• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony quadruples forecast loss for financial year - £1.04 billion or 180bn YEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. It's the mobile unit this time. Sony tried to flood the market with cheap low and mid range phones in an attempt to gain market share. People didn't buy them, so now they have to write down $1.7 billion worth of value from their mobile unit.

$1.67B is just on phones. The total loss is a staggering $2.1B for the year.

sony-forecasts-2-1-billion-loss-this-year-due-to-its-smartphone-business/

Holy shit, that is insane. How can their strategy be so awful that it's responsible for 80% of their losses?! What they should do is make one good budget smartphone per year and one good high-end smartphone (plus the compact equivalent). More than that just seems unnecessary.

Presumably this is why the head of their mobile division was fired and Kaz took the helm himself?

They'll be gone by 2016.

They'll probably get bought out by Samsung before the company goes under.

Jimrpg

The problem with Sony is they make too many products.

One of the things Steve Jobs did when he went back to Apple was cut the number of products. And then he tried to do those ones as well as he could.

plainr_

How about they actually market their smartphones in the US and not make it exclusive to one carrier.

I would get the Z3 in a heartbeat if it came to AT&T.

jetsetrez

Such a crazy position for Sony right now.

It's selfish of me, but it would personally make me happy if Sony sold the Spiderman rights back to Marvel to help sustain themselves. I only care about PlayStation when it comes to Sony.

Busty

Banned
I don't want anyone to loose their jobs but when I saw how much of a loss Sony were taking on their mobile division my first thought was 'good, now I'll be able to get a Z1 or 2 Compact for cheap' which isn't very cool given the precarious financial ramifications for people, I know.

Honest question: How can a corporation this big survive after such a loss? Aren't these very bad news?

Every time a topic about Sony's dire financial position comes up I ask a similar question and we sort of work it out between us and I walk away thinking that Sony are keeping their head above water and everything will be fine.

Then some time passes and Sony announces more losses and we go through the exact same process all over again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I certainly don't think that Sony are going to be shutting up shop any time soon but then again how many losses like this can an entity, even one as big as Sony, take before they 'go down' for good?

Castef

Banned

It's selfish of me, but it would personally make me happy if Sony sold the Spiderman rights back to Marvel to help sustain themselves. I only care about PlayStation when it comes to Sony.

Actually, they are making money with these Spiderman rights.

So, why would they give them back?

gogogow

They'll probably get bought out by Samsung before the company goes under.

Not sure what part of the Sony Corporation Samsung would want to have. Playstation division doesn't make enough money. It's possible they would want to buy some useful patents, but I can't see them buying the entire company with all those debts.

stilgar

They still have this huge problem that they're not leading in innovation anymore, apart from the Playstation. And I think, as a sentient monkey, that it was a part of their DNA, and the reason why they're still in bad shape.

QaaQer

So based on looks? That is important too of course, but them releasing so many models, lower, mid and high end models and dropping support for some of them or has extemely slow updates aren't helping them.

Not looks, the software part of the equation. People buy iphones because of the user interface and the whole iOS ecosystem, the hardware is secondary. Sony just makes another android phone.

Japan really lags when it comes to that stuff.

Busty

Banned
Sony's share price had actually been solidly rebounding of late from $16 a share to over $20 IIRC.

Actually, they are largely breaking even with these Spiderman rights.

So, why would they give them back?

Amazing Spiderman 2 was no where near a home run given that production and marketing costs were larger than the first film's.

And given that Sony sold the merchandise and licensing rights for the Spider Man films back to Disney they have to rely solely on the film's performance rather than any ancillary markets.

How about they actually market their smartphones in the US and not make it exclusive to one carrier.

I would get the Z3 in a heartbeat if it came to AT&T.

Im not sure how this works in the US but in Europe you can also buy your phone separately and get a simonly contract. Most of the the times this is even cheaper and you have freedom of choice for your phone.

In the US I always see these stupid carrier customized phones, that's something of the past overhere fortunately.

DieH@rd

Banned
but...their phones are awesome...

Yes they are. But they fumbled USA market by focusin on Japan [small market] and Europe [where they are second-fourth in many countries]. They need to create Z4/Z4 Compact and market the fuck out of it with worldwide launch on all territories.

mocoworm

Yeah, this is what I think as well. Sony should trim the fat and downsize to the Playstation company.

Have you read any of this thread. Gaming is SONY's worst performing division after mobile. Way ahead are Audio, Cameras, BluRay and others.

I already posted this but it needs saying again. Everyone seems to think that Playstation is their saving grace.

Also, with 16m iPhones being pre-ordered globally in the first 24hrs and the new Samsung phones about to drop it could be a sign that their mobile division will face even tougher times in the coming year.

gogogow

Not looks, the software part of the equation. People buy iphones because of the user interface and the whole iOS ecosystem, the hardware is secondary. Sony just makes another android phone.

I understand what you meant. Looks, that's the only thing they have to compete with others. Since you said on the software side they aren't competitive or nothing special is going on there and every smartphone has the same innards, so looks is the only thing left for their Xperia line.

One4U

Banned
In Holland, I barely see people use Sony smartphone whatever high-end or low-end. Huawei is more popular than Sony, in my opinion.

dugdug

Banned
I'll never understand business.

How do you have the fastest selling console of all time, yet, your gaming division is one of the worst performing?

QaaQer

I understand what you meant. Looks, that's the only thing they have to compete with others. Since you said on the software side they aren't competitive or nothing special is going on there and every smartphone has the same innards, so looks is the only thing left for their Xperia line.

That and waterproofness.

Again, I just don't know what any Sony CEO can do because of the labour laws.

And I feel like shit for saying that because I love the fact that it isn't just unionized people who don't have to worry about being fired.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is like a domino. First it was the TV division, then it was the PC division, now the phones one. It has to stop somewhere, they will run out of divisions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Have you read any of this thread. Gaming is SONY's worst performing division after mobile. Way ahead are Audio, Cameras, BluRay and others.

I already posted this but it needs saying again. Everyone seems to think that Playstation is their saving grace

Also, with 16m iPhones being pre-ordered globally in the first 24hrs and the new Samsung phones about to drop it could be a sign that their mobile division will face even tougher times in the coming year.

This needs to be out in the OP so people stop saying otherwise.

I already posted this but it needs saying again. Everyone seems to think that Playstation is their saving grace.

Do you already have Sony earning report for upcoming quarter? All I see was 1 poster mentioned what you said but I didn't see any numbers.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

The same could have been said about 10 years ago about PCs, but Sony made decent money on their VAIOs that essentially ran Windows like every other PC out there (until the arse fell out of the PC market).

I think Sony's biggest issue with phones was that they tried too hard to bastardise Android when they first started making Android phones, they should just keep as close to stock as possible (which they do now) and keep adding value added features like Remote Play and PS Now.

Fractal

Banned

Could you please provide a source, or should I maybe listen to your tag and ignore your opinion? :p

mocoworm

Could you please provide a source, or should I maybe listen to your tag and ignore your opinion? :p

Do you already have Sony earning report for upcoming quarter? All I see was 1 poster mentioned what you said but I didn't see any numbers.

Read at your leisure.

Q1 FY2014 Earnings Announcement

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/14q1_sony.pdf

Gaming and Mobile are both operating at a loss. All other main divisions are really strong.

Rixa

It is on their book value not on its real value. So in reality, they are not making a loss in the sense that they are losing 'real' money. Probably overpaid for Ericsson' share of SE (and booked it as goodwill) and it is now impaired.

It's goodwill impairment - an accounting treatment for a loss in value of investments on the balance sheet.
Not as alarming as if it had been core operational losses on the phone business.

Yes, reflected on the income statement - and investors take that one-time hit, but on Sony's cash flow statement will be added back to net income (similar to how depreciation is treated) and would not be seen as a cash-bleed from the core operations of the phone business.

Seems that these should be in first post too.

Where is zomgbbqftw when you need one?

It has been said many times in this thread already, that PS business isn't a moneymaker for them.

It's still launch year of PS4 and they are using the old razor and blades business model like they have with every one of their consoles. They made losses during the year PS2 launched and during the year PS1 launched. This is actually looking to be best launch year gaming division has ever had (they will make small profit opposed to loss). Next year gaming division should make decent profit if PS4 continues to sell like it does.

LG is doing well, actually.
Dem koreans.

The problem is that they have been selling a lot of stuff that was worth real money. If you do that as a quick fix, you will end up totally dead if your business doesn't improve. Selling of Spiderman is one of those things. They sold a lot of real estate in a short sighted move to try to break even and they are paying the price dearly.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'll never understand business.

How do you have the fastest selling console of all time, yet, your gaming division is one of the worst performing?

Because making a console costs at least 1billion$, it has large upkeep costs during entire console generation, and earning money back from them is a very slow burn that is almost always fully focused on software licencing and online transaction fees. If PS4 brought them $50-100 of profit for each console from start [which was not the case], that would give Sony big boost.

QaaQer

The same could have been said about 10 years ago about PCs, but Sony made decent money on their VAIOs that essentially ran Windows like every other PC out there (until the arse fell out of the PC market).

2004 was a long time ago. No iphone, no macbook, no tablets, no Lenovo PCs...much less in the way of competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom