• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is removing games from my Wii U & 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxgame

If I'm understanding it correctly, that's a pretty amazingly stupid rule.

it is, but it was never a problem because they don't allow you to register the code.

But, apparently you can if it's physical + digital? I had no idea.

But that confuses me too as I've never registered a digital copy, they are registered by themselves. I have no idea.

Guys, I don't fucking get it. If Nintendo didn't want you to register the same game on the same family account, they wouldn't even let you do it. Same as trying to do it more than once on the same (singular) account.

Someone explain it to me.

Springy

register the same Nintendo product more than once, unless expressly permitted by us;
Each time you punch in a code, you take a consumer survey, right? Is this rule to preserve the accuracy of their survey data? Because I'm not divining any other reason for its inclusion.

Edit: AWW SHIT I just remembered I have physical and digital versions of AC:NL and RE: Revelations on my CN account

This. Basically the only reason to start this thread is to use anti-Nintendo action, which should be bannable.

Give me a fucking break. Nintendo have removed legally-obtained games from his account. This is a legitimate grievance, and their fucking antiquated account system needs to be sorted out so this kind of shit does not happen.

I didn't even know you could register the same game more than once.

For USA you can register the same game physically and digitally. Then if you have a family account, sub accounts under the main can do the same. I was buying games sometimes just to get Club Nintendo points =/

Are those reward games they're removing, or ones you paid for?

They are part of the monthly rewards.

Or talk with customer service and resolve it....

I am being told to sit and wait and they will call me. In the mean time they are removing games.

But...i dont know about the US clubNintendo but the UK one only allows you to register each game only once. If you rebuy it and try to reigster, it refuses to let you.

Is that not the case in the US CN?
As he said, family accounts and digital v physical

I'm guessing one reason they don't want you doing it is because registering requires you fill out a survey. And if one person is filling out a survey for the same game multiple times it kind of screws up their data collection

Phil S.

Banned
For USA you can register the same game physically and digitally. Then if you have a family account, sub accounts under the main can do the same. I was buying games sometimes just to get Club Nintendo points =/

They are part of the monthly rewards.

Ah, so you were gaming the system and got caught. Sorry. :/

EDIT: You bought games with coins you got by means against the ToS. That's a tricky situation.

SegaShack

Disconnect the console from the internet.

So the CN system lets you register multiples even though it's against the ToS? What the hell?

You're using a loophole to break the TOS.

I mean, I personally don't agree with that rule, and they should definitely close that loophole, but they are comepletely within their rights to refuse Club Nintendo services.

Springy

Ah, so you were gaming the system and got caught. Sorry. :/

EDIT: You bought games with coins you got by means against the ToS. That's a tricky situation.

I don't see how he's "gaming the system" when he paid for those games that had codes attributed to them.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, he has one NNID... but multiple Club Nintendo accounts. Which is the issue.

Maybe it's the "register more than once as a Club Nintendo member;" stipulation and they people who oversee the transactions thought it looked funny. Being linked to one NNID could be seen as questionable I would think.

I would call Customer Service until you get to talk to someone.

So if I'm understanding, OP has a family account for himself and his never and nephew. He buys four copies of certain games, two for himself and one for the each of the children. He collects all the coins from these transactions, which if against Nintendo TOS for whatever reason. Note: this is not atypical for reward programs. Most of these programs I have experience with do cap the points you can receive. Also, he collects coins from the purchases of other family members, which is also against the ToS but probably not that easily trackable. So far, this sucks but is not that far out there.

But then, it seems Nintendo is deleting the extra copies that the OP purchased? Or are they deleting software purchased with, in their eyes, illicitly gotten coins?

There we go. Yeah, that sucks but it is pretty logical. Again, it is important to note that many reward systems for many companies do have restrictions like this in place. Credit cards, movie theaters, etc.

Hopefully it works out for you.

This. Basically the only reason to start this thread is to use anti-Nintendo action, which should be bannable.
The fuck?

Cody_D165

Banned
Whoa, you can't resell the rewards? That's a bummer. Always wanted to try and track down one of those Mario statue things that was a reward a few years back.

lmao

Still really sorry about your situation TTH. Hope you can work something out with Nintendo's digital policies have never been one of their strong points. :(

Phil S.

Banned
...wat

This situation is confusing though.

I'm thinking it's this.

OP made multiple Club Nintendo accounts or used multiple names under the same account to get as many coins as possible.

He then used the coins to purchase monthly rewards in the form of downloadable games.

These downloadable games purchased via Club Nintendo coins are the ones being removed from his 3DS and Wii U. Therefore, Nintendo is removing the games he bought with coins that were earned by gaming the system.

Veitsev

So if I'm understanding, OP has a family account for himself and his never and nephew. He buys four copies of certain games, two for himself and one for the each of the children. He collects all the coins from these transactions, which if against Nintendo TOS for whatever reason. Note: this is not atypical for reward programs. Most of these programs I have experience with do cap the points you can receive. Also, he collects coins from the purchases of other family members, which is also against the ToS but probably not that easily trackable. So far, this sucks but is not that far out there.

But then, it seems Nintendo is deleting the extra copies that the OP purchased? Or are they deleting software purchased with, in their eyes, illicitly gotten coins?

The fuck?

Pretty sure they deleted the games bought as Club Nintendo rewards with points, not the games he purchased with real cash.

knkng

It's bullshit that Nintendo did that to you, but damn 12,000 Club Nintendo points. That's like 300 retail games...

Regiruler

You're the guy with that absolutely huge list of registered games right?

It's possible that their system just wasn't equipped to deal with that many registered titles and some false red flags went up.

Gaming the system? I was buying a ton of games and then registering them. How is that gaming the system?

The TOS expressly says not to do that. The fact that you are able to do it at all is moronic and should be fixed, but whether you meant to or not you broke the TOS.

ohlawd

From the ToS

make use of Coins in any way other than for your own or members of your Family Account's personal use -- in particular, you may not sell, buy or auction Coins or transfer Coins to another account;

In a way, OP used his coins to do giveaways but that's a stretch.

I really have never seen the point of ever going beyond platinum unless I really want to give feedback or there is some other promotion going on. There really aren't enough decent rewards to spend coins on anyways. And it's easy enough to get platinum without gaming the system if you are a dedicated Nintendo fan. I usually get platinum halfway through the club nintendo year (and I buy digitally now for pretty much everything, so no waiting for one year to end before registering)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The same thing happened to me, under different circumstances. I bought an eShop code for Wind Waker from an eBay seller (from the MK8 promo) and they deleted his account, which in turn removed my access to the game. Luckily, he was a nice guy and gave me my money back. I guess he had a family account and registered multiple copies of MK8 to it, which shouldn't be an issue, but they must have been able to tell that the codes were being redeemed on different Wii U units. That's still bullshit, though, since the FAQ for the MK8 promo clearly says that the free game codes do NOT have to be redeemed on the console that the account is registered to (which makes it sound like gifting would be okay).

Phil S.

Banned
I don't see how he's "gaming the system" when he paid for those games that had codes attributed to them.

The games being deleted are the ones that were purchased with coins gotten from going against the ToS, or is that what you meant? Forgive me if I am misunderstanding! :<

evanmisha

I'm thinking it's this.

OP made multiple Club Nintendo accounts or used multiple names under the same account to get as many coins as possible.

He then used the coins to purchase monthly rewards in the form of downloadable games.

These downloadable games purchased via Club Nintendo coins are the ones being removed from his 3DS and Wii U. Therefore, Nintendo is removing the games he bought with coins that were earned by gaming the system.

Bingo.

OP says outright he has multiple Club Nintendo accounts. It sucks, dude. You were awesome for giving out codes like you did, but you were playing with fire and got burnt.

Phil S.

Banned
The TOS expressly says not to do that. The fact that you are able to do it at all is moronic and should be fixed, but whether you meant to or not you broke the TOS.

Yeah, it's Nintendo's fault for allowing that to even happen, but it's also the OP's fault for doing it in the first place.

I think an account with 12000 coins or however the OP had would be suspicious anyhow to Nintendo.

I don't see how spending money and buying multiple copies of games is "gaming the system." Yeah, if he was unlawfully obtaining codes,and I have to assume that's what Nintendo is thinking here, then that would be gaming the system. If I buy a second copy of Ocarina of Time 3d for a relative and they don't care about the coins, I don't feel like that's gaming the system. In fact, that's why they have family memberships in the first place.

Fdkn

ToS are not laws. Many times they are even against the law until someone get an issue of enough importance to fight back.

If the ToS is unfair, blame it, not the customer for spending his money ffs

Pretty sure they deleted the games bought as Club Nintendo rewards with points, not the games he purchased with real cash.
Yeah, seems so. Hopefully it works out for him, especially considering Nintendo allowed the loophole, but I can't justify grabbing my pitchfork here. Nintendo ought to fix the loophole and let people keep their games though.

Zinthar

Wow, what a moronic ToS. Someone should politely inform Mr. Iwata that being so openly hostile to your paying customers isn't going to help return the company to a profit.

Edit: And not only that, but hostile to one of their best paying customers. If their Customer Service knows what they're doing, they'll give you everything back and write an email apologizing for the inconvenience.

Springy

The games being deleted are the ones that were purchased with coins gotten from going against the ToS, or is that what you meant? Forgive me if I am misunderstanding! :<
No, your facts are all correct, but I'm not sure the term you used applies. OP hasn't tricked his way into the CN rewards, he just inadvertently violated the TOS due to his rather unusual spending habits. Unless I'm missing something.

For instance: that Gamestop XBL codes giveaway where people were creating tons of FB accounts to grab hundreds of dollars of codes is "gaming the system". Team Top Hat bought his family members copies of Nintendo games and used the codes in the games he legitimately purchased.

I don't see how spending money and buying multiple copies of games is "gaming the system." Yeah, if he was unlawfully obtaining codes,and I have to assume that's what Nintendo is thinking here, then that would be gaming the system. If I buy a second copy of Ocarina of Time 3d for a relative and they don't care about the coins, I don't feel like that's gaming the system. In fact, that's why they have family memberships in the first place.

Being the devil's advocate here for a second, the coins are technically a reward for the feedback you give them in their surveys, rather than for purchasing the game. Registering multiple copies of the same game results in you submitting multiple feedback reports for the same game. You create useless, junk data that compromises the feedback system. I don't like it, but on some level, I get it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
He's not telling his niece and nephew what Club Nintendo is?

"Ah, you don't need these slips of paper, I'll throw those away for you, at my house, after typing what they say into this web page. DON'T LOOK"
He paid for those games. What's the problem with keeping the codes?

This sucks. Even though it's against the ToS, it's still stupid as hell. Removing access to the games should never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom