• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter Oct 3 - Oct 30 preview build

Agreed. But I'm a lot more tolerant of it in certain genres. Adventure games and turn-based RPGs, for example.

Disregarding character controls, the 30 FPS thing really hurts Hyper Light Drifter's camera. It stutters all over the place. I hope it's just a beta thing.

I hope so too. Beau Blyth (combat designer) also worked on Samurai Gunn, I heard that was 30fps locked, too? How did that feel to players?

Agreed. But I'm a lot more tolerant of it in certain genres. Adventure games and turn-based RPGs, for example.

Disregarding character controls, the 30 FPS thing really hurts Hyper Light Drifter's camera. It stutters all over the place. I hope it's just a beta thing.

This is my main problem, not the number itself.

robotrock

Banned
I hope so too. Beau Blyth (combat designer) also worked on Samurai Gunn, I heard that was 30fps locked, too? How did that feel to players?

Samurai Gunn feels incredible to play. Haven't had the chance to play Hyper Light Drifter yet but I'm hoping it's on the level of Samurai Gunn.

CRS

Not really noticing any stutters either. I guess I'm just glad that the 30 FPS frame rate doesn't bother me since I'm loving the demo so much.

hitsugi

ugh i'm missing THREE DIAMONDS and one of the weapons. This preview is surprisingly large; I think a lot of people would have missed things within that 2-3 day window. A month is more than adequate, though. Still wish they had included the co-op arena, but maybe we'll see that in the future prior to the release.

CRS

Yeah, I was really hoping for a Horde mode of sorts. An endless arena. Since I'm pretty much done with the game, all I'm doing now is practicing how quickly I can do the demo.

PaulloDEC

It's true. I never even considered that it wouldn't run at 60. Just figured the low framerate in videos was due to Youtube's 30 FPS limit.

I'm not getting that latency.

I agree about the camera movement being choppy but that might just be down to the 30 FPS thing.

I'm not noticing that kind of input lag and I'm using a 360 controller as well.

PSY・S;132833159 said:
I'm using a DS4 and there's no lag.

Interesting. I've just done a test with keyboard and mouse, and the result looks about the same, i.e. I can have a direction key pressed for two frames of video, and the character won't start moving until the third frame, at which point my finger has already lifted off the key.

I might email the devs and see what they think.

hitsugi

A "New Game +" run takes me about 10 minutes to finish from the intro screen to the return elevator switch at the end. That's with the
Crossbow? type
weapon and
the metroid bombs

It's a lot of fun but I need to delete my save so I can do a fresh run and see how long that takes.

I took a glance at your runs - did you know you can dash around while controlling
the metroid bombs
? It's tricky, but interesting. Not sure I saw anyone mention it in this thread yet

CRS

I took a glance at your runs - did you know you can dash around while controlling
the metroid bombs
? It's tricky, but interesting. Not sure I saw anyone mention it in this thread yet

Yep! That's something I want to work on. The guys with the rifles are the most annoying so using the weapon while dashing their shots will take some getting used to.

Gattsu25

Banned
This beta is FANTASTIC.

What a fucking amazing experience.

I did get an error while playing through a large arena room with over 5 waves of enemy spawns

Code:
of Other Event: User Defined 5
for object Leaper:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.fricOn(102581, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_Leaper_Other_15
############################################################################################

It was nice to get the white cloak (on the last day lol)
ibtOO6Zzofv9Pi.gif

I'm guessing some people might have figured this out, but I asked Heartmachinez on the Double Fine Day of the Devs twitch stream about why the choice for 30fps:

icRGuaNd8abAa.png

iNswZsb5dxXlJ.png

iMWDH52heBuxu.png

iSzp2i0BIFFlf.png

Turns out hand drawn animation at 60fps is not easy.

epmode

I guess I don't understand. Lots of hand animated 2D games run at 60 FPS even though the sprites themselves don't change animation frames that often.

This is honestly a big deal for an action game like this. The screen is constantly scrolling in all directions and it never stops feeling choppy and sluggish.

60 FPS should have been the first stretch goal. Worry about the billion ports after that's been sorted.

Momentary

Banned
It negatively affect action games that are designed to play at 60fps only. That's very obviously not the case for this one, there are ample buffers for every action you can take and everything moves at a reasonable pace.

COeb.gif

This gif destroys what you just said. That right there affects gameplay.

Edit: I admit that this gif is wrong. I just tested the game out of my fight stick on PC and I didn't experience any input latency on my monitor.

Momentary

Banned
like i said in the other thread, slowing a gif down blows it waaaaay out of proportion. let's see it at 100% speed.

Well I just tested it myself on my monitor and there's nothing wrong. But if a game did have that much latency it would drive me nuts. That much input lag would destroy inputs for links in a game like Street Fighter IV.

Top Bottom