• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma in EDGE: Zelda Wii U won't be open world the same way other games are.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Up2: And another one:

One final quote in response to complaints about ALBWs structure:

"I think the rental system had the effect of changing how the game progresses. However, there were quite a few complaints from players who felt let down that it lacked the classic zelda element of exploring dungeons to get items that gradually let you do more. Empathy and growth are important elements in Zelda games and acquiring new items in order to reach new areas was an element of gameplay related to growth. I realize that in order to satisfy all players, we must not only come up with new ideas, but also include something that allows the player to experience enjoyable elements from older titles in the series in a new way".

Says a lot without saying anything much, this guy :)

Up: More quote:

Another quote to fuel discussion....

"In the original Legend of Zelda, there was no clear way to lead the character to his goal. The player was trusted to find it by themselves. As game worlds became more complex, we had to point players in the right direction. Consequently progress becomes more linear. To recreate an experience similar to the original, the world needs to have a simple structure that players can understand intuitively. We need to make each part of the world real and connected so it doesn't look fake. We also need a game map that depicts the world as it is. The gamepad is very effective for this. Innovations in this game are only possible due to Wii U hardware"

Coming from the new EDGE, quote provided by Boy Wander:

Aonuma: "Since we're talking about open worlds, let's state upfront that we don't plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years."

So he's basically saying Zelda Wii U won't be an open world game the same way GTA or Skyrim are?

What I think it means, sorta, but that's just my guess:

I'm thinking Aonuma means is:

In games like GTA or Skyrim, you can do a lot of things from the get go, but to advance the story, the main story, it's always the same thing, go there, do that.

I'm thinking that in Zelda Wii U, there will be multiple things you'll be able to do that will advance the main story.

It comes back to his other quote from a few months back that said: We don't want progress to be dictated by the number of dungeons the player cleared.

Banned
Coming from the new EDGE, quote provided by Boy Wander:

So he's basically saying Zelda Wii U won't be an open world game the same way GTA or Skyrim are?
That's good. I don't want Skyrim like Zelda. More like assassins creed open world or infamous. It has the feel but it's not as large and is more dense.

From the other thread;

I'm hoping this is a comment about the lack of a hand-crafted feel in many other modern open world games, not about some kind of contention on what it means for a world to be "open."

I have been terribly burned by putting too much trust in Aonuma before. I don't think he can pull this off without having some kind of newfound respect for the original Legend of Zelda (which is the kind of open world it seems he's talking about), which I sadly highly doubt given his past comments on the game.

Heyt

Banned
Is there a thread with bulletpoints about the EDGE feature or something like that? I know the new news new thrad rule but I rather at all of the info at once.

Rich!

I dont think anyone should be hoping for a Skyrim Zelda. An open world Zelda just needs to take note from....zelda 1-3. And Xenoblade (overworld design)

majik13

hmmm , not sure how I feel about this. If they are going to make comments like that, then they need to clarify them.
Hopefully it means that, like they have said before, the environment itself will be a sort of challeng/puzzle in terms of just trying to figure out how to reach somewehere. Kinda like ALBW and unlike most open world games.

If this means less checklist-design, then I'm fine with this.

and hopefully like this as well.

Orayn

Good! There are many ways to do an "open-world" game, and the current most popular approaches are some of my least favorites.

Thank god. Saying all the right things. Few things could deflate my hype more than them trying to copy the bloat of something like Skyrim just because it seems to be the popular thing.

Let's just have faith in the man. If anyone deserves some faith, it's him. If anything, telling us that we aren't getting a game with a similar structure to every other modern RPG of the past 7 years is a good thing.

ReyVGM

I actually wasn't expecting it to be as open as skyrim or GTA, after all, Zelda games are supposed to have structure and order.

What I expect is a more open Zelda like the first game that you could visit most of the map without having to deal with story roadblocks.

Typical "we do things OUR way" comment that really isn't indicative of anything. Still open world in some way, and we'll most likely see how when we actually play it.

Gonna need the rest of the interview for context I guess.

Volotaire

See that mountain over there? You can go there eventually.

HahaNice.gif

Didn't he say in a previous interview that the point of the game is that you have no direction of where to go, and that you progress by going towards every location you can see?

Some Nobody

That kinda diminishes my hype.

My hype initially lead me to think this might be a Zelda that was different enough to actually be interesting to me. The more I hear Aonuma talk, the more I realize it's probably just going to be more of the same. Which, y'know, is good for the people who are already Zelda fans. But bad if they want to expand the base.

random25

I think this is in line with Miyamoto saying before that Zelda U just mentioned "open world" to convey the idea easily to the Western audience, but is not technically an open world game like how we define it using games like Skyrim for reference.

There are good reasons for limiting the capacity of a given world. Depends on the player but...Fallout 3, Skyrim....never finished any of them myself.

There are reasons I didn't.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I expect more FFXI open world than say GTA or Skyrim. You'll be able to go anywhere... you're allowed to go.

Rich!

Because no other open world game has that mountain you can go to. You know, the one over there.

See that mountain over there? You can go there eventually.

Whats hilarious is that this quote was used to promote Ocarina of Time back in 1998. As stated by N64 Magazine in their review:

You see that mountain there in the distance? You can go there, right to the top. Later, you fight a dragon there.

This is nothing new, especially for Zelda.

From the other thread;

I have been terribly burned by putting too much trust in Aonuma before. I don't think he can pull this off without having some kind of newfound respect for the original Legend of Zelda (which is the kind of open world it seems he's talking about), which I sadly highly doubt given his past comments on the game.

image.php

Deku Tree

So Aonuma said "Zelda will be open world"
Then later Aonuma said "wait Zelda will be open world, but not in the way you are used to open world."

So basically Aonuma used a cool catch phrase to generate excitement and now he is telling us that the catch phrase will mean whatever he wants it to mean and he will tell us what he means later on?

He said that they won't have an open world in the same way as other open world games, not that there wouldn't be an open world or large environments. They just don't want to make it so obviously like everything else where you just run around aimlessly without actually doing anything meaningful. I don't want a game world that is big just to be big. That's oftentimes boring and useless to me.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sounds fine to me.

I want my Zelda 'open world' to be like Arkham City's. Less emphasis on size, more on secrets and puzzles, every second step you take.

epmode

So Aonuma said "Zelda will be open world"
Then later Aonuma said "wait Zelda will be open world, but not in the way you are used to open world."

So basically Aonuma used a cool catch phrase to generate excitement and now he is telling us that the catch phrase will mean whatever he wants it to mean and he will tell us what he means later on?

Right? This thread is disappointing.

Just go with Zelda 1's open world style in 3D. Good times will be had by all.

Sounds like it'll be open world in the vein of Wind Waker/Skyshit Sword, e.g. a very wide & open hub world that you use to get to all the isolated, scripted areas.

Jackano

Open worlds often means world generators. One of the best aspects of Zelda worlds is that every piece of it have a meaning, or something hidden, or something you should return to when you will have item X.

I'm ok with Aonuma keeping some part of this world locked through puzzles or progression.
What I'm waiting for an "open-world" Zelda, is no loading or corridors, a much larger scale, but while keeping Hyrule interesting and alive. We often read that Twilight Princess was lifeless, if Aonuma meant across the lines he want to avoid that, it's Ok.

Nevertheless it's hard to tell what he have in mind, I'm just guessing.

Top Bottom