• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: EU release pushed back to Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Jeez creeping up to almost a year and a half after it was released in NA now. Least looks like future titles won't have this issue.

deadfolk

Screw it, I'm out.

Now I'm seriously thinking of going US when I get the new LL. I'd be able to play Rune Factory 4, too.

well, this has been a runaway success

looking forward to seeing how low the price can go in the sales

lmao if they're expecting anyone to buy dlc after this debacle

Jisgsaw

Seeing the prices P4A is sold for in Europe, I don't think it sold very well.

Most of the blame went to Zen, not Atlus. Heck I even saw people accusing Zen of having imposed the region lock to Atlus.

When I say "got away", I mean people just didn't seem to care (or not for very long), or just accusing the publisher instead of Atlus.

The One Year And Three Month ROM Dump Fiasco.
I'm not sure what you are getting at here. eShop releases are not the same thing as making encrypted ROM dumps (btw, dumpers can't change title screens or do any editing as the games are encrypted*, craptros have not been seen for years).

For starters the eShop version doesn't save to a cartridge so that code is changed. The more relevant point is a working eShop version (that this release will be a derivative of) has existed on the US eShop for quite a while...

*-Apparently the games have unique identifiers in them too.

I still would like to know exactly why they couldn't do that for Australia at least.

Sure they would need to change the locked region, but Atlus shouldn't have a problem doing that.
NOE handle the Australian eShop so a game has to ready in Europe to come out. Unless it is Snapdots on DSi (great game btw) in which case that is the only Australia exclusive eShop release (not sure how that happened, I guess ACB fee had been paid so it made sense to, but the script is so tiny it wouldn't have taken NOE much to translate it).

Australia and Europe are the same region (even if they are separate regions for download codes), using parental controls European carts know ACB ratings and Australian carts know PEGI ratings for instance.

So any explanation to whoever was messing around with Europe's heart with the release date banner changes?

They say late October I'm betting it'll still be November...

Lyonaz

Ffs at this point they should just bundle it with Persona Q and by bundle I mean give it for free like bayonetta 1 free.

I will get it when it's on sale.

duckroll

So the issue is that Atlus is not able to find an editor (or maybe two) and keep it for all their PAL releases. How Bandai Namco do with Ninokuno, Tales of, Jojo ?

It has nothing to do with editing, it has to do with publishing. Atlus USA does not have a European presence and there is no real business interest for them to go out of their way to set one up.

Dr. Buni

I'm sorry for those who are still waiting for the game. I passed on it as soon as they announced a digital release only.
Don't get what is so bad about digital release.

Anyway, ATLUS recently have been doing shitty decisions after shitty decisions. I am not surprised by this at all.

wrowa

It has nothing to do with editing, it has to do with publishing. Atlus USA does not have a European presence and there is no real business interest for them to go out of their way to set one up.

I think "publisher" is "editeur" in French. That's why you often see posters who mistakenly write "editor" when they actually mean "publisher".

I have zero interest in this game unless I happen to pickup an American 3DS. I'm kind of ok with digital releases on the Vita, because Sony has done a decent job of allowing players to use their games on multiple platforms but Nintendo does the opposite.

Jisgsaw

NIS doesn't have a EU branch either, has arguably comparable target audience, and comparable ressources, yet they don't seem to trouble all that much when it comes to delay between US and PAL releases.

No, seeing how many publisher Atlus went threw, with always some noticeable delay, the problem really lies with them not planning at all the PAL release, which isn't (the planning) that expensive.
They should just plan this PAL release simultaneously with US release. And I don't say that only because I want their games faster, but also for them. By now I'm pretty sure they actually have to put more effort in these releases when they are doing them one year later than they would by just doing it while they are doing the US one, the employees haven moved on on other projects.

Saddest thing of all: Atlus' games target rather hardcore gamers, who are usually pretty informed about such things (which imo is why they were OK doing a e-shop only release, because the target audience would be aware of that, and the lack of exposition in e-shop wouldn't be too big a burden). Yet these hardcore gamers are also the ones that don't like being treated like shit, and being informed, they by now know that's what happening. Less hardcore gamers wouldn't even know the release date was delayed.
Hence sales are probably even worse than what they could be (I know I'm not the only one who boycotted P4A, even though I'd have bought it day one in 2012), while the effort needed by Atlus to publish (or making publish) their games is higher than what it could be if planned ahead. Which makes them regard Europe as not lucratif, and start all over again.

Evilmaus

So Persona 5 in 2018 for EU

Man don't even joke about that. I will literally import an American PS4 and copy of P5 if that ends up being the case.

With regards to SMT, this is the end of the line for me. I'm not buying it. No physical version and this absurd wait for it's release? Altus can go fuck themselves.

Zareka

Man don't even joke about that. I will literally import an American PS4 and copy of P5 if that ends up being the case.

With regards to SMT, this is the end of the line for me. I'm not buying it. No physical version and this absurd wait for it's release? Altus can go fuck themselves.

PS4 is region free yo so no worries about that.

I would still like a swift release of P5 in EU though.

krYlon

NIS doesn't have a EU branch either, has arguably comparable target audience, and comparable ressources, yet they don't seem to trouble all that much when it comes to delay between US and PAL releases.

Even tiny XSEED are pretty good at releasing digital titles in Europe. There's often a gap between US and EU but not that big.

Koppai

So you want them to release a broken game? Ok.
People talking about importing a US PS4 for Persona 5, it isn't region locked.

Also what is the big deal of digital release if thats the only way you can get it? Dual Destinies and AA Collection are both digital as well. We got Senran Kagura digitally in the US.

Dee Dee

Only plausible scenario that would explain this:

Sometime 2014 at Atlus.

"Man, that game is taking an awfully long time to get certified for PAL territories."
- "I know, right? When did you send it in again?"
"ME? Weren't YOU upposed to get this certified?"
- "Ah, shit."

To whoever caused this through sheer incompetence: You made a lot of people very sad, angry or frustrated by being bad at your job. Just saying.

Faustek

Right now, as always, I'm happy I bit the bullet and imported a few extra 3DS' so i could ignore it when my European region got analy screwed without preparation.

JohnLHardin
John Hardin · @JohnLHardin
3rd Sep 2014 from TwitLonger

SMTIV EU - An Update
After some unscheduled changes to the SMTIV mobile website raised some eyebrows, a lot of you asked for more details, so I’ll be upfront. We encountered a few last-minute issues specific to the EU version, and we have to fix them. Given the current timelines for production, it looks like SMTIV won’t be out in EU until late October.

No one likes delays. Our fans in Europe have been waiting for SMTIV for a *very* long time, and it pains us to have to move the release date back even further. I have talked to a few of you on Twitter, I’ve seen the angry posts on Reddit, NeoGAF, Facebook, etc., and wanted to be as direct as I could. We truly feel awful having to say “wait a little longer” for a game you've been so zealously patient for, but there is no other recourse. We’re doing everything we can to get the game out in Europe as fast as we can, so please bear with us.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s7o0h7

I appreciate the sentiment but man what a great way to say nothing :(

You know...we all consume media. Even domestic sites pick up on the US release dates and keep the free add campaign going for you...not taking advantage of a world wide hype is kinda dumb. Wouldn't surprise me if a coming Direct would ignore this release as well.

Nikokuno

My bad, I talked about publishing (mixing fr/en) but the problem is the same, they will release most of the in PAL land so they should be able to find one or two publishers and keep them to avoid the same awful scheme again and again.

Jisgsaw

Actually, I just checked on ******** (... yeah I know, but didn't have any other source).
According to them, the PS2 SMT-games did relatively well, doing something like the 2/3rd of US sales, which isn't anything to laugh at.
Only exception would be (again, according to them) Persona 4, but that came out in 2009 here, when the PS2 was effectively dead.

The DS game were not even given a chance, so there's no way to know if a handheld market is there for Atlus games.

Edit: Eh, that site is censored on GAF, didn't know lol. Good thing.

Faustek

I'd love to see a region-free apologist stumble in this thread...

You are like 50 threads to late.

Actually, I just checked on ******** (... yeah I know, but didn't have any other source).
According to them, the PS2 SMT-games did relatively well, doing something like the 2/3rd of US sales, which isn't anything to laugh at.
Only exception would be (again, according to them) Persona 4, but that came out in 2009 here, when the PS2 was effectively dead.

The DS game were not even given a chance, so there's no way to know if a handheld market is there for Atlus games.

Well most of these "niche" games are never given a chance here. On the PS2 we had a few region wide pushes that actually did well. But, everything Ghostlight...well they are small but have really good para-add-campaigns and great people, great CEs, overall great...heck if you ever meet anyone from Ghostlight/LJ buy them a beer.

Yadayada:
It's seriously time to motion the European commission to allow a region wide rating board so no one can use that as an excuse...Yeah and no one of my reps would care.

HomesIice

Looks like I can stop hoping for free DLC :( (((Sorry if old)))

tumblr_nbdljn7pIv1qjaiz1o1_500.png

Chakabah

Neo Member
All the DLC? Even the ones exclusives to GameStop or EB Games?

Also, it cost 18$ to buy all the DLC, do they really want to put them apart ou will they be free (and not put them in the game to save time)? Buying nearly the same price of the game in DLC sounds kinda ridiculous but, oh well.

I guess I will only buy the plot-related DLC then but erf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom