• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video games with great lore

I grew up reading all these books and getting immersed in all these kinds of worlds in them. I owe a lot to literature. It's a way of life for me seeing as how it's shaped and continues to shape my being: my ideologies, my imagination, and my lifestyle.

Video games have the same power. We have all these talented people who write these riveting stories and create these fantastical worlds that, amazingly enough, reflect our own "ordinary" lives and "plain" world. We're privileged to have them as a means of supreme entertainment and even profound inspiration. Two of these games for me are:

Dark Souls - To be honest, I'm very surprised at how much lore the game contains and it's very fascinating. Dark Souls is beautifully tragic. It's unfair to call it to Shakespeare, but it's the only thing that elicited the emotion I felt from Macbeth and King Lear. It's about people who hoped and loved but were ultimately fell.

BioShock - People say BioShock is a great fusion of Alfred Hitchcock and Jules Verne, a fascinating blend indeed. Ken Levine told us that it was greatly influenced by Ayn Rand, someone who's not seen as literary, not even in the slightest sense of the world. Regardless of its inspirations, Bioshock has great lore. From the Civil War and the great personalities to the art deco and the Big Daddies and Little Sisters, there's a lot to explore here both entertainment-wise and philosophically. It helps that Rapture is one of the greatest game worlds to ever be effectuated.

I'd like to ask for video games like these. The lore doesn't have to be really deep; it just has to be great.

EDIT: If I may ask, can you give a brief exposition on what the game is about even for titles I already know or should know (there may be new insights or details that will arise thanks to how you present it). I'm not sure if I can play all the given games but I'd still be interested in exploring them.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm a huge Star Trek fan, so Mass Effect is a given for me.

The lore of Final Fantasy XI with its four kingdoms and the wealth of history is up there too.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Had a blast with the Mass Effect logs. really upped my experience with the game, still one of my favorites of last gen. Shame about the sequels.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I actually don't like the Halo series but always enjoyed the lore, I thinks it's the only reason I play them.

The lore surrounding Kotor is also fantastic but that is obviously built up a from a few different mediums. Mass Effect and Bioshock were also very well developed out of the gate.

Mass Effect and Metal Gear games as a saga. The stuff just keeps piling on and it's amazing if you're invested in all of it :D

Metroid Prime still had my favorite example of lore and story telling, because it's all actually very detailed and only is presented to the player if they actively pursue it.

Mknzy

For me it has to be the main line Suikoden series. The fact that all the games took place in the same world, and all the history of the True Runes and the different kingdoms that you adventured in. It was one of the things that made me love the series so much, and the fact that there are little storylines that will likely never be told at this point, such as the story of what was going on with Pessmerga and Yuber, makes me sad indeed.

I grew up reading all these books and getting immersed in all these kinds of worlds in them. I owe a lot to literature. It's a way of life for me seeing as how it's shaped and continues to shape my being: my ideologies, my imagination, and my lifestyle.

Video games have the same power. We have all these talented people who write these riveting stories and create these fantastical worlds that, amazingly enough, reflect our own "ordinary" lives and "plain" world. We're privileged to have them as a means of supreme entertainment and even profound inspiration. Two of these games for me are:

Dark Souls - To be honest, I'm very surprised at how much lore the game contains and it's very fascinating. Dark Souls is beautifully tragic. It's unfair to call it to Shakespeare, but it's the only thing that elicited the emotion I felt from Macbeth and King Lear. It's about people who hoped and loved but were ultimately fell.

BioShock - People say BioShock is a great fusion of Alfred Hitchcock and Jules Verne, a fascinating blend indeed. Ken Levine told us that it was greatly influenced by Ayn Rand, someone who's not seen as literary, not even in the slightest sense of the world. Regardless of its inspirations, Bioshock has great lore. From the Civil War and the great personalities to the art deco and the Big Daddies and Little Sisters, there's a lot to explore here both entertainment-wise and philosophically. It helps that Rapture is one of the greatest game worlds to ever be effectuated.

I'd like to ask for video games like these. The lore doesn't have to be really deep; it just has to be great.

You mention Bishock - Levine was actually on a podcast last week talking abuot the religious influences in the game. It's well worth a listen.

http://gamechurch.com/gamechurch-po...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Trojan

-KOTOR did a great job harnessing existing lore and making strong additions to that framework that enhanced the new characters.
-Definitely agree on Dark Souls
-My all-time favorite is Mass Effect

Mass Effect's lore was amazing, really well-done stuff.

I also really liked the world Square built for Final Fantasy X. The relationship between the various factions of humanity and how their religions and actions intersected was very deep. Some of the plot was nonsensical, but the underlying elements drew me in.

Planescape: Torment. There is no equal.

That's kinda cheating though, since the universe was created within a world that already existed in fiction.

Alavard

Nier.

Most of it isn't revealed until near the end of the game, and the full implications don't become clear until your second playthrough (where you can understand all enemy speech and see things from their point of view).

The more you know, the more tragic the story becomes.

Vagrant Story. A surprisingly big lore for a such a short game. The world felt believable and rich with legends, feats, past stories, etc.

Malreyn

Dynasty Warriors has a huge amount of lore (given its based off of Romance of Three Kingdoms) that you can read via the timeline and biography sections of the encyclopedia menu

Regurgitating a lot of suggestions already made in this topic:

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Halo (good lore, poor storytelling)
Killzone (good lore, fuckawful storytelling)
Metroid Prime
Mass Effect
Velocity 2X (it's really minimal, but I like what is there)
Dragon's Dogma (I really like the story about the
cycle of the dragon being sent into the world until such a time a worthy Arisen can defeat it and take the place of the Seneschal
)
Dead Space
The Last of Us (it's the little things I like in the environmental storytelling)

Loxley

Outside of the more wacky stuff Blizzard does with the universe in WoW, the novels they publish to coincide with a particular patch or expansion's release have indeed had a steady stream of quality. Particularly the ones written by Christie Golden.

ScOULaris

Not sure if this technically counts, but I think the God of War series does some really interesting, stylized things with the pre-existing lore of Greek Mythology. I've always enjoyed how they work in all these different characters, creatures, and events and place Kratos smack-dab in the center of historical events like the sinking of Atlantis. The series got me into more heavily investigating the greek myths in literature as well. Good stuff, even if the games themselves seem like crude, hyper-violent epics on the surface.

Yoday

So very much this.

People love to shit on World of Warcrafts's story, but those are people that haven't taken the time to actually read into any of it. There is a hell of a lot of really great lore in that world with some fantastic characters. There are are also a ton of novels that are very well done that give you a more detailed look at characters and events in the timeline.

wiibomb

I also love the lore of bioshock in general, it's kind of dark with the human nature in its core, despite all the good things they try to do.

One of the games I love for its lore is Monster Hunter saga as a whole, I know it seems like empty games in the history department, however as a person who knows a lot of it and also has read some books detailing some of its core, its very deep and full of hidden history that is rarely told.

in fact I hate that part, because there is a great potential in exploiting the lore of the game.

As I heard before, Dark Souls and its games are similar in that aspect, the lore is there, but well hidden for those who look for it.

DedValve

Banned
Mass Effect and classic Resident Evils where my shit. As a kid I remember reading the strategy guide for REmake/RE0 and reading all the extra backstory and shit on the T-Virus and the Umbrella Corporation.

I really like the shift towards global bioterrorism but killing off Umbrella and having the viruses act more nonsensical with each passing game really ticked me off. I also hated the happy ending of RE6, I will be massively interested in a post RE6 world. There's no way they can just brush it off after that unlike Terragrigia and Raccoon City.

This is a really cool thread!
I also love the lore of bioshock in general, it's kind of dark with the human nature in its core, despite all the good things they try to do.

One of the games I love for its lore is Monster Hunter saga as a whole, I know it seems like empty games in the history department, however as a person who knows a lot of it and also has read some books detailing some of its core, its very deep and full of hidden history that is rarely told.

in fact I hate that part, because there is a great potential in exploiting the lore of the game.

As I heard before, Dark Souls and its games are similar in that aspect, the lore is there, but well hidden for those who look for it.
Dark Souls more often presents you with elements of the world at the end of their life, tasks you with ending them, and makes you wonder who they were.

Monster Hunter lore is much more hidden.

Top Bottom