• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(09-06-2014, 12:49 PM)
duckroll's Avatar
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardwa...pad/index.html

Posted this on the Media Create thread, but it's probably worth a thread. So yeah, if you play Smash 3DS on a New 3DS, you get to use the full expanded control options, like using the C-stick to smash. But if you're playing it on the normal 3DS and hope to use the same control scheme on the Circle Pad Pro, you're out of luck. Nintendo has specifically stated on the support page for the CPP that Smash 3DS will -not- support the peripheral. Nintendo just gave a huge middle finger to anyone who supported that add-on. Lol.
Nibel
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:51 PM)
Nibel's Avatar
Damn, that sucks. One way to convince some to buy a N3DS.
Rich!
If this is a retro/homebrew thread, I'm a helpful poster.

If not, I'm either angry about something minor or ranting about how much GAF sucks because everyone is angry all the time.

This tag will disappear when it is no longer true.
(09-06-2014, 12:51 PM)
Rich!'s Avatar
DSi level upgrade my ass.

It's a Game Boy Color situation, and Nintendo are going to do everything they can to ensure that is the case and that people upgrade for the extra benefits, whether people agree with it or not.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(09-06-2014, 12:52 PM)
Mpl90's Avatar
Yeeeah, that's lame.
ShogunDarius
(09-06-2014, 12:52 PM)
ShogunDarius's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardwa...pad/index.html

Posted this on the Media Create thread, but it's probably worth a thread. So yeah, if you play Smash 3DS on a New 3DS, you get to use the full expanded control options, like using the C-stick to smash. But if you're playing it on the normal 3DS and hope to use the same control scheme on the Circle Pad Pro, you're out of luck. Nintendo has specifically stated on the support page for the CPP that Smash 3DS will -not- support the peripheral. Nintendo just gave a huge middle finger to anyone who supported that add-on. Lol.

first time i've ever actually shouted "What"
Chao
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:52 PM)
Chao's Avatar
Another reason to hate the frankenstick I guess
Mihael Mello Keehl
(09-06-2014, 12:52 PM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar
Really really stupid. But the ccp aint a c-stick so I guess thats the excuse.
Mauricio_Magus
Banned
(09-06-2014, 12:52 PM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar
I wanted Circle Pad Pro support because that would save my hands from dying, MH3U is really comfortable when I'm using a CPP.

I'm upgrading day one to the New3DS anyways, but damn that's lame.
SliceSabre
Catgirls in skimpy clothes aren't sexual, it's their made up MMO culture
(09-06-2014, 12:53 PM)
SliceSabre's Avatar
Why every time I hear bad news on things I like you are the one posting it duckroll?

Why do you hate me?

Damn, and I was actually considering a circle pad too.
Samurai_Heart
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:53 PM)
Samurai_Heart's Avatar
That's weird, wonder what reason it won't work for Smash, even though it seems all the past CPP compatible games are on the list as well.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(09-06-2014, 12:54 PM)
Mpl90's Avatar
Just for sheer curiosity, at this point, do we know how many Circle Pad Pro have been sold in Japan? IIRC, the number is not that big in the West, but it should be much better in Japan.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(09-06-2014, 12:54 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

I wanted Circle Pad Pro support because that would save my hands from dying.

Yeah I think some people prefer the expanded layout since it feels more like a game controller and is less cramped. It's puzzling that it isn't an option at all.

Originally Posted by SliceSabre

Why every time I hear bad news on things I like you are the one posting it duckroll?

Why do you hate me?

Damn, and I was actually considering a circle pad too.

I don't know. I guess the conclusion is that I'm a terrible person? :(
kirblar
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:54 PM)
kirblar's Avatar
Seems to basically confirm the rumors that they were supposed to launch together.
Ban Puncher
Banned
(09-06-2014, 12:55 PM)
Zalman
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:55 PM)
Zalman's Avatar
Seems like something that would be easy to patch if people make some noise about it. I don't care personally, but it should definitely support it.
Pinko Marx
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:55 PM)
Pinko Marx's Avatar
Pretty scummy of Nintendo.
Kaybe
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:56 PM)
Do we know if the new "C-stick" and ZL/ZR will be usable in Circle Pad Pro games such as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations etc?
I've only seen Monster Hunter 4G use it and it's New 3DS enhanced I believe.
Last edited by Kaybe; 09-06-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Sparrowhawk
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:56 PM)
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
What has Nintendo been smoking recently? Would it really be that difficult to allow use of your own proprietary accessory?
DICKS AHOY
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:57 PM)
DICKS AHOY's Avatar
Does the New 3DS have enough RAM to support the Ice Climbers?
suavelicious
Member
(09-06-2014, 12:59 PM)
suavelicious's Avatar
Why? Is there any technological reason? It should be possible to interpret the input from the circle pad in the same way as the input from the c-stick.
Storm Kyleis
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:00 PM)
Storm Kyleis's Avatar
What. Why?
Ulthwe
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:00 PM)
Ulthwe's Avatar
Could it have something to do with the CCP covering (and using) the IR port? It's needed for the Amiibo stand, which Smash will be using in some way.
SliceSabre
Catgirls in skimpy clothes aren't sexual, it's their made up MMO culture
(09-06-2014, 01:01 PM)
SliceSabre's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

Yeah I think some people prefer the expanded layout since it feels more like a game controller and is less cramped. It's puzzling that it isn't an option at all.



I don't know. I guess the conclusion is that I'm a terrible person? :(

Your words not mine!

But seriously, what the hell man. It just seems so obvious for them to support Smash with this. I mean they're backing that adapter to make the GC controller usable with a WiiU basically for this game, why are they half assing this?

Originally Posted by DICKS AHOY

Does the New 3DS have enough RAM to support the Ice Climbers?

They still have a chance!
Bomber Bob
Banned
(09-06-2014, 01:01 PM)
Bomber Bob's Avatar
I bet they removed circle pad pro support from the final game
Nibel
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:02 PM)
Nibel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ulthwe

Could it have something to do with the CCP covering (and using) the IR port? It's needed for the Amiibo stand, which Smash will be using in some way.

Mhm, that would make sense. Usually Sakurai tries to give players a huge range of options when it comes to controls and input devices.
Percy
Banned
(09-06-2014, 01:02 PM)
That's just bullshit. Total dick move on Ninty's part.
bobawesome
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:03 PM)
bobawesome's Avatar
I've come to expect these things from Nintendo.
axisofweevils
Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
(09-06-2014, 01:04 PM)
axisofweevils's Avatar
I guess this means that Nintendo never officially supported dual sticks in any first party 3DS game. (Kid Icarus used it but only as a left handed replacement, and you still couldn't use both sticks simultaneously.)
Adaren
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:04 PM)
Adaren's Avatar
I'm okay with this. The C-stick is an undeniably faster way to Smash, I don't want people to have an advantage based on the hardware they're using to play the game.

EDIT: Misread nevermind. The situation is literally the exact opposite of my post.
Roboleon
Don't fear god, Don't worry about death; What is good is easy to get, and what is terrible is easy to endure
(09-06-2014, 01:04 PM)
Roboleon's Avatar
Don't shoot the messenger. This is a mind boggling decision, but boy aren't we used to it by now?


I think I'm going to wait for Wii U version anyway, I can't imagine the control scheme will be anywhere near as good on the 3DS regardless
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(09-06-2014, 01:06 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kaybe

Do we know if the new "C-stick" will be usable in Circle Pad Pro games such as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations etc?
I've only seen Monster Hunter 4G use it and it's New 3DS enhanced I believe.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/new/features/index.html

別売の「拡張スライドパッド」で実現していた操作が本体に内蔵され、さまざまなゲームでプレイスタイルの幅が広がります。

It specifically says that the control options which the CPP offered as an add-on are built into the system now, allowing for expanded controls in various games. So yes, it should be backwards compatible. After all, Nintendo wants to sell more New 3DS units, but they don't seem to care about supporting the old stuff anymore.
AntiFacebook
Banned
(09-06-2014, 01:06 PM)
Why would you need a second analog in a game like smash anyway? There's no camera to control...
reptilescorpio
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:07 PM)
reptilescorpio's Avatar
Why wouldn't the CPP work? I'm interested in why they say it won't work.
Roboleon
Don't fear god, Don't worry about death; What is good is easy to get, and what is terrible is easy to endure
(09-06-2014, 01:07 PM)
Roboleon's Avatar

Originally Posted by AntiFacebook

Why would you need a second analog in a game like smash anyway? There's no camera to control...

TO SMASH
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(09-06-2014, 01:07 PM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by AntiFacebook

Why would you need a second analog in a game like smash anyway? There's no camera to control...

Flicking directions led to an easy way to get a smash out.

Pretty dumb for them to not have it work when the functionality is there.
Tempy
don't ask me for codes
(09-06-2014, 01:08 PM)
Tempy's Avatar
That's a bit surprising. Does the C-stick do more than the CPP?

To be honest, even though I have the CPP, I never did really use it, and this isn't going to influence my decision to get a New(tm) 3DS.
Devil
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:08 PM)
Devil's Avatar

Originally Posted by AntiFacebook

Why would you need a second analog in a game like smash anyway? There's no camera to control...

Wut? The C-Stick was very frequently used in the last two games.. It can be used for instant Smash-Attacks and aerials.
ArkhamFantasy
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:09 PM)
ArkhamFantasy's Avatar
1.Make a console that lacks an absolutely crucial control mechanism that is required for almost any 3D games.
2.Release an overpriced accessory to add the missing mechanism.
3.Do not support the accessory.
4.Make a new model of the handheld that includes a half assed attempt at it so desperate fans will buy another one.

Does this sound about right? They dont have enough Nintendo fans anymore so the Nintendo fans they do have get the shit milked out of them.
Mihael Mello Keehl
(09-06-2014, 01:09 PM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roboleon

Don't shoot the messenger. This is a mind boggling decision, but boy aren't we used to it by now?


I think I'm going to wait for Wii U version anyway, I can't imagine the control scheme will be anywhere near as good on the 3DS regardless

Agreed about the second part, Getting the 3DS one just cause, but i cannot imagine how painful my hands will be cramping after 2-3 good games
flohen95
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:09 PM)
flohen95's Avatar

Originally Posted by richisawesome

DSi level upgrade my ass.

It's a Game Boy Color situation, and Nintendo are going to do everything they can to ensure that is the case and that people upgrade for the extra benefits, whether people agree with it or not.

Yeah, I've been thinking that this will be a GBC-style stopgap, too. DSi had almost no exclusive games, n3DS launches with one. And now this, too.

It's not a problem to me though, since I'll upgrade anyway.
munchie64
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:09 PM)
munchie64's Avatar
Supersah's gonna be pissed.
Atmej
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:12 PM)
Atmej's Avatar
A slap in the face to everyone who bought the CPP.
Seven Force
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:13 PM)
Seven Force's Avatar

Originally Posted by DICKS AHOY

Does the New 3DS have enough RAM to support the Ice Climbers?

Could you imagine if Ice Climbers was made into n3DS exclusive DLC? :lol
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:13 PM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar
It's a weird decision for sure... though, honestly, I don't see how it will affect me negatively that much. It would have been great to be able to use the second circle pad as a way to get quick smashes and the extra buttons for added functions, but meh. It doesn't break the game for me. And I'll still use my 3DS XL inside the CCP, even if it doesn't work, just for the much better ergonomics.
hemo memo
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:13 PM)
hemo memo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Atmej

A slap in the face to everyone who bought the CPP.

And 3DS
Hot Coldman
Sonic's brother and sister are NOT canon
(09-06-2014, 01:14 PM)
Hot Coldman's Avatar
I have no sympathy for C-stickers.
Papercuts
fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
(09-06-2014, 01:15 PM)
Papercuts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seven Force

Could you imagine if Ice Climbers was made into n3DS exclusive DLC? :lol

If it's actually some technical hurdle that wouldn't work as it still needs to be compatible with other 3DS players.
Seven Force
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:17 PM)
Seven Force's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papercuts

If it's actually some technical hurdle that wouldn't work as it still needs to be compatible with other 3DS players.

Ah yeah, that's true.
hamchan
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:17 PM)
hamchan's Avatar
That's pretty bullshit from them.
The Boat
Member
(09-06-2014, 01:17 PM)
The Boat's Avatar
That's stupid, patch it in Nintendo.

Thread Tools