Banned
I thought about this when I joined a new clan in Clash of the Clans. This leader telling me what to do is probably some kid in junior high. Then I thought, man what if Ive been losing to kids this whole time?
Welcome to modern gaming. Be thankful it wasn't an 8-year old telling you he'd had relations with your mother.

Ultima_5

No. I have a job that pays me a lot and there are people willing to sleep with me.

I've won the game.

The game of life

FZZ

Banned
Most kids kick adult's asses at videogames. So in reality you're probably beating someone your age rather than younger.

When I was a kid, my dad would drop me off at the arcades and I would school older kids in SF/MK/KI. I think as a kid, gaming is really easy for you to learn and adapt and you just really good at it but now? I can't do that. Sad times, I expect to be schooled by them :p

ReaperXL7

Nope because they don't. I destroy them and it teaches them valuable life lessons that include them being a loser.

My daughter gets so mad when I whoop her in Towerfall.

boltz

No. I have a job that pays me a lot and there are people willing to sleep with me.

I've won the game.

The game of life

Shit, these kids could be some millionaire pro gamers and have people willing to sleep with them :p

I think I'd be more impressed at that's kid's gaming skill.

I use to act like a 10 year old in CoD4 just to piss off people since I had the voice for it. It was so great hearing the moans and yelling.

Holla holla, get dollas, mang.

redcrayon

I don't know, plenty of adults have way more time to game than me. Statistically there's a greater chance that a gamer younger than me is also an adult rather than a child, and a 100% chance that anyone older than me is an adult, so I'd say I'm less likely to be getting beaten by a child than an adult.

Not that it matters, I just accept that, like any hobby, if I only play online for a couple of hours a month I'm probably going to be the worst player in the room. I like seeing enthusiastic, skilled play from others, and am happy to lose all the time if I'm having fun and slowly getting better. It's people being rude and bizarrely aggressive over computer games that I find tedious, which isn't limited to children and is probably the reason I don't try to play more online.

More often than not, younger kids are really good because they play a shit ton and they may have a slightly faster reaction time, but their strategy is often not that great. The only people that can "destroy" me when I play my games of choice online these days are probably college kids with unlimited free time.

That's why you should always play to win against your kids. You never know when they will get good.

I have nieces and nephews that I don't hold back on when playing games, mainly because I want to show them what is actually possible.

A few weeks later they start closing the gap quickly.

In a nuthshell, I always try to teach them kids what is possible and find ways to push beyond that.

Soulflarz

Banned
Nah, I'm used to hanging with them on NeoGAF.

:p
Hi :p

But yeah, not an issue. And if theyre 12 and say stupid things about family members, its still pathetic.
(On that note: how did kids spamming that start?? My friends and I never used language like that online...)

Nope because kids are freaks of nature. They learn so damn fast and have the most ridiculous amounts of time to hone their skills.

I'm 30 and only started using dual analog for aiming with halo 2 on 360. I was 22. There are kids who's first game was halo and have ridiculous accuracy with dual analogs.

It better be a damn kid who woops me. They have that play-dough brain and time advantage

Afrocious

Here's a story of the opposite case: destroying a child in a videogame.

I remember a long time ago, a friend of mine and I were throwing matches in Halo 2's Team Slayer to lower our level. We got pissed at matchmaking for some reason.

We get all the way to 12-16ish. We're fighting a team of kids roughly about...well...12-14 perhaps.

We ended up playing on Lockout. My friend and I managed to get our score down to -100 from suicides. Our other teammates rightfully quit. Oddly enough, there was still plenty of time left in the match.

For the hell of it, we attempt to see how many kills can we get before the timer runs out. It was was a fun idea and we both did our thing like we usually did.

It didn't take long to bring -100 to -50. That eventually turned to 0. From 0, we got into the positives.

I was having fun at first, but then I overheard the more vocal of the opposing team - some kid who had been pepping his team up saying things like "We can do it guys!" or "Let's stop them from getting X points!"

I think it was when we hit 20 or 30 points and nearing their score, I heard that kid say "I can't believe this. Oh my God. How did they come back from negative 100?"

Or perhaps I'm wrong. I don't know. However, I do remember his tone and how devoid of his former excitement it was. This kid wasn't angry. Instead he spoke slow and quiet. His enthusiastic cheers became a dreary whimper. His efforts to keep his team going weren't about winning, but about getting his team to harm me and my friend with at least a fraction of what we did to them. We had killed his hope and you could hear it through the mic.

The fun I had dissipated. I convinced my friend that we should lose so we could continue rank down. Perhaps this was me being stupid with some misplaced sense of nobility on Xbox Live, but I let the kids kill me and told them what we're doing. Then I explained they shouldn't feel bad because we invested way more time into Team Slayer than what was healthy. The truth was I felt disgusted at myself for ruining kids' fun by ravishing them.

I feel odd beating a kid at a game because of this.

The score ended up being in the 40s for us. The other team won btw.

Nizz

Not that it matters, I just accept that, like any hobby, if I only play online for a couple of hours a month I'm probably going to be the worst player in the room. I like seeing enthusiastic, skilled play from others, and am happy to lose all the time if I'm having fun and slowly getting better. It's people being rude and bizarrely aggressive over computer games that I find tedious, which isn't limited to children and is probably the reason I don't try to play more online.
I can see this. I reallg like the Battlefield franchise. I've never been a god at the games by any means but I've often held my own. Most of the time when one player on the opposing team is just wrecking I yell out "it's gotta be some kid who plays like 12 hours a day" and get pissed.

I don't have the time to put into the game nowadays. I'm no spring chicken either though, and it saddens me that while I like playing MP FPS games I may not have what it takes anymore to hang. Especially with the upcoming Advanced Warfare. I'm interested in the game but then I start thinking about all those people who will play the game for hours on end. How it feels like getting my teeth kicked in when I join a lobby against a bunch of people with more time then me to put into the game.

Just the other day I'm playing BF4, playing as the support class in a game of Rush. I joined the match already in progress at the next to last set of M-Coms. I was giving out ammo, defused an M-Com bomb and tried my best. Putting myself out there K/D be damned. Finished the match like 12/18 K/D.

Some idiot feels the need to send me a message on PSN how "horrible I am at this game". I thought about answering back but I had just gotten off work and decided to hop on for a bit. I get off work at midnight dammit and wanted to just unwind for a bit and it was literally my first match of the night. Whatever man...

Afrocious

Man, my KDR is 2.18... If anyone is destroying, it's ME.

I remember during the Destiny Beta, I got pissed my team had to go on that damn Moon map. I got so angry I got like 25+ kills with a 10 KDR. I spent the whole match screaming blasting people with a machine gun.

mrpookles

Pretty much the main reason I mainly stick to multiplayer on PC now. My days of being lightning quick in Call of Duty or Killzone on consoles are long gone.

Probably started getting destroyed by kids and teenagers about 3 years ago.

HariKari

Play on PC where most players are 18+

There are still a lot of kids out there, even on PC. It's not really hard to spot the lack of life experience. Maybe it's just a lot of twenty somethings that haven't grown up as well.

I've been TK'd and harassed by grown ass adults with the maturity of a small child as well, so I don't think the age of the people playing is a guarantee of anything. Just give me a mute button.

Children have better reaction times, learn faster and have all the time in the world to practise (outside of school)

If I was 14 id feel offended if an adult could beat me.

No, I have no problem with it.

KevinRo

When I was young and I was playing online I didn't even think twice about the age of the other players. I just wanted to win. Honestly, age didn't come into focus for me until some old ass dude on the mic started cursing at me. I got into an argument with him and he told me he was a sheriff and that I should shut my little ass mouth up.

Fatbody

I don't know, I sucked back then and I still suck now. I probably accepted that around age 19 and have since moved on. On the bright side, at least I haven't gotten worse.

I think my SSFIV online record....is unprintable.

I read somewhere that you should expect to go 10-190 for your first 200 matches.

I was doing slightly better than that before I moved on to other pursuits.

But, yeah, I always felt that I did better against decent adults, even sometimes those much better than me, than the opponents who exuded "youth" vibes.

The kids,. I felt, would just exploit a weakness and spam. Because, hey, that's fun when you're young.

Whereas if I showed some positional intelligence and ability to block, I'd have a chance to surprise an "older" player and win a round before getting my ass handed to me.

Same for PES 2007 back in the day. Only a kid would think choosing Inter over and over again and spamming Adriano was fun.

But...it's not.

They have more time to play, and get better, than most adults. So why should you feel bad? It's not like it's a physical contest, and the mental skill required usually isn't high.

DBT85

I rarely play online games for the sole reason that I don't have 5 hours a night to play like I did when I was 14 or whatever.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I usually the one winning, though. EAT SHIT EIGHT YEAR OLDS

I thought about it, but then realized I was adult. That meant I had to keep a better perspective and not cry for nerfs or bitch about whippersnappers. Walk the adult walk instead of just talking the talk.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I do everything in my power to make enemy players seem like bots, mostly it just means me ensuring they're muted prior or during. Sometimes this also extends to team mates.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Happened to me a lot in CoD MW2 and Halo 3 a few years back.
Once, In post game lobby this person that kept owning us was talking to someone else and turned out to be a kid. They started arguing and the kid ended calling him names while the other user just told him to go back to kindergarden.

Zee-Row

Banned
I used to destroy adults when i was a child and now as an adult, children destroy me.

It's a cycle , kids have more time to play than adults. I got destroyed at Mario Kart 8 by a 6 year old on 150cc Grand Prix. Kids just have better hand eye coordination.

Meesh

I tend to think of it much in the same way as I do when I get a physical. It's not really me, it's not happening, let's go to our happy place.

One of the main reasons why I've become an anti-social gamer really. Any game with audio communications, I quickly turn it off. I turn off text chat or completely ignore it to the best of my ability. I steer clear of multiplayer games where playing Lone Wolf is impossible.

I just can't stand profanity and nerdrage from kids.

Top Bottom