• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I found the best third party SNES USB controller

MCD

EA7eTkul.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002B9XB0E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

iBuffalo = Buffalo so don't mind the naming thingy.

Bought this from Yamada-Denki in Tokyo and it's prolly the best gadget I bought while I was there. I was hesitant at first but Amazon reviews convinced me and now that I have personally tried it, this thing is truly great. Plug and play, no hassle. It just works.

Mozendo

Yeah it's a great controller. It felt odd at first for me because I had to get used to how hollow the controller felt, but rather than that it's my favorite controller.
D-pad also feels great, it's been awhile since I've used a good d-pad.

Zebetite

Banned
I just use a USB adapter for my Super Famicom controller. Any advantages to using a native USB controller (other than turbo button for dirty cheaters) that I ought to know about?

How's the build quality stack up to the real thing? I've had nothing but bad times with clone controllers in the past.

Duxxy3

I just use a USB adapter for my Super Famicom controller. Any advantages to using a native USB controller (other than turbo button for dirty cheaters) that I ought to know about?

How's the build quality stack up to the real thing? I've had nothing but bad times with clone controllers in the past.

So far so good on the build quality. The d-pad rocks kind of like sega controllers, rather than slide like some nintendo d-pads.

Interesting, I looked for a decent USB controller a while back but couldn't find one. Subscribed so I can pick one of these babies up at some point.

beril

adapters introduce lag

I call bullshit on this.
Unless it's an extremely shoddy adapter there should be very little difference in reading the input from a snes controller and translating it into a usb signal opposed to a native usb controller. The electronics in a SNES controller are rather basic and doesn't really do any processing that could cause any significant delay. I believe the snes can access the controllers at 1.79 MHz, so basically you're talking about fractions of a millisecond at most

Rich!

I call bullshit on this.
Unless it's an extremely shoddy adapter there should be very little difference in reading the input from a snes controller and translating it into a usb signal opposed to a native usb controller. The electronics in a SNES controller are rather basic and doesn't really do any processing that could cause any significant delay. I believe the snes can access the controllers at 1.79 MHz, so basically you're talking about fractions of a millisecond at most

Ive got two adapters and one most definitely has added lag, whether its a shitty adapter or not is the issue.

Guess I'm late to the party as always.

Not really! I still don't have one, but I've been gawking at it in my Amazon wishlist for probably a year or two now? You have one, so you've got a leg up on me. From everything I've ever seen, Buffalo are just pretty great with hardware in general. The only negatives that I've ever read about this controller have been scattered complaints about the D-pad, but they seem pretty isolated. Most reviews I've seen say that by feel and by look, it's basically a dead ringer for an official Super Famicom controller.

41nI2xRXGGL._SY355_.jpg

They're not that bad. I've got a pair and the only issue I have is that they don't work with NES games when played on a Retro Duo.

On a related note, I've newly re-acquired an N64 and a Genesis -- are there any worthwhile wireless controllers for either of those using RF or Bluetooth at this point too?

Rich!

wow, they straight up ripped the design.
is nintendo aware of this?

They are fully aware, afaik its licenced.

Remember that buffalo produced the official Nintendo WiFi connection USB adapters.

Either way, if it isnt endorsed by nintendo, who gives a shit.

Akai__

I was looking at several SNES USB Controllers, but it looks like I will get one of those, then.

Thanks for posting OP.

didn't know they existed, I should probably get one along with an N64 one if they exist as well.

This, I didn't know they existed, so thanks OP.

That said, my SNES controllers are actually in remarkably good shape, though I'm sure they are do for some cleaning (the stuff I pulled out of my NES controllers.... *shudder*)

openrob

There was a Wireless SNES controller from the 90s that took over both SNES ports. Me and my big brother had it. However each controller took 3 or 4 triple A batteries.

I used to have a pair of wireless snes controllers that came packaged with this infa red receiver that had two cables that ran off into the controller ports. Mine had this big green IR sender at the top of the controller. Consider my suprise when everyone talked about the GC Wavebird controller that was soo revolutionary :/

fake edit:
Trying to search for the controller I had for the SNES (it was similar to the DOCS Wireless Controller in design) just led me to this page where he makes this statement:

Later on the next generation was coming along and Sega jumped in the with the DreamCast while Sony made the most successful console of all time: The PlayStation 2. A third contender joined the party being Microsoft with the Xbox, and Nintendo created the failed GameCube with probably the worst controller in recent memory. The DreamCast controller was terrible being huge and bulky with a LCD screen that tried to be inventive and let you interact with games that put up stats and also interacted with the memory card.

Who is this guy and why isn't he locked up?

simpleton

41nI2xRXGGL._SY355_.jpg

They're not that bad. I've got a pair and the only issue I have is that they don't work with NES games when played on a Retro Duo.
I have these. I found the lag made any games unplayable where instant reaction time was needed. I could barely play super Mario world.

I ended up just going back to the regular controller with a 6 foot extension.

Im assuming the n64 wireless controllers would have the same problems. Anyone have them that can comment?

Any website that ships Europe/Holland?

I got that same message, they don't ship to Australia either.

So I just ordered 2 from ebay. Slightly more expensive, but free shipping.

Great timing OP. These are gonna be perfect for the usb ports on the front of my new HyperSpin cab!!

Sir TapTap

Would these work with OSX?

It's just a directinput device. I don't have/know OSX enough to know if that's useful or not, but I don't think Directinput is technically tied to OS.

They are fully aware, afaik its licenced.

Remember that buffalo produced the official Nintendo WiFi connection USB adapters.

Either way, if it isnt endorsed by nintendo, who gives a shit.

There's no way it's licensed, despite coming up in searches for "SNES USB controller" it doesn't bear the words SNES or Nintendo anywhere on the packaging IIRC.

Zero2kz

Went to the Amazon page, saw that it said "One left in stock" I panicked and bought it instantly.

Then realized it had several sellers. Oh well, no regrets. Looks awesome.

lazygecko

Is there any controller that sort of hits the middle ground between retro 16-bit style controls and modern ones with analog sticks and such?

Sir TapTap

Any of these but Saturn and Genesis style? I'd like to collect those for emu/simple games, but the official USB saturn pads are crazy expensive and fake genesis pads have much worse reviews.

2 concave, 2 convex for lyfe. Y'all can keep that playskool shit.

I prefer the feel of the US controller but the colors of the "normal" controller

Is there any controller that sort of hits the middle ground between retro 16-bit style controls and modern ones with analog sticks and such?

Uh...wii classic controller? Though it sort of proves why modern controllers have grips, as the classic controller pro (and even moreso the Wii U pro controller) feel much better. The SNES pad works like it does because it's simpler. I'm actually amazed the SNES controller still feels as good as it does. I absolutely hate NES controllers but the SNEs pad fits quite well in the hand.

Top Bottom