• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About To Buy A Wii U...

If you have a friend who is an elite member at best buy they get 20% off all games. That's already $34+ tax off. That would be the best deal. Or you might want to hold off until October or so on software for buy 2 get 1 free sales. Also, purchase via ebates.com for 1% cashback.

Or you can buy into the elite gamer club yourself but it costs $120.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd swap out 3D World for Pikmin 3, Guacamelee (on the eShop), or Wind Waker, personally. Have fun with your new console! :)

Clipse

Stop by your local post office and ask for a change of address form. You should get an envelope with a bunch of coupons inside. One of them will be a Best Buy coupon for 10% off your purchase.

well, i don't think there's anywhere to get the actual games themselves for cheaper, but you should wait for somewhere to have a pro controller sale. I picked up mine for $30 and while it's probably the best controller ever, it goes on sale very often.

Also, you should consider picking up a wii u refurb for $200 if you don't mind purchasing NSMBU seperately.

And, of course, get Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101.

Seik

Banned
You probably won't have to pay 60$ for SM3DW and DK:TP.

More like 40$ each.

Oh yeah, and buy W101!

Phil S.

Banned
If after Donkey Kong and Mario you're still looking for 2D platformers, Rayman Legends plays best on Wii U, and it's just an awesome game in general.

I also recommend LEGO City Undercover. You can easily play for over 45 hours if you try to collect everything! That can be a purchase for down the road later, anyhow, as you seem to have a great selection of games so far. :)

ozfunghi

I would start with one Pro Controller and put the money of the second one toward Pikmin 3 and/or Wonderful 101. First try out the console before buying extra controllers. If you're buying them for party games, you're better off with Wiimotes anyway. And if you think you're not going to like the gamepad, i suggest you try it out before making judgement.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Someone on CAG posted that Walmart has white pro controllers on clearance; might be worth a look. Kmart did as well a while back, but they're probably gone by now.

Edit: Scratch that; you wouldn't be able to do PayPal/in-store-pick-up on clearance items.

McBeer-ME

Neo Member
I would hold off and keep an eye on eBay, they've been doing random deals where u can get the super Mario u bundle for 250 brand new. Also I suggest getting the nyko brand pro controllers. They cost about half of what the Nintendo ones do. Not as nice but work well enough for their purpose.

random25

I remembered the Pro controller getting a sale somewhere...maybe you can find one that is still cheap. But good price overall. Down the line, maybe you can backtrack on great games that were already out, like Wonderful 101, Zombi U and other stuff.

HUELEN10

Wii U store.nintendo.com Nintendoland Bundle with added nunchuck combo: 230 USD (shipped!) You CAN DO it through Paypal Mastercard cards, as with Amazon!

DK Baja Blast: 50 USD

Mario Kart Ocho: 48.37 USD (@ Amazon or Pricematch @ Best Buy)

Super Rosie Meow Meow Sprixie Adventure: 48.15 USD

Pro Controller X 2: 100 USD

Wii U Gamepad Stand/Cradle: 6 USD (@ Amazon or Pricematch @ Best Buy)

20 USD eShop Card: 20 USD Duh!

Mario U: 38.96 USD (@ Amazon or Pricematch @ Best Buy)

THIS PRICE: 541.48 USD

Do this OP, and you will have enough controllers for 4 player Kart and World, AND an extra game!

Ramstein

Banned
LEGO City Undercover. It's not going to be as immense as a GTA game, but it's damn fun and charming. Also, it's got a ton of movie references(to some Rated R movies even), so while it's made to appeal to kids, I(31 years old) found it very fun(ny).

jadedm17

First I'd like to ask why now and not a month ago? That bundle was $260 at target, the controllers have been $30 at Kmart and bestbuy, and Mario kart included a free game. That's $120 or so there. Oh and groupon had the nyko controllers for $12 each.

Console : Wait until Black Friday.
Controllers : watch for discounts or check kmarts clearances.
Games : Wait for Toysrus fall buy two get one deals.

IndustryX

I just got

Wii U Deluxe Refurb - $220 after tax and shipping
MK 8
WW HD
SM3DW
Pro Controller

Paid a total of $120 for all of the above after trading a couple of PS4 games.

Total package was Just under $350..

jholmes

Yeah OP, you're looking at some excellent games to get but you're probably paying a little too much for them. At the very least take a look at Amazon for some of those games, enjoy what's in the bundle and by the time you're acquainted with the console those games will have arrived.

Aroll

For someone who doesn't want to wait (prefers not to wait for shipping stuff), that sounds about right. The Pro Controller thing is truly a mystery though. Almost every game supports it, but actually finding a Pro Controller at retail is extremely hard. This may change closer to the holidays when everything Wii U will likely be stocked a bit, but still. I was lucky and found a second one used at GameStop for $40 the other day. The only one I had from my area was one I bought during launch in 2012. Odd that you can't easily find them really given they mimick the GamePad better than the Wiimote, which is still easy to find.

Hip Hop

The Mario Wii U Bundle has been on sales numerous times recently on Ebay. The controllers go on sale pretty often as well, and those games are overpriced by now. You should wait on a good deal tbh.

Hiltz

Yeah, I would go with buying a Wii U from Nintendo's website for $200. You'll save $100, and use it to by any other game plus the rest can be used toward the purchase of another game (or indie games) and a Wii U pro classic controller.

Persona7

Banned
I really want to get a Wii U in time for Bayonetta but I think I will just wait for black friday and see if I can get a good bundle or game deals or something like that. The ads usually leak out in early november or so, right?

Hiltz

I really want to get a Wii U in time for Bayonetta but I think I will just wait for black friday and see if I can get a good bundle or game deals or something like that. The ads usually leak out in early november or so, right?

I don't think there's really going to be a whole lot to take advantage of for Black Friday deals that you cannot already get nowadays. Retailers like Toys R Us and Target, seem to do those buy 1/2 games get 1 free or /50 % off the other, so you may want to check for those in Sunday newspapers. Obviously, most of Nintendo's 1st party games don't often receive price cuts, so Black Friday won't do much good ( but some third party games seem to be pretty cheap in the $15-20 price range if you look hard enough). Lastly, as far as bundle incentives go, I wouldn't think there's anything you can get that will beat console bundle offers you can find already, like with the Ebay $250 New SMB Wii U bundle or Nintendo's website offer for $200 Wii U Nintendoland bundle. I suppose the best potential holiday offers could be a reduced price for the Mario Kart 8 console bundles, or possibly a new Smash Bros console bundle.

I'm getting one tomorrow also. Mario deluxe Wii U with super mario 3d world, mario kart 8, and donkey kong country tropical freeze. I am exite!

sfried

The Wonderful 10...

Since it's close to release, you might want to consider getting Bayonetta 2 since you'll be getting two games for the price of one.

Hey GAF, I'm about to buy a Wii U from Bestbuy.com, was trying to find a store around me that had the Pro controller in stock, but nothing was available for 20+ miles and there was only 1 available at the closest location, and I need at least 2 (including Walmart, Kmart, GameStop, Target). I was going to do in-store pick up cause I have a ton of Paypal cash, but since it's not available in-store, I'm getting it shipped. Also eBay really didn't have a selection of great prices, so I decided to order online and ship.

Anyway, I thought I'd see if there is anywhere cheaper before pulling the trigger, or see if I am missing anything, so far...

Wii U Mario Bros. Bundle $300
DKC Tropical Freeze $50
Mario Kart $60
Mario 3D World $60
Pro Controller x 2 $100

Total:
$570

What do you guys think? Good deal? Know of anything cheaper?

Has to support Paypal btw. So no Amazon or Refurbished from the big N.

Get Pikmin 3 instead of DKCTF so you can have an RTS, a 2D platformer, a 3d platformer and a kart racer to start your Wii U collection. That's more variety than having 3 platformers out of 4 games. Also get Nintendoland and you'll have the finest and most polished games on the system.

leroidys

You've really got to get Pikmin 3. W101 is hit or miss ( I LOVED it, but not everyone will), but Pikmin 3 will be seen as one of the best games Miyamoto ever made, years from now.

I also highly, highly recommend WWHD, especially if you've never played it.

Update from the OP:

Just bought it. Everything brand new!

32gb Black New Super Mario Bros. U(?) Bundle
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country: TF
Mario Kart 8
Pro Controller x 2

About $425 total, with I am very pleased with, especially since it is all new. Safe to say I am very excited!

leroidys

Update from the OP:

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Pro Controller x 2

About $425 total, with I am very pleased with, especially since it is all new. Safe to say I am very excited!

Enjoy!

Update from the OP:

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Pro Controller x 2

You just got a great deal on your hands! Have a blast, man.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Update from the OP:

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Pro Controller x 2

Noice, where did you end up buying from?

wiggleb0t

Banned
Get a Ethernet adaptor :| lol WiiU doesn't have that, WiFi only.
HDD usb 3 NOT self powered.
Monster Hunters 3?

That's all to note from my purchase 2 months back.

Update from the OP:

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Pro Controller x 2

Good purchase! Trade in NSMBU though, you already have 3D World which is vastly superior.

Zombi U, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Nintendoland, Windwaker and Lego City are all well worth a look.

DOWN

Banned
The Wind Waker HD is wonderful. And if you've missed it previously, the definitive version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is on Wii U.

VampMuse

Neo Member
Hey GAF, I'm about to buy a Wii U from Bestbuy.com, was trying to find a store around me that had the Pro controller in stock, but nothing was available for 20+ miles and there was only 1 available at the closest location, and I need at least 2 (including Walmart, Kmart, GameStop, Target). I was going to do in-store pick up cause I have a ton of Paypal cash, but since it's not available in-store, I'm getting it shipped. Also eBay really didn't have a selection of great prices, so I decided to order online and ship.

Anyway, I thought I'd see if there is anywhere cheaper before pulling the trigger, or see if I am missing anything, so far...

DKC Tropical Freeze $50
Mario Kart $60
Mario 3D World $60
Pro Controller x 2 $100

Total:
$570

Have a friend you trust that you could paypal gift the money for a refurbished unit to? Save you some $

KooopaKid

Banned
The must haves right now on WiiU for me are :

Nintendoland (If you have friends coming over from time to time)
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Zelda WW HD (If you haven't played it in a while)
Mario Kart 8
The Wonderful 101
Guacamelee SCE

Percy

Banned
I've seen better deals, but that's worth it if Paypal is your only option. I say bite... and yeah, get Wonderful 101 as well and you're set for a while.

the definitive version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is on Wii U.

Nope, still PC.

Damigos

DKC Tropical Freeze $50
Mario Kart $60
Mario 3D World $60
Pro Controller x 2 $100

Total:
$570

Wait for a better bundle

Top Bottom