• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter predicts the death of the console

Game Guru

Agreed. I don't know about his reasoning, but I think you have to be willfully ignorant to look at the available evidence and claim that the console market is fundamentally healthy.

It is possible that the console market is the current way it is because Microsoft and Nintendo royally screwed up with their systems. Sony is certainly seeing success in the market, but they also didn't royally screw up.

Damerman

what i want to know is how he is going to fit a AMD 7850, an AMD CPU and its cooler, ram in a tablet and make it run infamous second son on a lithium ion battery. I just want to see that. Do these "analysts" have the secret R&D teams that are on the brink of feasible quantum computing that will run Crysis(from 2007) on a battery? where do they come up with this shit?

Almighty

I really think things like game streaming is the future, but it's still early and the sloooowww upgrading of internet to our houses is going to dictate when this happens. Is it a decade away? Two? Three? That's the tough question.

In the US at least ISPs are the biggest obstacle to this future. Even if Sony, Microsoft, or who ever figures out the tech to give you flawless streaming(and I think they will one day) it is very likely that a lot people's internet will be too slow, their monthly data caps too low, or the ISPs charge you a premium for it.

Ramstein

Banned
Considering assholes are spawning Meteors in my PS3 GTA Online, you're probably right. I'd just assume the process would have a lower barrier to entry, being that most (android) phones are incredibly easy to mess around with.

Seems like we've discovered the one and only case in favor of how closed-a-platform iOS is! Huzzah! :D

Phades

How much will we care about graphics after that? I'd argue not much longer after two or three generations at the latest.

I mean Imagine just hooking up your iPhone to your television and playing a $3 version of GTA:VII.

VR. Format is likely going to change in the next hardware generation or so. Fidelity standards are looking to bump up too (2k/4k). Combine the two and you are looking at hardware needed to drive that in a portable format waaay longer down the road than that (i'd be guessing architecture/material change before that happens).

Danneee

Yeah, so why are people still buying consoles?

He seems like a guy who would watch the home shopping network, see some kind of android stick thing, seriously believe it to be the future and buy his kids and every other child who is unfortunate enough to spend Christmas with him one.
And not understand their disappointment.

IvorB

giphy.gif

This.

Orayn

This fucked up graphics race. That's about the only explanation necessary. It's unsustainable. It's always been unsustainable. So let's see how many more years the industry can withstand ye' graphic hogs (not you specifically)

The "fucked up graphics race" was a problem last-gen because it caused Microsoft and Sony to take losses on their console hardware initially, which required them to make up the difference in other areas.

Apart from that, it's not just a hardware thing by a long shot, since both new consoles are being sold approximately at cost or for a slight profit. It's a fucked up production values race that raises questions about the future of AAA console games, and that includes a lot more than just graphics. You have professional voice acting, licensed and orchestrated music, large teams of writers, enormous advertising campaigns... Graphics factor into that, of course, but they're hardly the main thing making video games expensive and risky to make.

Eh...

That sounds like the death of the console to me, sorry. Pachter is basically saying that in the part you bolded.

It sounds like a console to me.

If the Xbone rendered your cable box irrelevant such that you only had an Xbox would that be death of the cable box? Or would be death of the console. If it is an Xfinity box that replaces your xbox is that the death of the console or death of the cable box?

The CPU and GPU functionality remains . . . I don't think you label it by whether it is made by Microsoft, Xfinity, or a combo of the two.

It will change for sure. Like how we're watching Netflix and stuff on our games machines. I mean, I remember playing a CD in the PS1 thinking "WOW" and then custom soundtracks on Xbox OG ... now they are wonder boxes just like our phones but I don't think they'll end, they may become more modular.

I really think things like game streaming is the future, but it's still early and the sloooowww upgrading of internet to our houses is going to dictate when this happens. Is it a decade away? Two? Three? That's the tough question.

But even when streaming becomes mainstream, there will still be one big console available for people who prefer non-streaming. It's a market that will probably never go away.

We live in a world now where we can't seem to grasp that two different things can co-exist.

Everything is "THIS is going to die and be replaced with this". It's the same with cameras "Phones will kill compact cameras!". No they won't. They will take a chunk of the market. But traditional cameras will always be around because there will always be a market for them, even if it's smaller than before.

The technology press need to stop with this "kill" shit and learn that choice is a real thing. Markets can co-exist.

Caffeine

this is the guy that said pc was dead and it flourished even more after he said it lol.

Always wrong and still getting paid how does he do it?
I think he has one of those jobs that if he gets something right other business's will lose money so as long as he keeps getting things wrong its good for other business's so he keeps his job xD.

Orayn

He gives people advice on how to invest their money and that advice is usually good. His off-the-cuff comments can miss the mark in a pretty big way, but they're not what he's getting paid for.

StevieP

Banned
But even when streaming becomes mainstream, there will still at least be one big console available for people who prefer non-streaming. It's a market that will probably never go away.

We live in a world now where we can't seem to grasp that two different things can co-exist.

Everything is "THIS is going to die and be replaced with this". It's the same with cameras "Phones will kill compact cameras!". No they won't. They will take a chunk of the market. But traditional cameras will always be around because there will always be a market for them, even if it's smaller than before.

The technology press need to stop with this "kill" shit and learn that choice is a real thing. Markets can co-exist.

A smaller market with perpetually rising production cost to sell to a shrinking base. Hence "healthy" ;)

jelly

I wish they would stop comparing mobile graphics to consoles. They are so far apart were it actually matters, anything can be pretty in specific circumstances.

If dedicated, local rendering leaves the console space I would game exclusively on PC. Unless they figure out a way to bring the latency down below to a few milliseconds.

morpix

I'm sure Mr. Pachter has never heard of the difference between USB power & main (socket on the wall) power...
You can actually do a few more things with > 5 volts and 5 amps. It will always stay this way. Unless of course there's some massive breakthrough in battery/USB power.

Opt1kon_

This guy annoys the hell outta me, i also remember him saying that Rockstar would never be making a GTA5 remaster for the next gen consoles back in 2013 after the consoles launched i believe he said they'd only be making GTA5 For PC because the consoles architecture wasn't the same, this guy makes me sick with his predictions next thing he's gonna say is that twinkles might be on the rise of coming back

Well he is right....in japan!

The reasons consoles died off in Japan was because the software became too western.

Japanese developers had a hard time with HD developing and instead decided to embrace the handheld market, which is cheaper and easier to produce for. Leading to handhelds taking the spotlight over there.

lt519

I actually agree with the fool in a way. The more consoles strive to perform and act like HTGPC (home theater gaming pc's) the more people will just buy HTGPCs. I almost skipped this generation because of that and probably will next generation.

Except Nintendo, I will always play Mario even if it's on a 5DWIISU in 10 years.

Scizzy

Apart from that, it's not just a hardware thing by a long shot, since both new consoles are being sold approximately at cost or for a slight profit. It's a fucked up production values race that raises questions about the future of AAA console games, and that includes a lot more than just graphics. You have professional voice acting, licensed and orchestrated music, large teams of writers, enormous advertising campaigns... Graphics factor into that, of course, but they're hardly the main thing making video games expensive and risky to make.

I think the console doomsday scenario (tm) comes from this. What happens as the market contracts (which it is clearly is even if the PS4 is doing great) and makes AAA console games less and less profitable? And when fewer AAA games are made, are fewer consoles sold? And so on, in an endless death spiral? This isn't going to happen next year certainly, but it's a possibility in the next decade.

avaya

Till someone magics away the laws of physics, machines which consume 100W+ in order to provide gaming experiences are not going away. They'll just move either to within the TV or inside an STB but they sure as fuck are not being replaced by a sub 10W cellphone or tablet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played with probably 10+ people. Either I knew them from High School or I met them at college and their idea of a console's future have been non existent. They simply don't do it at all. That's not implying anything, but they all seem to have this bait-and-swtich mentality. Make it more convenient or I'll switch to something else. I guess I hated always hearing them on the other side of the phone or in person giving me this funeral speech about how they feel and what not.

You can make a device like that, but you have to do what MS did to do it. Turn it into a DVR, a sports man's dream machine, or make it do cartwheels for the family. They hit this audience now that act like they were in a time machine from the last console they bought.

Shogun1337

The "fucked up graphics race" was a problem last-gen because it caused Microsoft and Sony to take losses on their console hardware initially, which required them to make up the difference in other areas.

I've regarded graphics as the main issue in heightening production values and still think it is. They say back in the 90's, Final Fantasy VII already had a marketing budget of like $100M. That's ridiculously huge even today.

But ask yourself if Square would've actually made a profit off of FFVII if it had to meet the graphical demands of today (and exceed them, as FF always has), let alone any other studio that didn't have such a powerful brand. They would've gone bankrupt faster than you can say The Spirits Within

Professional voice acting... orchestrated music, these things in my opinion don't play nearly as big a factor as is necessary to hire a gigantic team, pay licensing fees everywhere out the wazoo to make some AAA blockbuster with absurd graphical fidelity.

You don't have to abide by professional voice acting, you don't have to get orchestrated music, or a large team of writers (I mean really? 90% of the games that come out today have a completely negligible story line so I'm not sure what these writers are supposed to be doing), but if you're making console games today you do have to abide by these fucking graphic hogs because they're where the money is. Graphics are the easiest 'quality' to see

Edit: Some other things. Game advertising (and advertising in general) is supposed to have become cheaper, not more expensive. We have outlets out the wazoo like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, that did not exist a decade ago. For FREE. No one's telling these idiotic companies to spend so much (I say idiotic even though ones like Activision and EA clearly have proven that they know exactly what they're doing)

The proof is in the pudding regarding all the dozens of video game companies that have gone bankrupt, that would've been able to survive and thrive just a decade ago. Some of my favorites being Hudson Soft, the makers of Bloody Roar, and Sacnoth.

Please wake me when phones can achieve the fidelity, physics,frame rate, scope, etc of consoles. If that ever happens then I may agree, but it won't so I don't agree.

Seik

Banned
Sometimes Pachter can make sense, but this is like shooting in the sky without looking, hoping you'd hit something.

Consoles are here to stay, same thing was said before the ones we have now came out. Both are selling well, with the PS4 hitting 10 millions before it's first year.

Sure, phones are stronger than ever, but I think phones and consoles are different enough to have two different markets without totally cannibalizing one another.

Shogun1337

Because he's smart, turned himself into a brand, and here we are, giving his idiot ass a voice (yes I know I contradicted myself). He's actually become a "thing", but again that's actually a play on his intelligence. You guys ever think the reason he's saying shit like this is because he knows 100 threads across the Internet have now been made talking about him? He has 'pull' now, regardless of his opinion. Such is the way of humanity, I guess.

I've regarded graphics as the main issue in heightening production values and still think it is. They say back in the 90's, Final Fantasy VII already had a marketing budget of like $100M. That's ridiculously huge even today.

But ask yourself if Square would've actually made a profit off of FFVII if it had to meet the graphical demands of today (and exceed them, as FF always has), let alone any other studio that didn't have such a powerful brand. They would've gone bankrupt faster than you can say The Spirits Within

Professional voice acting... orchestrated music, these things in my opinion don't play nearly as big a factor as is necessary to hire a gigantic team, pay licensing fees everywhere out the wazoo to make some AAA blockbuster with absurd graphical fidelity.

You don't have to abide by professional voice acting, you don't have to get orchestrated music, or a large team of writers (I mean really? 90% of the games that come out today have a completely negligible story line so I'm not sure what these writers are supposed to be doing), but if you're making console games today you do have to abide by these fucking graphic hogs because they're where the money is. Graphics are the easiest 'quality' to see

It's funny... because the Squaresoft movie division went belly under for trying this approach with a movie a few years before it became viable.

Top Bottom