• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...is the PS3 at the end of its life finally?

Afrocious

I can only speak from personal experience and events, but I can't think of any game for the PS3 coming out soon that I want, except for Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX. The issue there, however, is that I've played the hell out of KH2 Final Mix when it came out in the KH2FM+ package years ago.

With Persona 5 being announced for cross gen and Destiny being cross gen, I can't think of a PS3 exclusive I want. In fact, I don't even know of any that are coming out aside from the new Kingdom Hearts remasters.

As long as significant games keep coming for it itll still be here, and w/ DQ Heroes announced as cross gen too id say we got a good year of PS3 goodies to go. Especially with Japan slow to adopt the PS4.

Occam

Yes, seems it's slowly riding into the sunset.

Of course I'll be keeping mine. Great library.
Thanks for the memories.

Reishiki

Banned
Zestria, SRW Z3 Part 2, P4 Ultimax, KH 2.5

If Bamco keeps putting out games I want to play on it, then my PS3 will remain in use.

lewisgone

Was that Saints Row standalone hell game coming to PS4? How about the Borderlands pre-sequel? These are the only two I can think of, but I might be wrong. Yeah, it's reaching the end of it's lifeline.

Hasney

Was that Saints Row standalone hell game coming to PS4? How about the Borderlands pre-sequel? These are the only two I can think of, but I might be wrong. Yeah, it's reaching the end of it's lifeline.

Saint's Row is, Borderlands is not.

Afrocious

Tales of Zestiria.

Ah cool. Never been a fan of Tales games, but awesome regardless.

You don't want Arena Ultimax?

Nope. I had Arena. I finished the game and it was largely a waste of my time. I didn't find it fun despite me enjoying going online to stomp with Yukiko. Ultimately, I sold the game and my fightstick.

I'll look up or read about anything related to Ultimax when others buy the game.

I can only speak from personal experience .

So what exactly was the last PS3 exclusive you bought then?

There's a lot of stuff coming out from Japan, like Fairy Fencer F, Tears to Tiara and Under Night in Birth. You just have to look at the release calendar.

Tales of Zestiria is the final stand for me. Come on Namco, port it!

In Japan and even the West it will keep going till at the earliest late 2015.

Mortemis

Banned
Not a tales fan or anything else said in this thread other than KH.

It's looking like KH 2.5 is the last game I play on my ps3 before it joins my 360 and ps2 in the "I'll bring it out whenever I feel like playing something again" box.

ZeroX03

Banned
Let's see my list of PS3 games to get...
- Digimon All-Star Rumble
- Tales of Zestiria
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
- Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD
- Project Diva F 2nd
- Assassin's Creed Rogue (tho pretty sure that'll hit PS4)

Plus some other stuff that's already been released I haven't picked up yet.

Afrocious

So what exactly was the last PS3 exclusive you bought then?

There's a lot of stuff coming out from Japan, like Fairy Fencer F, Tears to Tiara and Under Night in Birth. You just have to look at the release calendar.

I honestly think it was Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix. Even then, I only played through KH1FM. Didn't feel like retreading Re:CoM.

Eusis

I can only speak from personal experience and events, but I can't think of any game for the PS3 coming out soon that I want, except for Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX. The issue there, however, is that I've played the hell out of KH2 Final Mix when it came out in the KH2FM+ package years ago.

With Persona 5 being announced for cross gen and Destiny being cross gen, I can't think of a PS3 exclusive I want. In fact, I don't even know of any that are coming out aside from the new Kingdom Hearts remasters.
I'm honestly surprised at how quickly JAPAN seems to be dropping it. Just need Tales of Zestria to be announced as a PS3/PS4 title and the likes of Gust announcing PS4 titles to cement it. Makes me wonder if SCEI's making a push there, either outright refusing PS3-only games from coming out, or just trying to convince publishers that while they can do a PS3 version, they should SERIOUSLY consider a PS4 version too, if not instead.

Afrocious

I'm honestly surprised at how quickly JAPAN seems to be dropping it. Just need Tales of Zestria to be announced as a PS3/PS4 title and the likes of Gust announcing PS4 titles to cement it. Makes me wonder if SCEI's making a push there, either outright refusing PS3-only games from coming out, or just trying to convince publishers that while they can do a PS3 version, they should SERIOUSLY consider a PS4 version too, if not instead.

I was thinking the same thing considering the drought of PS4 exclusive and PS3/PS4 cross-gen only games to come out.

There's no doubt in my mind P5 will push the PS4 beyond a tiny modicum of what the console is capable of running, but I can't say I see this as a waste. I'm happily buying P5 when its out for the PS4.

Outcome

Banned
Still got MGS HD remakes, God of War HD remakes (+ fresh ones), RE4 HD remake, The Ico & SoC HD remake, Dark Souls 2, GT6 (pretty endless till GT7), Red Dead Redemption left and... that's all I guest, but I use PS3 intensively as a media player. It is great at both blu-rays (incl. remuxes by the God Blessed multiAVCHD) and audio (outputting WAVs at 176.4 kHz to an external DAC). But generally, yes, PS3 slowly becoming a thing of the past. Kinda sad to tell the truth. At least PS4 promises a fruitful generation.

The lack of Zestiria PS4 immediately makes me think that they're going to do an enhanced version (like ToGf) for it. It just doesn't make sense for them to not have a PS4 version considering they've already got a western release lined up. If a small dev like Atlus can handle a simultaneous release of P5, then it shouldn't be a problem for the Tales team.

Eusis

I was thinking the same thing considering the drought of PS4 exclusive and PS3/PS4 cross-gen only games to come out.

There's no doubt in my mind P5 will push the PS4 beyond a tiny modicum of what the console is capable of running, but I can't say I see this as a waste. I'm happily buying P5 when its out for the PS4.
Yeah, I don't really give a damn about a game not pushing the system hard if it wasn't the kind of game that'd do so in the first place anyway, and Atlus definitely is not that kind of developer/publisher. It's why I'd get irritated hearing about the likes of FC4 or TR2 (especially due to that exclusivity) being cross gen given they're big budget AAA productions that could really push forth a new generation, but stuff like this is clearly "nice, more platforms and one that'll run it at a higher resolution and maybe FPS!"

Though I suppose in those cases it's more "I want a shiny showpiece for new consoles and I wouldn't likely care about your game otherwise" and less "this is something I'd want if it were to be a PS1 exclusive for some insane reason."

Sort of. It's gonna survive in Japan because a lot of Japanese devs are still making cross-gen games and Japan doesn't seem to really care about anything that the west cares about, namely power in consoles.

Yakuza 0 is probably going to run at 1080p on the PS4? Well, 720p is just fine for most of Japanese people, I'd imagine. So no real point in upgrading if devs refuse to stop making games for it and if the upgrades don't really matter to the audience.

Edit: Did you mean for us? Yeah, it's dead for me atleast. Never played any of the Tales games so I don't really care about them and the PS4 stole any reason for me to keep my PS3 since Persona 5 is now cross-gen. My parents have been using it more for Netflix, so that's what it's gonna be used for.

It seems like after this year, PS3 exclusives will be dead other than Zestiria, and even that I wouldn't be surprised to see ported. Well, 2014 was a strong year for an obsolete console and cross-platform will stick around for a bit longer.

Still need to check out a few games that have already been released but in terms of future releases I think it comes down Persona 4 Ultimax and Tales of Zestiria.
Ended up being one of my favorite consoles ever.

Eusis

Yes, sadly and it will hold PS4 back.
It's probably better the Vita act as the teether for these publishers/developers to have piece of mind over their releases. It'll hold back harder than the PS3, but I don't think the Vita's doing GREAT in Japan either, and it gives us an avenue of international release if support sours in the same way it did for the PSP. Assuming of course SCEA doesn't get a stick up their ass anyway.

MavFan619

Banned
My PS3 is a USF4 and Dark Souls NG+ box and checking out what's on Plus. Probably the next Tales as well but P5 coming to PS4 means that PS3 swan song game will be played on my PS4 instead :)

JoJoSono

Banned
Probably going to get Japanese games announced for it well into 2016. A lot of these games could be on the Vita, but PS4 is'nt as sure.

But I don't understand this talk of people getting rid of theirs. Still plenty of PS3/HD gen only games. Seems stupid to me, but then again I still play my PS2.

Afrocious

no, you go buy Graces F, and both Xillia games
Xillia 2 has model swap costumes
MODEL
SWAP
COSTUMES

Are these games better than Abyss?

Abyss was the only Tales game I played, but someone spoiled some stuff about it and killed my enthusiasm to pick it up again.

Then...I guess there was that 360 Tales demo. It was the first for the 360 and I forget the name. Vesperia I think. Didn't like the demo at all.

Abyss was the only Tales game I played, but someone spoiled some stuff about it and killed my enthusiasm to pick it up again.

Then...I guess there was that 360 Tales demo. It was the first for the 360 and I forget the name. Vesperia I think. Didn't like the demo at all.
Graces f is excellent gameplay-wise. Story is ass though. They probably won't win you over if you already dislike Tales. Otherwise, don't forget Symphonia (you can ignore Symphonia 2).

Zestiria is really all that stands in the way.

If Bamco make that jump now, I can safely put my PS3 to retirement for next year.

Bloodborne should tie me over from needing the DSII DLCs.

imo yea Graces was better
but then again i enjoyed the combat more
Jade is still the best troll of the Tales series though(ive heard Muzet surpasses him)

Top Bottom