• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the musical score outclasses the game.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I liked the game, but the soundtrack was one of my favourite albums last year and the game doesn't quite achieve that level. Wonderful stuff.

Yep. Fuck this game disappointed me. But the music was catchy.

I feel as if there's a whole swathe of Sonic titles that can stake this claim from the first Adventure onward right up to arguably Lost World. I'll also agree with the people going with Nier, the game itself wasn't actually too bad but the soundtrack is easily the star of the show even if comes across as being spread too thin at times.

To go with something currently unmentioned, both de Blob games are rather ho-hum games but I wont miss an opportunity to big up their soundtracks, the music actually helps the playability of the game itself by being heavily linked into your actions and progression so it arguably elevates the game as well, plus it strikes a funky niche.
I always gravitate towards the same example but I can't help it since Euphoric is just that damn good.

Medal of Honor: European Assault: Just listen to this amazing stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-uWmgOm9g
I always like being reminded of this theme, a pretty forgettable game but damn that main theme is splendid.

Scrabble

I love Halo 2, but a large part why is the soundtrack. I know the campaign is a mess at times, but god damn is that soundtrack good.

yuraya

Agree with OP about Jesper Kyd.

Hitman Contracts comes to mind. Especially that Hong Kong underground piece. The game was good n all but that soundtrack was undoubtedly the highlight of the game.

I'll echo Chrono Cross. The game is excellent, but the OST is just mind blowing. Forget just video game music, it's some of the most beautiful music i've ever heard period.

Dunkley

Not sure if it counts as it is a Fan Game, but Sonic Before The Sequel and Sonic After The Sequel are both very mediocre games by the gameplay itself, but the music, especially in After The Sequel, puts most game soundtracks to complete shame.

Lasted a whole level before I caved in and got the OST.

MrBadger

Sonic thread?

Not sure if it counts as it is a Fan Game, but Sonic Before The Sequel and Sonic After The Sequel are both very mediocre games by the gameplay itself, but the music, especially in After The Sequel, puts most game soundtracks to complete shame.

Lasted a whole level before I caved in and got the OST.

I second this. The music in those games is great and really reminiscent of Sonic CD and Adventure. Very professional sounding for a fan made Sonic game. In my opinion, the games themselves are decent enough with some creative ideas here and there. As Sonic fan games go.

This is the best answer. I really liked Chrono Cross, the music however is just plain God Tier.

I'd say [Mega Man X3] for my choice. Not the best X game by far, but the music puts most of the others to shame.

I haven't played X3 yet, but I don't know man, the music in the original X is pretty damn good. To this day, the first 15 or so seconds of the "Sigma Stage 1" theme sends chills down my spine. So good.

Nier's music outclasses a lot of games. I would buy the game just so I can walk up to that girl on the fountain playing her music. Thats how good it is

SegaShack

Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic 2006
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Lost World

Super Castlevania IV. Pretty nice soundtrack, really mediocre Castlevania.

What? That game is awesome.

Star Fox Assault has a sound track that sounds like it belongs on a much larger and more epic space adventure than that game. Amazing, orchestrated remixes of SNES and N64 classic tunes with a few really good new songs.

Assault wasn't a bad game, but it had the soundtrack for a much better game.

Very good choice. I had forgotten about this one but you are totally right.

M76

Banned
Hyperblade

Got the game as a bundle for a video card, I never actually played the game, but regularly listened to the soundtrack on my stereo.

Cyberia

I loved the game, but it was basically just a rolling demo.

MechWarrior II

I never could like this game, Earthsiege II was my choice, but the soundtrack rocked.

International Rally

It didn't live up to its predecessor, too arcady, and worse track design, but the soundtrack is one of the best.

DrKelpo

Banned
Super Castlevania IV. Pretty nice soundtrack, really mediocre Castlevania.

jpyTI.gif

Chrono Cross, certainly. I wouldn't argue with anyone that thinks it's the greatest videogame soundtrack of all time; I may have some higher personal favorites, but yeah that's nothing I would argue with. The game is really good for the first half but when you
become Lynx
I really couldn't relate with that shit. Still a very good game overall, but the soundtrack is on another level.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Deus Ex HR

The game itself is good, yet flawed

The soundtrack on the other hand is truly mesmerizing
I kind of agree but I feel that the game is great, but the soundtrack is one of the things that makes it one of my all time favorite games.
My favorite tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3-BG2esnK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeLNG8n-VfQ

Fav one: from the Yelena Fedorova boss fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxCR-F4ST68

Love this one too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szk09yDYVIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-5eImsVEs

Flarin

468px-Ff8_art.jpg

I know the game gets a lot of shit, but I personally think it's pretty good.
However, I'll always remember VIII for its soundtrack. SO many memorable tracks. Used to listen to select tracks from this game to help me sleep back in college. One of Uematu's finest works.

A big part of why I love the first Mass Effect is the great soundtrack as it really helped build the atmosphere more than anything else in that game. The gameplay is meh, so I can say that the soundtrack outclasses the game.

Top Bottom