• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 versus Street Fighter Alpha 3

petran79

Banned
Well, if you own the original arcade board and dump it yourself, there's no problem with GGPO
Not everyone has an arcade board

Alpha 3 is what I know, so I'll go with that. Never got to play much of Alpha 2.

at least SNK games on GGPO can be played from home version if you modify the BIOS

Vercimber

Street Figheter Alpha 2 always felt tighter to me. There was a brashness to Alpha 3 I didn't enjoy as much--it was too "loud." I do love the Alpha Anthology for PS2, but my heart belongs to the Saturn version of Alpha 2. It was simply a delight to play--one of the best Street Fighter games (and second only to Third Strike).

entremet

Well, if you own the original arcade board and dump it yourself, there's no problem with GGPO
Not everyone has an arcade board

Alpha 3 is what I know, so I'll go with that. Never got to play much of Alpha 2.

I heard CPSII boards have a kill switch. Sucks for collectors. I think that was done to prevent piracy but because of it the board themselves won't work after a certain time.

Codiox

Semi-offtopic: How is the alpha 3 max psp port on the Vita? I'm really looking for some street fighter on the go. (already have SFxT)

cj_iwakura

Street Figheter Alpha 2 always felt tighter to me. There was a brashness to Alpha 3 I didn't enjoy as much--it was too "loud." I do love the Alpha Anthology for PS2, but my heart belongs to the Saturn version of Alpha 2. It was simply a delight to play--one of the best Street Fighter games (and second only to Third Strike).

The Saturn version has that art gallery, too.
(Still have my version.)

Skilletor

I'm sure Alpha 3 is the better game, objectively speaking, but nothing will beat the memories I have with 2. None of my friends at the time played fighting games, so I remember spending countless hours playing against the CPU with that Saturn pad. I was never good enough to care about the ways in which it may have been broken.

Curiouser and curiouser, lol.

Tunin

Alpha 2. One of the last purple oriented pallete games made by Capcom, not to mention it's quality, it's astonishing.
From the sprites to the posters, everything was well thought back then.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So the consensus is that Alpha 2 is still better and more balanced than Alpha 2 Gold? I only have the latter for the Saturn as part of the SF Collection. I may track down an import Alpha 2 now since it's so cheap.

alstein

So the consensus is that Alpha 2 is still better and more balanced than Alpha 2 Gold? I only have the latter for the Saturn as part of the SF Collection. I may track down an import Alpha 2 now since it's so cheap.

A2G fixed Vallecombos, but added some unneeded nerfs to mid-tier and lower characters.

kess

The Saturn version has that art gallery, too.
(Still have my version.)

I still think it's funny that GamePro rated the Saturn version lower than the PS version because of some bullshit reason. Gamefan did something similar over Alpha's so called "blue shadow" transparencies.

entremet

I still think it's funny that GamePro rated the Saturn version lower than the PS version because of some bullshit reason. Gamefan did something similar over Alpha's so called "blue shadow" transparencies.

The funny part of about Gamefan's blue shadow's thing, was that it was due to them playing the game with the arranged soundtrack. If you pick original you'll get the blue shadows.

The reason they didn't notice this was that their capture screen system didn't need audio, so they never messed with the settings.

Newboi

I'm a bigger fan of Alpha 3 purely because of fun factor...and I thought Guy and Gen were much more fun to use in Alpha 3 as well (my two mains).

I do have a question for any tournament vets, or people familiar with the Japanese tournament scene; why didn't Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper ever catch on in popularity in the Japanese arcade tournament scene? I only ever see arcade tournaments for SFZ3 and not SFZ3U. For those who aren't familiar, SFZU was the Naomi based arcade version of SF3 with the console character additions (the Super Street fighter cast).

alstein

I'm a bigger fan of Alpha 3 purely because of fun factor...and I thought Guy and Gen were much more fun to use in Alpha 3 as well (my two mains).

I do have a question for any tournament vets, or people familiar with the Japanese tournament scene; why didn't Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper ever catch on in popularity in the Japanese arcade tournament scene? I only ever see arcade tournaments for SFZ3 and not SFZ3U. For those who aren't familiar, SFZU was the Naomi based arcade version of SF3 with the console character additions (the Super Street fighter cast).

Some folks didn't like the balance changes, though A3 needed its system changes more than A2 did.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Its not difficult for me to choose at all, Alpha 2 any day. Presentation matters a lot to me and I find Alpha 3's gui, announcer, etc to be garish. Also I didn't like the gameplay and system changes they made in 3. Perfect SF game for me would be Alpha 3's roster in Alpha 2.

Dachande

I love Alpha 3 because it has Karin (who has been left on the side of the road ever since, fucking Capcom), but I can't deny the tightness and classic feel of Alpha 2 probably does make it the better game.

The fast pace of Alpha 3 is still really fun though.

mitx

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this but here it goes..

I was craving some Street Fighter on my Vita so decided to purchase Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max. The thing is, i can't find it. Alpha 1 and 2 are there but Alpha 3 Max got taken down from the EU store?

Would it be okay to create a new topic for a possible Street Fighter Alpha collection wishes and whether a petition should be created, or is it better to post things like that in this topic?

Haldinian

Alpha 3. I really like the Final Fight guys, especially Cody.

The only thing I miss of Alpha 2 are the original music themes of Ken, Sakura and Dan.

I love Alpha 3 because it has Karin (who has been left on the side of the road ever since, fucking Capcom), but I can't deny the tightness and classic feel of Alpha 2 probably does make it the better game.

The fast pace of Alpha 3 is still really fun though.

This right here. I want Karin back. Love Alpha 2 as a whole though, enough that I own the CPS2 board.

Tizoc

So sorry for bumping this thread but it was the latest one that discussed SFA3 =X

Anyways for those that post about how hectics A3 is and of its gamplay issues, could someone post a summary/breakdown of the negatives of SFA3's gameplay system?
One thing I'm really curious about is why they gutted projectiles; why do they do barely any damage if launched from long range for?

Also a reminder of what crazy shit you can do in SFA3 using V-ISM
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ABACD90D0F307BE

They're old videos but still viable if you ever play the arcade ver.

Alpha 3 was the first Street Fighter I really got into. I played a ton of it on the surprisingly amazing Game Advance game.

R. Mika is my favorite Street Fighter characters and Karen is awesome too.

Alpha 3 is only unbalanced and messy to comp/top tier players. If you aren't into that category, it's a hell lot of a fun and in a lot of a ways superior experience than Alpha 2. I personally prefer Alpha 3, because I don't consider myself a comp player and play mostly for fun. Alpha 3's character roster and combat system makes the day.

petghost

Banned
I think this thread made me realize that I don't really care for alpha games. The basic sf shit they do is not as interesting as st and the new mechanics they added were kinda lame. if I was playing capcom fighting games at that time I'd probably pick vampire hunter over alpha or alpha 2.

Art style is dope tho

lupinko

Which version of Alpha 3 is it?

It has all the versions prior to the injection of Yun, Ingrid, Eagle and Maki.

The PS2 Alpha Collection is best and is perfect mainly because it was not only done in house but Capcom even gave us access to the dip switches that allow for the perfect arcade port.

But this is all super technical for the average or casual gamer, but yes the PS2 is the best version of any of the games not counting the original arcade versions on Capcom's CPS2 board.

Seik

Banned
Still playing my Saturn copy of Street Fighter Zero 3, it is the best to me, even if A2 was my first SF experience.

Mega roster, World Tour mode, it is the shit.

Still playing my Saturn copy of Street Fighter Zero 3, it is the best to me, even if A2 was my first SF experience.

Mega roster, World Tour mode, it is the shit.

Yep, Zero 3 on Saturn probably got more use than any other fighting game on the system for me!

Xav

Stree Fighter Alpha 2: More balanced gameplay.

Street Fighter Alpha 3: Better roster, World Tour mode and the best announcer ever.

Winner: Alpha 3

... even though it's kind of broken but I'm not a tournament level player anyway.

Alpha 2 is better
karin-match2.gif

but Alpha 3 has Karin
karin-match3.gif

so lets call it a draw
karin-match9.gif

karin-sfa3-string5.gif
karin-sfa3-super2.gif

I played way more Alpha 2 because I kind of dropped off playing arcades by the time A3 came out and only picked it up on console later on. Alpha 2 had some great music, I pick it just for that alone.

Alpha 2 has the amazing Ryu & Ken vs Akuma mode
Alpha 3 has the fun RPG mode and a complete roster

I'm gonna go Alpha 3 personally.

Chun's best theme. Recognize.

I did notice that Birdie was laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame in 3, though. Luckily for me X-ism Dhalsim was top tier, and Honda was real fun too.

Seyavesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJu2ayRtbA#t=47m55s

a3 in a nutshell
i like the part where they just start jumping around due to both antiairs being hot garbage and random vism being a huge threat

a2 is pretty stupid too because CC crush and alpha counters but at the very least the core design is still super strong so the game feels really really good unlike a3 which feels like playing a barely competent mugen compilation game

Top Bottom