• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys wants to know what kind of games you play (hint: everyone answer visual novels)

Marche90

Lol, so everything besides America is other ? Or am I missing something here ?

Actually not even all of America. They missed Mexico; we're not part of South or Central America, but rather NA, and they only put an option to mark either somewhere in the US or Canada in that territory.

Anyway, did my part and filled the survey.

Boy, people here likes the Zero Escape series a lot, huh?. I must confess that even if I read a lot of visual novels, I haven't read neither of the two ZE VNs.

Actually not even all of America. They missed Mexico; we're not part of South or Central America, but rather NA, but they only put an option to mark either somewhere in the US or Canada in that territory.

Anyway, did my part and filled the survey.

Boy, people here likes the Zero Escape series a lot, huh?. I must confess that even if I read a lot of visual novels, I haven't read neither of the two ZE VNs.

Whatever you're doing is less important than playing both of the ZE games.

Eusis

Why yes I do enjoy every type of game (but sports seriously screw the major series.)

Well, I was iffy on casual and hack/slash, but I did enjoy DW8 so that's definitely an occasional thing, and casual can also mean a lot of puzzle games and the like that are fun time wasters at the right time/mood.

UberTag

How does responding to this survey result in more Zero Escape? Please explain.
Can I threaten to not support any of their products if they do not finance this game? Because I'll do that if that's what it takes.

I have him added on Facebook and follow him on Twitter, and it's heartbreaking seeing him being so active with the fans knowing he can't make ZE3. He clearly loves that series with all his heart, and it shows in the games themselves. I'll be crushed if he never gets to make the conclusion.

I believe in the end he'll find a way. Even if it's a "simpler" VN, or worst case maybe a Graphic Novel series. Some how the rest of the story will come out. Hopefully it's in a nice pretty package like the other two ;o

Eusis

How does responding to this survey result in more Zero Escape? Please explain.
Can I threaten to not support any of their products if they do not finance this game? Because I'll do that if that's what it takes.
Wishful thinking I suspect, Spike Chunsoft needs to decide to OK further development and I imagine Aksys has been trying to make their case for awhile.

I think more realistically it'd goad them into looking into other VNs for localization either to handhelds, PC, or even consoles.

Nyoro SF

I bought 999 and VLR on GAF's recommendation a few days ago, but I'm waiting for 999 despite receiving VLR first. heh (stupid slow shippers)

fedexpeon

Banned
This has ALWAYS been a problem for me.
I can't answer this at all...which region is Texas located in?
South East or South West?
I don't know why they don't have South or just Texas in general because the place can contain literally 10+ smaller states inside of it.
Because it is so large, SE and SW can be right.

ohlawd

I bought 999 and VLR on GAF's recommendation a few days ago, but I'm waiting for 999 despite receiving VLR first. heh (stupid slow shippers)

wait nah don't do that VLR's got nothing to do with 999 so start playing already

jk I'm just trolling. Good on ya for waiting.

Marche90

Whatever you're doing is less important than playing both of the ZE games.

Trust me, I've tried, at least with 999. I bought VLR digitally once, but sold the 3DS where I bought it and lolnintendo accounts. Thrice. The farthest I've managed to get is to the second puzzle room.

If I'm completely honest with you, I normally dislike VNs with any kind of gameplay in between story segments, since (for me at least) it kills the story momentum, even if the text during the puzzle is related to the plot.

The only exceptions to that rule are Ace Attorney and Dangan Ronpa (and a very little known VN called Aselia the Eternal, which I ended dropping after the third route. I couldn't keep going lol), and for the former, I normally play them with a guide.

ohlawd

Trust me, I've tried, at least with 999. I bought VLR digitally once, but sold the 3DS where I bought it and lolnintendo accounts. Thrice. The farthest I've managed to get is to the second puzzle room.

If I'm completely honest with you, I normally dislike VNs with any kind of gameplay in between story segments, since (for me at least) it kills the story momentum, even if the text during the puzzle is related to the plot.

just use a spoiler free guide

get that shit outta the way real fast so you can focus on the story

Zareka

I believe in the end he'll find a way. Even if it's a "simpler" VN, or worst case maybe a Graphic Novel series. Some how the rest of the story will come out. Hopefully it's in a nice pretty package like the other two ;o

Same here. I don't even care if we have to revert to 999-esque presentation - I just want to know the ending.

At the very, very least, if, ten years down the line, there is absolutely, positively, no hope for a ZE3...that he at least releases the script on to the internet. Only as a last ditch effort, but at the very least I would be at peace with that.
Believe me, it's so worth the wait. Enjoy the ride when it arrives!

Visual novels of course!

There's a treasure trove of otome games you should definitely look into Aksys~

You can't keep Hakuoki over and over again!

Marche90

just use a spoiler free guide

get that shit outta the way real fast so you can focus on the story

Probably should try again loading a guide in my phone

Oh, and it doesn't matter if I use a spoiler free guide or not. I'm already spoiled to hell and back about the two games xD

I'm odd like that, since I love hunting spoilers :v

RocBase

the heck kind of barebones survey was that???? i was all ready to spam requests for a dmmd re:code localization

MLH

I've answered the survey, and will always express my interest in Zero Escape 3 but what influence does Aksys hold in it's production, even then the North American division?

I know the game is developed by Chunsoft so could Aksys help fund the game? I need some hope :(

JoJoSono

Banned
I voted everything but Visual Novels. I just don't get them. I read constantly, comic books, novels, whatever. Yet, looking at static pictures on a screen bores the shit out of me.

Zareka

I've answered the survey, and will always express my interest in Zero Escape 3 but what influence does Aksys hold in it's production, even then the North American division?

I know the game is developed by Chunsoft so could Aksys help fund the game? I need some hope :(

I don't know if this is true or not, but if Aksys had a ton of money, could they not fund the game? I think it was only in Japan the ZE games bombed. Over here it done relatively well. (I could be wrong though.)
I voted everything but Visual Novels. I just don't get them. I read constantly, comic books, novels, whatever. Yet, looking at static pictures on a screen bores the shit out of me.
Not gonna lie, I thought exactly like this too at one point. But once you play some of the greats e.g. Zero Escape, I guess Danganronpa you start to see the appeal in visual novels.

Personally my first VN that I genuinely enjoyed was Katawa Shoujo, but I get that's entry level stuff so people might not agree with me. Even then, I found it pretty boring to start with since I wasn't used to the idea of a VN, but it definitely grew on me.

"Visual Novel, horror, puzzle".

I think I got the message across.
Because I made three selections.
they have a game that's all three of those coming out. For Vita/PS3
ttgh.jpg

I am still naivley hoping that the 3DS Jake Hunter game can come out in English someday. I've gotta give props to Aksys for being the guys who made some major inroads for the genre internationally.

............ A visual novel doesn't mean there's only visuals. There's a whole lot of text in accordance to pictures. The biggest appeal of Visual Novels are the choices you can make to change the story.

Nyoro SF

Aksys is a NA localizing studio or something. Not to be confused with Arc System Works.

Yep. It's easy to confuse them.

Yet as a company that is positioned in the Western market, Aksys can influence the platforms that Arcsys releases on, such as Steam. That's why sometimes I bother them too on Twitter about platforms. :)

JoJoSono

Banned
Hint: there's also text on the screen.

Well yes thats the boring part. I'm looking at a static image as it info dumps stuff on me.

A comic is in constant motion and asks you to imagine the motions in the gutters.

A novel/short story is all about picturing it yourself.

Those are all very engaging practices for me.

Yet I seem to have some sort of metal barrier when it comes to reading text with pictures on a screen. A lot of the action is cheaply shown by jiggling the picture or it's just implied by the transition to a new picture, but since it's no sequential art it loses that motion and it feels especially like looking at static images to me.

I kind of wish all these supposed good visual novels just had a comic book version.

A reason could be that most visual novels have horrendously slow placing to start because they want to set up the world and introduce the characters and let you build relationships before any sign of a coherent plot finally gets here. It requires a lot of patience and only some manage to live up to the build up.

Zero escape however, does all that in reverse order making it really easy for new people to get into VNs.

And if it helps, VLR does have voice acting and character animations. That might help
ease you in compared to more traditional VNs.

Where should I start? I'm painfully arcade-wired when it comes to games, I have a rather low tolerance for cut-scenes and QTEs, so I'm not sure I can be converted :/

I'm not a big fan of cut-scenes and QTEs either.

Anyways, most would recommend one of these if you're a beginner:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney(DS/Wii/soon3DS)
999(DS)
Danganronpa(Vita)

I could recommend some PC ones but the handhelds ones are pretty easy to get into.

Yet I seem to have some sort of metal barrier when it comes to reading text with pictures on a screen. A lot of the action is cheaply shown by jiggling the picture or it's just implied by the transition to a new picture, but since it's no sequential art it loses that motion and it feels especially like looking at static images to me.

I kind of wish all these supposed good visual novels just had a comic book version.

Phoenix Wright isn't entirely like that nor is Danganronpa. Of course, those are kind of genre hybrids, but still at least partially address those complaints.

Also, aren't you a Persona fan? That has VN elements as well.

rekameohs

Banned
Where should I start? I'm painfully arcade-wired when it comes to games, I have a rather low tolerance for cut-scenes and QTEs, so I'm not sure I can be converted :/

I would say that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney would be a great jumping in point. Especially if you have a 3DS - the Trilogy release coming soon will be a steal!

So do I still love a lot of VNs though. Start with ace attorney 1. It's not exactly a visual novel, but it's a great start for people wanting to get into text based games. Plus it's cheap and available on multiple Nintendo platforms as iOS.

Phoenix Wright isn't entirely like that nor is Danganronpa. Of course, those are kind of genre hybrids, but still at least partially address those complaints.

I'm amazed by how alive everyone in Danganronpa feels even if they just have several pieces of art per character, one of my favorite parts of the series.

Top Bottom