• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Samus screams internally for everyone to shut up.

Afrocious

After yesterday's discussion on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, I felt it was time I finished the series by committing to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Got my Wii plugged into my TV at 480p and I'm ready to invest my after-work time playing this game.

First off, I have to mention how much talking there is in the game so far (I just made it to Bryyo). Samus stands around silently while people give her objectives. I'm pushing through it, and it could be worse since the VAs aren't terrible. It's simply an odd departure from being given a mission at the beginning of the other two Prime games and being left to use your map, your traversing skills, and combat prowess. In Corruption, it's Samus and Hunters do this and that. Even though I'm alone in Bryyo currently, I have an AI(?) that speaks to me? I don't know if it's the Aurora Unit (plot stuff I wont get into), but I suppose all this talking goes along with the urgent pace of the game. However, I don't think Metroid games should be urgent and instead should focus on letting the player explore at their own pace. Perhaps this game will prove otherwise by the end.

It's neat I can go into Hyper Mode when I want after playing MP1 and 2. I'm hoping the game makes good use of it and its power. Otherwise, the combat is nothing new so far. The thought behind which beam to use seems to be gone (I miss that from Echoes) and I run into doors that need extreme cold and high heat to open, and I'm guessing they're referencing the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam respectively. That's disappointing, but I'll wait and see what weapons I find later on.

Also, the enemies are the same as they've always been except with new names or with different models. I did fight some lizard hunter dudes who throw boomerangs and have whips. They take a few missles to kill (I'm playing on Veteran).

The controls are fine, which is why I don't have much to say about them except how I wish I could use a controller.

Hopefully this game slows down its implied pace soon. I don't need to be reminded left and right about what I need to be doing when I have a map showing me where to go.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What you mentioned here is a lot of the reason Prime 3 ranks 3rd among the Prime trilogy to me, and it's not even close.

Retro tried too hard with the story. It ended up having too much handholding, especially since the areas are generally more linear and less intertwined. I didn't like having separate planets due to this, even though the elevators in the previous games didn't make any logical sense, they allowed for an interconnected world.

The beam upgrades were also disappointing, I hated that they all just stacked. The implementation of beam swapping in trilogy wasn't great, it was better than nothing.

I don't recall the game ever slowing down, it's constantly nudging you in the right direction. Plan to replay it soon and get 100% on Trilogy, then I'll have 100% on all three games on it.

Toxi

Banned
You've just reached Bryyo? The game gets a lot better after you reach it the first time. Metroid Prime 3 has a pretty obnoxious beginning that feels like something outside of another series, but the game massively improves once you leave Norion. There are still some issues with talkiness (Especially with the Aurora Unit), but it's much more Metroid-y and interesting.

NotLiquid

Prime 3 was the right kind of "people telling you what to do" as far as I'm concerned.

Narrative wise it was clear they all considered you an important asset to the situation, and didn't hold you back, unlike Other M's patronizing setup.

Prime 3 starts off way too linear. Though I will say that it balances the fetch quest aspect really well since you can do it while playing the main quest. On top of that I love the aspect of exploring multiple planets as each one of them have their different lore, creatures and lifestyle. It made things incredibly varied and added additional depth to the scanning which is already one of my most favorite mechanics.

hunnies28

What you mentioned here is a lot of the reason Prime 3 ranks 3rd among the Prime trilogy to me, and it's not even close.

Retro tried too hard with the story. It ended up having too much handholding, especially since the areas are generally more linear and less intertwined. I didn't like having separate planets due to this, even though the elevators in the previous games didn't make any logical sense, they allowed for an interconnected world.

The beam upgrades were also disappointing, I hated that they all just stacked. The implementation of beam swapping in trilogy wasn't great, it was better than nothing.

I don't recall the game ever slowing down, it's constantly nudging you in the right direction. Plan to replay it soon and get 100% on Trilogy, then I'll have 100% on all three games on it.

I like the game, but I still think they coul have made the planets interconnect in some way, like having Phazon based portals that linked them. After all, the planets were all corrupted.

Some random thought: It would be pretty cool to get your objectives a la MP1 while on the move. Even if the VA is still speaking to you , you could at least be moving. Imagine getting your next objective while blasting a few pirates.

Edit: If I remember correctly, the AU do this to some extent. I meant replacing the cutscenes where you are told your objectives.

Metroid Prime 3 is the single best use of Wiimote and nunchuck in any game.

Not one motion control was forced, or didn't work well, or was awkward. Instead it improved on the controls of MP1+2.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I never got a sense of urgency once I got down to the planet, by that point the urgency is all in your head OP, just explore the world now

Marow

I actually didn't find the dialogue too bothersome, to be honest.

The major drag for me was the lack of atmosphere, oddly enough. Having to travel between different planets, with none ever feeling fleshed out (generally felt like linear corridors), made it lose the tension other Metroid titles has. In this regard, I guess the dialogue didn't help either. Furthermore, I think the structure of the game felt more transparent than the previous two Prime games.

It's a bit strange consdering that Metroid Prime Hunters, despite being a poor game, constantly had me on the edge despite featuring planetary travel. I guess the random hunter matches, along with slightly more open maps, was what did it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I loved MP1 and really really enjoyed MP2, but after starting MP3 the in-game universe felt rather weird to me compared to every other game in the series. I couldn't help thinking why were all these random and rather silly looking people in a series that pretty much never had any other characters, I never felt the games needed them so why were there suddenly a ton of them. While it is all rather vivid in my mind, I'm pretty sure I remember the person you go to see on the ship at the beginning had a rather stupid hat helmet thing.

Sadly I think I only ended up playing an hour or so before I had to go do something else at the time and never went back. I could play pretty much any Metroid, besides 1 and 2 at a push both due to their age, any day of the week, but I find no urge to go back to MP3 at all.

Fandangox

Elyssya (Don't remember the spelling) Is one of my favorite planets in the entire series. I think some of your complains about the dialog and pace might disappear in that section.

I never felt the sense of "wow" that Prime 1 and 2 had when I first played them when playing Corruption.

It felt too big of a departure from the other games, with getting rid of the open world, having voice acting, stackable beams, and just really dull characters (I hated the other hunters you work with).

My hope is that with Prime 4, they can go back to what they got right in Prime 1: The atmosphere.

This talking NPC trend started with Prime 2 (to a lesser extent) and is something completely out of place in a Metroid game, part of the process of diluting the games into something more closer to a cinematic adventure/shooter game.

The OP comment about wanting a control seems odd since what little flavor the game has comes from the inmersive control scheme. Taking into consideration my first paragraph, if it wasn't for the Wii Remote control scheme the game would have ended been the weakest among the 3 games but with no distintive quality to call it's own.

The cinematics are downright amateurish. One could easily fault Retro, but i don't remember those been that bad in the previous games. Maybe there were some time constraints related issues and the team needed to rush them. WHo knows? but there's something off about them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Elyssya (Don't remember the spelling) Is one of my favorite planets in the entire series. I think some of your complains about the dialog and pace might disappear in that section.

Skytown is amazing, but it's also the only location in Prime 3 that really stands out. Recall Bryyo being alright at least.

Toxi

Banned
This talking NPC trend started with Prime 2 (to a lesser extent) and is something completely out of place in a Metroid game, part of the process of diluting the games into something more closer to a cinematic adventure/shooter game.
Actually, the talking NPC trend started with Metroid Fusion.

am-i-the-only-one-who-remembers-metroid-fusion.jpg

Skytown is amazing, but it's also the only location in Prime 3 that really stands out. Recall Bryyo being alright at least.
I would put Bryyo way above Skytown. Skytown has some serious level design problems after
the docking spire is dropped
, since it removes one of the most important branching rooms in the level and makes moving around it more linear and tedious.

Afrocious

I thought you even got some non-voice talk in the beginning of Super Metroid.

I know Fusion did it before Echoes though, and Echoes wasn't bad about it considering it was only one character in one room for the entire game.

Correct. But to be honest, i didn't have it present in my mind since besides been a portable game Fusion is developed by an entirely different team. Basically i consider the Prime series (to some extent) separated from the main series.

Bit off topic but since Fusion has been brought up to the disscussion, it is kind of sad to see Other M getting all the harsh words when some of it's most critisized aspects started with Fusion (Introspective Samus, long dialogue and plot exposures, heavy linearity, etc.)

Regarding the talking. A narrator is not necessarily an NPC and it even doesn't matter since it was a small ambience dialogue at the game's intro, Samus never gets in contact with the narrator so the sence of solitude and mistery is maintained through out the whole game.

Morts

It gets better, but it's probably the weakest of the three (though I do get annoyed with the dark world in MP2). It felt like they took a risk trying to expand the Metroid universe a bit, but they ended up with a Saturday morning cartoon instead.

Still, it introduces a lot of cool stuff, like using your ship for puzzles and traveling between planets. It has one of the coolest locations in the series with Skytown as well. Plus, every time they do the motion-control 'pull switch out rotate and push back in' gimmick I feel like I'm detaching the deflector dish from the Enterprise in Star Trek First Contact.

Toxi

Banned
Are there missables in Corruption?
Missable scans? Tons. Way more than Prime and even Prime 2. Most of them are enemy types that are replaced by another enemy type in that area. It doesn't help that there are so many pointless Space Pirate variation scans.

Missable items? No.

I thought you even got some non-voice talk in the beginning of Super Metroid.
That's not the same thing though, since it's only during the intro. The NPC stuff Metroid fans complain about is when other people start talking to Samus while she's adventuring. It makes the whole thing feel less lonely, which is a big minus for Metroid.

U-Mos was fine for me, since he stayed in one spot and never talked too much. He's kinda like the Firelink Shrine in Dark Souls. But the talking NPCs in Fusion, Corruption, and Other M? Not a fan.

roytheone

I just started this game 2 days ago after finishing echoes. I agree completely that the first two hours or so are waaaaaaay to linear, it doesn't fell like metroid at all.

The increased focus on story and characters doesn't really bother me as much, but it is also quite out of place in a metroid game. The best aspect of the prime games was always the fantastic atmosphere, and that seems to be gone in corruption.

I do like the combat a lot better tho, I played prime 1 and 2 on the GameCube, so the wiimote controls are new to me. They work great and the combat is more fun with them.

Apparently the game gets better after the point I'm at now, so let's hope that is true.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The GFS Valhalla stands out.

I don't even have the slightest recollection of that area.

Guess I definitely need to replay soon. Don't think I've touched Prime 3 since I beat it when it came out, actually. Beaten Prime 1 at least twice and Prime 2 once since then.

Toxi

Banned
Dammit. Guess I'll find some scan guide.
You're gonna need it. Hopefully you haven't missed any yet.

On the plus side, your scans will be kept for a new game, so you can replay the game and get 100% scans that time... But it really still sucks.

At least there's no Ing Web Trap.

Afrocious

You're gonna need it.

On the plus side, your scans will be kept for a new game, so you can replay the game and get 100% scans that time... But it really still sucks.

At least there's no Ing Web Trap...

Haha. I thought that one turret in the beginning of Echoes was worse. The turret is no different from the others in the game except it shoots a different kind of bullet.

englandprevails

Neo Member
Im currently playing through this after losing interest the first time it came out. It def gets better once you get to Bryyo but the amount of dialogue is still a bit too much. Im at skytown and so far all the boss fights have been pretty excellent. A bit frustrating but still manageable on Veteran setting. Nothing beats Metroid Prime 1 for me though. Perfection

Another great game in the series. My only issue is the way interplanetary travel is handled. I don't feel that going back to your ship and manually piloting it added anything to the game. It seemed just like an excuse to show off motion controls that unfortunately slows down travel. It makes the game feel more like Ratchet and Clank than Metroid.

But that's a minor complaint. Besides that, this is the game that proves that pointer controls are the best input methods for shooters. Having the freedom to move and aim in 3D space at the same time was amazing. Pointer controls eliminated the need for a Z-Targeting like system that takes away a lot challenge and are much more precise than a second analogue stick. Pikmin 3 is another game that does this really well.

NotLiquid

The Space Pirate Homeworld was one of the best moments in the game in my opinion. You finally got to see the planet that your long sworn enemies reside on and the circumstances of their existence. No other Metroid game was as telling about their race as much as this one. It had such an 80s cyberpunk feel to it.

Also Phaaze, despite being an endgame planet, felt incredibly mysterious and impressionable since you've gone through two games with no context for Phazon's origin.

Toxi

Banned
The Space Pirate Homeworld was one of the best moments in the game in my opinion. You finally got to see the planet that your long sworn enemies reside on and the circumstances. It had such an 80s cyberpunk feel to it.

Also Phaaze, despite being an endgame planet, felt incredibly mysterious and impressionable since you've gone through two games with no context for Phazon's origin.
Um, might want to spoil that.

The
Pirate Homeworld
has really grown on me on replay. I like the way
everything is so harsh on the eyes, and I like that one room with the massive animal carcass hollowed out for science experiments.

And
Phaaze
is wonderfully weird.

Not one motion control was forced, or didn't work well, or was awkward. Instead it improved on the controls of MP1+2.

While I agree that the pointer controls and jumping (as a morph ball) via motion were excellent, the "grab, pull and twist this" unlock sequences and the how-to overlay that displayed every single time even though they were all identical were obnoxious as hell. Those were the very definition of forced, but at least they're very short.

It was also weird that Samus was using her left hand, while we were using our right - I thought Nintendo was against that, being that they mirrored a whole game to avoid it.

nkarafo

First off, I have to mention how much talking there is in the game so far (I just made it to Bryyo). Samus stands around silently while people give her objectives. I'm pushing through it, and it could be worse since the VAs aren't terrible.
Do not, i repeat, do not play OtherM. Ever.

Servbot24

Banned
Good game, but distant 3rd in the trilogy. It's an example of why Metroid is going to struggle if it goes back to Retro. Today's AAA climate does not welcome a game like Metroid.

Heroman

Banned
Prime 3 is the best prime game. Every area in game is so God damn unique and the story of what had to them are great.

It's a great game. I think it's better on many aspects compared to Prime 2, but Prime 1 is still the best game out of the three.

Hope we get some kind of sequel sooner or later.

Toxi

Banned
Good game, but distant 3rd in the trilogy. It's an example of why Metroid is going to struggle if it goes back to Retro. Today's AAA climate does not welcome a game like Metroid.
Is there anyone at Nintendo who can still make an awesome Metroid game?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think it would only be an issue if they allowed it to be. IIRC Prime 3 was intended to be different than the first two games from the start, since Prime 2 already took Prime 1 and pushed everything about it to the limits (in some cases for the better, in other cases not).

Making something akin to Prime 1/2 again would be fresh enough today that it would be worthwhile. And the fact much of Retro's staff has turned over since then could potentially allow for some fresh concepts.

Afrocious

Got farther in Brryo. The game definitely got better, but I dunno if it's because I suck but that Kartokk (boss you have to become a ball and drop bombs under and then attack its underbelly) sucked. I think that was the worst boss I've fought in the series simply due to how much health he had. Maybe that's veteran mode. I dunno.

Rundas was fun. I figured that fight would be later on in the game given how many people talk about it.

Tied with Prime for the best game in the series, though I realize that's not a popular opinion. Glad you are starting to enjoy it OP. It only gets better and better as it goes on.

I would put Bryyo way above Skytown. Skytown has some serious level design problems after
the docking spire is dropped
, since it removes one of the most important branching rooms in the level and makes moving around it more linear and tedious.

Once you drop the spire you are pretty much done with Elysia. You are only required to go back to get the spider ball, and at that point you don't even need to go to where the spire was, as you can use a shortcut via screw attack. Also, concerning the spire, you don't need it anyway at that point because of the mophball cannons that will shoot you from pod to pod. Your complaints don't really make sense.

Veteran mode is equivalent to the previous games' Normal (Normal was renamed Veteran for them in the Trilogy versions, and Normal became an easier difficulty). If enemies seem spongy to you, that's how they were intended by default, for better or worse.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Correct. But to be honest, i didn't have it present in my mind since besides been a portable game Fusion is developed by an entirely different team. Basically i consider the Prime series (to some extent) separated from the main series.

Bit off topic but since Fusion has been brought up to the disscussion, it is kind of sad to see Other M getting all the harsh words when some of it's most critisized aspects started with Fusion (Introspective Samus, long dialogue and plot exposures, heavy linearity, etc.)

Regarding the talking. A narrator is not necessarily an NPC and it even doesn't matter since it was a small ambience dialogue at the game's intro, Samus never gets in contact with the narrator so the sence of solitude and mistery is maintained through out the whole game.

Its not sad. It wasnt nearly as bad in Fusion as in Other M. Not even close.

Afrocious

Veteran mode is equivalent to the previous games' Normal (Normal was renamed Veteran for them in the Trilogy versions, and Normal became an easier difficulty). If enemies seem spongy to you, that's how they were intended by default, for better or worse.

That's gross. Yeah, some of these enemies are genuinely spongy. I mean, I can kill them, but you'd think I wouldn't have to keep spamming ice missiles.

Every time I replay MP1 or MP2, I get sad they don't have the glorious interface/improvements of MP3, like better scanning (MP1's is just awful), the clever Wiimote implementations (like
welding
), the beam stacking (I hate beam switching), the higher poly count, the
in-game pickup map
, the on-screen battery indicator (it's not even there in Trilogy MP1 and MP2!), and just the most refined art design in the series.

Every time I replay MP1 or MP3 I get sad it isn't MP2.

So what I'm trying to say is, these games are great. :D

Top Bottom