• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman has conversation with her mother with Dementia, gets her to remember her name

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramuh

That is a very nice video. :). I really hope I don't go down that path when I'm older. :/

People with vascular dementia commonly remember the names of their loved ones, if they remain at all verbal. It's just that they don't recognize the faces in the old people that come visit them.

Of course, with Alzheimer's specifically, all bets are off.

terrisus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g

my grandma has dementia, op's video gives me the feels

Tesseract
Banned
image.php

I killed Euler?... =(

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I find this incredibly sad. Those moments of clarity are great... but they're surrounded by a lot of pain. Hopefully the person in OP isn't too bad.

Madness

I hate alzheimers and dementia. It would be one of the worst things to happen to me if I couldn't remember my friends, my loved ones, my memories.

It's sort of like the Blade Runner, "all those memories will be lost in time... Like tears in rain".

Clydefrog

sigh so bittersweet. i'm happy that they both got to have that experience together and that it is also on video for the daughter to remember. what a terrible disease :(

I hate alzheimers and dementia. It would be one of the worst things to happen to me if I couldn't remember my friends, my loved ones, my memories.

It's sort of like the Blade Runner, "all those memories will be lost in time... Like tears in rain".

I imagine it would be like if someone was to go up to me now and tell me the year was actually 2063 and that they were a grandchild and that my own parents/friends had passed away.

Lach

I imagine it would be like if someone was to go up to me now and tell me the year was actually 2063 and that they were a grandchild and that my own parents/friends had passed away.

I had a dream some weeks ago where I was with my grandchildren (I have neither children nor grandchildren). When my mind started to realize this might be a dream, my subconsious came up with the realization that I have dementia. It was a horrible realization and I almost cried when I woke up...

My mom has memory problems...mostly due to years of alcohol addiction...I don't know how I'd deal with it if she couldn't recognize me anymore...

My grandmother died last year at age 93. Her body may have gave out but her mind was still intact and I am so thankful for that.

StayDead

One of my grandads got dimentia before I was born and he passed away when I was only 5 years old but I remember weird stories about him and my mum always says how hard it was to know that her own Dad didn't know who she was anymore (although funnily enough he remembered my dad perfectly). Dimentia and Alzheimers are horrible, horrible diseases and my heart goes out to anyone suffering with or watching someone suffer it.

That video was really upsetting in a bittersweet way.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
My grandma's further gone than that, but she sometimes remembers my mom's name, at least. Doesn't remember us "kids" though, me and my siblings. Doesn't even remember her own husband, my grandfather (he died a long time ago though). :/

That's why it's hard for me to watch this video because even if it's a happy sight, it reminds me that it's only temporary and not necessarily a sign that she's getting better. Even minutes after that she probably doesn't remember her name again. If you catch it early, it's treatable, but if it's gone too far you can only watch them become less and less the person you knew and more and more a shell of a person until there's basically nothing left.

I apologize in advance since I had no intention to ruin anyone's mood with this post. I've just had too much first-hand experience with this condition to feel optimistic about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom