• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

I just started a new job yesterday and im already miserable as fuck. Im starting to think i just cant deal with office jobs anymore. Everything feels completely bullshit and meaningless and the entire environment feels oppressive. Thank god i went with a 32 hour a week contract instead of the normal 40. At least i have the wednesdays off.

They pay well so i'll probably just push through for the duration of the 6 month contract i got, but i really need to find some way to a job that isnt an office job. My girlfriend is a teacher and despite it being quite a crappy job with shit pay and long hours it still seems better than another bullshit job at an office.

I just started a new job yesterday and im already miserable as fuck. Im starting to think i just cant deal with office jobs anymore. Everything feels completely bullshit and meaningless and the entire environment feels oppressive. Thank god i went with a 32 hour a week contract instead of the normal 40. At least i have the wednesdays off.

They pay well so i'll probably just push through for the duration of the 6 month contract i got, but i really need to find some way to a job that isnt an office job. My girlfriend is a teacher and despite it being quite a crappy job with shit pay and long hours it still seems better than another bullshit job at an office.
Having been on both sides of this, I love being a teacher just because everything is so fast-paced and interesting. I went into my office job wanting to kill myself every day.

lord

Dealing with kids for a living? KILL ME PLEASE

Anyway I'm trying to find work back in my country (I moved a couple months ago). And it's tough, had a couple of interviews, one on the phone they had me up until 2 AM due to the time difference. Hopefully that comes through. Really want to go back to my shithole country :p

lord

I thought that at first too when I went from the office to the classroom. But kids are far more fascinating than adults, plus they're not bitter jaded assholes.
I just remember my teachers and what they had to put up with. Don't think I have near enough the monk like patience for that. I would end up slapping someone or something.

Yes, any time you don't get a response follow up. Follow up once or twice a week for two or three weeks. Follow up until they officially turn you down or you find something else.

Thanks. I called their switchboard and the lady there basically said for me to wait or to email HR, which I did but they auto emailed back saying they don't check that email often! yay, progress.

lord

The secret to working with a classroom of children is to pit them against one another.
I see you're from Sun Tzu School of Pedagogy.

I called the lady that first interviewed me on Friday. Got her number from her Skype profile so I felt a bit creepy. She said she's going to be sending an official offer letter today. If she does then I am the luckiest fucker to have walked this earth.

The companies CIO contacted me through LinkedIn last friday, I was on a beer garden with some dudes from work. They worked pretty fast, had three interviews that same day, CIO -> HR -> My would be next boss (mid-manager type). The interview with the mid-manager was... weird? It was like he didn't know what to ask, he probably wasn't really prepared, though I wasn't either. If/When they send the proposal and it matches the salary expectations I mentioned then I'm really impressed by how agile their organisation is. Probably among the 5 quickest processes I've been on. It's regularly a good sign. But yeah, cautiously happy.

I had a recruiter call my references before I even interviewed with a company for a contract position. I just found out the position was filled yesterday. Is it just me or is that pretty unprofessional? I thought that references weren't checked until it was the last step.

I also missed a call yesterday regarding an internship I had interviewed for at the beginning of last week... the woman said she'd try calling me again and send me an email. I called her back and left her a message and I still haven't heard anything.

Gah. I hate this process.

lord

I had a recruiter call my references before I even interviewed with a company for a contract position. I just found out the position was filled yesterday. Is it just me or is that pretty unprofessional? I thought that references weren't checked until it was the last step.

I also missed a call yesterday regarding an internship I had interviewed for at the beginning of last week... the woman said she'd try calling me again and send me an email. I called her back and left her a message and I still haven't heard anything.

Gah. I hate this process.
depends I guess, some companies don't even check them at all. But you keep going dude , something will come up, can you try doing other projects meanwhile, learn trendy shit like angularjs and stuff.

On another subject, got an offer, for 17% less than what I asked, FML. Not sure why even make the offer at that point, I was very forthcoming regarding salary. On to the next.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
I applied for a software developer job at one of my top five "I wanna work here" employers a little while ago. I made it past the part where they had me take an online coding test, and now I've got an interview tomorrow. Apparently there's another test involved, too.

I'm not hugely worried about the interview, even though I'm a little rusty in one of the languages they're using (they're talking about moving away from it in the future). What does worry me is that this is pretty much Difficulty Level: I Need a Work Visa, and I hope that that's not going to be the deal-killer.

Wish me luck.

lord

I applied for a software developer job at one of my top five "I wanna work here" employers a little while ago. I made it past the part where they had me take an online coding test, and now I've got an interview tomorrow. Apparently there's another test involved, too.

I'm not hugely worried about the interview, even though I'm a little rusty in one of the languages they're using (they're talking about moving away from it in the future). What does worry me is that this is pretty much Difficulty Level: I Need a Work Visa, and I hope that that's not going to be the deal-killer.

Wish me luck.
You didn't tell them before? Good luck though!

LosDaddie

Banned
As a degreed electrical engineer going for his PE in October, I have recruiters/companies always contacting me with job offers.

Anyway, a competing company that I tried to get a job with in the past had me come in for an interview & test. Rocked both. But their offer was for only a 10% bump 😂😂

Nah, brehs. Nah. Outta my face with that bullshit. No wonder they haven't filled the position in months.

TaterTots

Banned
Soul crushing? You don't know what soul crushing is until you are guranteed a job and no one knows wtf they are doing. Meanwhile you put in a two week notice and are unemployed for 2 months because people are fucking morons.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
You didn't tell them before? Good luck though!

Thanks! And honestly, I've been sending out so many applications, I can't recall if I did. I do know that any time there's been a space for "I am a horrible filthy work-visa-requiring foreigner", I've checked it off. Honestly, though, it's pretty obvious from my work/education history that I'm not exactly from around here.

Ultimadrago

I'll probably be regularly visiting this thread again soon. I really want to quit my current job. It's boring, I'm the scapegoat for everything and I have to pick up after my co-worker's absenses too much for the pay.

mc emcee

Neo Member
As a degreed electrical engineer going for his PE in October, I have recruiters/companies always contacting me with job offers.

Anyway, a competing company that I tried to get a job with in the past had me come in for an interview & test. Rocked both. But their offer was for only a 10% bump 😂😂

Nah, brehs. Nah. Outta my face with that bullshit. No wonder they haven't filled the position in months.

I'm also a degreed electrical engineer and I can't even get a phone call. Any tips or suggestions to help me out of this slump?

I'm also a degreed electrical engineer and I can't even get a phone call. Any tips or suggestions to help me out of this slump?

How is the economy in your area? I know some people can't relocate but its worth looking into. EEs around here have recruiters lined up with jobs. Aside from moving, how does your network look? Do you know other engineers in the area?

mc emcee

Neo Member
How is the economy in your area? I know some people can't relocate but its worth looking into. EEs around here have recruiters lined up with jobs. Aside from moving, how does your network look? Do you know other engineers in the area?

Yea I know plenty of (former) engineer since I use to work at the USPTO. The catch is everyone I know is a patent examiner now, so I really don't know anyone currently in the industry. As far as the area, I'm not really how the economy is over here in DC.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

It's definitely a balance you have to put up with. Pay-survival/happiness. Being happy with your job and not having enough money to live is a losing proposition. I am not exactly happy with my job, but it does pay the bills. It does allow me to be very selective about my next position.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That feel when you go to an interview, get told you're one out of 4 people who they even bothered to interview (out of hundreds, I assume, it was a very nice position) and then feel you did rather well, only for them to not as much as call you back to let you know they went with someone else, despite saying so.

Fucking pisses me off.

It's worse when you go through multiple interviews with a company, then they drop off the face of the earth. I had that happen. I went through all these interviews with different people, then I heard nothing. I contacted the recruiter and hiring manager and heard nothing. I assumed they went with someone else, but why not send a freaking email just to let me know what happened. Though in my experience, those companies aren't that great to work for anyway and a couple of months later the position I was interviewing for is open again.

Levyne

Banned
It's worse when you go through multiple interviews with a company, then they drop off the face of the earth. I had that happen. I went through all these interviews with different people, then I heard nothing. I contacted the recruiter and hiring manager and heard nothing. I assumed they went with someone else, but why not send a freaking email just to let me know what happened. Though in my experience, those companies aren't that great to work for anyway and a couple of months later the position I was interviewing for is open again.

I've had this happen. An on site interview, multiple lunches and dinners. Ended up acting as if I never existed. I'd rather they email me and tell me I did the worst interview session they'd ever seen than hear nothing.

Commo

Banned
Just had a little back-and-forth with a nurse practitioner regarding drinking. The convo went something like this-

*Before the convo, I put 0 for daily and 0 for weekly consumption of alcohol on the med eval form, and then the NP looks it over*

NP: "Is there a problem?"
Me: "What?"
NP: "IS there a problem?"
Me: "Problem? No, I don't drink."
NP: "Well, some people will put zero down even if they drink on occasion."

Seriously? Why is it strange to come across people who don't drink?

Bubba T

I submitted an application for an large CPA firm last week and the recruiter called me later that day. He said they were looking for someone with a different skillset for the position posted, but my resume intrigued him and he wants me to stay in touch. I said cool, thanks for the follow up.

This week he calls me and asks if I'm interested in going to a student program where I spend the day at the firm (graduate this December). I'm interested, but I noticed months ago that it was primarily for sophomores and juniors. He said he would have an HR person call me and try to get me in.

This was yesterday. I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm expecting not to get a call. It's cool the recruiter is trying to get me to this firm, butt something feels a little off. Fortunately, recruiting season hasn't started yet and I have an office visit at another firm next month. There are also two fairs I'll be attending over August-September. Im not going to lay all my eggs on this recruiter.

LosDaddie

Banned

The EE field is vast. What's your focus?

I'm on the construction/manufacturing side...mainly design construction for healthcare right now. So going for my PE license is practically necessary for moving up.

However, some EE fields the license isn't even required. So it all depends on what side of the industry you're on. And location.

Tons of jobs here in FL. Best state 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
So two weeks ago, I put in an application to a bakery half-hour drive from where I live. Last week, I finally got a call from the place (yay), the owner said she was bringing me in as a trial. (I guess as to see if I like the job or not). Anyway, the work itself was fun and easy and I figured that I finally found a job after graduating from college. So, today instead of giving be the papers for y'know for (Background checks, payment info) she decides not hire me because she didn't need anymore extra help there. *sigh* At least I got paid for it.

My options are limited it seems. I tried going to a temp agency but they didn't have anything either. So I either wait it out or keep applying to random ass jobs. I wanted to go back to school because I'm not that interested in pursing a career in web tech, also I can work as a work-study so I at least have some income.

Anybody here who lives in the Raleigh-Durham area knows any good places to work?

Akiraptor

Have a phone interview scheduled tomorrow morning for a job I don't think I'm qualified for. It supposedly involves a lot of Photoshop work and while I know how to do the basics in the program, I think they're expecting someone who really knows what they're doing. I'm also nervous about not having any free time. Have never had a real job before and I'm a year out of college.

I have pretty bad social anxiety, so I'm really nervous. Was honestly kind of hoping I wouldn't get called for this interview, because I don't think I'd be up for doing the actual job. :(

Frustrated at my current job, I started looking for jobs again. I found a listing that has piqued my interest, but it has an odd request of sending something that is a creative representation of myself along with the resume. Anyone have any experience in something like this? I have some ideas in mind, just like to hear some success stories to see if I'm going overboard with my ideas. The weird thing is, this job has nothing to do with any of the arts (music/art design/videography)... It's a job at a food manufacturer. lol

SOLDIER

The courthouse job is going very well. I feel like I've acclimated nicely, and I do appreciate the long hours of downtime to let me do whatever.

But I'm already hungry to move up, make more money, etc. Thing is, there isn't really a clear path that I can take so far: my supervisor talks about "lateral promotion", meaning I should keep an open mind and see what I could move up towards within the courthouse system.

I don't know how to get that information though. Is there a good online resource that lists the different kinds of job titles in a given department/building? Even better, I would love a resource that offered maybe a suggested list of jobs you could do with your current skills, i.e. "You're a Digital Court Reporter, you could move on to become this or that".

I want to take the time I have now to educate myself and move up the corporate ladder, I just need to find out how to get that information.

So, GAF. I've worked in sales and marketing for about 5 years now and frankly, I'm fucking sick of it. I have two degrees, one in media production and one in organizational communications. Additionally, I have really strong references--one being the VP of the company I currently work for. I've sent my resume out to at least 40 different companies and everything has been a dead end.

This fall, I've been given the opportunity to attend a technical school to complete a chemistry program they have, for a job at Dow Chemical. The program would take me about six months, and I would leave with an assured six-figure union job at Dow. The biggest issue is that I would have to quit where I'm working and find some sort of part time job. I do have a bit in savings and I could divest my 401k, which would give me about 14k to live on.

Should I do this? Has anyone worked in a lab at a chemical plant?

Turned in a resume last week at a news place and got a call back a day later, but the man called me when I was at work and then I called back the next morning and the person there said the man doesn't come in til the afternoons. Waited a couple days and called back again at like 2, finally got in contact with the guy, but he said he was busy. Told him I'm available until 3pm.

Haven't heard anything since then and I'm afraid I'm not going to hear back from the man since it looks like he doesn't come in until I go in for work. I really need this.

Got an email today from an employer asking for a document with three professional references? Would just sending my resume with the references on it be good or are they looking for something else?

Wagram

I actually got a job working for Charter Communications. Putting that accounting degree to great use in a completely different field!

Got an email today from an employer asking for a document with three professional references? Would just sending my resume with the references on it be good or are they looking for something else?

Search for a references sheet template and send something like that back as an attachment. And if possible include with it any letters of recommendations you might have.

Edit: something like this should suffice

CN_Sample_References_List_Template_v4.png

mernst23

Ironic I saw this thread today of all days. Today I have an initial phone interview for a position that would be a promotion in terms of my career track. The only reason I applied to it is because my current company refused to give me a raise to pUT me in line with 6 other people they hired within a year of me all performing the job more poorly, citing that they were all external candidates so they had to offer more to get them to accept the job. Considering my companies merit based raise review process is a joke and I can't even cite my standing in comparison to these other six guys as a reason as to why I should be paid in lone with them, I can't wait to get a new job offer and plunk it down on my managers desk giving them one final chance to make it right before I just get up and quit on them.

LosDaddie

Banned
So, GAF. I've worked in sales and marketing for about 5 years now and frankly, I'm fucking sick of it. I have two degrees, one in media production and one in organizational communications. Additionally, I have really strong references--one being the VP of the company I currently work for. I've sent my resume out to at least 40 different companies and everything has been a dead end.

This fall, I've been given the opportunity to attend a technical school to complete a chemistry program they have, for a job at Dow Chemical. The program would take me about six months, and I would leave with an assured six-figure union job at Dow. The biggest issue is that I would have to quit where I'm working and find some sort of part time job. I do have a bit in savings and I could divest my 401k, which would give me about 14k to live on.

Should I do this? Has anyone worked in a lab at a chemical plant?

Seems like the opportunity is too good to be true. An ASSURED $100k job after just 6mos at a technical school? No real experience required, just 6mos of schooling and you walk into a $100k job?

I mean, I'm sure that's a lot better than retail. So I'd do it if it's a real opportunity, and not some bullshit sales pitch by a for-profit trade school.

I was offered an internship (all the way across the country) last Wednesday and my potential supervisor said that HR would be in touch within a week to solidify the details. Haven't heard anything yet. I was going to call tomorrow to follow up. It's frustrating because I have to relocate so I'd like as much time as possible - and I keep seeing all the good temporary housing being snatched up - to figure out my shit. I know some other gaffers have been through stuff like this, so it happens, but still. I'm sure the holiday weekend isn't helping matters! Excited to finally have an offer, but it's not ideal since I have to pack up everything and move for just 4 months. :\

So what job sites is everyone using that works as intended so far? (getting interviews or even job offers) I'm just curious, because I'm about to start looking for new position that pays more.

So what job sites is everyone using that works as intended so far? (getting interviews or even job offers) I'm just curious, because I'm about to start looking for new position that pays more.

LinkedIn has had the most luck for me. Found a really awesome job that I'm currently in the interview stages for right now.

Indeed and Glassdoor are both good, too.

jm89

You know what i hate about applying for software developer positions? Is the random ass questions you get asked about something like a data structure that you probably never had to use.

I was recently asked a question about performance and linked lists and a got completely stumped cause i legit never had a reason to use a linked list. The interview just lost interest after i flopped that question.

Moral of the story always keep the fundamentals of your programming language in your head, even if you never use that data structure/algorithm or whatever just read up on it every once in while.

Kisaya

Question I was asked that I'm curious to hear other answers:

You're asked to choose a role for an upcoming event. Do you:
1) be the person who comes up with the theme for the event.
2) be the greeter at the day of the event.
3) set up the chronological timeline for the event.
4) make the budget for the event.

Question I was asked that I'm curious to hear other answers:

You're asked to choose a role for an upcoming event. Do you:
1) be the person who comes up with the theme for the event.
2) be the greeter at the day of the event.
3) set up the chronological timeline for the event.
4) make the budget for the event.

Three or Four.

These options show that you are actually invested in how the event unfolds while showcasing demonstrated skillsets (time management/accounting). It's about value.

Being the ideas guy or showing up at the event and shaking hands doesn't showcase value or commitment.

Frustrated at my current job, I started looking for jobs again. I found a listing that has piqued my interest, but it has an odd request of sending something that is a creative representation of myself along with the resume. Anyone have any experience in something like this? I have some ideas in mind, just like to hear some success stories to see if I'm going overboard with my ideas. The weird thing is, this job has nothing to do with any of the arts (music/art design/videography)... It's a job at a food manufacturer. lol
If you didn't send a macaroni portrait of yourself, you don't deserve that job!

LinkedIn has had the most luck for me. Found a really awesome job that I'm currently in the interview stages for right now.

Indeed and Glassdoor are both good, too.

Need to try Glassdoor, I only used it for reviews before. Do they tend to repeat jobs form others like careerbuilder and others do?

Top Bottom