• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Way of the Samurai game (or not) announced for Vita

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I didn't find any thread for this, so here's the teaser played during the Vita section of the Sony conference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwhnC27NjNM

WotS-PSV-Ann-Init.jpg

sensui-tomo

hoping Wots 4 sold well enough for any company to consider importing this title over here, hell digital only would be fine.

Accoun

That "=" looked like "≠" with that cut (posting from memory), but I guess they wouldn't make all the assets in the teaser then? Or a new Samurai IP?

[EDIT]
Beaten.

The teaser trailer looked, graphically, like a step down from 4. Which in itself wasn't a pretty game.

I hope it's Acquire developing. They're a bit janky, but they make solid action games (playing Shinobido 2 at the moment; really enjoying it).

The 4th game was a lot of fun. Looking forward to this.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought that ending was suppose to be read as

New Project ≠ Way of the Samurai

It says the New Project does not equal Way of the Samurai, so it's not a Way of the Samurai title.

That "=" looked like "≠" with that cut (posting from memory), but I guess they wouldn't make all the assets in the teaser then? Or a new Samurai IP?

[EDIT]
Beaten.

Honestly i didn't understand the reason for the =/=, but if it was not a Way of the Samurai game... well then why putting "Way of the Samurai" instead of the real name?

4lejandro

Great, I really loved the PS2 original, as janky and cheesy as it was, I really enjoyed the combat and multiple paths/endings/swords/outfits. Haven't played other games in the series tho...

#vitabros4life

fek

Way of the Samurai is great, but why Spike Chunsoft? I guess it's not really a Way of the Samurai game.

Honestly i didn't understand the reason for the =/=, but if it was not a Way of the Samurai game... well then why putting "Way of the Samurai" instead of the real name?

Because they don't have a name yet?

I thought the entire point was to make sure fans knew it was a new project and not a WotS title (since everyone assumed from the getgo that it was WotS). Why else mention it's a new project instead of just saying the name?

TriGen

Great, I really loved the PS2 original, as janky and cheesy as it was, I really enjoyed the combat and multiple paths/endings/swords/outfits. Haven't played other games in the series tho...

#vitabros4life

Yeah, I'm the same, I loved the original as well but have never played another one in the series. I could be down for a Vita entry.

Edit: A new IP could be neat too. If it happens not to be a WotS title.

Arzehn

I never played this series before, is there anything remarkable about it? Looks kind of like a feudal Yakuza game (which is a good thing).

Because they don't have a name yet?

I thought the entire point was to make sure fans knew it was a new project and not a WotS title (since everyone assumed from the getgo that it was WotS). Why else mention it's a new project instead of just saying the name?

I am guessing it is a WotS spin-off kind of game that uses ideas from WotS but does new things that they are afraid the fanbase might not like.

Busaiku

Way of the Samurai is great, but why Spike Chunsoft? I guess it's not really a Way of the Samurai game.

Spike always published it.
It's likely Acquire's still developing it.
I mean they did Akiba's Trip, which is basically Way of the Samurai - Figure Edition.

Swarming101

To be honest there were a lot of elements I liked in WotS4 but the silliness was the worst part for me. I would buy the hell out of a realistic Japanese samurai RPG.

Tigress

I don't know anything about these games except that trailer I just watched. Is it a sword fight fighting game (like Bushido Blade)? Or is it a story game with combat. And is the combat like Bushido Blade?

(basically I'm kinda hoping it has combat like Bushido Blade. I loved the concept of that game where the sword fighting was supposed to be more realistic with getting one good slash to the right place was an instant kill or would gimp a leg or arm rather than having a health meter. Too bad it didn't take off).

GrayFoxPL

I don't know anything about these games except that trailer I just watched. Is it a sword fight fighting game (like Bushido Blade)? Or is it a story game with combat. And is the combat like Bushido Blade?

(basically I'm kinda hoping it has combat like Bushido Blade. I loved the concept of that game where the sword fighting was supposed to be more realistic with getting one good slash to the right place was an instant kill or would gimp a leg or arm rather than having a health meter. Too bad it didn't take off).

It's a non linear adventure action game. The story and events depend on your actions. Like who do you kill, who you'd make friends with, if you'd be at certain place at certain time etc.

You collect hundreds of swords and other blades, even guns in newest titles, there are multiple styles of fighting you must learn by leveling up the weapon.

Fighting is pretty realistic, though since 1 it became way more action oriented in newest titles. One hit kills are possible but mainly due to super upgraded sword and weak enemy.

Still it's one of my favorite series ever.

Terra_Ex

Love the WotS series, assuming this is indeed a new entry I'll buy it, just a shame about the platform. Hopefully it'll work on the vita tv.

FoxSpirit

Hey, I have a Vita and haven't played a WotS in ages. Bring it. My school of "pick the best skills" is so ready :p

Tigress

It's a non linear adventure action game. The story and events depend on your actions. Like who do you kill, who you'd make friends with, if you'd be at certain place at certain time etc.

You collect hundreds of swords and other blades, even guns in newest titles, there are multiple styles of fighting you must learn by leveling up the weapon.

Fighting is pretty realistic, though since 1 it became way more action oriented in newest titles. One hit kills are possible but mainly due to super upgraded sword and weak enemy.

That sounds pretty awesome actually (though it sounds like the fighting isn't quite the same as Bushido Blade where the focus was that if you had the skill to manage a slash at the right place, it would kill the person. Different weapons just gave you different ranges or strengths or weaknesses to get around defenses/defend yourself).

hoping Wots 4 sold well enough for any company to consider importing this title over here, hell digital only would be fine.

The fact that this one is on Vita would suggest that it didn't sell particularly well, or else they'd be making a console version instead. Which is a shame, because I fucking love this series, and would love to see them on PC so I could play them without screen tearing and in 60fps.

Style looks cartoony, locations and npcs seem to be recycled from WOTS4, which makes me think either some kind of enhanced port or a spin-off. I'd love for it to be more like 3 with regards to larger, more elaborate environments with a larger population of NPCs.

I loved how in 3 you could murder every character, regardless of importance to the plot, and end up with a completely unique ending as a result. Reminded me of Fallout New Vegas in terms of NPC mortality. Shame they went backwards with 4 and made important NPCs escape when you got their health low enough.

4lejandro

Yeah, I'm the same, I loved the original as well but have never played another one in the series. I could be down for a Vita entry.

Edit: A new IP could be neat too. If it happens not to be a WotS title.

Let's hope for the best, the pick up and play nature of the Vita could be a good fit (and the resume function) for it.

Top Bottom