• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Really? 0_0

Hmmm...what class did you have the most fun with?

Wizard does more damage I'm pretty sure and from range, but as you pointed out, it has a heavy reliance on SP which makes crafting a large amount of SP potions and chugging them constantly a necessity. Oh and also, it only does the most damage later on, it's actually pretty garbage early on.

Merc I think would be second(or first early on), Hunter and Paladin seem about the same.

Merc will be slow though, that's kinda the point, it does big hits but swings slowly and leaves you open. It requires timing the attacks properly and waiting for a good moment to attack rather than mashing keys(on top of that you REALLY want to get the combo right so mashing keys is awful, but that's for every class really).

If you prefer faster pace, Hunter or Paladin is fine. I'd say Paladin is probably kinda better, Hunter is super safer but their godmode is so-so and their special is pretty bad, so for endgame they're not that great. Paladin on the other hand keeps getting better.

In the end though it's really a matter of preference. I played Hunter for a while, then I switched to Merc and at endgame I switched to Wizard. I never played Paladin much other than maxing it, but it's certainly a good class.

Really? 0_0

Hmmm...what class did you have the most fun with?
I probably use Paladin the most because it does good damage and is pretty quick. (Plus the bonus of having the shield.)

I use all the classes though, so I don't really specialize in one over the other.

Robin64

FL has one of the most annoying StreetPass functions. If you get a bunch of people at once, going round and getting them to 100% is just not fun.

I'm pretty sure Orlando, one of the Woodcutter related party members, is gay. He keeps talking about "someone special", but never once mentions a gender. And considering how many times he brings this up I'm pretty sure the omission of gender is intentional. (Considering this in an NoA translation.)

If anyone is familiar with the Japanese version, can you comment on this? It would be pretty awesome if that was true. :)

(Though if it is, it's pretty lame that NoA is just dancing around it.)

yayaba

Wife and I both got this for Christmas. She was really into Animal Crossing and Rune Factory 4 so being able to semi co-op this together was the appeal.

She's about 11 hours into it, 7 for me. I had to slow her pace down though since she was just kind of barreling ahead with the Butterfly quests, not really understanding the point of the meta-game with leveling up all of the Life's and being able to have each one feed into another. She was definitely getting frustrated not being able to kill anything and it started turning into one giant run-through-the-whole-level for her to get to the next long winded conversation.

Conversely, I've been just doing Life stuff and Villager Quests and having a blast with only a smattering of main line story.

Once I got her on the same page as I we've been having a blast going through each Life one by one, doing the Challenges together, doing Villager Quests together, getting bounties, fighting together, mining together, crafting for each other, etc.

I think this is one game where the meta-game is better than the actual story game since from what I've seen the actual story seems pretty long winded with a lot of dialogue and not much action other than fetch quests.

Delstius

Wife and I both got this for Christmas. She was really into Animal Crossing and Rune Factory 4 so being able to semi co-op this together was the appeal.

She's about 11 hours into it, 7 for me. I had to slow her pace down though since she was just kind of barreling ahead with the Butterfly quests, not really understanding the point of the meta-game with leveling up all of the Life's and being able to have each one feed into another. She was definitely getting frustrated not being able to kill anything and it started turning into one giant run-through-the-whole-level for her to get to the next long winded conversation.

Conversely, I've been just doing Life stuff and Villager Quests and having a blast with only a smattering of main line story.

Once I got her on the same page as I we've been having a blast going through each Life one by one, doing the Challenges together, doing Villager Quests together, getting bounties, fighting together, mining together, crafting for each other, etc.

I think this is one game where the meta-game is better than the actual story game since from what I've seen the actual story seems pretty long winded with a lot of dialogue and not much action other than fetch quests.

Yeah the story just serves a (kind of tedious) unlocking purpose. The game is all about mastering each Life a little more everytime, playing on their interdependence and enjoying the progression. Rushing through the story is the best way to bore yourself to death.
That being said I enjoyed some (very stupid) moments of the story.

Velinos

I got this game for Christmas and am loving it. I got Apprentice rank in both Angler and Miner so far. Next on my list is Blacksmith. My plan is to get Apprentice on all eight non-combat lives and then move on to the combat oriented ones.

FL has one of the most annoying StreetPass functions. If you get a bunch of people at once, going round and getting them to 100% is just not fun.

Aww, I just skip the people with uninteresting items.

But there's a trick if you're not aware: unless you StreetPass someone new, you can keep re-entering the same screen and talk to the visitors in the same place (although their position can change a bit) again.

Robin64

Aww, I just skip the people with uninteresting items.

But there's a trick if you're not aware: unless you StreetPass someone new, you can keep re-entering the same screen and talk to the visitors in the same place (although their position can change a bit) again.

Ah cool. I was going to sleep each time!

Robin64

New code for Europe via Twitter.

Surf's up! (Deckchair bed)

B6GvAZSIMAAmvT-.png:small

yayaba

Seriously just had one of my funnest gaming moments with my wife earlier today. We switched over to Paladin to start on the Fledging challenges, got those out of the way quickly while also making a pit stop at Haniwa cave to catch some Catfish for Apprentice Angler.

We had started mining yesterday, only up to getting Apprentice status so I saw we had some quests up in the Waterfall Cave so off we went to explore some new areas.

Running through the cave with her was just awesome, being able to play the game almost like an MMO, teaming up to take down monsters, collecting bounties, finding new ores to mine, collecting treasures. We ran into an Iron Golem which was the toughest monster we had yet to face so one person would block while the other used the Paladin spin move and we slowly whittled away his health and felt really accomplished when we took him down and got the bounty.

Usually I have dozens of these experiences playing WoW or other games but being able to do it with my wife who's a super casual gamer (think Candy Crush and Animal Crossing) was just a blast. She's really picking up on the meta-game now with doing multiple lives and getting really into completing the challenges for them too.

Seriously just had one of my funnest gaming moments with my wife earlier today. We switched over to Paladin to start on the Fledging challenges, got those out of the way quickly while also making a pit stop at Haniwa cave to catch some Catfish for Apprentice Angler.

We had started mining yesterday, only up to getting Apprentice status so I saw we had some quests up in the Waterfall Cave so off we went to explore some new areas.

Running through the cave with her was just awesome, being able to play the game almost like an MMO, teaming up to take down monsters, collecting bounties, finding new ores to mine, collecting treasures. We ran into an Iron Golem which was the toughest monster we had yet to face so one person would block while the other used the Paladin spin move and we slowly whittled away his health and felt really accomplished when we took him down and got the bounty.

Usually I have dozens of these experiences playing WoW or other games but being able to do it with my wife who's a super casual gamer (think Candy Crush and Animal Crossing) was just a blast. She's really picking up on the meta-game now with doing multiple lives and getting really into completing the challenges for them too.
That's really awesome.

I think this game has a lot to offer to all types of gamers, so it's cool that you guys can experience it together.

Fusebox

Banned
I got this game for Xmas GAF and I fucking LOVE this game. They should call it Fantasy Crack.

Started as a blacksmith, did a bit of mining, now I'm a paladin so I go out mine ore, make boss armour and then equip it. There's such a wicked synergy between some of these Lifes and this has that 'one more mission' thing going on big time.

I got this game for Xmas GAF and I fucking LOVE this game. They should call it Fantasy Crack.

Started as a blacksmith, did a bit of mining, now I'm a paladin so I go out mine ore, make boss armour and then equip it. There's such a wicked synergy between some of these Lifes and this has that 'one more mission' thing going on big time.
Yeah, most of the lives weave together really nicely. The only one that's kinda solitary is Cook, but it's still fun too.

Just wait until you get deep into the game, the chain reactions between different jobs and discoveries gets really addicting.

Elija2

Hey guys, I'm having troubles with the stirring parts of the blacksmith/carpenter/etc. minigames. Are you just supposed to hold the A button down during those parts or do you have to release the button at the correct time?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hey guys, I'm having troubles with the stirring parts of the blacksmith/carpenter/etc. minigames. Are you just supposed to hold the A button down during those parts or do you have to release the button at the correct time?

You hold it down, just make sure to let go after it fills all the way.

Edit: Yeah, like tm24 says, you can continue to hold it if there are multiple stirrings, but otherwise you should let go.

tm24

just hold. If there's a series of stirring, you don't even have to let go in between them

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just got this. Created a fat little girl alchemist with a battle scar haha.

It's kind of slow to get going. Does it pick up in the terms of the main story or side quests?

Elija2

You hold it down, just make sure to let go after it fills all the way.

Edit: Yeah, like tm24 says, you can continue to hold it if there are multiple stirrings, but otherwise you should let go.

just hold. If there's a series of stirring, you don't even have to let go in between them

Oh, so I guess the reason I'm not getting "Nice!" or "Great!" is because my stats are too low. Thanks guys.

LaserHawk

This sounds exactly like my experience with the game. I've been really frustrated how, even after four hours, it still feels like I'm getting tutorials. And I keep wondering when I'm just going to be FREE and able to explore and play at my own pace. The dialogue sequences have been really frustrating for me and I have grown to hate the story element of the game.

I had mostly resigned to quitting the game, but maybe I need to do like you and be less tethered to the butterfly garbage.

Just finished my first Job Master Special Request (catching the Poseidon Swordfish), and man was it satisfying. Got a great run of Goddess Statue items afterward too. 8 rare items in a row with no doubles. :)

Just got this. Created a fat little girl alchemist with a battle scar haha.

It's kind of slow to get going. Does it pick up in the terms of the main story or side quests?
The main story is very laid back with almost no combat (this is because some people may choose to play through the game in one of the crafting classes only), but the sidequests will soon explode if you want them too. You can have literally dozens on the go at the same time if you play multiple Life classes, and that is where the bulk of the combat in the game will come from.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Getting the hang of it, doing mining and alchemy. Question: Is it possible to not fight at all in this game? I'm at Waterfall Cave and rocks are blocking my path. Do I have to fight in order to progress?

Linius

Getting the hang of it, doing mining and alchemy. Question: Is it possible to not fight at all in this game? I'm at Waterfall Cave and rocks are blocking my path. Do I have to fight in order to progress?

Some monsters you need to fight in order to have rocks go away. Usually inside caves this happens. In that same cave there's a big guy near the end, you'll have to end him to progress to the next portion of the cave. And so on.

Delstius

You can complete the story and a lot of things without fighting, but those blocking rocks only open if you kill the monsters around it. If you don't want a fighting job, the npc in your party can do that for you.

Linius

So you basically just don't run trough the caves but ignore them. That's one way of playing of course. It's interesting that it's possible.

yayaba

This sounds exactly like my experience with the game. I've been really frustrated how, even after four hours, it still feels like I'm getting tutorials. And I keep wondering when I'm just going to be FREE and able to explore and play at my own pace. The dialogue sequences have been really frustrating for me and I have grown to hate the story element of the game.

I had mostly resigned to quitting the game, but maybe I need to do like you and be less tethered to the butterfly garbage.

I would say just do the butterfly quests when you start getting challenges for areas that you haven't been to. Otherwise as someone else said you'll bore yourself to death.

Zareka

Can you give other people money/Dosh? Eg if I make my girlfriend a shield can she pay me for it?

Game is awesome btw. I've basically ignored the story entirely and focused on my Lives and I haven't stopped playing all day. I wasn't even planning to play this either.

Chairhome

My daughter (7yo) loves this game. She beat the story, is level 31 and is currently leveling up various jobs and slowly getting to 50 so she can do the origin island dlc. I'm level 21 and just got to al majik so I'm catching up. Any tips for quicker grinding so she can do the dlc?

Chaos17

The pacing I advise people to follow is to > level up their jobs until they've no more chanllenges in the area then advances the story.
You will notice then how little place the story has in the game comparing of the time you're free.
The story is only there to introduce the world and unlock new companions.

Can you give other people money/Dosh? Eg if I make my girlfriend a shield can she pay me for it?
No.

My daughter (7yo) loves this game. She beat the story, is level 31 and is currently leveling up various jobs and slowly getting to 50 so she can do the origin island dlc. I'm level 21 and just got to al majik so I'm catching up. Any tips for quicker grinding so she can do the dlc?
No need to rush since the goal of the game is to max up the jobs.
She will easely become level 50 if she do her jobs.
Otherwise the only double exp item available will be buyable with Lunares coin so only for DLC.

Game is awesome btw. I've basically ignored the story entirely and focused on my Lives and I haven't stopped playing all day. I wasn't even planning to play this either.

Well, you can buy jewels etc. and then gift them, although you'd lose 50% of your money after selling them.

noquarter

Really have been enjoying this game. Picked it up and started playing at the beginning of December and am currently at 75 hrs. Only level 61, but with the exception of Alchemist and Wizard, ask my lifes are Mastered, with Mercenary and Paladin being Hero level. Still having beat the main story, but thinking of running through it and buying the DLC.

Played the game solely single player, never having an ally except when required. Think the way the Lifes help each other is pretty cool and motivated me to change lives. Did the first two chapters as a Miner before deciding that I wanted to see what the other lifes had in store. Glad I did because I might have gotten tired of the game pretty quick if I didn't.

Glad I didn't read any reviews or anything before buying it and playing it, they probably would have dissuaded me from getting it. Right now it is my most played game of 2014 and also my favorite.

NeoZylom

Really have been enjoying this game. Picked it up and started playing at the beginning of December and am currently at 75 hrs. Only level 61, but with the exception of Alchemist and Wizard, ask my lifes are Mastered, with Mercenary and Paladin being Hero level. Still having beat the main story, but thinking of running through it and buying the DLC.

Played the game solely single player, never having an ally except when required. Think the way the Lifes help each other is pretty cool and motivated me to change lives. Did the first two chapters as a Miner before deciding that I wanted to see what the other lifes had in store. Glad I did because I might have gotten tired of the game pretty quick if I didn't.

Glad I didn't read any reviews or anything before buying it and playing it, they probably would have dissuaded me from getting it. Right now it is my most played game of 2014 and also my favorite.

I came to say the exact same thing! Thanks for sparing me some time :)

The DLC adds quite a lot. I highly recommend it.

Fusebox

Banned
I wish the people I meet via Streetpass would add presents to their profile! I've got 100% friendship with 3 people and only one gave me a present and that was some entry level health potion.

Chaos17

You did a good thing!
That game was totally overlooked by most of the reviewers who seems to have only sticked to the story and didn't bothered to explore the game outside of the it. So they totally bashed it in a lof of case.

noquarter

The DLC adds quite a lot. I highly recommend it.
Think I'm going to use the rest of my Wii U DDP money to get it, think I have $10.
You did a good thing!
That game was totally overlooked by most of the reviewers who seems to have only sticked to the story and didn't bothered to explore the game outside of the it. So they totally bashed it in a lof of case.
Read a couple and Jeremy Parishes write to and that is what it seems, they went through the game as fast as possible and were bored with it. Makes sense, I guess, but the missed out on so much. I really enjoy the non-pressure of classes like Angler and Miner, fun to just go find a place to get more ore or a new type of fish. The crafting classes are a little dull, so usually just grind a little here and there, but I do like seeing my materials bring turned into something usable by my combat classes. A really interesting mechanic that on paper almost turned me off, only curiosity got me to it.

Really think my biggest complaint is the story, some of those moments just drag on and they are almost just me clicking the A-button as fast as possible. Really wish they would have shortened most of the story bits and used Level 5's awesome animation abilities more. I am a sucker for their animation, and it probably would have caused then to use more restraint in turn keeping my attention longer.

Guess now ask I can do is hope this somehow gets a sequel.

Top Bottom