• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: Meet the Female Gamer Born of Anti-Feminist Internet Drama

jwhit28

This is the most deliciously complex thing to happen on the internet in awhile.

Is it really that complex? It seems like they are just trying to show they hate an individual and not a whole cause. That hate has just gotten to the point that they would help the cause just to show how much they hate the individual.

Averon

Who gives a shit about why /v/ donated. They contributed to a good cause and help create a great female design. Being bitter about it and trying to twist this into something it ain't is pathetic.

This reminds me about that get well card /v/ made for Iwata. A lot of biter feeling about it (some even on GAF).

Getting mad that /v/ isn't the asshole, trolling, anti-woman board 24/7 is sad to see from supposedly more 'open-minded' individuals.

Griss

As usual, every party involved paints their own version of the story and people are quick to jump fully on board one or the other according to their preconceptions. Even reading all of the material here (including Quinn's accusations towards FYC), I can't really say what out of all of this is true and what isn't (4chan's posts regarding the matter leave little doubt, however, as to what their intentions are and how much they care about feminism, though). Also that character design is playing to the stereotype that female gamers (sorry, "true" female gamers) are perpetually grumpy.

I have nothing against the dark cesspool of villainy that 4chan is and loves to be, but it will be a good day when people stop taking 4chan seriously and especially stop giving them coverage.

Wouldn't "thousands of thousands" be "millions"? Sorry, I found that phrase funny.

It's doing nothing of the sort. The one thing /v/ is famous for is fucking HATING video games. That's /v/. Hatred of games and rage. That was their original mascot, a guy so angry that he was on fire. That was about a decade ago, if I remember correctly. Vivian's grumpy expression is meant to represent /v/, and thus is actually a reflection on male gamers, not female ones. Vivian is simply a bunch of males creating a female persona of themselves, rather than imagining an actual female character with her own personality.

Also, absolutely no one takes 4chan seriously and they rarely get media coverage for anything. That's as it should be.

rdrr gnr

All this confusion about /v/'s actions over the past week or so just makes me think about how right moot (4chan owner) was 11 years ago. People care about who says something far more than they care about what is said.
And, most importantly, who it is said to. If you're criticizing someone, just figure out whatever label for that someone garners the most sympathy while simultaneously painting the dissenters as only capable of mustering ignorance or hate. And if someone disagrees, it's not because they have reached their own conclusions, it's because they are rotten people. Remember the only valid position is your position.

It's doing nothing of the sort. The one thing /v/ is famous for is fucking HATING video games. That's /v/. Hatred of games and rage. That was their original mascot, a guy so angry that he was on fire. That was about a decade ago, if I remember correctly. Vivian's grumpy expression is meant to represent /v/, and thus is actually a reflection on male gamers, not female ones. Vivian is simply a bunch of males creating a female persona of themselves, rather than imagining an actual female character with her own personality.

Also, absolutely no one takes 4chan seriously and they rarely get media coverage for anything. That's as it should be.

So all female gamers are vibrant, cheerful people with always a smile in their faces?

So your answer to this is a typical 100% sexist stereotype?

pqlT0ei.gif

6d9.png

Lmao, the Vivian James art is gold.

You do realize that that's not painting 4chan in a positive light, right? Calling someone a "trap" is horribly transphobic.
But see that's the thing. They don't think that and don't care if other people do. For /v/ and heck /a/ for that matter 'trap' has been an acceptable term for a character who appears one to be one gender but is actually another. They don't view the word 'trap' as an offensive word and view it as another thing SJW want to complain about. You should have seen how much they supported XSEED when that blew up. Not to mention they don't actually care people view the word negatively, I mean these are the same people that use racial and sexual orientation slurs as part of normal conversation there.

I wasn't going to post that for fear of it being considered off topic, but I feel it actually is quite on topic all things considered because it relates right to the subject at hand.

I think this might be a good example of the difference:

Equality person 4chan might be okay with:
"There could be more female protagonists in video games." (Clearly likes said video game, appears knowledge about video games.)

SJW 4chan seems to dislike:
"You shouldn't refer to cross-dressers as 'traps' in video games!" (Person has never played said game and never would have.)

I think part of it too comes from how knowledgable they preceive that person to be as well.

The word "SJW" has become more of a term for "overly zealous person that actually wants control, not equality" or "overreacts and hates something fairly innocent never intended to be offensive". Some SJWs(especially in the deep corners of tumblr) have gotten to the point that you're oppressing them for being white and/or male and just exist

Not saying that applies to everyone who considers themself a SJW, but it explains why some say "SJW" something negative
That may be what you consider the definition to be (over zealous extremist) but that's certainly not how it's used commonly. Threads here on more representation, more diversity in developers, or even just covering criticism of games and their handling of diversity has gotten a number of people to start using that term about people discussing those issues. Unless either of you consider wanting more representation an extremist vote, and clearly by your first example SliceSabre you do not, then I can tell you that is not how people are using it. It's a derisive term meant to dismiss anyone who talks about these issues or expresses a desire to change the status quo.

I put them in quotes for obvious reasons. "Equality" would be, as most people are, open to more women in powerful, well written positions in games. "SJW Equality" would equate to said women in games going around intentionally sexualising and/or demeaning men as some sort of way to "get back" at games that do that to women.
Then why do I see that term used in relation to any topics about diversity, including your example, wanting more women in games? I've never seen your second example because it is so fringe to the majority of what those discussing equality and diversity in gaming that I can honestly say I've never seen it, though it probably exists. I mean, if 4chan or anyone else is totally fine with equality then why is it anyone who supports equality or diversity or talks about it gets branded with the SJW bullshit? Have you seen that list of developers to boycott because they are "SJWs"? Unless you think Double Fine is some group of extremists who demean men, then you should realize that the term as is doors not mean what you think it means. It's bullshit slung to anyone who talks about these issues.

Mooreberg

I'm just glad they're getting funding. It was pretty horrible the way zoe quinn railroaded these people.
When this first started blowing up, I thought they were just another Boston area indie/startup that managed to piss somebody off. When I read about who they are and what they are attempting to do, I was doubly alarmed at how they got screwed.

It isn't just women trying to do something, but women from a country that you hear next to nothing about in regards to the production of video games. If you've ever enjoyed games made in South America (Zeno Clash by ACE Team) or by people from there (Papo Y Yo by Minority) it is really crazy to think how somebody fighting for "representation" would screw those people over.

mkenyon

Banned
Is it really that complex? It seems like they are just trying to show they hate an individual and not a whole cause. That hate has just gotten to the point that they would help the cause just to show how much they hate the individual.
I personally despise the act of visiting people's intentions.

A forum is most certainly not a single mindset, which further makes this kind of generalization not only inductive, but almost certainly false. I'm sure there are some people who have done it for that reason. But boiling the whole thing down to this rather simple suggestion seems really disingenuous.

However, by complex, I mean from all sides, not just /v/.

Griss

So all female gamers are vibrant, cheerful people with always a smile in their faces?

So your answer to this is a typical 100% sexist stereotype?

What on earth are you talking about? Did you even comprehend one word of my post? Vivian is an image of /v/, a largely male board. She was designed to represent them. Her personality is therefore a male one, put into a female body for show. That is the point of Vivian. She is a board avatar. Therefore her personality does not reflect any assumptions about female gamers whatsoever, because she is one in image only.

I said absolutely nothing about female gamers. Nothing at all. So please elaborate as to what you think I may have said, or how I could have stereotyped females when I said nothing about them.

What on earth are you talking about? Did you even comprehend one word of my post? Vivian is an image of /v/, a largely male board. She was designed to represent them. Her personality is therefore a male one, put into a female body for show. That is the point of Vivian. She is a board avatar. Therefore her personality does not reflect any assumptions about female gamers whatsoever, because she is one in image only.

I said absolutely nothing about female gamers. Nothing at all. So please elaborate as to what you think I may have said, or how I could have stereotyped females when I said nothing about them.

Not all female gamers has the same predefined personality you may have in your mind, there's probably a lot of female gamers, who are also on /v/, that really are that way or have the same personality, therefore is a faithful represensation of a part of the female gaming community. If you can't see what's wrong with your statements, I can do nothing.

Branduil

So some people decided to "troll" by doing something nice? I'm having a hard time getting upset about that.

Yes, you definitely will hear calls for people to repudiate endorsements or reject donations from, say, white supremacists. (Not to compare these guys to white supremacists, just to show that this exists.)

In this comparison, wouldn't it be like white supremacists donating to a black college? I wonder if that's ever happened before.

JNA

Banned
4chan can be a kooky and terrible place but they have been known to do things out of the kindness of their hearts. 4chan and its boards are not some hivemind.

That and some of the members created Katawa Shoujo.

They will never be fully evil or vile just because of that. :D

marrec

Banned
So some people decided to "troll" by doing something nice? I'm having a hard time getting upset about that.

It's a spiteful campaign that will be used as a prop to point to in the future whenever /v/ or 4chan is rightfully identified as a place that breeds hate and sexism. They (they being the spiteful few who organized this campaign) will try to use this to gag people like Anita and Zoe and it will be successful in some corners of the internet.

All the while "they" will continue to spew disgusting bile about whatever SJW they decide to imagine themselves hate-fucking this week.

In this comparison, wouldn't it be like white supremacists donating to a black college? I wonder if that's ever happened before.

Donald Sterling donated to the NAACP:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...turning-all-donations-made-by-clippers-owner/

AlucardGV

Banned
You do realize that that's not painting 4chan in a positive light, right? Calling someone a "trap" is horribly transphobic.

trap is not even related to transgender people honestly, and that's pretty much how 4chan is anyway. everyone get offended there, but nobody really cares. even in /LGBT/ you can find tons of topics of trans people who use the T word (not traps).

LordJim

It's a spiteful campaign that will be used as a prop to point to in the future whenever /v/ or 4chan is rightfully identified as a place that breeds hate and sexism. They (they being the spiteful few who organized this campaign) will try to use this to gag people like Anita and Zoe and it will be successful in some corners of the internet.

All the while "they" will continue to spew disgusting bile about whatever SJW they decide to imagine themselves hate-fucking this week.

The lengths these anonymous people from a board with over a hundred thousand unique posters per day have gone to so they could not be held accountable for possibly spreading mean words in the web astound me.

Jamix012

Then why do I see that term used in relation to any topics about diversity, including your example, wanting more women in games? I've never seen your second example because it is so fringe to the majority of what those discussing equality and diversity in gaming that I can honestly say I've never seen it, though it probably exists. I mean, if 4chan or anyone else is totally fine with equality then why is it anyone who supports equality or diversity or talks about it gets branded with the SJW bullshit? Have you seen that list of developers to boycott because they are "SJWs"? Unless you think Double Fine is some group of extremists who demean men, then you should realize that the term as is doors not mean what you think it means. It's bullshit slung to anyone who talks about these issues.

You're talking to me as if it's something I believe in and what my definition is. It's not, but I know people who do and was just expressing my interpretation of what those people percieve to be the difference. I'm sorry you didn't pick up on that, I was going to add a note at the end of my comment saying as much, but I was rushing out of class at the time. I have no real strong thoughts one way or the other, so please don't try to pick a fight with me for trying to explain other people's perspectives. I'm not going to defend 4chan either, because I've never had, or wanted to have, anything to do with the place.

Often, you're right, people use it as a ridiculous defense mechanism to try and reduce people fighting for a cause and trivialise their actions. Conversely though, I have seen such "SJWs" (and for what it's worth I don't see this as a negative term as I know plenty of people who use it to describe themselves) act like complete shitheads most recently with Jontron. There are good people out there fighting good causes and they're definitely the majority, but don't trivialize the abuse a sub sect of "SJWs" hurl out.

marrec

Banned
Well known Rich guy who's in trouble donates cash = random anonymous people donate cash ?

Your false descriptions of both situations are cute but I'll correct you:

Donald Sterling had publicly donated millions to black progressive organizations while secretly being a disgusting racist piece of shit = /v/ (some good, most bad) donating some money to TFYC while (most) publicly being disgusting sexist pieces of shit... but anonymously.

inkls

It's not a charity, it's an IndieGoGo project.

Yes, but isn't part of the money 98% made from the games funded this way going to a charity? Or did I missunderstand?

Yes, you definitely will hear calls for people to repudiate endorsements or reject donations from, say, white supremacists. (Not to compare these guys to white supremacists, just to show that this exists.)

I still think its ridiculous to reject the money. The only reason this is bad currently is that the fuss created around the 4chan donations is now giving 4chan the spotlight and potentially make people think its a 4chan event instead of the original intent.

If its not political and nothing is owned/given back to the donators why even be angry? If money is controversial at least just donate it to charity.

I don't see how the character created is offensive, but I might be missing something.

Blackage

So did Quinn really sabotage an event? I can't even tell which accusations are baseless or which have actual merit.

Keep in mind that even if it were true, it does not even remotely justify the behavior of people on the internet.

Yeah she kinda screwed them over, she doesn't come off as a particularly good person after the dust settled, again, not that this justifies the internet hate train of death threats etc.

The main crux of the controversy was that she was so well connected that she got silence from every major gaming site/reddit, etc and promotion for her game, which was know wasn't true(Or if there was any aspect of it that was true it's been lost in the sea of rah rah drama).

Donald Sterling had publicly donated millions to black progressive organizations while secretly being a disgusting racist piece of shit = /v/ (some good, most bad) donating some money to TFYC while (most) publicly being disgusting sexist pieces of shit... but anonymously.

Even if you claim than most are "bad" without any real evidence, to support your worthless comparisson, is not enough. The actions of an individual or organizations with a very clear agenda is not the same as a whole community formed by a great amount of individuals with very different opinions and beliefs.

The fact the /v/ has a (considerable) subcommunity of radical mysoginists is no reason enough to paint the whole community as that or that their actions follows some major plan in which every donation is involved on it, the fact the character is evolving into something that group is not very happy about shows that. Actually this is an opportunity for other voices of /v/ to be heard, so they can stop a subgroup of people to be the only voice that matters.

Branduil

Donald Sterling donated to the NAACP:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...turning-all-donations-made-by-clippers-owner/

Well, no one was fooled by Donald Sterling's donations, so I don't think donations are actually a very good cover tactic. The NAACP is a prestigious and well-funded organization that can afford to give back donations, TFYC are a small indiegogo campaign that needs all the money it can get. I don't think it would be right to shame them for accepting money that will allow them to achieve their goals if the end result is the same as if they were funded by a group with pure intentions.

marrec

Banned
Well, no one was fooled by Donald Sterling's donations, so I don't think donations are actually a very good cover tactic. The NAACP is a prestigious and well-funded organization that can afford to give back donations, TFYC are a small indiegogo campaign that needs all the money it can get. I don't think it would be right to shame them for accepting money that will allow them to achieve their goals if the end result is the same as if they were funded by a group with pure intentions.

I agree with that. TFYC likely don't know or care about internal /v/ political upheavals and they shouldn't be expected to police donations with a campaign and organization so small.

But we should recognize this campaign for what it is.

Dio

Banned
The fact the /v/ has a (considerable) subcommunity of radical mysoginists is no reason enough to paint the whole community as that or that their actions follows some major plan in which every donation is involved on it, the fact the character is evolving into something that group is not very happy about shows that.

I'd say that people talking about 4chan like this take a look at NeoGAF and ask themselves if they believe what other people say about this site, that this place is a Sony fanboy hellhole where you can't discuss anything not Sony related without someone shitting on you or banning you for it.

PBalfredo

I'm not sure I'm 100% following what 4chan thinks is their master plan, other than being able to say they're not totally vile because they drummed up support for FYC. They say they despise SJW for claiming to be about equality by secretly being in it for the attention. So in response they... do exactly that? And they're blatantly obvious about it too; we got screencaps of them stating their true, disingenuous motives and everything. How does this plan expose the alleged hypocrisy of SJW in any way other than them pointing to their own faux-feminist project and saying "See this? This is you!", which by definition exposes themselves as disingenuous, if not fully hypocritical? The more I think about this the more it seems like the real troll is one element of 4chan (/pol/?) fooling misogyny-4chan into doing something productive with reverse psychology.

sure are some assumptions around here

kyoakuma

Banned
/v/ doesn't actively do anything to harm women, do they? They're just angry loners that hate everything and themselves most of all. Remember: /v/ hates video games. /v/ looks for any excuse to hate something. Them doing something good is insane, they'd probably think this was a scam.

/co/ is fine.

/a/ is is /a/ super elitist and hostile

/b/ is a horrifying cesspool of stupid.

let's not even talk about /pol/

the only time iv seen /v/ do anything is recently with "vivian"

/v/ is generally a "your game is shit" "no its not" or "your system is shit" "no yours is" or "pc mustard race lel consoles"

But the recent event has had /v/ stop as a whole and look at the greater threat to video games

"SJW "feminist" extremists with nothing better to do with opinion pieces that is pure click bait to cause a stir.

in their minds, Its almost as if female equality has been achieved in the real world and now its time to take over the virtual.

Video games is where its at right now, people like anita would be a virtual NOBODY if she tried to take to the real world issues rather than video games.

I think its a totally different situation when you compare a single person to a group of people. There are some really shitty people who post here on gaf too, and they get dealt with most of the time. Its entirely possible that there is a contingent on /v/ who really do believe in what they donated to.

/v/ is a filthy graffiti wall where many mischievous and nefarious neckbeards, legbeards, and underage kids gather. However, it's possible for even /v/ to collectively do something good, even with motivations to troll or cause discord. Donating to a good cause to rustle some jimmies is still a net gain and not a loss.

CCore

Neo Member
Hoo boy. I hate coming out of lurking but some of these comments, while you are free to make them, are honestly embarrassing and frustrating.

I am a regular browser of 4chan. I frequent multiple boards, /v/ included. I am also a woman. While I can't speak for /v/ as a whole, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

/v/ never needed to "make" a woman to agree with their message. We're out there. The shouting has just gotten so loud that we are being ignored and dismissed too. Please consider that before you contribute to this toxic "us vs. them" behavior.

When journalists, bloggers, or otherwise try to paint broad strokes over /v/ and gamers as a whole, it's very disappointing. What's going on right here and right now is hurting everyone in the industry, and not just the "enemy". We shouldn't be censoring opinions, namecalling, turning people who love games against each other; we should be having discussion. On a whole, this wedge being driven into the industry is more damaging than it is helpful. You will change a lot of hearts and minds with discussion over accusation.

When 4chan chose to support TFYC, Mattie~senpai held a very long Q&A on Twitch. He shared his views as a feminist, the situation at hand, how he felt being supported by 4chan. While some anons didn't agree with him, there were also quite a few that acknowledged that maybe some of what he was saying wasn't so bad. Over the past week, I've seen a lot of anons saying that they don't care who makes a good game, or who or what was the main protagonist of a good game is. They just want more good games.

For the sake of this campaign, some anons have accepted that their once venomous, scary, secret club might be changed forever. That's really something.

For those who are unaware:

It was found that TFYC's IDGG was killed in the cradle with misinformation and the clever use of a twitter following.
Note: One of the five women will have her game design developed by Autobotika, and the art, rights, and 8% of the funds go to her. The rest goes to charity. Because /v/ was their sole supporter at one point, they were given the choice of where the money would go. /v/ screamed at each other for a while then chose to "chemo butthurt," I'm not sure what's going on with the shirt's charity situation. Probably more screaming.
A lot of anons were really skeptical about donating at first. After hearing that the head of TFYC was doxxed, the site was knocked offline by the sheer influx of people who went to their site, and they lost all contact with game journalists after one person with a large following denounced it, there was a lot of agreement that they were dealt a crap hand. The donation flood began in spite of some dissenters, we've been spreading the word about it as much as possible, and we are going in deep 'til the end. Honestly, a lot of /v/ really wants Ghost Empire. I do too. It looks really cute.

Since /v/ has chosen to support it, the TFYC IDGG has been hijacked and taken down twice. This has been ignored by almost everyone outside of /v/ and TFYC. /v/ has reported many of these death threats and hackings/crackings to the proper authorities. As a whole, /v/ don't know who's doing it either, and doesn't want anyone undermining the message.

By the way, Vivian is grumpy because she doesn't get enough sleep. She doesn't get enough sleep because she plays games all the time. Please don't look into it so hard, I personally don't think /v/ as a collective group can into character design that well..

Hoo boy. I hate coming out of lurking but some of these comments, while you are free to make them, are honestly embarrassing and frustrating.

I am a regular browser of 4chan. I frequent multiple boards, /v/ included. I am also a woman. While I can't speak for /v/ as a whole, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

/v/ never needed to "make" a woman to agree with their message. We're out there. The shouting has just gotten so loud that we are being ignored and dismissed too. Please consider that before you contribute to this toxic "us vs. them" behavior.

When journalists, bloggers, or otherwise try to paint broad strokes over /v/ and gamers as a whole, it's very disappointing. What's going on right here and right now is hurting everyone in the industry, and not just the "enemy". We shouldn't be censoring opinions, namecalling, turning people who love games against each other; we should be having discussion. On a whole, this wedge being driven into the industry is more damaging than it is helpful. You will change a lot of hearts and minds with discussion over accusation.

When 4chan chose to support TFYC, Mattie~senpai held a very long Q&A on Twitch. He shared his views as a feminist, the situation at hand, how he felt being supported by 4chan. While some anons didn't agree with him, there were also quite a few that acknowledged that maybe some of what he was saying wasn't so bad. Over the past week, I've seen a lot of anons saying that they don't care who makes a good game, or who or what was the main protagonist of a good game is. They just want more good games.

For the sake of this campaign, some anons have accepted that their once venomous, scary, secret club might be changed forever. That's really something.

It was found that TFYC's IDGG was killed in the cradle with misinformation and the clever use of a twitter following.
Note: One of the five women will have her game design developed by Autobotika, and the art, rights, and 8% of the funds go to her. The rest goes to charity. Because /v/ was their sole supporter at one point, they were given the choice of where the money would go. /v/ screamed at each other for a while then chose to "chemo butthurt," I'm not sure what's going on with the shirt's charity situation. Probably more screaming.

A lot of anons were really skeptical about donating at first. After hearing that the head of TFYC was doxxed, the site was knocked offline by the sheer influx of people who went to their site, and they lost all contact with game journalists after one person with a large following denounced it, there was a lot of agreement that they were dealt a crap hand. The donation flood began in spite of some dissenters, we've been spreading the word about it as much as possible, and we are going in deep 'til the end. Honestly, a lot of /v/ really wants Ghost Empire. I do too. It looks really cute.

Since /v/ has chosen to support it, the TFYC IDGG has been hijacked and taken down twice. This has been ignored by almost everyone outside of /v/ and TFYC. /v/ has reported many of these death threats and hackings/crackings to the proper authorities. As a whole, /v/ don't know who's doing it either, and doesn't want anyone undermining the message.

By the way, Vivian is grumpy because she doesn't get enough sleep. She doesn't get enough sleep because she plays games all the time. Please don't look into it so hard, I personally don't think /v/ as a collective group can into character design that well.
This is some serious stuff, but I can't stop laughing at the "chemo butthurt" part

At least the charity cause is a really valid one despite the pun

inkls

By the way, Vivian is grumpy because she doesn't get enough sleep. She doesn't get enough sleep because she plays games all the time. Please don't look into it so hard, I personally don't think /v/ as a collective group can into character design that well.

Hah, nice post overall. I just find the bolded pretty clever, I can see that being a common feature amongst many gamers.

Top Bottom