• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best NES Megaman game ?

2 for sure. 3 is good too, but significantly tougher than 2 which turns some people off. That boss rush near the end is grueling. still good.

Slermy

Funny, I always found 3 to be way easier than 2.

Anyway...

2 is my personal (and Inafune's) favorite.
3 is a really good choice as well.
5 is an underrated title.

4 and 6 would be about equal (still good titles though).

You could pick any of the above and be happy.

1 is easily the weakest of the bunch.

Maybe I've just played 2 so much that I'm blind to the difficulty. The bosses are easy for sure though. You can beat all of them with the buster with relative ease.

Davey Cakes

Maybe I've just played 2 so much that I'm blind to the difficulty. The bosses are easy for sure though. You can beat all of them with the buster with relative ease.
More so if you play on normal.

If you play on "difficult" then MM2 becomes legit difficult. And THAT boss rush towards the end is probably the toughest the series has to offer.

As a game, 3 is the best for sure.

But Megaman 2 has the best music, and music is such a huge part of what makes the megaman games fun to play, it has an edge in that regard. But for me Megaman 2 was too easy. Too many bosses could be beaten with just the standard blaster which kind of defeats the whole point of the series. Megaman 3 is better balanced in terms of difficulty and level design, etc. Megaman 2 is still awesome though, but 3 is on another level

Red Mage

You can't go wrong with either 2 or 3. They're both fantastic.

Yep. Might want to go with 2, as 3 has an annoying part in the middle. Once you beat the eight robot masters, you
have to go through four of the stages again, this time filled with spikes of instant death
. Then again, VC saves might make it less annoying.

Castcoder

Banned
Wish I could get all of the NES MegaMan games for $2.50, NoA... But seriously. 3 is the longest (IMO) in terms of length, so you won't plow through it too quickly like others. 6 is really nice, but I think it was also a bit easier than the others due to the armor. It did have split paths though, which was neat.

I'd say you're fine with 2 and 3. A few years ago, I played all of the NES games on the Anniversary Collection, and I had a lot of fun with them. 2, 3, and 6 stood out the most for me. 1 was interesting because I never played the original that much until then, thoughI played Powered Up, the first game's remake, tons of times. The first game suffers from having to backtrack or know about obtaining an obscurely placed power up that the remake (though contrary to its name) removed.

Regardless, they're all really nice. I suppose 4 and 5 are less memorable, but they aren't bad either. I'm waiting for a sale to snag all of them for my Wii U, and for 7 to come out too.

turcy

2 hands down for me.

although with all these people answering 3, it makes me feel the need to revisit that one now!

Drake

Megaman 2. Confession. I've never beaten it. I only got to Dr. Wiley once. It was a Sunday morning and we had to go to church, so I didn't have time to beat him. I never made it that far again. It's that stupid boss where you have to use the crash bombs that always gets me. If you waste a single bomb you lose the fight.

me0wish

I'm sure I'm a minority here as I hardly see anyone mentioning 6. I think 6 is very underrated with its awesome music, weapons, bosses and levels.

to me 6 > 2 > 3 > 1 = 4 = 5

lazygecko

Megaman 2. Confession. I've never beaten it. I only got to Dr. Wiley once. It was a Sunday morning and we had to go to church, so I didn't have time to beat him. I never made it that far again. It's that stupid boss where you have to use the crash bombs that always gets me. If you waste a single bomb you lose the fight.

Wasn't the final form of Wily only beatable using Bubble Lead as well? I was a scrub always playing with Game Genie codes those days, so I reached the final level with unlimited lives/health but I'd always run out of Bubble Lead ammo with no way to replenish it, so I was essentially stuck with no way to win.

Sciz

2 is the series' iconic labor of love that every other entry is invariably compared to.

I'm sure I'm a minority here as I hardly see anyone mentioning 6. I think 6 is very underrated with its awesome music, weapons, bosses and levels.

to me 6 > 2 > 3 > 1 = 4 = 5

6 is an acquired taste. You have to be the sort of person who likes messing around with alternate characters and doesn't mind that the boss designers weren't showing up for work.

Not sure why there isn't a well priced pack of all of them. Come on Ninty/Capcom.

Not exactly a pack, but Mega Man 1-6 are 50% off right now on Wii U/3DS VC. That's about £10 for all six. Not sure if the campaign applies to America as well, but I've been very tempted to pick these up. Might just do that tonight.

You've gotta play 2 AND 3 because MM3 SPOILER
that OH SHIT moment when you see the first MM2 robot ghost come down and posess a robot

Top Bottom