• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concave Sticks, I fucking hate you (>___<)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
conxex or concave, it doesn't matter. what does matter is placement of sticks, whether or not they're asymmetrical or symmetrical. Bow down to your asymmetrical master race.

pixlexic

Banned
Hate!! Seething Hate he has!!

But yeah I think I agree. Lol love the ds3. Seemed easier to do stick clicks with concave sticks as well.

Glass Rebel

I don't really hate concave sticks or anything. But I'm definitely in the crowd that prefers convex. Wii U pro controller is so good.

Also I'm just gonna come out and say it. Triggers suck. Give me all digital shoulder buttons any day.

I definitely agree with this for anything that isn't a shooter or a racer.

Fezan

Looks like I am the only person on earth who has no issues with any controller. Obviously some are more compfortable than others. I had never issues with ds3 ds2 gamecube 360 or any other controller. Even ps3 triggers gave me no issues. And I could add easily pay god of war as ps2 version. Similarly vita and xbone stick felt to lose at start after 30 minutes I was pulling headshots as easily as another controller

I can understand if the ridges one convex sticks hurt your fingers, but the trade off is they have superior grip. For me, the Dualshock4 has the grip without any of the sharp edges that make your fingers sore.

Convex sticks are one of the worst thing to happen to gaming.

I'm thankful for the 360 controller being mega popular, because now concave sticks are becoming popular in other applications.

ryuken-d

Convex fucking blows.

Thank you sony/ms for choosing the right way to make controllers
jbwymqbkNReswf.png

I agree I never knew why they thought a smaller point of contact (convex) was a good choice. Concav all the way more of my thumb make contact with stick so more grip easy!!!

ryuken-d

Looks like I am the only person on earth who has no issues with any controller. Obviously some are more confidante than others. I had never issues with ds3 ds2 gamecube 360 or any other controller. Even ps3 triggers gave me no issues. And I could add easily pay god of war as ps2 version. Similarly vita and xbone stick felt to lose at start after 30 minutes I was pulling headshits as easily as another contrikler

I'm right with you all the way but racing games for DS3 I use those clip on triggers.

I can kinda see where you're coming from. I really wish this was the standard:

220px-GameCube_Analog_Stick.jpg

The ridges make for a really comfortable grip, while not expecting your thumb to necessarily move to and rest in the center. The newer Nintendo sticks are alright, with just the one outer ridge. It's just a shame the grip starts to wear out so fast.. mine usually only last a couple years.

DS3/2/1 are the worst of it though. I'd takes PS4/X1/360 over that any day.

Funnily enough, I always had a hard time keeping my thumb on the GC controller's analog :/

pr0cs

Think you're on your own on this one. I would never go back to convex sticks, the DS3 was exceptionally uncomfortable and I found my thumbs slipping off them very often.

Timeaisis

I'm with you OP. My thumbs are too big for concave, they never "fit" in the area they are supposed to fit in. With convex, you have the option of placing your thumb in the middle, or on the edge of the stick. It's much more comfortable.

For this reason, DS3 > DS4.

mattp

i love convex sticks
let's me just roll my thumb back and forth

so much better than convex
suck it convex lovers

Convex are much better than concave because it is easier to use the tops of your fingers and thus in game where it matters, accuracy is higher than a concave stick. What was also nice about the DS3 was the resistance and deadzone.

Orayn

Left stick: No preference whatsoever, since most of the time I'm just pushing the stick around from the edge using the base or side of my thumb.

Right stick: Still a wash, since having it in the lower position gives me enough leverage that my thumb is very unlikely to slip off.

In general, I care about the material, tension, and feel of moving an analog stick a lot more than the design of its top. Just another one of those issues that's incredibly polarizing to some and a total non-issue to others, I guess.

Convex sticks are terrible. So happy it's so simple to mod the Xbox One sticks on the DS4. The DS3 should be exhibited in the Museum of Terrible Design. Every single aspect of that piece of crap just sucks.

Convex sticks are terrible. So happy it's so simple to mod the Xbox One sticks on the DS4. The DS3 should be exhibited in the Museum of Terrible Design. Every single aspect of that piece of crap just sucks.

Xbox One stick works for me actually because:

A - deep center for you thumb to rest in
B - almost no resistance ala the DualShock3, so the stick is never fighting your thumb

DJ_Lae

I love concave, although I generally don't have a problem with convex either.

Except on the Vita, although there the ridiculously short throw and the tiny size are the bigger offenders.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Recently I was looking for a good controller for PC gaming and looking into ergonomic mice and keyboards because my hands were starting to hurt. I was trying to figure out what makes a comfortable controller so I have some right here. I have a wired 360 pad (with the 4 dimples in the stick), dualshock 3, and a standard gamecube controller.

Lots of posts here are saying they like to plant their thumb in the concave stick but I'm finding that very difficult to do with the left analog stick in the top configuration like the 360 pad. For left to right movement sure, I can keep my thumb planted nicely in there and move side to side, but to do this for up and down takes a considerable amount of wrist movement for me. It is much more comfortable to push and pull the stick with a flicking motion (like flipping a coin) and this is where a convex shape (GCN controller) shines with a more fluid feel to the adjustment as well as more surface area compared to the rim of a concave.

For the right stick in lower position I can keep my thumb in the pocket decently. But even here I feel like the freedom of the rolling action provided by a convex stick (DS3) is overall more comfortable and allows more precise movement. This also carries over to the symmetrical left stick of the DS3.

Overall I prefer a convex stick but concave works too. I think it would be cool if controller manufactures provided different versions of the controllers with concave/convex, or just had parts available for sale for those who prefer either.

As for my quest for a good PC controller I'm thinking the symmetrical top position convex sticks of the Wii U Pro controller might work for me.

Recently I was looking for a good controller for PC gaming and looking into ergonomic mice and keyboards because my hands were starting to hurt. I was trying to figure out what makes a comfortable controller so I have some right here. I have a wired 360 pad (with the 4 dimples in the stick), dualshock 3, and a standard gamecube controller.

Lots of posts here are saying they like to plant their thumb in the concave stick but I'm finding that very difficult to do with the left analog stick in the top configuration like the 360 pad. For left to right movement sure, I can keep my thumb planted nicely in there and move side to side, but to do this for up and down takes a considerable amount of wrist movement for me. It is much more comfortable to push and pull the stick with a flicking motion (like flipping a coin) and this is where a convex shape (GCN controller) shines with a more fluid feel to the adjustment as well as more surface area compared to the rim of a concave.

For the right stick in lower position I can keep my thumb in the pocket decently. But even here I feel like the freedom of the rolling action provided by a convex stick (DS3) is overall more comfortable and allows more precise movement. This also carries over to the symmetrical left stick of the DS3.

Overall I prefer a convex stick but concave works too. I think it would be cool if controller manufactures provided different versions of the controllers with concave/convex, or just had parts available for sale for those who prefer either.

As for my quest for a good PC controller I'm thinking the symmetrical top position convex sticks of the Wii U Pro controller might work for me.

Great post :)

cakefoo

Technically, the inside of a DS4 thumstick is convex. The outside is raised but that doesn't really make it concave. I just tried a store demo where the left stick that had been worn smooth, and the only thing barely catching my thumb from sliding off was the slightly raised ring.

XBOX sticks, otoh, have a truly concave area in the center. Even on a worn pad, it's easier to keep your thumb centered.

I feel that concave Xbox is a better design overall, with a fresh DS4 being close behind, and worn Xbox stick being tied or close behind that. Then fresh DS3, then worn DS4. Never played with a worn DS3.

tengiants

Convex for sure. My hands get just a little sweaty and my thumb slides off of a concave stick. This happens a lot because I play a lot of challenging games that get me worked up. Due to this, I'm pretty sure if you prefer convex you're playing more challenging games, encouraging more sweat, and therefore a more talented gamer. ;)

Top Bottom