• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Razer Nostromo. Damn you expensive.

ksVq7zh.jpg

So bought a Belkin N52 back in the mid 2000s for $50. I kept it for 3-4 yrs and had to replace it and got a Razer Nostromo for about $50-$60. My daughter likes to use it for Minecraft so I was looking them up on Amazon and they are $250 new. I guess they have been replaced by the Razer Tartus($80) which looks inferior to me, but what do I know.

Anyone else notice this and is the Tartus any good, compared to the Nostromo?

Cormano

So bought a Belkin N52 back in the mid 2000s for $50. I kept it for 3-4 yrs and had to replace it and got a Razer Nostromo for about $50-$60. My daughter likes to use it for Minecraft so I was looking them up on Amazon and they are $250 new. I guess they have been replaced by the Razer Tartus($80) which looks inferior to me, but what do I know.

Anyone else notice this and is the Tartus any good, compared to the Nostromo?

I still need to open mine, been setting there until i can build a new pc.

Ceebs

I just sold mine on GAF today for 25 bucks (about what they go for on Ebay)

I bought for like 40 bucks it to try for WoW a while back, but ended up just going back to the keyboard. I did not see the appeal.

I still need to open mine, been setting there until i can build a new pc.

Don't open it. It will be worth $500 in a couple years at this rate.

I just sold mine on GAF today for 25 bucks (about what they go for on Ebay)

I bought for like 40 bucks it to try for WoW a while back, but ended up just going back to the keyboard. I did not see the appeal.
I have never got good at using WASD and it took me about 2 weeks of forcing myself to use the Nostromo, but when I was done it was worth it. I use 12 of the keys as double duty macros using shift as a modifier.

Unrelated, but I sold a Razer Hydra for $300. The prices on some of Razer's discontinued niche peripherals are kind of ridic. I bought it for like $90 a month or so prior.

Corpekata

Banned
I think Orbweaver, not Tartus is their current version of this. Looks like it's a lot more adjustable too. Been thinking of trying one out in a couple months when I have more funds.

Exuro

Unrelated, but I sold a Razer Hydra for $300. The prices on some of Razer's discontinued niche peripherals are kind of ridic. I bought it for like $90 a month or so prior.
I should had bought one back when woot was selling them for $40. :( Really regret it after seeing that oculus/hydra hl2 mod.

Oreoleo

I don't exactly see the point of these when it's basically just a 3rd of a keyboard anyway, unless space is a serious issue for you. The Nostromo does not have enough keys to be viable in my opinion. Looks like they fixed that with the Orbweaver, at least.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I don't exactly see the point of these when it's basically just a 3rd of a keyboard anyway, unless space is a serious issue for you. The Nostromo does not have enough keys to be viable in my opinion. Looks like they fixed that with the Orbweaver, at least.
You can set up modifiers and keymaps. A lot of people only use ~10 buttons around wsad on keyboards anyway.

Thumb movement is really nice imo.

Oreoleo

You can set up modifiers and keymaps. A lot of people only use ~10 buttons around wsad on keyboards anyway.

Thumb movement is really nice imo.

That's all well and good if people can make it work for them but to be honest, if there isn't at least 4 rows of keys it might as well not even exist in my opinion. 2 rows for WASD, one above and one below. If I'm going to buy a specialty device why should I have to compromise and come up with keybinds that are antithetical to how I've been gaming for the last ~15 years?

forrest

formerly nacire
Changing from a d-pad with optional thumbstick to a mandatory thumbstick kind of kills this product for me personally. I have a Belkin n52 and a Razer nostromo and really love them both, though the Razer build quality feels lesser than the Belkin. I use the d-pad as strafe and forward/reverse movement in MMOs and various other single key button functions in other games.

Having tried the newer models as well as the optional thumbstick on both of mine, it just doesn't work in the same way nor does it feel comfortable. I hate that there isn't much competition in the market for these and I can see why people pay more for the discontinued versions that have options they find superior.

Top Bottom