• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking is 75% off on Steam for the next 40 hours

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The wording in the title makes me laugh.

I'm thinking like the TC is begging everyone to please give this a chance and you have 40 hours to sleep on it oonceor twice lol

people on the fence should have already purchased this during the CN humble bundle! passing up this game at its current price is almost criminal

JPS Kai

I'm out on vacation at an anime convention this weekend. Good thing I just saw this thread, cause I totally bought a copy.

Bought a copy for myself and one for a friend.

Died several times in the first section. Memories of Ghosts 'n' Goblins NES.

Lotto

This game is a reminder to me that I am terrible at platformers. Spot on with that Super Ghouls n' Ghosts comparison though.

pa22word

Steam is the DRM here.

As another poster said, Steam is not inherently DRM. Devs and pubs can and do release DRM free products on Steam all the time.

Considering the platform you "DRM free or bust" guys ride I wish you'd be a little better informed when preaching from your high horse, tbqh...

Acosta

Steam is the DRM here.

It´s time to educate yourself:

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Aside of that, Volgarr is fantastic, but for some reason I really suck at it, I still have not completed the first level... I was never that good in arcade games but damn, I have completed Contras and Castlevanias back in my day (but the problem is that back then I played once and again, and with Volgarr I just play from time to time as I do with most videogames nowadays, I guess that's the big difference).

Nabs

Aside of that, Volgarr is fantastic, but for some reason I really suck at it, I still have not completed the first level... I was never that good in arcade games but damn, I have completed Contras and Castlevanias back in my day (but the problem is that back then I played once and again, and with Volgarr I just play from time to time as I do with most videogames nowadays, I guess that's the big difference).

Set aside an hour and take your time with each encounter. Learn their patterns and figure out the best way to beat them. The level up to that point will be a piece of cake.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I remember being annoyed because the game 'forced me' to keep it running lest I repeat the whole stage again. Checkpoints without saves are grim.

You can skip to any stage you've previously beaten by heading left on the title screen and every stage afterwards. Very few people figure this out on their own, it seems.

Proc

Just bought it. Thanks for this thread because I would have missed if since I've been living in destiny this weekend.

Bleeether

Thanks for the Heads up on this game, its been on my wishlist and i dont know how i missed the sale. This is a fantastic game well worth the $3 bucks!

iLrpHkJzRoZpz.gif

iZzkNxlPZW2Oz.gif

I suuuuuck at this game, but it's still awesome. One of the best games of last year.

Nabs

How hard is this? I can manage classic Mega Man just fine. Super ghosts and goblins not so much.

I mean, it's technically hard, but it's really not that bad. You don't have to be some master gamer to handle it, you just need to take your time and learn how to deal with what's in front of you.

Acosta

I remember being annoyed because the game 'forced me' to keep it running lest I repeat the whole stage again. Checkpoints without saves are grim.

Don't take this list as gospel. VVVVVV is listed, and once was DRM free, but a later update integrated Steam's hooks and made the DRM mandatory.

I was just trying to illustrate that Steam is not DRM by default. It´s time to stop blaming them when the problem has always been the lack of trust from companies.

Set aside an hour and take your time with each encounter. Learn their patterns and figure out the best way to beat them. The level up to that point will be a piece of cake.

Thanks, I'l give it a try.

maty

I would also recommend zooming out to plan your moves before heading foward. This may allow you to kill enemies from a distance using a charged spear attack and avoid damage.

VandalD

Only $3 for Volgarr? This game is retro platforming done great, and you should buy it. It's hard, but I wouldn't say it hits the unfair heights of Ghosts n Goblins.

Whelan

Banned
Really enjoying this. The difficulty is just at the right level. It always feels like you died because of your own mistake. Has that 'one more try' feel

Top Bottom