• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories|OT| Less comedy, more existential terror- Debuts Sept 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been pretty disappointing so far. I agree with the comments about the runtime. The haunted house episode was a lot more enjoyable.

Tom_Cody

Yeah pretty underwhelming, I did enjoy Odenkirk's performance though. He can do the subtle darkness well. I'll probably keep saying this as the show goes on but man do they need a longer runtime. Feels like they don't really know how to properly tell these stories with that limitation.
I have been enjoying it so far for what it is: short films that are kind of spooky, kind of weird, and kind of funny.

That said, this is by no means my favorite thing that they've done. I have been re-watching season 5 of the awesome show recently. That show absolutely makes me laugh out loud non-stop.

I have been enjoying it so far for what it is: short films that are kind of spooky, kind of weird, and kind of funny.

That said, this is by no means my favorite thing that they've done. I have been re-watching season 5 of the awesome show recently. That show absolutely makes me laugh out loud non-stop.

Yup after discovering adult swims site has all their episodes available for streaming I've been doing an awesome show binge. Such a great show for repeat viewings.

Tonight is "Bathroom Boys", looks to be more comedy focused. Also, another Zach episode.

main.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SQeaOIDmcs&sns=em

big ander

"wear some fucking sleeves at the date okay"

Episode was hysterical--and also completely outside of what this show claims to be trying to do. still waiting on a good horror episode. Cohan was excellent.

what the hell was that thing with Zach and the gate at the end I can't stop laughing at it

depths20XX

This episode was hilarious but I don't get how it fits into the theme of the show?

It's like they had this short and they just wanted to put it on something so they threw it on Bedtime Stories. What was the scare element? 3 men living in a bathroom I guess?

It just seemed like an extension of the Just 3 Boyz thing they did.

This episode was hilarious but I don't get how it fits into the theme of the show?

It's like they had this short and they just wanted to put it on something so they threw it on Bedtime Stories. What was the scare element? 3 men living in a bathroom I guess?

It just seemed like an extension of the Just 3 Boyz thing they did.

Had the same thought. Really enjoyed it, thought it was plenty funny but when are gonna get to the Lynchian existential horror stuff?

~Kinggi~

Banned
this shit is obscene and offends my values and sensibilities. You're all going to hell.~~

not a joke /jk

Bread

Banned
So I saw the T&E live show last night, it was incredible. I'll spoiler the stuff they showed in case some of you guys are going to see the show soon.
They came out as the Cinco Bros and showed a new product, an energy soda for kids (featuring peppermint jack cheese) named Grum Soda. Grum even came out to greet the audience!
Then they showed one of the next episodes of Bedtime Stories, the one with Jason Schwartzman. I won't spoil any of it, but it is absolutely hilarious, probably the funniest one yet. It's got some extremely twisted shit in it too, not creepy like Hole, just fucked up. They did a lot of other stuff too but I'm already bored of writing it up, so I'll just stop there.

The show was great, I got myself a Channel 5 and DJ Douggpound shirt.

C+

big ander

Best episode yet. best marriage of existential terror, ethereal imagery and off-putting hilarity.

If you wanna keep my boy's voice high you gotta keep him dry

edit: I think what makes it best is that it's the best rendition of T&E's fav ideas of dads and (adopted) sons being or not being who you want them to be and how being parental can also be straight-up parasitic and weird.

Hilarious, my favorite one so far. Lots of great subtle expressions between T&E in this one. The dad problems were out in full force, loved it. I feel they like going back to this theme of the aggressive teen/twenty something (Eric's son) that has this almost dangerous animalism to them. We saw it in The Hole obviously, that undercurrent of dark aggression existing in some dudes. That kind of subtle horror gets to me; even though this was mostly a comedy episode that son kinda creeped me out. Wonder if that was intentional or just my imagination.

kyoya

I don't mind just plain weird and not "scary" episodes like The Bathroom Boys, but I was confused after watching it lol. The runtime works for me too, I can see thinking it should be longer, but I enjoy it as it is.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing "Bathroom Boys" being turned into a series - as long as we get to see that sugar shop of a convenience store.

Argh you promised MC Drizz! I got that vibe from Patrick and his friends too, its seemed like even Dan was afraid of him.

Noticed the Truck Cake on the table at the party - loved that.
What is it with low pitches causing people to shit their pants? LOL "I'm shitting my pants son!"

Tom_Cody

"Angel Boy" was amazing. For sure one of my favorite things that T & E have ever done.

The "Dad-only" balcony killed me. Such a good episode.

Enjoyed roommates even though it felt like one of the tamest things they've done. Not a bad episode but kind of dull compared to the other episodes. This was one episode where I actually wouldn't have minded a condensed runtime. That said, "he's a dirty juice boy!"

big ander

Bueno!

good episode. also not horror themed remotely at all. at this point it's obvious T&E wanted an outlet to make more cinematic-looking material for TV. I'm not sure why the show was marketed as a horror anthology. I guess it would have been hard to explain it/advertise it if it were just an anthology of mixed genres? not as good a hook? It's still odd

kyoya

I kind of felt like the horror part in Roommates was being stuck in Los Angeles as a struggling actor, going to auditions and staking your life on passing out headshots. The end where Heidecker is up on stage with his one-man show was depressing. Decent episode though.

big ander

there's a gigantic gap between unsettling or uncomfortable and actual horror though. This was said to be Tim & Eric do The Twilight Zone and instead it's about 50% that, 50% one-off normal (for Tim & Eric) shorts. Which would be oddly unsatisfying even if the true horror shorts were always great, but they haven't been.

kyoya

I really wish that Davin Wood would put up an MP3 of the music playing during the underwear tossing scene in "Bathroom Boys" - that harmonica synthesizer was in everything from the 1980's. Everytime I think of it I just crack up.

I personally hated Angel Boy. Felt completely derivative, full of the same jokes they've made a billion times before. On the other hand, Roommates is packed with lines and details that are subtle and hilarious. The last scene is a masterclass on how awkward those one man shows can be.

cacophony

my favorites have been Roommates and Bathroom Boys. honestly i think i just like t&e sticking to what they do best.

Zach's conversation in the convenience store was amazing

big ander

Best episode of the season. Amazing production quality in this one. and the mockery of sets and of publicity was hilarious.

ElTopo

Banned
Interesting show. I've only watched the first 2 episodes but it's pretty good. It would be better if it were 30 minutes though. It's interesting to see them do something Lynchian.

D.Lo

It's pretty much Tim and Eric with a bit more structure really isn't it?

Which is what I want anyway. Dudes have completely nailed pointless consumer culture and many of our cultural expectations to the wall. Nobody's destroying the whole idea of entertainment like them, to this devolved surrealism. Plus some slapstick.

But it's barely 'branching out'.

It's pretty much Tim and Eric with a bit more structure really isn't it?

Which is what I want anyway. Dudes have completely nailed pointless consumer culture and many of our cultural expectations to the wall. Nobody's destroying the whole idea of entertainment like them, to this devolved surrealism. Plus some slapstick.

But it's barely 'branching out'.

That's been my issue with it, it's fun but still treading very familiar territory. Doesn't really seem like they're pushing themselves too much with this, aside from bigger production scale.

a good friend of mine worked on this show and had some hilarious stories from the set (as well as eric andre's birthday party)

i'm guaranteed to watch it when i have time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom