• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you like but dread playing

Noaloha

If you're dreading playing a game because you know it's just gonna be a grind... shit. There are better things to do with your time.

greg400

Banned
Pikmin series, I like everything about the game except for the fact that each day has a limit to how much you can do. It makes the game more stressful than fun for me.

Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Great game, but the 3DS cramps my hands something fierce (even the XL!), and that game in particular makes it flare up especially bad. I dread the pain, despite looking forward to the silly dialog and interesting plot developments.

Titanfall. I don't know if I'm going to have fun or rage.

Hah. I'm usually the highest scorer when I play with my friends, but man, when I go into matchmaking solo and play with shitty people I just lose it; I even start legitimately sucking. I decided that I don't play Titanfall without at least one other friend with me, which isn't hard; I have like 10 friends with the damn game. lol

Dark Souls II.

Ugh. I tried to solo the game when it came out, but close to the very end, I just lost my will to fight. I think I just needed to get one last Soul of a Giant, but that huge dragon roflstomped me.

I should add I've beaten DeS and DS1, as well. There was just something about this one that drained me emotionally.

Dark Souls.

Sure, it seems to be a great game. And I really love the way they ingrained the lore into the world, it looks like every little thing gives a glimpse into a universe that's put together very well.

But I neither have the ability, nor the patience, nor the time for the challenge. I'd like to have some kind of Dark Souls Easy mode, just to soak up the atmosphere and lore, but I also understand that this would destroy the experience that makes it worthwhile.

Mupod

Dark Souls.

I played a few hours of Demon's Souls and I was having a lot of fun... And then when you first get to the tower hub level, I randomly picked the prison stage since it doesn't tell you where to go. I died so many times to those floating guys that can one hit kill you... Got pissed and stopped playing.

Months later I tell my friend this and he says "oh the prison is one of the hardest levels, you shouldn't start with it. And use fire spells on the floating guys, they die instantly."

Granted... I really wanted to play this game WITHOUT a strategy guide or looking on the Internet... But how the fuck was I supposed to know these things? The game doesn't really tell you, and I didn't have the patience to go with trial and error everywhere all the time.

Now I really wanna try Dark Souls since I've heard so much good stuff about it, and I DO like a good challenge. I'm just afraid of living a situation like the prison. It's a shame because I died tons of times without feeling cheated by the game, and was having a blast until that happened... If it's how it works though, maybe this time of game just isn't for me?

There's a 'wrong way' early in Dark Souls but it's pretty obvious you shouldn't be there. Some good stuff if you're not afraid to die a few times to grab it, but it won't take long to get and you don't need it anyways.

It seems that some people end up taking the wrong path in these games and committing to it because they have the games built up to be some kind of impossible ordeal in their minds. So normally you'd have the instinct to turn back but if you think the game is supposed to be impossible then you just figure it's intentional. I have friends who won't even try them because they think they are masochism simulators with constant cheap deaths. But I know for a fact they've finished way harder games.

For perspective I did demon's souls as blind as I could, and died less than 15 times the entire playthrough outside of intentional suicides. But I went REALLY slowly and carefully. And I only played it at the beginning of this year, so I had a lot of random unavoidable knowledge gained via osmosis from the internet like how to make Flamelurker easy.

My approach to Souls games is that if it feels like I shouldn't be there...see how far in I can get. There's probably some good loot if I can pull it off. If not...oh well, come back later.

Unity2012

Yep, any Multiplayer game these days... It's just frustrating rather than entertaining; takes away the fun part for me.

Any FPS online game, including Counter Strike GO, Battlefield 4, etc

I dont turn on my devices every day and I usually only have an hour to play games, so that means everytime I feel like playing those titles, I just dont, because I know upon trying to open them, I will get huge updates that will eat up my entire play time.

Havent touched BF4 since launch because of that, I know its silly, and im glad companies patch/improve games, but it gets in my way to actually play them.

I wish PC worked like the PS3/4 where my updates are always waiting from me.

Another vote for Dark Souls, at least, until I started playing while following a walkthrough. Call it cheating, or cheapening the game, but it's the only way I can get through some of the pain (to me, the frustration comes not from the difficulty, but the lack of a sense of direction). It makes the game a million times more enjoyable to me and I suggest it to any first time Souls players.

Ralemont

not me
The Witcher 2. Great game, great RPG, fond memories, but whenever I try and replay it I just hate the fucking controls so much.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Grand Theft Auto V after finishing the game.

Go in and have fun with the world but I usually come out pretty bored and disappointed which is why I hesitate whenever I open the case now.

And don't get me fucking started on GTA Online.

I've bought all Harvest Moon games from Harvest Moon 64. I RARELY play them more than some hours because I'm scared of fucking up. I usually wait for "the perfect moment" to start them and that perfect moment never comes...

zruben

Banned
oh, I just remembered another one.

Shadow of the Colossus.
I really enjoy the colossi fights, but the empty field and clunky controls makes me feel like I'm playing a beta demo.

inb4 2DEEP4U: I "get" what they were aiming for with that, I just find it kinda jarring in a videogame.

Struct09

Dota 2. I love the game, but it's an hour investment and there's always a chance of getting paired with assholes (in pub games at least)

jonezer4

Madden 15.

I like the gameplay a lot. But it has to be a solid 5 minutes of loading before I can get from the PS4 menu into the game.

Really missing that suspend feature Sony.

And why can't Madden at the very least give me the option to automatically bypass all the stupid prompts when I'm loading up as well. There's a completely superfluous 'Press X" or something screen that takes place after the first 2 minutes of loading but before the next two. Me pressing X does absolutely nothing but ensure I have to be sitting around waiting for the damn game to load instead of going off and making a sandwich or something.

I'm not really having the time of my life with Wasteland 2. I've only put a few hours in it though. I think I'm just spoiled from Divinity: Original Sin

Scoot2005

Banned
Killzone Shadowfall MP. I love it but I get infuriated so fast with it.

Outlast. I love horror,survival horror but fuck this game.

Dysun

Bethesda RPG's (and Obsidian by proxy)

I always dread starting them because I know it's going to be a 150+ hour commitment. I usually get so engrossed that I can't play anything else for a month or two. Leads me to having New Vegas and Skyrim in my backlog for ages

Dimmle

Mostly JRPGs. I tend to abandon those around the 20 hour mark whether I'm enjoying them or not, unless they're really exceptional.

Zaku

Pretty much any horror game, for obvious reasons. I can't stand ones which offer no means of fighting back whatsoever.

Fighting games, too, cause the same pre-match jitters mentioned by OP. Especially if it's someone with a rank vastly higher than mine or an obviously new account, because I don't know whether I'm going to get destroyed or not. I don't mind a good fight, but if the best I've done in any match is a few light jabs it's annoying.

Highwind

Tales of Vesperia PS3 edition.

I mean, I like side quests but the amount of missables (and what is actually missable) with small windows is getting fucking ridiculous at this point.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I am incredibly bad at DKC: Tropical Freeze but I love it. If you go into the community thread you can see my recent rants about it. It's pretty pathetic, honestly.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
survival horror titles

i love the genre but i feel like i have to mentally prepare myself for them... dead space 1 was particularly stressful

E the Shaggy

Any game specifically where you've been playing for a while and die not having gotten to a save point, so you know you'll have to do everything again.

Damn you Persona 4!

Joezie

KOTOR 2.

I absolutely love the game, but I dread new playthroughs because Peragus and the Citadel Station over Telos IV are so mindbogglingly boring and bland, not to mention they drag out REAL fast.

Brofield

I'm at the final boss on Darksiders. I have no health potions or Wrath restorations, and I can't beat him when he's in his humanoid demon form. I'm essentially fucked, and I don't want to watch the last cutscene on youtube because I haven't beaten a game in so long now; I have so many in my backlog

I dreaded going back to Dark Souls when going through my first playthrough, but it was a good kind of dread. A dread of not knowing what's coming next, and am I ready to handle it. Stumbling through the game for the first time was brilliant. Wish I could go back to that feeling. Roll on Bloodborne.

Oh, and the bad kind of dread: I was stuck on Ornstead and Smough for weeks. I dreaded booting up the game then, even on NG+.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pokémon X and Y, I enjoy the game until I reach Shalour City where the game just falls apart for me.

Pikmin games, because I really hate losing Pikmin. It kind of stresses me out.

I know that feeling, unless they are a yellow Pikmin, for some reason they keep disobeying me.

oh, I just remembered another one.

Shadow of the Colossus.
I really enjoy the colossi fights, but the empty field and clunky controls makes me feel like I'm playing a beta demo.

inb4 2DEEP4U: I "get" what they were aiming for with that, I just find it kinda jarring in a videogame.

That is exactly how I feel when playing Shadow of the Colossus the empty field is just boring.

Zelda it ain't.

Kayant

Gears of war 3

Please no lag, 2+ person with retro launchers is my thought process for each game. Which mostly ends of happening especially lag :(

gelf

Civilization V. I don't know if I'm going to end up putting in 30 minutes or 6 hours.

I'm still yet to touch the expansions for this reason.

Any game that I know is going to be a big time commitment always takes more effort for me to get started with.

Capitan

KOTOR 2.

I absolutely love the game, but I dread new playthroughs because Peragus and the Citadel Station over Telos IV are so mindbogglingly boring and bland, not to mention they drag out REAL fast.

I played it a long time ago, and had trouble getting back into it for this reason. But, there's a "skip peragus" mod out there, so i've been replaying it.

For me, Dark Souls. I like the game, I just rarely feel in the mood to play it.

orochi91

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

I really like this game, I do, but the characters Sarah and Lymel are fucking aweful. 3 fucking "kawaii desu~" characters in one game.... that are not optional... get that out of here please. Cut scenes are weirdly motion capped, over reactions everywhere. Poorly written, drawn out to amazing lengths for no real reason, and the voices are mostly bad all over no matter what language its in. The main character cannot decide what age he is at all clearly going from excited teenager to super deep voice manly guy when angry randomly. The odd "kay~" inflection added to the english version stiff baffles me because its not in the Japanese version. Also generally lack any music in them which is just awkward. and so on.

Then there is the game play. The maps in the game are freaking massive! Minutes to get through if you skip monsters, hours if you fight them. Of course there is no fast travel or an item to take you to a town right away for w/e area you are in. Wanna go to that third town, have to walk ALL the way there because the ship you come on is placed SUPER far from towns every time.

Combat, has so much potential but has tons of weird quirks for no reason. Quick rise, nope. Able to pick targets, Ha why would a player want to do that!? We got preemptive strikes on enemies, but guess what player our battlefields are so huge that by time you make it to an enemy they are able to act making it completely pointless to have this mechanic! Blocking? random stat, because it makes sense that way. and more.

It's basically the Star Ocean game I wanted since I started the franchise story wise, until the end, but its bogged down by so many stupid decisions, mechanics that are archaic even by SNES/PS1 RPG standards, and generally a bunch of clearly half though out decisions about the entire experience.

I like and hate this game at the same time for some reason.

Ranty post because I'm clearly playing through it right now haha.

Fuck.

I was going to play this after I finished up Rogue Galaxy. Now I'm apprehensive as hell.

jpax

Well, I do not know if I understand it correctly but for me games like Civ5 or others are games I love but cannot get the hang of it. I wish I was able to play them but most times I have to quit them after a few hours...

Top Bottom