• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes gameplay footage

zulux21

Looks nice, but chances of this getting localized?

It would really depend on if koei has rights to publish or if square enix only can.
If koei can publish I would put the localization chances fairly high as they have brought over most of their games that would cover the costs of bringing it over for the last few years. While DQ isn't big in the west it still has a decent following as does core koei games so I don't see why they would pass up the localization given they should be able to turn a profit on it with ease.

If square enix is the only company that can publish the odds drop as they don't feel DQ is an IP that is really worth the time to publish in the west. It has sold well at times in the west but that is usually when it's advertisement is being handled by another company. Even then though they have been talking about wanting to bring over more DQ games, the issue has been there is so much text. I imagine this game would have a lot less text then games like DQ7 which would increase the odds quite a bit.

Overall I am going to go with an optimistic above 50% chance it gets localized. I wouldn't bet that it will be localized, but if you forced me to choose if it will or won't I would be in the will camp.

Megatron

It would really depend on if koei has rights to publish or if square enix only can.
If koei can publish I would put the localization chances fairly high as they have brought over most of their games that would cover the costs of bringing it over for the last few years. While DQ isn't big in the west it still has a decent following as does core koei games so I don't see why they would pass up the localization given they should be able to turn a profit on it with ease.

If square enix is the only company that can publish the odds drop as they don't feel DQ is an IP that is really worth the time to publish in the west. It has sold well at times in the west but that is usually when it's advertisement is being handled by another company. Even then though they have been talking about wanting to bring over more DQ games, the issue has been there is so much text. I imagine this game would have a lot less text then games like DQ7 which would increase the odds quite a bit.

Overall I am going to go with an optimistic above 50% chance it gets localized. I wouldn't bet that it will be localized, but if you forced me to choose if it will or won't I would be in the will camp.

That said, the ps4 is region free, so we could import this and play it on US systems right? Wonder how trophies work in that instance.

zulux21

That said, the ps4 is region free, so we could import this and play it on US systems right? Wonder how trophies work in that instance.

yup, since there is no region lock you can totally import it in the worst case. I likely wouldn't because I can't stand playing games with a translation guide, and i don't speak japanese well enough to play a game like this, but others easily could.

Paracelsus

Yeah, you better make a separate showing for dungeons, assuming they didn't lie about it, otherwise this is shaping up to backfire.

Reveirg

I'm curious as to what people feel is the line between a musou game and an action RPG.

If it's a game with musou-style battles and dragon quest RPG elements, like S-E said, how is it NOT an action RPG?

crinale

IMO ppl refer "DW style" or musou-esque game as third-person beat'em up with massive number of enemies. However if you play a role of a hero to combat overwhelming number of enemies then musou style is perfect fit.

Someone made a reference to Diablo and I agree with him. Back then when DW came out to PS2, I was playing Diablo2 and saw a lot of similarities (I was mowing through enemies using lance barb).

EGOMON

I love it and i don't care if looks like a musou game the gameplay looks smoother especially the controls and camera

friz898

Well aside from all the musou talk - the main thing I took away from watching the vids was..

..a reminder of how much I love DQ art work. Saw the golem and that confirmed it.

u_neek

This actually looks like a lot of fun and I'm loving the art style.

First "Musou" game I'll buy, I think.

fedexpeon

Banned
Should I be hyped?
Game looks slow and boring.

No regular fast, big and flashy AOE skills to clear all those mobs effectively, no weapon range, no speed in the swing, no fast dashing/movement to slash more efficiently.
Just slash slash slash while there are 100 mobs(standing still) on screen to build a meter, and then using the meter to unleash a big attack.

Clearly not a musou, but more of your typical slow hack/slash action game.

That was such an epic manga series. Am sad that they never did another one. Its funny how the latest DQ manga is all grim dark lol. Emblem of Roto or something. Good series too though.

Daibouken was awesome. Not only were practically every character well-developed, most of the villains were too.

Hadlar's development from a
cowardly, selfish prick asshole
into a
honourable, proud rival villain
was awesome. And Pop was easily the best character in the manga by far.

Shahed

Hopefully it's more like Zil' Oll, otherwise I'd probably skip it even if it did come out here. Hyrule Warrios tempted me for a little while (playable Zelda and Midna!), but in the end i came to my senses about it being another boring Musou game

crinale

I missed it :(

Was it like Toukiden?

The protagonist climbed up the castle and used cannon to shot through the bosses's head.
Then used vertical rolling attack to damage him for like 10 times.
Afterwards the boss stomped on him and killed the player, ending the demo

My overall take is Toukiden does have a strong influence on this, as KT has promised.

zeromcd73

The protagonist climbed up the castle and used cannon to shot through the bosses's head.
Then used vertical rolling attack to damage him for like 10 times.
Afterwards the boss stomped on him and killed the player, ending the demo

My overall take is Toukiden does have a strong influence on this, as KT has promised.
Oh lawd. Can't wait to watch this when it is uploaded :)

crinale

Lol just found out yesterday's demo the protagonist was set to Lv.8.
At today's boss demo Horii instead that at Lv.11 (today's protagonist level) the boss may be a bit too tough.

Edit: Horii showing up was a surprise and after he started talk about levels Japanese fans started to speculate.
Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqNuMEFnD4w

crinale

It looks amazing. Day 1

Edit: Wait a minute, the boss level 11 and the protag was level 8... I wonder if that is a hint at something >.>

They are both player (and allies) levels, and they were all set to 8 yesterday and 11 today,
Just a coincidence I guess

mao2

At today's boss demo Horii instead that at Lv.11 (today's protagonist level) the boss may be a bit too tough.

Edit: Horii showing up was a surprise and after he started talk about levels Japanese fans started to speculate.
8 → 11
Dragon Quest VIII was the last Dragon Quest that appeared on a PlayStation platform.
Dragon Quest XI coming to PlayStation confirmed!!! :O

crinale

I just noticed that the player can jump then attack giant cyclops downwards, propelling him upwards so he can climb up the boss monster further. Close to dual blades of Toukidesn IMO.

I just realized this hasn't been confirmed to have local coop, has it?
I kind of assumed at first since it really sounded like a Musou game but if it isn't one, I guess that's less obvious.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks pretty dang great. Hopefully Omega Force starts using all these new elements created in their spinoffs to reinvigorate Dynasty Warriors itself.

Loudninja

So did we get any more details about the mechanics of the game

I am liking what I am seeing here.

sörine;130928258 said:
On 8-4 play they said it's basically Musou gameplay with a Toukiden like mission/upgrade structure.

ibzWnUI.gif

SUPER HIGH TENSION

sörine

Banned
Sorry can you explain this? not familiar with Toukiden
Think Monster Hunter. You have a base/town you do your shopping/crafting/meeting at and you go out on missions with specific goals. The more missions you complete the more missions you unlock and better materials you get access to. And like Toukiden/MH there's going to be giant boss monsters, which is a first for Musou outside of the recent Zelda one.

DQ Swords had a semi-similar setup actually, mission based but with a central town. Square Enix also classified that as an action RPG too.

Loudninja

sörine;130929542 said:
Think Monster Hunter. You have a base/town you do your shopping/crafting/meeting at and you go out on missions with specific goals. The more missions you complete the more missions you unlock and better materials you get access to. And like Toukiden/MH there's going to be giant boss monsters, which is a first for Musou outside of the recent Zelda one.

DQ Swords had a semi-similar setup actually, mission based but with a central town. Square Enix also classified that as an action RPG too.
Ahh ok sounds great.

Top Bottom