• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Santar
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:16 PM)
Santar's Avatar
UPDATE
Okay, some clarification.
This is what seems to be the case.

The localized version of Fantasy Life has the online multiplayer from the Japanese Link re-release of the game.
Everything else that came in the Link update is in the day 1 dlc.

So either you could see it as "Nintendo leaves out everything from Link update to sell as day 1 dlc" or "Nintendo includes online from fantasy life link in the game", your choice.
I personally find it very disappointing that we don't get the complete Link version on the cart when it came out so long ago in Japan.

ORIGINAL POST
So yesterday Nintendo announced day 1 dlc called Origin Island for the upcoming 3DS rpg Fantasy Life.

The problem with this is that the dlc is actually content cut from the Japanese version of the game.
The english version of Fantasy Life is the updated re-release called Fantasy Life Link in Japan, one of the features added in that re-release was Origin Island (as seen in this article) and now they've actually removing it from the game to sell it to us?

Ninetndo is so inconsistent about the way they handle dlc.
On one hand we get the "we are absolutely not cutting anything out of the game and all dlc are produced after the game is done" and then we get stuff like this.
And for once we actually know the content is done and just cut out.

Why couldn't they just put everything on the cart?
And of course the gaming "media" have made no mention of this anywhere...

And yes, Nintendo is the publisher of the game.
Last edited by Santar; 08-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(08-30-2014, 01:18 PM)
Uncle Rupee's Avatar
That really blows. Do you have any info on what the DLC content actually is?

edit:

The mysterious island will mainly consist of forests, plains and beaches that will be great for fishing. It will also include a giant tower that reaches the sky, which Level-5 will be showing off on their next update.

ThoughtsOfSpeaking
Banned
(08-30-2014, 01:18 PM)
ThoughtsOfSpeaking's Avatar
Dont worry, you will have plenty of posts explaining to you why you are wrong in due course. Nintendo would never do anything that didnt have their customers best interests at heart.
Santar
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:18 PM)
Santar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uncle Rupee

That really blows. Do you have any info on what the DLC content actually is?

Added links to the OP.
NewGame
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:20 PM)
NewGame's Avatar
Honestly these days some people don't buy games unless they are promised DLC. They don't care if it's day 1 or on disc or whatever.
KingHippo1967
Junior Member
(08-30-2014, 01:20 PM)
KingHippo1967's Avatar
Would be nice to know all the facts first.

1) Does the add-on cost money, or is it free and made separate for some other technical reason (i.e. localisation into five different languages in Europe means games take up more space on a cart)?

2) Was this really NIntendo's decision, or Level-5's? Nintendo may be publishing the game but it didn't develop it.

That's probably why the "media" (no need for the snarky quote marks) hasn't reported on it yet - because sometimes it waits until it has all the facts instead of making knee-jerk reactions like you just did.
Dizzy
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:21 PM)
Dizzy's Avatar
After so many good moves this year, and the excellent value in the MK dlc....nintendo has to ruin it by pullinh shit like this and the new 3ds.

This dlc cutting really goes against what they said not too long ago.
Zalman
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:21 PM)
Zalman's Avatar
Remember guys, vote with your wallets.
Art
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:22 PM)
Art's Avatar
Not buying this if true.
JMDSO
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:23 PM)
JMDSO's Avatar
If it is not acceptable from MS or Sony then it is not acceptable from Nintendo.
SliceSabre
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:23 PM)
SliceSabre's Avatar
Nintendo just doing what every other company is doing because that is what we as gamers have shown that we want because we buy it.

EDIT: Course it could be the case that Level-5 cut the content and Nintendo didn't say anything about it and are just publishing it.
Last edited by SliceSabre; 08-30-2014 at 01:27 PM.
WadiumArcadium
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:23 PM)
WadiumArcadium's Avatar
Hmm, shame when companies do this.
Sify64
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:23 PM)
Sify64's Avatar
Is the add-on content free or do you have to purchase it?
AkelisRain
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:23 PM)
AkelisRain's Avatar
Just pass on it, they will get the memo.
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(08-30-2014, 01:24 PM)
Uncle Rupee's Avatar

Originally Posted by SliceSabre

Nintendo just doing what every other company is doing because that is what we as gamers have shown that we want because we buy it.

To be fair it is a Level-5 game, so we don't know where this decision was made.
wrowa
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:24 PM)
wrowa's Avatar
To be fair, Fantasy Life Link was an expanded re-release of the original Fantasy Life. Nintendo could also have just released the original Fantasy Life instead of the expanded version in the West. Level-5 charged owners of the original Fantasy Life approx. $20 for the update to the Link version.
Bomber Bob
Banned
(08-30-2014, 01:24 PM)
Bomber Bob's Avatar
free dlc?
Daedardus
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:24 PM)
Daedardus's Avatar
Nintendo also publishes Hyrule Warriors in the West, and yet KT has a say in how DLC is done.
Pennywise83
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:24 PM)
Pennywise83's Avatar
This is a bit of an exaggeration.

The Western version of Fantasy Life is basically Fantasy Life + multiplayer mode. So:

Is Nintendo (or Level-5) cutting contents? Yes: Origin Island was available in Fantasy Life Link. Is it a big issue? No, in my opinion, because Nintendo bothered anyway to bring in Europe and North America Fantasy Life + multiplayer. They cut just a really tiny feature of the expansion, which is fully enjoyable without it.
Last edited by Pennywise83; 08-30-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Kouriozan
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:24 PM)
Kouriozan's Avatar
You meant Level 5, right?
Sammy Samusu
I should post less pop-gaf speak spam. It's bad for my health.
(08-30-2014, 01:25 PM)
Sammy Samusu's Avatar
Probably because Fantasy Life and Link were both developed at different times and under different budgets.

Level-5 only released Link because Fantasy Life was a success, it wasn't planned from the start, it cost them extra money.

I'd love to have it available for no extra charges, but I can see where Nintendo and Level-5 are coming from, hopefully they will price it correctly.
Last edited by Sammy Samusu; 08-30-2014 at 01:29 PM.
vareon
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:26 PM)
vareon's Avatar

Originally Posted by wrowa

To be fair, Fantasy Life Link was an expanded re-release of the original Fantasy Life. Nintendo could also have just released the original Fantasy Life instead of the expanded version in the West. Level-5 charged owners of the original Fantasy Life approx. $20 for the update to the Link version.

This case looks particularly bad because it's the same situation as Bravely Default: For The Sequel, yet we get FTS. Dunno why Fantasy Life didn't do that.
Griddlelol
Junior Member
(08-30-2014, 01:26 PM)

Originally Posted by KingHippo1967

Would be nice to know all the facts first.

1) Does the add-on cost money, or is it free and made separate for some other technical reason (i.e. localisation into five different languages in Europe means games take up more space on a cart)?

2) Was this really NIntendo's decision, or Level-5's? Nintendo may be publishing the game but it didn't develop it.

That's probably why the "media" (no need for the snarky quote marks) hasn't reported on it yet - because sometimes it waits until it has all the facts instead of making knee-jerk reactions like you just did.

Holy shit! A rational response in this thread. Kudos.
SliceSabre
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:26 PM)
SliceSabre's Avatar

Originally Posted by Uncle Rupee

To be fair it is a Level-5 game, so we don't know where this decision was made.

I was actually editing my post to say that.

It could entirely be the case that Level-5 cut the content and not Nintendo.
$h@d0w
Junior Member
(08-30-2014, 01:26 PM)
$h@d0w's Avatar
Excellent, Nintendo is finally learning business 101.
Pixel Warrior
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:26 PM)
Pixel Warrior's Avatar
I don't think this is Nintendo's call tbh.
Vox Chaotica
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:27 PM)
Vox Chaotica's Avatar
I am legitimately excited for Fantasy Life, but this is the first time I've heard of cut content being sold as DLC. Pretty much went from a "Day One" purchase to me waiting for a price drop and/or the New 3DS XL before purchasing DLC for a 3DS game.
sd28821
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:27 PM)
sd28821's Avatar

Originally Posted by KingHippo1967

Would be nice to know all the facts first.

1) Does the add-on cost money, or is it free and made separate for some other technical reason (i.e. localisation into five different languages in Europe means games take up more space on a cart)?

2) Was this really NIntendo's decision, or Level-5's? Nintendo may be publishing the game but it didn't develop it.

That's probably why the "media" (no need for the snarky quote marks) hasn't reported on it yet - because sometimes it waits until it has all the facts instead of making knee-jerk reactions like you just did.

perfect
Phazon
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:28 PM)
Phazon's Avatar
We're getting all the gameplay improvements from the re-release of that Fantasy Life game, but the content is seperate dlc/an expansion. I don't really see what's wrong with that. They could have just added everything, but you can't expect fanservice every time. It already has a lot of content in the base game.
Last edited by Phazon; 08-30-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Mousnis
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:28 PM)
Mousnis's Avatar
I kinda liked Nintendo more when they were "behind the times".

Now they will start doing the same shit everyone else is doing.
Blobbers
Junior Member
(08-30-2014, 01:28 PM)
Blobbers's Avatar
I do believe there was a similar case with Fire Emblem: Awakening where content that was available in the Japanese version was sold as DLC in the western releases, although I seem to remember that same DLC being free for like the first 30 days, for the earliest adopters.
PdotMichael
AnimeGAF's largest consumer of moe
(08-30-2014, 01:29 PM)

Originally Posted by KingHippo1967

Would be nice to know all the facts first.

1) Does the add-on cost money, or is it free and made separate for some other technical reason (i.e. localisation into five different languages in Europe means games take up more space on a cart)?

2) Was this really NIntendo's decision, or Level-5's? Nintendo may be publishing the game but it didn't develop it.

That's probably why the "media" (no need for the snarky quote marks) hasn't reported on it yet - because sometimes it waits until it has all the facts instead of making knee-jerk reactions like you just did.

It would be like the first time in the industry that the developers decide what ends as DLC and not the publisher.
Ysiadmihi
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:29 PM)
Ysiadmihi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pixel Warrior

I don't think this is Nintendo's call tbh.

Given how well they're handling MK8's DLC, I would tend to agree.

Pretty shameful if it is their decision though, and it's surprising to see people defending it in here.
MagiusNecros
Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
(08-30-2014, 01:29 PM)
MagiusNecros's Avatar
Developer's have final say in how they want their dlc or additional content to be handled.
MisterHero
Super Member
(08-30-2014, 01:29 PM)
MisterHero's Avatar
The 2nd linked article makes it sound like an expansion to the base game.

Fantasy Life: Link! will be available as a Nintendo eShop download at 2,000 yen ($20) for those who already own the basic version of the game, while a packaged version with the game and update will be sold for 4,980 yen ($50). It is slated for release on July 25th in Japan.

So uh... it's an expansion?

I think you goofed OP
Last edited by MisterHero; 08-30-2014 at 01:32 PM.
wrowa
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:30 PM)
wrowa's Avatar

Originally Posted by vareon

This case looks particularly bad because it's the same situation as Bravely Default: For The Sequel, yet we get FTS. Dunno why Fantasy Life didn't do that.

Our Fantasy Life is based on the Link version, though. It's only that one island they cut, which is just a small part of what they've added. It's certainly not ideal, but since they could have easily released a lesser version and charged for the upgrade like Level-5 did in Japan, I can't really get angry about this.
Percy
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:30 PM)
Fuck's sake...

After this past week it feels like Nintendo is really on the road to being like all the rest now :(
Altered Juice
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:30 PM)
oh you son of a...
zroid
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:30 PM)
zroid's Avatar
That blows
lobdale
3 ft, coiled to the sky
(08-30-2014, 01:31 PM)
lobdale's Avatar
Third party game, blame Level-5.
Kouriozan
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:31 PM)
Kouriozan's Avatar
We are indeed getting Fantasy Life, and not Fantasy Life : Link!, hence the DLC.
Fantasy Life : Link! was not sold as a stand alone in Japan.
At least we're getting the online in the base game.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:32 PM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar
Money talks. Keep that dlc money in your pocket for a few extra mcdoubles
Yagharek
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:32 PM)
Yagharek's Avatar

Originally Posted by MisterHero

The 2nd linked article makes it sound like an expansion to the base game.



So uh... it's an expansion?

"OP cuts content from opening post. Extra context to be added in on post 35"
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(08-30-2014, 01:33 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
the only reason a complaint is even raised about this is because Nintendo tend to give these things out for free or give a good deal

I would say don't buy when you feel you are being cheated and buy when you see it as a good deal I'm sure they will see the pattern soon enough
Glass Rebel
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:33 PM)
Glass Rebel's Avatar
Pretty scummy from whoever made this decision. The PR note also makes it sound like it's paid, unlike the Hyrule Warriors DLC.

How was the Japanese release of the retail Fantasy Life Link handled? I remember it being a budget release, so that could explain it.
kuroneko0509
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:33 PM)
kuroneko0509's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yagharek

"OP cuts content from opening post. Extra context to be added in on post 35"

lol
@MUWANdo
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:33 PM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

Our Fantasy Life is based on the Link version, though. It's only that one island they cut, which is just a small part of what they've added. It's certainly not ideal, but since they could have easily released a lesser version and charged for the upgrade like Level-5 did in Japan, I can't really get angry about this.

It sounds like they're cutting out pretty much all the Link content save for online, not just the island.
zroid
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:33 PM)
zroid's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThoughtsOfSpeaking

Dont worry, you will have plenty of posts explaining to you why you are wrong in due course. Nintendo would never do anything that didnt have their customers best interests at heart.

I hope you know this post is equally bad as the ones you're describing
PdotMichael
AnimeGAF's largest consumer of moe
(08-30-2014, 01:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Kouriozan

We are indeed getting Fantasy Life, and not Fantasy Life : Link!, hence the DLC.
Fantasy Life : Link! was not sold as a stand alone in Japan.
At least we're getting the online in the base game.

Nonsense
Wrong
How friendly not to release the outdated version!
Corpekata
Member
(08-30-2014, 01:33 PM)
Corpekata's Avatar

Originally Posted by MisterHero

The 2nd linked article makes it sound like an expansion to the base game.



So uh... it's an expansion?

I think you goofed OP

It's a Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen situation, where the game was mainly rereleased with expanded content. In NA we're only getting the one version, and it has all the other new stuff, except Origin island.

Thread Tools