• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Skyward Sword?

anastazius

Neo Member
I just remembered how much I loved rolling bombs. If this isn't back in Zelda U, I will be sorely disappointed.

Yes, rolling bombs was great. I keep thinking that people who say that the motion controls didn't work had a faulty motion plus. Or possibly just really really didn't get how to use them.

MarkusRJR

I loved the visuals, story, cutscenes, and overall atmosphere of Skyward Sword.

What I didn't like were the horrendous pacing, required filler BS added to only lengthen the game (whilst boring the hell out of me), motion controls that would drift over time (they should have made the cursor IR based and not gyro), and the large, empty overworld.

I honestly feel like Zelda has gotten worse. I started off 3D Zelda's with WW (then going by release date after that). I just recently got around to playing OoT, after the 3DS remake. The difference is shocking. So much better pacing, a smaller more compact overworld, and so much less filler content required to play. Once I realized how much better the pacing was, I just felt really bad for the way the series had progressed. It could be much more faster paced and interesting, but instead we have Nomura and Miyomoto now gloating over overworld size and length of game (no doubt caused by filler and bad pacing). I have so much little hope for the new upcoming Zelda.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've played it up to the second big boss (that flaming ball thing), and god damn is it poorly paced. So many mundane conversations about pointless things that you can't skip past. I don't know if it's worth the 20+ more hours to go through it all. The controls and camera add nothing for me and just serve as an annoyance.

Jamix012

It's my 2nd or 3rd favourite personally.
It has the 2nd best town and sidequests. The Wii mote swordplay is godlike. The art style was amazing IMO and really hid the drawbacks of the Wii. The story is interesting and the characters are fleshed out really well and genuinely lovable. Not to mention it has some of the best dungeons and bosses in the series.

It has flaws, for sure and I completely agree the tadpole section was stupid, but I loved the game in spite of its few (IMO) flaws.

Kamek

Never had a problem with the controls, or Fi. What I DID feel cheated with, was the padding and "backtracking". I thought that the backtracking would feel fulfilling, but it was hollow, empty, and seemed like a lazy way to increase time. ALSO, I spend hours trying to get the
Hylian Sheild
used it ONCE, and then I didn't realize New Game+ erased OVER my file (I think) so I NEVER got to try it out and play with it.

LeleSocho

Banned
Fi and the incredibly empty sky, people complained about the emptiness of the Great Sea but Skyward Sword wishes it had WW's overworld.

Juice

Oh man, I only made it halfway through the first dungeon, but it's hard to understate how bad my experience with this game was.

* An even denser, dumber tutorial as the one seen in the previous three or four 3D zelda games, which moved at a glacial pace and did almost nothing to draw me into the story
* The same immediately annoying side-kick full of useless exposition and chattering in some kind of fake generated voice acting
* Motion controls were shoddy as hell if there was so much as a whiff of sunlight in the room.
* Bland art direction that didn't know if it wanted to be Ocarina or Wind Waker
* Overwhelming sense of sameness. Felt so phoned-in as if it's good enough for Nintendo to just keep rebuilding the same game over and over again in slightly different engines and environments.

roytheone

What I always loved about the Zelda games was running around in the world and finding hidden shit. Skyward sword had almost nothing like that. The sky with it's floating islands was a terrible overworld. There was almost nothing to do and nothing to find. It was still a pretty good game, but the weakest 3D Zelda game by far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The controls were great IMO. My main issue with the game was the disconnected world made up of smallish, self-contained areas. There was basically no exploration to be had in this game whatsoever, it was all dungeons and pre-dungeons (except for the sky, but that was mostly empty outside Skyloft). Still enjoyed the game, but I'm really excited that they seem to be fixing this issue (and then some) in Zelda U.

RedSwirl

The only problems I ever had with Skyward Sword were:

1) Repeating item messages.

2) The sky world didn't have enough locations.

...that's pretty much it. I didn't even mind the musical note swilling section.

Tuck

Fi was bad, and some of the later filler was obnoxious. And the fact that the game tells you what item you pick up every time you do so.

The desert area was incredible and the desert area was great. A tad linear, but some of the best level design in the series. The areas outside the dungeons were super dense and full of puzzles.

MilesTeg

Banned
Never had a problem with the controls, or Fi. What I DID feel cheated with, was the padding and "backtracking". I thought that the backtracking would feel fulfilling, but it was hollow, empty, and seemed like a lazy way to increase time. ALSO, I spend hours trying to get the
Hylian Sheild
used it ONCE, and then I didn't realize New Game+ erased OVER my file (I think) so I NEVER got to try it out and play with it.

Completely agree with the backtracking. Initially I loved the game. But as time wore on, the backtracking and collectithons wore me thin. Eventually I was like "you gotta be kidding me" when I reached yet another "go to these three places you have already been and get these things" segment.

I also felt the game was too much like a traditional JRPG with the story segments and cut scenes.

The Boat

Most of the complaints I see are rooted in some primal hate for things like collecting and motion controls.The tadtones for example were a great opportunity to explore the Faron Woods in a completely different way, taking a forest, flooding it and having you swim through it was a great idea in my opinion.

I don't see what's the problem with the swimming controls, hell I even think they work better this way, it's super easy and painless to navigate through water, its the same as flying without the flapping.

Honestly the only significant problem I have with the game is the excessive handholding, it takes away some sense of discovery, although it's not a big deal as most people make it out to be as Fi is mostly silent during the dungeons, she usually only gives out advice at the begging of the areas or when you just got an item.

The problem is that there should be an option to turn off these warnings, which would make sense considering you can call her any time and configure the HUD.
The item messages are annoying too of course and the parts where you need to get the windmill thingies shouldn't be there, short as they might be.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The controls are terrible, inaccurate and sluggish, Twilight Princess Wii controls better, and Wii Sports Resort controls better too (to give a Wiimote+ example).

Worst world, worst overworld by far, horrible reuse of areas, horrible reuse of enemies as a whole, dodgy sword combat, annoying Fi, handholding like you wouldn't believe, the tadpoles, the stamina meter, the dowsing

Redeeming traits: item upgrades (needs to be improved though), the Silent Realm parts, quick select menu, and the sand sea

Overall it was bunk

Painguy

I think SS is like the only Zelda game I don't like. The game was very linear imo. It lacked that mysterious feel and had very little exploration. I only liked the lanyru desert.

Shit pacing that was soul sucking. Never bothered to finish it. Felt worn out.

Also having to constantly hold the controller straight up in the air to re-sync the motions was a right pain. Seemed to happen way to often.

I've heard this a lot about having to re-sync constantly and that must have sucked something fierce.

I loved Skyward Sword, and I didn't have that problem at all. I don't think I ever had to re-sync once.

But the only parts that I didn't like was the parts where you had to collect tears in the silent realm. Those parts were very frustrating to me.

Otherwise the story was great, it had my favorite Zelda, and the final fight was fantastic. Fi was annoying, but I could look past that.

It's easily one of the better 3D zeldas. Dungeons were great, plot was good, combat was fun, if easy. Endless tutorials sucked, but we probably needed more given how many people are awful and can't work the controls right.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The late game pacing and overall linearity were the only real problems. The controls were great, I never had a single problem with them. Don't waggle, make methodical strikes.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I want to play it but I physically can't :( Motion controls make it so I can't play a game and something like a mainline zelda game that's really shitty :(

Voliko

I think it's biggest problem is that it's just too easy. It has the best combat in any Zelda game because of the motion controls, and the world design is great, with a lot to do(aside from the terrible sky).

Jaagen

It looks good, plays good and Skyloft is an interesting concept.

However, the game starts off way to slowly and at some points it feels like a repetitive chore(like the silent realm and the fight against "The Imprisoned") There's also way too much talking.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fi was bad, and some of the later filler was obnoxious. And the fact that the game tells you what item you pick up every time you do so.

The desert area was incredible and the desert area was great. A tad linear, but some of the best level design in the series. The areas outside the dungeons were super dense and full of puzzles.

Yeah, too dense, too full of puzzles, with no open areas for you to just explore. I like dungeons and puzzles, and I like them moving some of that stuff outside the actual dungeons, but I don't want that ALL THE TIME. Give me a breather, give me some travel time between dungeons during which I can just explore a bit. This game lacks that, and the empty sky overworld doesn't make up for it.

I enjoyed the game but the sky and Fi and that fucking Imprisoned boss fight really bring it down. The controls are great though and I'm surprised when people complain about them.

Espada

I liked the game, but goddamn are there some things they got wrong with Skyward Sword:

The game seems to assume the average Legend of Zelda fan has the intelligence and memory of a gnat. This leads to things like Fi being an irritating nanny that states the obvious (and when you need help, she's worthless), items displaying their entire description each time you load up your file, etc...

The fact that everything had to be a motion gimmick. Why not just fly through the sky normally? Or swim normally? I enjoyed the motion based combat, but somethings just don't need to be reinvented.

Filler. The game is padded to the gills with filler. Maybe they were trying to avoid another WW situation where the game is too short, leading to the infamous Triforce quest. Now instead of one big piece of filler towards the end, you have a bunch of it padding most of the game. This screws with the game's pacing hard, and the game suffers because of it.

These are the ones I felt were the most damning.

tesla246

Skyward Sword fell flat on its face on everything that matters to a Zelda, except for dungeons, which where mostly good.
-NPC were few in numbers and not that interesting. The relationship between zelda and Link was refreshing at the start, but lost value rather quickly after it became the standard ''save the princess''.
-Dungeons were OK: timeshift stones where amazing, to be fair. But the starting dungeon, which was literally 4 rooms if i remember correctly was disappointing to say the least.
-The overworld was barren and the items rarely had any use outside of dungeons.
-Controls to me where awful: it lead to a recycle of enemies and even bosses required very basic strategy, which almost always came down to swing patterns. Zelda could learn a thing or 2 from the metroid prime series. It also didnt help that some bosses where recycled
-Lack of Towns. there only was 1. It kind of took a central meaning in the game, as did Majoras mask, but the remaining areas where completely void of any meaningful interaction, whereas Majoras Mask was amazing with lots of secrets and interesting NPC outside of it ''main city''. The upgrade system was nice, but not really needed with the difficulty.
-Difficulty. Nintendos focus on making games acceptable for wide audiences comes at a cost of challenge, and its ironically hurting the Zelda series more than Mario; Bosses and puzzles are way way WAY too easy, hearts are given almost everywhere when not at full health, AI of enemies takes a defensive ''wait and defend/stay back'': just filling time, instead of being aggressive and challenging approach and are generally defeated with 3 sword strikes MAX. The combat is also a step back from TP; the 7 hidden sword techniques are absent from this game and although they weren't really necessary because of easy enemies, that's a different subject entirely. They are absent in Skyward Sword.
-Sidekick with fii was kind of original at first, but quickly became cumbersome with all the tips, talking and hand-holding to the max. The worst sidekick out of the franchise imo. Also dowsing was awful and the constant popup of ''you picked up item X'' and explaining what it does was fucking annoying. Remember the ''you picked up 5 rupees'' message from Twilight princess? This takes it to a whole other level, which is saying something!
-Music was lacking. Now don't understand me wrong: the use of orchestral tunes where awesome and there where some nice tunes. However most tunes, although orchestrated, where lacking melody-wise: they didn't have any catchy direction, ''they where just there'' if that makes sense. Oh yeah, no title screen music...a serious disappointment when I first played the game.
-Tedious filler such as searching for tadstones in the dark with a timer and guards was worse than searching for tears of light in TP, and the boring sections of land which you have to travel before reaching a dungeon which you onl travel once, dont hold any interesting secrets and where void of any interactivity of NPC...only to be filled with tedious fetchqeusts; The reminded me a lot of phantom hourglass's areas before you enter a dungeon. Not exactly e compliment.

My god, I thought I'd name a few negatives and honestly state my opinion, but I cant stop with naming things I didn't like. And you may think I'm just a hater: nothing could be further from the truth: I listened to Skywards sword main theme months before release and was hyped as fuck. Bought the special edition with gold wiimote day 1, and couldn't help but notice all the negatives.
I guess my main gripe with Skyward Sword is that not only they didn't address the issues found in previous installments (Difficulty, lack of NPC, few towns, barren overworlds, filler fetchquests, etc.), but those issues are even more apparent than ever before. Zelda just doesn't get a free pass anymore, just because it is Zelda. Nintendo needs to know there is more to zelda than just dungeons, look at Majoras Mask and evolve the formula from there.

Jackano

You're right on shedule for that section of the Zelda cycle, OP.

The only major con I have against the game is that the overworld-puzzle thing hasn't been done correctly. You don't get any true exploration, you only get dungeons. Skyloft is also ridiculously small, empty, and disconnected to the rest of the world.
Also the silent realm are stressful and not fun at all. And there are 4 of them! Awful.

But the game could really shine if it gets the TWWHD treatment.

Nimajneb

The biggest problem with the game was the recycled areas. They were fun the first time, kind of like an extension of the dungeon itself. But then for the next set of dungeons rather than having new levels, they just throw you back in the old ones and make you collect shit before you can access the dungeon. The whole triforce quest was beyond awful, so much low quality filler content before you can progress.

Seriously. I had a conversation with a professed Nintendo fanboy about the game the other day and when I said that the controls were terrible, he said, "Nuh uh! You just suck at using the Wiimote!" I then asked a few people around the room what their number one beef with the game was. Answer? The controls.

Case closed!

Sami+

Combat was horrendous. Shallow to the point of boredom. 90% of it was comprised of slicing in a direction that the enemy wasn't blocking.

The tone was inconsistent. It advertised itself as a grand, epic origin story, and yet it had a cheerful and cartoony art style that was very hard to take seriously. Trying to pass off designs like Tentalus and Imprisoned as scary is borderline insulting. Wind Waker never did this, and presented itself much more competently from beginning to end.

Presentation is seriously outdated and there's no excuse for it anymore. Major cutscenes are now fully scripted, with music that matches the visuals and auto-scrolling text boxes... and yet they still didn't bother with voice acting? Seriously? It's reached the point of ridiculousness - I'm sorry, but your story will suffer when you're covering half the fucking screen in dialogue boxes. Come on.

World design was incredible poor compared to past games. The entire world feels unreal and manufactured, like a giant dungeon.

Fi.

Tutorials.

BlitzKeeg

I've been watching my girlfriend play through SS for the first time after playing it since release, and I think the main reason I'm disappointed by it is because it's soooooo close to being a great game. It's stupid garbage like Fi holding your hand all the time, the incredibly simple puzzle design, the motion controls ruining the complexity of combat by turning it into simon says, and the ridiculous amount of backtracking that really drag it down, making it nearly unplayable at points. The timeshift stones in the desert dungeons, item upgrades, and Groose are gatdamn fantastic.
It just seems like all of the main problems with the game were ones that could have been solved if the developers played the damn game themselves and realized how often the game just wants to explain shit and play for you instead of letting you play the video game.

That being said I really hope most of the good concepts like bomb rolling and item upgrades get carried over to Zelda U.

Zalman

The hand holding, but that's it. Controls were awesome. The world was awesome. Some of the best characters in the series are here too. The relationship between Link and Zelda is great. Genius level design (particularly when they use the time stones). Overall it was a very memorable experience for me.

- None of the "surface world" areas were connected. Having to go back up into the sky and manually fly everywhere was more tedious than changing the wind's direction every time you wanted to sail in WW.

- Boring, cramped, mostly lifeless Sky overworld.

- Fi is the worst partner "character" Link has ever had to put up with. She's also the most talkative, with nothing worthwhile to say that the game itself didn't already show/tell you 4-5 seconds earlier. Utterly devoid of personality -- which might have been meant as part of some kind of character arc that Nintendo forgot about up until the ending. Really wasted potential there.

- Ghirahim is a terrible villain. He's definitely one of the most memorable characters in the franchise, but also one of its least threatening antagonists. I never once got the sense that this guy was supposed to be an actual threat -- all his put downs for Link might as well be fired right back at him. It was like having Zant minus his Super Ganondorf powers as the villain for an entire game.

+ Groose.

BritneySpears

Neo Member
Totally agree with you Afrocious, SS is definitely one of the worst Zelda games I have played.
The controls certainly didn't help them game either, in fact I think they hindered the game play.

Let's see: excessive handholding, world with tunnel-like design, Fi, the controls were clearly not as intuitive as first thought if so many people had trouble with them, filler, the Harp, the Whip being only another type of Key, complete abandoning of story about halfway through, dowsing, underutilized upgrade system, repetition of messages for collecting small items, lack of cohesive overworld, barren Sky, having to go through the most boring dungeon a second time, The Imprisoned, "puzzle combat" instead of fast-paced sword-fighting, using motion controls for every little thing (opening boss doors? really?), and lack of incentive or in some cases the ability to actually do some exploration.

At least it gave us Ancient Cistern...

I really liked the game, but there were a few small things that annoyed me. Fi in general I didn't like very much, and the game giving me a full description of what item I picked up every time I loaded the file was irritating as hell. Those things were pretty easy to overlook though.

Seriously. I had a conversation with a professed Nintendo fanboy about the game the other day and when I said that the controls were terrible, he said, "Nuh uh! You just suck at using the Wiimote!" I then asked a few people around the room what their number one beef with the game was. Answer? The controls.

Sounds like you and all your friends suck at games.

"Really? All of us?" Yeah.

Espada

Can I ask a question? When people are talking about shallow combat, is this relative to other Legend of Zelda titles or adventure games as a whole? Because the series has never been what I'd call complex. I've always felt it was an afterthought, a small hurdle you overcame in order to enjoy the world and charming characters presented to you.

Caelus

Harp was shit, handholding complaints are hyperbole, Fi was meant to be funny in a dull robot way and people hated that, I doubt people's criticism of the controls.

Otherwise, improved upon base Zelda gameplay in many ways that people seem to overlook. Seamless item switching in a console Zelda, finally get to play w/o a shield without having to break it, upgrade system (albeit rudimentary), sprinting and mini-parkour that made it more fast-paced and fun, the freaking adventure pouch (I think I'm the only one who found that it offered more creative ways to play).

Controls, and not just in terms of the wiimote, made for a much more fresh experience, it isn't that different from past Zeldas but there's certain aspects of its design philosophy I sincerely hope they keep (adventure pouuuuch).

BlitzKeeg

My god, I thought I'd name a few negatives and honestly state my opinion, but I can't stop with naming things I didn't like. And you may think I'm just a hater: nothing could be further from the truth: I listened to Skywards sword main theme months before release and was hyped as fuck. Bought the special edition with gold wiimote day 1, and couldn't help but notice all the negatives.
I guess my main gripe with Skyward Sword is that not only they didn't address the issues found in previous installments (Difficulty, lack of NPC, few towns, barren overworlds, filler fetchquests, etc.), but those issues are even more apparent than ever before. Zelda just doesn't get a free pass anymore, just because it is Zelda. Nintendo needs to know there is more to zelda than just dungeons, look at Majoras Mask and evolve the formula from there.

I was right there on the hype train with you. I finished it within a matter of days after release and then just felt empty inside.

Servbot24

Banned
Level design and pacing were both terrible. I quit halfway through and I don't know if I can bear to replay all of it at this point, so I'll probably never finish it.

I liked the controls though, for the most part.

Top Bottom