• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

official_ds_lite_header.jpg

The hype has reached a boiling point. Only one more day until we can officially get our hands on the uber-sexy, new and improved version of the Nintendo DS, appropriately named: DS Lite. AKA The Sun, wow that thing is bright.

img4405fac6d1e6d.jpg

Waiting in line, for the DS Lite. Sadly, most will walk away dissapointed.

Launch Date: March 2nd, 2006 for Crystal White. March 11th, 2006 for Enamel Navy, and Ice Blue.

Official Price: 16,800 yen ($140 USD)

Going Rate for Importers: $160 USD and rising...

Available Colors: The only color available on launch day is Crystal White, apparently Nintendo has had production problems resulting in quantity issues for the Enamel Navy, and Ice Blue colors. Crystal White will launch as scheduled on March 2nd, 2006, while the remaining two launch colors will be delayed a little over a week (9 Days), instead releasing on March 11th, 2006. You can read more about this slight delay, here, and here.

Size Means Everything: Indeed the DS Lite is a slim and trimmed version of the original DS. It's like Cool Whip Lite compared to Cool Whip...that is, except it's a lot cooler.
And most likely tastes better.

Original DS Dimensions: 148.7 mm wide by 84.7 mm tall by 28.99 mm thick
DS Lite Dimensions: 133 mm wide by 73.9 mm tall by 21.5 mm thick (42% smaller!)

The DS Lite also weighs a lot less at 218 grams (21% lighter!), compared to the Original DS weight of 275 grams.

Additional Aesthetics:

Stylus Size has also increased in a response to complaints that the original was ergonomically straining. The new stylus is an additional centimeter in length, and millimeter in diameter.

The D-pad has also reduced in size to accommodate the system's new slim and trim figure. The DS Lite features a D-pad that's similar to the Game Boy Micro pad.

While the face buttons (A,B,X,Y) share the same dimensions as those featured on the original DS, they do happen to be aligned slightly higher than they were on the original outing. This is presumably for ergonomic reasons. The buttons have also changed in color to whites & grays.

The microphone has thankfully moved to the center of the console, and the speakers are in a more centered position as well.

The remainder of the buttons, Select, Start, and Power have also been repositioned. Select and Start now appear beneath the face buttons, and the Power button appears on the right side of the console in a slide style, similar to that of the Playstation Portable.

Say goodbye to the thumb strap! As it's not included with the DS Lite... (You can buy one here though)

...but, the DS Lite does come with a GBA slot cover, which is useful for keeping dust out of your GBA cartridge slot. Hey, you win some you lose some I guess.

Built in software: It's the same stuff we've been using for the last year. All the languages are there, it's still region free, and Picto Chat is still useless since it still doesn't support infrastructure Wi-Fi.

A/C Adapter compatibility: For the millionth time, no. The DS Lite's A/C adapter is proprietary. That is, it won't work with any past or present Nintendo adapters. (Yes, that includes the Micro.)

Brightness: I've already mentioned it once, so I'm not going to do it again, but the DS Lite's screen is just as bright, if not brighter than you know who... It also happens to make the original DS screen look like mere child's play. In other words, if vehicle manufacturers ever mass market solar cars, I'm using my DS Lite to power mine.
The new unit features four levels of brightness, compared to the original's binary level of luminance. You know, on or off. Liksang has some really good comparison shots, so if you're not a believer, you soon shall be.
Brightness Level 1
Brightness Level 2
Brightness Level 3
The Sun

You can view the rest of Liksang's comparison shots, here.

Battery Life: This is always a huge deal when it comes to handheld platforms. Thankfully, Nintendo has once again scored big for gamers.

Lowest brightness setting: A whopping 15-19 hours
Highest brightness setting: A very respectable 5-8 hours

Wanna Pre Order?: If you didn't pre-order EARLY (meaning shortly after pre-orders were initially available) chances are your DS Lite won't be among the first shipment of units. If you absolutely must have one now and want a first shipment, you may be able to score one granted you agree to pay a premium price. So far that price is quoted at around $300 USD and rising...

Where to Pre-Order? As the popularity of gaming rises, the amount of import options continues to increase. Here's a few of the more popular options:

Liksang $169.00 USD
Crystal White
Enamel Navy
Ice Blue

Play-Asia $169.90 USD
Crystal White
Enamel Navy
Ice Blue

Yes Asia $199.00 USD w/free worldwide shipping.
Crystal White
Enamel Navy
Ice Blue

NCSX $169.00 USD (First shipment closed)
Crystal White
Enamel Navy
Ice Blue

Of course, there are also other ways to import a DS Lite. You may want to start here. Of course, having a friend that lives in Japan is always a great help, especially with low shipment numbers resulting in the inevitable price gouging. If you can go that route, your friend is dependable, and doesn't mind braving long lines, it is a recommended alternative.

Photos:

crystalwhite.jpg

Crystal White

iceblue.jpg

Ice Blue

navyenamel.jpg

Navy Enamel (or Black Enamel if you think blue looks like black)

More Photos:
Mmmmmmm.jpg

So Fresh and so clean, clean...

Screen so bright.jpg

The Black DS Lite.

Super Princess Peach.jpg

Damn, now I'm forced to buy Princess Peach

That is a sleek looking box.jpg

Continuing with the whole ipod look and feel

Touch.jpg

That's not one, but TWO extremely bright screens.

Links:
Official DS Lite Website
Liksang Hands-on

I myself have pre-ordered at two locations, Yes Asia, and NCSX. Here's hoping I can score from one of the two... I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high though. Quantities are extremely limited. I'll keep this thread updated as often as possible. Feel free to add your input, launch impressions, and of course plenty of photos!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
YesAsia said:
With reference to the following item 'Nintendo DS Lite Console (Crystal White) (110V) (Japan Version)' in your order 407****, the expected ship out date has been revised to Apr/04/2006.

*cries*

zou

So, anyone gonna pre-order from YesAsia? After all, the DS Lite is a steal at 299$! Plus you save 50$ compared to the list price.

By the way, someone is gonna die if the DS Lite doesn't launch in May in the US.

:x

Rlan

The removal of the Thumb strap is a stupid idea. If done right, the Thumb Strap easily surpasses Stylus or D-Pad for 3D control movement. I had no problems using it with Super Mario 64. It's a nub of plastic, why get rid of it?

Stryder

I'm pumped, even on the lowest brightness setting the screen looks bright enough for regular use, setting 3 looks ridiculous and 4 seems totally unnecessary.

I really hope I get in the first batch of orders, I made my order for a Ice Blue and Enamel Navy at Play-asia early February so here's hoping they come my way on the 11th.

Kuran

Banned
I just cancelled my pre-order, I'm not paying 300$ for my DS Lite.

NDS

NEWS NDS Lite and Speculators Ransom

If you have preordered an NDS Lite, please read.
«©NCSX» First, the good news. The Japanese version of the NDS Lite was released in Hong Kong yesterday in moderate quantities. We watched with bemusement as speculators and other second tier vendors sent solicitations overnight. Ten pieces here, five pieces there, and so on and so forth. The prices being quoted were laughable but we'll get to that.

Now, the bad news. Initial pricing per NDS Lite sits at an average of HK$2300. That's US$297.54 per unit. NCS took preorders at US$169.

We should just repost our "PSP pricing fireworks" from late 2004 here but our recommendation is to wait for better pricing since speculators can't control the market forever and additional supplies invariably reach market at normal prices. However, if you're willing to pay upwards of $300 to receive an NDS Lite this week, we can supply. We just don't recommend it.

The official Japanese launch is in 2 days. At this point, it is unclear if our suppliers in Japan to whom we submitted the bulk of our preorders will join in the speculative frenzy and hold out for higher prices. We're hoping that they'll forego the instinct to gouge like the Hong Kong players but that's NCS' naïveté showing up again. In other words, "Why sell to NCS at the original distribution price when we can charge close to double and still move all of our stock in less than an hour? We got kids to feed!"

As is common with launch feeding frenzies of this nature, they are speculative and fueled by limited initial inventory. The market is tested with certain price points and levels of support and resistance. If there is retail support at US$300 for an NDS Lite, prices will remain at that level. If there is resistance, a lower price point will be tested and the cycle refreshes itself until the buyers and sellers meet equilibrium. In this case, equilibrium is when inventory sells briskly and without hesitation. We're at the "no hesitation" point of the cycle.

NCS is loathe to participate in the histrionics if we can help it. Exorbitant prices invariably crumble to normal levels within days or weeks and we're then accused of helping the gougers gouge consumers. We've seen it since the days of the Nintendo 64 and we'll see it again when the PS3 debuts. The launch mania attendant with new gaming hardware has become a routine. We could script an off-Broadway play if there was enough of an audience for it... In any case, if the speculators continue to control the market over the next few days, the original price of US$169 for an NDS Lite may not be in the realm of possibility until more supplies reach market.

We'll have another update by Thursday since we'll have a better idea of how the Japan launch will be handled and if rampant gouging is infectious.

Has anybody ordered from Yes Asia and not got the "You're waiting a month, fucker" email? I pre-ordered this on Feb 1st, I'd expect to at least be in the running for first shipment from them.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, yeah...I don't care if I don't get a DS Lite tomorrow or not (when I reserved it the guy was very doubtful I'd be get one at launch); I'm selling my DS tomorrow. Those pics of the screen brightness make me never want to touch the original DS ever again. :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
FUCK! Delayed a whole friggin month! YesAsia FTL. Knew it was coming though, are we supposed to just miss out on the whole 1 million units in March then or what?!

I hate how I can't cancel my order at Yes Asia. Isn't that...you know. Illegal?

Now I have no choice. I either end up with two DS Lite's and a overdraft limit being dangerously close to being raped, or I wait a month. Bastards.

The Lik-Sang pictures have the DS Lite in front of a box with the thumb strap along side it. So maybe it's included?

I haven't used mine for over a year anyway.

kaizoku

TheGreatDave said:
I hate how I can't cancel my order at Yes Asia. Isn't that...you know. Illegal?

Now I have no choice. I either end up with two DS Lite's and a overdraft limit being dangerously close to being raped, or I wait a month. Bastards.

Try emailing them since this is a fault on their behalf in a way.

They have also raised the price to $300 on their website. I expect everyone else to follow suit. Those who pre-ordered on day 1 will be lucky to get it!

My bet is they ship to $300 payers or leave them in their physical store to meet local demand which also pays a premium!

kaizoku said:
Try emailing them since this is a fault on their behalf in a way.

They have also raised the price to $300 on their website. I expect everyone else to follow suit. Those who pre-ordered on day 1 will be lucky to get it!

My bet is they ship to $300 payers or leave them in their physical store to meet local demand which also pays a premium!

I expect that too. It's not in Yes Asia's favour to not be assholes about this.

I emailed them just now. The shitty thing is I emailed them a few days ago and they said I'd get it shipped on March 2nd. I said I want to cancel. I think I'll move to Lik-Sang or just pay a bit extra on eBay.

YesAsia said:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you very much for your support to YesAsia.com.

With reference to your recent order (4***) placed on 1-Feb-06, we would like to have your kind attention that as confirmed by our Japanese supplier, there is a manufacturing problem with "Nintendo DS Lite Console (Crystal White) (110V) (Japan Version)" (YesAsia Catalog Number 1004115193) that the colour of the end product does not matched with crystal white resulting in a call back from the manufacturer. Only a few of them have passed the final quality check and flow into the market and thus, we will not be able to provide the above-mentioned item according to the original schedule. Though we will be able to search for a limited quantity of those which have flowed into the market but the selling price has gone up quite a lots. Under such a situation, we would like to have kind co-operation to choose your own preference so that we will be able to handle your order according to your choice.

1. Take the few flowed into the market one(s) but the price will be revised to US$299.99 (first-come-first-serve).
2. Keep your order and wait for the new batch of end product, which is expected to be ready in one-month time 3. Cancel your order (if the captioned item is the only item in your order) or remove the captioned item from your order and have the rest of the items shipped.

If we do not hear from you by Mar 6, 2006, we will assume that option 2 will be your preference and keep your order until the new batch of the end product becomes available for shipment. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused from this unexpected manufacturing problem.

Should you have any further inquiry, please kindly refer to our Customer Support Section at http://yesasia.com/help/index.asp or contact our Customer Service Hotline directly.

For better service, please kindly include this email when you reply.

Best regards,
Customer Service Department
YesAsia.com (Hong Kong) Ltd.
Within Continental US:
+1 866-440-8388 (Toll Free Phone)
+1 866-451-8388 (Toll Free Fax)
Within Hawaii: +1 888-851-8882
Within Canada: +1 866-468-0889
Outside US & Canada: +852 2522 1227(Hong Kong number)

Yes Asia FT F'N L!

If they send it out today for $300, I'm a fucking idiot so I'll buy it. If not, I'll wait.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I just don't understand how Nintendo could screw up so badly. It's not even component shortages that's holding them back - it's the damn color of the casing that they couldn't get right.

Considering how well they handled the original DS launch in particular it's difficult to understand.

kaizoku

TheGreatDave said:
Yes Asia FT F'N L!

If they send it out today for $300, I'm a fucking idiot so I'll buy it. If not, I'll wait.

thats pretty reasonable don't you think? I think whats happened (supposedly) with these is that they are having to pay more for them as well as its not from their usual supplier. Same for NCSX.

They're saying they don't have the DS Lite, but if you want to pay $300 they will "acquire one for you".

I' just gonna wait as I'm hoping Nintendo soon flood the market and demand is met and prices go back down and my order can ship out earlier. Not many games I want it for in the next month anyway.

Xrenity

TheGreatDave said:
Yes Asia FT F'N L!

Oh god, the color doesn't match?
They couldn't see that during production? wtf?

I hope Lik-Sang sends something out in the short term :(

I've officially got out this shit now. I've cancelled it at Yes Asia, and I'm pre-ordering it at Play Asia. I had a gift voucher there anyway.

I'll wait a month. Damn them.

kaizoku

TheGreatDave said:
I've officially got out this shit now. I've cancelled it at Yes Asia, and I'm pre-ordering it at Play Asia. I had a gift voucher there anyway.

I'll wait a month. Damn them.

Doesn't this mean you just joined the back of a very long queue?

I am gonna catch the first train to Yodobashi Umeda in a few hours. Dunno if I will get one, but some friends invited me. Just finished 2 tests and a paper today so I am set. haha.

I will let people know how it goes and get pictures back of the madhouse that is likely to ensue.

Keio

For a Finer World
marc^o^ said:
No news from Play-asia yet, my white DS is still supposed to be launched on friday.
I'm scared - will they get mine or not... I preordered from Play-Asia on the 10th :I

At least this is exciting!

Xrenity

BudokaiMR2 said:
I am gonna catch the first train to Yodobashi Umeda in a few hours. Dunno if I will get one, but some friends invited me. Just finished 2 tests and a paper today so I am set. haha.

I will let people know how it goes and get pictures back of the madhouse that is likely to ensue.
This is why I love GAF :) First hand information right from Japan.

RaidenZR

Yeah, if anyone hears anything from Play-Asia please post. I had put in an order as soon as they went up and I need to know what's up.

amrum

BudokaiMR2 said:

Thanks ! Keeps us in touch ! Show us the madness :)

blargh!

NCSX will post an update on Thursday and see if there supplier they preordered a bunch through will fkin own us in the price. If they do.. ill be so mad! All signs atm point to yes, but I pray not.. I cant live w/o this thing !

BudokaiMR2 said:
I am gonna catch the first train to Yodobashi Umeda in a few hours.

And this is why I'm sleeping in tomorrow. You people are sick. It's freezing cold and raining outside, and I know if I took the first train to Ikebukuro and got in line at 5:00 a.m., I'd still be too late.

The local store is having a raffle drawing tomorrow to see which 30 lucky people get to give them 17,000 yen for one, so I'm going that route. May not get one and have to give my girlfriend a nice shiny I.O.U. for White Day, but I figure that's better than getting up at 4:00 a.m., waiting out in the cold for 5 hours, and THEN not getting one.

kaizoku said:
Doesn't this mean you just joined the back of a very long queue?

Yeah, but from the sounds of it, I'm going to be waiting awhile anyway. I get the feeling that once Nintendo get this stuff sorted out, the supply will catch up with demand quite quickly, so the difference in wait between the 2000th person to pre-order and 10,000th won't be as large as the 1st and the 2000th.

This is based on nothing though.

I don't expect to get it before April, but I expect to pay less than £100, which is good. I had a £30 coupon for Play Asia that I had to use soon.

Top Bottom