• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2x - Review thread

viveks86

Fantastic scores.

I can't wait to get so frustrated with this game but with the biggest smile on my face.

Loved the first one, know I'm gonna enjoy this one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bubububu...September PS+ is the worst EVER! Surely they could have given us a AAA title with a low 70's metacritic average instead of this indie junk.

Sarcasm obviously. Really excited for this game

Carl

Posting my thoughts from other thread in case anyone cares

My impressions.

It is by no means perfect but it is incredibly fun and addictive. The speed elements of the shmup sections transfer really well to the platforming and make me really want to see a full game like that. The story is actually pretty good and does a decent job of filling out the characters and giving them personality.

There are annoying parts. Throwing telepods is sometimes frustrating and fiddly and I'm not a big fan. Despite that, it still surpassed my expectations and it's my favourite game so far this year.

Can't wait. I can't believe they're giving this away on Plus. Would have bought it fo sho.

Yup, I love this whole releases straight to PS+ thing they've been doing. There are quite a few games that went straight to plus that I would have happily bought on release date.

Sir TapTap

I'll cross post this too:

Awright looks like the embargo is over, here's my let's play/30 minutes of gameplay footage. I promise I do not suck at the game or use a facecam..

My mini review:

Pros:
  • A proper story. Nothing amazing, but it's got some slick art and some fun dialog.
  • Difficult but forgiving gameplay; earning all golds and perfects is very hard, but just beating the game is very accessible. Dying is an extremely minor setback. No missable content.
  • Time limits for bronze are always 20 minutes or longer. Actual gameplay is generally 2-4 minutes per level though. You will not run out of time, but will get shameful, shameful bronze.
  • Gameplay exposes mechanics one by one with great tutorials (that you can disable after seeing once! Story can be skipped automatically too). You never feel in over your head.
  • Superb difficulty curve going from braindead to very hard with no two levels feeling like an uneven rise in difficulty. Don't judge the game too early as it gets a lot deeper, but never overwhelming. Focus is on mixing different play mechanics more than having a billion unique mechanics.
  • Platforming sections maintain the sense of speed perfectly and have their own fun mechanics like a 360 degree arm cannon you shoot.
  • Control improvements make Long Form Teleport much less painful (1 button return to last telepod)
  • The game warns you when you should deploy a telepod which makes the Long Form Teleport levels work reaction-based just like the rest of the game instead of stopping and looking at a map. LFTs are much less annoying in general.
  • Visuals are fantastic. Art style is great and well realized in gameplay and story sections.
  • Music is also great. You might want to check out the OST
  • Lots of extras to unlock, I still don't have 'em all. Some simple minigames sorta like in the first game.
  • BOSS FIGHTS. Very few, each very different, and very "velocity" in nature. Some are more puzzle than fight.
  • Looks and controls perfectly on PS4 or Vita.
  • Actual variety of levels, visually speaking, a new cosmetic environment every 10 levels-ish.
Cons:
  • There's a couple (literally two) Long Form Teleport maze levels I didn't really like. Neat level design but a bit bigger than I enjoy. I actually skipped them until beating the game; the XP level unlock system from Velocity Ultra is still intact btw.
  • Cross save doesn't automatically upload. Does auto download, and it exists, so it's better than nothing.
  • Remote play doesn't let you touch-teleport like you can on Vita. Game's great without touch teleport, but this would be a nice touch. (Get it.)
  • Throwing telepods in platforming sections is a bit iffy due to analog stick controls--sometimes I waste a second adjusting angle. Nothing big, but oddly imprecise compared to the rest of the game. Rarely an issue though.

Score: Amazing/10 just download it

Doesn't surprise me at all, Velocity Ultra was a fantastic game.

What surprises me is that it's on PS+ though. I was going to buy it anyway.

Top Bottom