• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Interesting.. the more time goes on, the better the reviews (in general) are getting.

I wonder if it'll get back up in the 80s on Metacritic by weeks end, if the Raid is ridiculously good.. who knows.

Heroman

Banned
Interesting.. the more time goes on, the better the reviews (in general) are getting.

I wonder if it'll get back up in the 80s on Metacritic by weeks end, if the Raid is ridiculously good.. who knows.

I doubt the raid is going to make this game right now. As of right most of player cant even do it and I doubt it will be anything diffrent from strike expect for more bullet sponge bosses

HowZatOZ

Banned
Our review (AusGamers) has just gone live, and agree with common consensus that what the game has to offer is good, but is lacking in some aspects. I'm not quite in agreeance that we should just hold out hope the expansions fill the gap, but I do agree that Destiny is fun for what it is.
As a persistent online shooter with fantastic combat, great AI and visual vistas to die for, it’s a winner. If you like your settings both sci-fi and fantasy-based, like some 80s rock opera, you’re going to bite into it here (the lore based on the Moon is fantastic, in my opinion). And if you thoroughly enjoy rewarding cooperative play with friends while facing crazy, giant bosses or just riding around together on different planets on your speederbike, Destiny more than delivers.
Full review over here [8.8/10]

BigDug13

This game is disappointing, but its not terrible. I think scores under 7 are harsh/hyperbolic IMHO

I think the pedigree of a developer sets up expectations. If Naughty Dog delivered this uninspired of a storyline in their next Uncharted game and had baffling mechanics decisions and artificially inflated endgame built around grinding, they would be equally slammed because people wouldn't expect that out of Naughty Dog. People expected more out of Bungie and they failed to deliver a compelling experience on the level of their greats in the past.

Vire

I think it's kind of pathetic that Watch Dogs has a higher metascore than this game, but to each his own.

dcelw540

Haven't really followed DSPGaming in a long time (grew tired of watching him for some reason). But he just reviewed Destiny so I thought I'd just put it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NJeTmroMY

Needless to say, he REALLY didn't like the game. Basically slams Bungie and Destiny at the end.

4.5/10

Ya just watched it, if its one thing he's good at is backing up his facts. It's really true how bungie offered us so much but couldn't deliver.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'm really wondering if I should trade it in now, I just got to Venus and have absolutely no desire to continue.

HTupolev

Ya just watched it, if its one thing he's good at is backing up his facts.
Really? I'm eight minutes in, and he's spouted all kinds of bizarre nonsense. I was pretty stunned when he claimed that Reach (not just ODST) was practically a Halo 3 expansion. But he's just spent several minutes chewing Bungie out for marketing Destiny as "an MMO", evidently unaware that the marketing has been very specifically avoiding calling it that.

Surface of Me

Venus is where it gets a bit more fun campaign-wise at least.

The Moon strike really left me dry, so poorly designed. I understand that they wanted you to be jumping around in it, but the boss can aim at me faster than my jet pack allows me to fly through the air...

Really? I'm eight minutes in, and he's spouted all kinds of bizarre nonsense. I was pretty stunned when he claimed that Reach (not just ODST) was practically a Halo 3 expansion. But he's just spent several minutes chewing Bungie out for marketing Destiny as "an MMO", evidently unaware that the marketing has been very specifically avoiding calling it that.

They've specifically avoided saying the words "Destiny is an MMO" in sequence, but they haven't been shy about implying it all over the place.

dcelw540

He soon gets into talking about how they promised i'll be a huge game and the story is amazing, to the point its actually on the back and rips on it.

HTupolev

They've specifically avoided saying the words "Destiny is an MMO" in sequence, but they haven't been shy about implying it all over the place.
That's not what it looks like from where I'm standing. The way they've reacted to the phrase "MMO" makes it feel like they're trying to distance Destiny's experience from "that type of game." That the general perception still landed in the "MMO" ballpark seems more due to derisive responsive from the masses making fun of how Bungie was (poorly) trying to describe the game otherwise.

Armaros

That's not what it looks like from where I'm standing. The way they've reacted to the phrase "MMO" makes it feel like they're trying to distance Destiny's experience from "that type of game." That the general perception still landed in the "MMO" ballpark seems more due to derisive responsive from the masses making fun of how Bungie was (poorly) trying to describe the game otherwise.

They kept trying to distance themselves from the MMO label.

But decided to add the worst of MMO mechanics and tropes and none of the good parts.

MormaPope

Banned
Haven't really followed DSPGaming in a long time (grew tired of watching him for some reason). But he just reviewed Destiny so I thought I'd just put it here.

Needless to say, he REALLY didn't like the game. Basically slams Bungie and Destiny at the end.

4.5/10

Ya just watched it, if its one thing he's good at is backing up his facts. It's really true how bungie offered us so much but couldn't deliver.

I gotta watch this now, DSP is usually off the mark when it comes to most things. He was spot on about Five Nights at Freddy's recently though.

Mogwai

I think it's kind of pathetic that Watch Dogs has a higher metascore than this game, but to each his own.
Destiny is now on 77 which equals Watch Dogs on PC. Last time I checked, Destiny was 75. Is that Bungie's damage control kicking in?

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow... I just beat Phogoth yesterday and it was amazing, one of my favorite gaming moments of the year. We were close to losing it more than a few times and pulled through it anyway, it was great.

i'm not trying to be mean and undermine your opinion but

really, yo?

one of your FAVORITE gaming moments of the YEAR?

shooting a bullet sponge boss? was one of your favorite gaming moments of the year?

that just doesn't even come close to clicking in my head for me. i'm not sure i'd understand even if you explained it. I got bored 3 minutes into the fight after I realized there were no mechanics beyond "shoot adds and shoot his weak point", just like every other boss in this game

Bsigg12

4.5/10

Not one punch pulled and went straight for the knockout, wow. Best part is he backed everything he said rather than just ripping apart the game to rip it apart.

4.5/10

31:45 onward. No Mercy.

No mercy required imo and he's absolutely right about game companies plunging millions inton advertising for games that don't even try to deliver.

Siegmeyer

i'm not trying to be mean and undermine your opinion but

really, yo?

one of your FAVORITE gaming moments of the YEAR?

shooting a bullet sponge boss? was one of your favorite gaming moments of the year?

that just doesn't even come close to clicking in my head for me. i'm not sure i'd understand even if you explained it. I got bored 3 minutes into the fight after I realized there were no mechanics beyond "shoot adds and shoot his weak point", just like every other boss in this game

Yeah, the Phogoth fight was where I realised this was not a game I would be playing for months. I seriously doubted I would still be playing in a week, so traded it in the next day. It was one of the least enjoyable boss fights I've ever experienced.

Sai-kun

Banned
the last 3 minutes of that video are cringeworthy. like, i don't disagree that the game is lacking content, but nobody's getting locked out of raids for not reaching level 26, and having level 5 raids sounds awful. they're high level content. period. there's nothing wrong with that. WoW has been doing it for almost 10 years.

BigDug13

the last 3 minutes of that video are cringeworthy. like, i don't disagree that the game is lacking content, but nobody's getting locked out of raids for not reaching level 26, and having level 5 raids sounds awful. they're high level content. period. there's nothing wrong with that. WoW has been doing it for almost 10 years.

WoW has stuff to do at max level outside of raids. WoW had a metric asston of content even in Beta compared to retail Destiny. And that is per faction. Whole entire different zones and quests and at launch, faction specific classes (shaman horde and paladin alliance). I played WoW during Beta and played for hours and hours and didn't even scratch the surface of the total content.

Not sure how WoW is even a point of comparison with this game, even at launch.

4.5/10

I like the rant he goes on about the Grimoire stuff on the website. "It should be in the fucking game! I didn't pay $60 to go to some fucking website to read the story!"
KuGsj.gif

Seems like a reasonable request to me. I can't help but think it is just a cynical way for Bungie to get you signed up on their mailing list.

4.5/10

Just watched the very first 5 minutes and he made two big mistakes: Reach wasn't an expansion sold separatly. WTF? And then he say that Bungie said that Destiny was going to be an MMO. Totally wrong.

Edit: And now he is ranting for about 5 minutes why is not an MMO despite Bungie and Activision sell it like one. wtf?

Just finished the video. Uhhg how someone could find this review any good? Is painfully misinformed ranting over and over again why is not an MMO when Bungie said that is not an MMO. Destiny have a lot of problems but almost every complain in that doesn't apply correctly,

dex3108

I have feeling that Destiny is like meal in expensive restaurant. It looks amazing and tastes great, costs significantly but after you finish it you are still hungry. And if you want more you need to pay more.

Sai-kun

Banned
WoW has stuff to do at max level outside of raids. WoW had a metric asston of content even in Beta compared to retail Destiny. And that is per faction. Whole entire different zones and quests and at launch, faction specific classes (shaman horde and paladin alliance). I played WoW during Beta and played for hours and hours and didn't even scratch the surface of the total content.

Not sure how WoW is even a point of comparison with this game, even at launch.

I...was talking about raids specifically, and how they're created as max-level content. Which the dude in the video didn't seem to grasp. Not even talking about all the other content WoW has and Destiny doesn't, which I am pretty aware of, having played the game for like 10 years now :p

Armaros

I...was talking about raids specifically, and how they're created as max-level content. Which the dude in the video didn't seem to grasp. Not even talking about all the other content WoW has and Destiny doesn't, which I am pretty aware of, having played the game for like 10 years now :p

At this point, we dont even know if Bungie has learned from the 15+ years of MMO raid content to do a 'raid' justice.

They haven't done any other features derived from MMOs any justice so far.

BigDug13

Ah, gotcha. (I didn't play as long. Played in Beta and for a couple years after.)

Surface of Me

I have feeling that Destiny is like meal in expensive restaurant. It looks amazing and tastes great, costs significantly but after you finish it you are still hungry. And if you want more you need to pay more.

It's actually like a three course meal where all three courses are the same food. When you ask when the new food comes, the waiter leans down and whispers into your ear, "After 20 hours you'll understand".

Sai-kun

Banned
At this point, we dont even know if Bungie has learned from the 15+ years of MMO raid content to do a 'raid' justice.

They haven't done any other features derived from MMOs any justice so far.

Agreed. The bullet sponge bosses don't give me hope.

Ah, gotcha. (I didn't play as long. Played in Beta and for a couple years after.)

That's cool, just wanted to make sure my little disagreement with the vid was clear. It's all good :)

It's actually like a three course meal where all three courses are the same food. When you ask when the new food comes, the waiter leans down and whispers into your ear, "After 20 hours you'll understand".

im weak

Just watched the very first 5 minutes and he made two big mistakes: Reach wasn't an expansion sold separatly. WTF? And then he say that Bungie said that Destiny was going to be an MMO. Totally wrong.

Edit: And now he is ranting for about 5 minutes why is not an MMO despite Bungie and Activision sell it like one. wtf?

Just finished the video. Uhhg how someone could find this review any good? Is painfully misinformed ranting over and over again why is not an MMO when Bungie said that is not an MMO. Destiny have a lot of problems but almost every complain in that doesn't apply correctly,
I think he said that about Reach in joking derogatory manner, not literally.

MormaPope

Banned

His criticism over gameplay is backed up and ranted on pretty well. Everything else he's sorta misinformed about.

Armaros

Agreed. The bullet sponge bosses don't give me hope.

Its frightening how much hope people are putting on that one raid. (Is if a whole raid wing like in WoW even? Or is it just one boss?)

'Good' MMO raid content is not something you just up and make on the fly, and released it so sortly after launch instead of getting the game out when its ready just seems wierd in itself imo.

Its frightening how much hope people are putting on that one raid. (Is if a whole raid wing like in WoW even? Or is it just one boss?)

'Good' MMO raid content is not something you just up and make on the fly, and released it so sortly after launch instead of getting the game out when its ready just seems wierd in itself imo.

According to bungie themselves, they brought in experienced players who attempted to beat it for over 10 hours and couldn't even do it.

The reactions from people tomorrow once it drops are going to be interesting to watch.

Alx

Well it's Bungie's last chance to redeem the launch game (since we're still in launch window). If the raid is brilliant, it could counter a lot of the criticism they've received until now, even make some people reconsider their review/purchase. If not, the game will keep being considered a disappointment by many.

Jonnax

According to bungie themselves, they brought in experienced players who attempted to beat it for over 10 hours and couldn't even do it.

The reactions from people tomorrow once it drops are going to be interesting to watch.

Sounds like a bullet sponge. Makes me feel that all they did was put a high number in the HP field and called it a day.

Well it's Bungie's last chance to redeem the launch game (since we're still in launch window). If the raid is brilliant, it could counter a lot of the criticism they've received until now, even make some people reconsider their review/purchase. If not, the game will keep being considered a disappointment by many.
I can't imagine a single raid is going to change things much if at all.

It might even make matters worse by infuriating some people with just a really long bullet-sponge boss slog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom