• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Generates Most Software Revenue at Retail in 2014 (UK)

Xando

That makes sense, the US PSN has much better prices and selection of classic PS1/PS2 games too doesn't it? Is it easy enough to set up a US account on PS4/Xbone? That might swing me over to digital when I upgrade...

Not sure if they have PS1/PS2 games.
Setting up a US account is quite easy, took me about 5 minutes.

Klart

Setting up a US account is quite easy, took me about 5 minutes.

True, but buying something is not that easy: "foreign" CCs don't work, so you have to rely on US PSN cards bought online (usually not that cheap).

mclem

I know I'm the worst guy to bring it up, but the 3DS software sales are shit. To say it was the best selling hardware in the country last year, and it skews towards physical, and the prices never drop, it's a terrible showing. Hell, PC retail continues to show the 3DS a clean pair of heels (in units, not revenue), and we all know how niche that is.

I'd assume that there's some component of that that's just those small throwaway DVD racks you'd see in Boots containing casual games, which doesn't really exist at that pricepoint at retail for the DS. The impulse buy stuff. Not huge revenue-gainers, but add to the units.

...it does make me wonder if there's space for a 3DS retail line with that explicit intent, but it's probably too pricey to manufacture and still hit <£10.

mclem

Do people buy full games on the stores for consoles? I get it for indie games that you can't buy on disc or special offers, but the prices (at least on Wii U and PS3, I haven't been able to afford a next-gen console yet) on the official stores tend to be £10-20 more than for the physical copies at your local friendly game store.

Are people really paying £59.99/£64.99 for games on these machines?

Supermarkets will occasionally have big titles at release for favourable prices over here, partially as loss-leaders to get people there to do their grocery shopping.

Lucifon

If I read this right PS4 is generating the most revenue but not the most sales right? So we can assume that's purely down to the sales + next-gen tax combo.

Also, vita :(

sphinx

the piano man
PS4 88.3 against WiiU 14.0 in the YTD 2014 revenue table is absolutely brutal.

there is no competition at all.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Are people really paying £59.99/£64.99 for games on these machines?
You can figure the ASP from the tables. Last month the ASP for PS4/XB1 software was £40-41. In January and February, they peaked at £46-48. In March it hit a low at £36.

Top Bottom