• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Castle Siege announced

Wiktor

I am shocked that Microsoft continue to not give a damn about PC gaming.

At this point it no longer classifies as such. Instead of looks like Microsoft decided to see how much damage the can intentionally cause to pcgaming and how much crap they can throw at pcgamers.

First of all, no..it didn't sell 2 mln units in lifetime. It sold that much till mid 2008.
The 2 million number from 2008 is 3 years after it released. How much more do you think it sold? Come on. We're talking tens of thousands of units most likely since then. Bottom line, AoE3 had a lot of hype, it looked incredible visually (easily the best RTS graphics out at the time), it was a sequel to one of the best games ever, and despite all that it still only sold a little over 2 million units.

Meanwhile, you're unlikely to make any real money on this F2P monstrocity. Even games like those on iOS and Android flop in 99,99% of cases. And it being WindowsPhone/8 exclusive kills any financial viability this project might have
This F2P turd probably cost like $500k to 1 mil to make. I agree the Win Phone and Win 8 exclusivity kills it tho. They're trying to build incentive to get a Windows Phone.

Dolor

s9dmrPw.gif

Perfect.

AJ_Wings

I am shocked that Microsoft continue to not give a damn about PC gaming.

Shocked I tell you.

Yet, they always try to tell us otherwise.

Sigh, I'd love to see a modern AOE game. Heck, it doesn't need to be mega, AAA project. Just make it 2D like the first 2 games on a reasonable budget, I can't see why that won't sell on today's PC market especially since it'll be riding the AOE name.

nynt9

Potentially? The same people who give Supercell this much on a daily basis.

fNjJ6Ya.png

The game's not for you, but it is for someone. And MS has judged that this "someone" is a more lucrative market than you are.

Yeah releasing it on Windows Phone will definitely help it reach those numbers.

Almighty

Yeah read the game title and I knew it was a mobile game. Classic Microsoft. All that talk about how you will be supporting the PC and you can't even give a PC market starving for RTS games a new Age of Empires. Instead you decided to send this game to die.

Won

F2P, mobile and exclusive on top of it. That's some serious hate by Microsoft. Poor Age of Empires.

Maztorre

AoE3 had what, 8 nations? Each with some distinct units. It had natives, it had a campaign, multi-player, and really good graphics for its time, easily the best of any RTS out when it released...not even close. If you want them to make some barebones sequel with average graphics for $5 mil or whatever that guy above said, then don't call it Age of Empires IV.

Please stop cherry-picking your arguments in this thread. I literally laid out how ridiculous it is for you to require an AoE sequel to have an "AAA" budget:

You do not know how game development works if you think the financial requirements for an RTS in terms of content are anywhere near those for a typical modern AAA title. Most of the time and cost requirements for AAA games are related to the huge amount of unique asset creation required to build a linear cinematic experience of any decent length without repetition. An RTS game like AoE is intrinsically cheaper to develop because a huge amount of the content is fundamentally designed to be experienced repeatedly (same 3-4 tilesets required for an entire campaign of maps, same sets of models and voice sample sets used for units, most of which are shared among the factions in the game) instead of linearly.

An RTS with high production values is inherently cheaper to create than the equivalent AAA production going on elsewhere in the industry currently. Claiming that Microsoft won't do it because the costs are too high for the PC market to support, (which has grown massively since Age of Empires was at its height) has nothing to do with Microsoft's reasons not to create a proper AoE sequel.

Please stop cherry-picking your arguments in this thread. I literally laid out how ridiculous it is for you to require an AoE sequel to have an "AAA" budget:

An RTS with high production values is inherently cheaper to create than the equivalent AAA production going on elsewhere in the industry currently. Claiming that Microsoft won't do it because the costs are too high for the PC market to support, (which has grown massively since Age of Empires was at its height) has nothing to do with Microsoft's reasons not to create a proper AoE sequel.
I'm not cherry-picking anything, dude. If you think a real AoE3 sequel could be done on a small budget, so be it. I can't refute that in any way. What do you want me to say besides "I disagree"?

vazel

Banned
I'm really depressed by this news. I was hoping the success of the AoEII rerelease on Steam would get Microsoft to make a proper sequel.

Also ugh at the guy applying console AAA standards to PC RTS games. :/

I'm really depressed by this news. I was hoping the success of the AoEII rerelease on Steam would get Microsoft to make a proper sequel.

Also ugh at the guy applying console AAA standards to PC RTS games. :/

Citing the term "AAA" doesn't automatically mean that person is referring to consoles. Why would anyone talk about consoles in a thread about AoE.

Rolodzeo

Expected f2p mobile game, found f2p mobile game. I suppose I'll give it a shot on my Lumia 520, but I really don't expect it to be any good :/

jagowar

There is a gameplay demo on their twitch channel.... it is very much a clash of clans knockoff but it is quite a bit more advanced. I really like clash of clans so a more advanced version in the age universe is a good thing. Very much looking forward to it.

forms

Free to play

Windows Phone

Touch

I am one of the first I know that got a Windows Phone. There is no chance that I will ever start this game.

Wasn't this revealed/announced months ago?

FAKE EDIT: Wait, nevermind, that was AOE World Domination. Carry on.

Anyway, this is pretty sad. Still hoping against hope for a full game, but it's looking more and more unlikely. Still, maybe they'll pull a Rollercoaster Tycoon, release the app to whet people's appetites for the full product. I can dream, right?

GeoGonzo

Also I bet it's a Clash of Clans clone.

Edit: *looks at trailer* Of course I was right.
Hah, I totally guessed it just by the thread title, even if I expected it to be for iOS.

The best thing about always expecting the worst is to never ever feel disappointed!

Top Bottom