• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within: Every Last Bullet Trailer

Bust Nak

I don't agree with that definition of artificial. If anything, Wii controls make it artificially easy.

If intended difficulty can be "artificial," what kind of difficulty is not "artificial"?

And if you're using artificial in the most literal sense, as in "created by humans," then why even use the word when talking about videogames? Everything is artificial which means you don't have to call any particular thing out as being such. Generally when it's used when talking about videogames it is with a negative connotation. If that's not what you intended, then maybe I'm arguing about nothing.
No, I don't meant artifical as in man made, I meant artifical as in gamey. Let me expand on what I meant. It ought not be hard to land head shots on slow moving humanoids at close range, we know how easy it is to do with the wii control, as well as any number of shooters.

To inject the sense of challenge into the game, instead of making the enemy faster, add cursor sway, the weakpoint smaller, or be able to absorb lots of damage; they choose to do that with a slow moving cursor.

Was it the best way to make gun fights with slow ass enemies dangerious? Maybe. But in the end I think the wii verson was more fun because the shooting felt natural, I was fighting the zombies and not the controls. The same general argument could be applied to the earlier resident evil games with it's tank contro or being rooted to the spot when shooting.

Zareka

Ha, I would love to game with you. Support TEW. I think it will have a casual mode that would fit an experience you could handle.

People love seeing my scared for whatever reason. The person playing PT with me was in stitches after their "Hey, click the right stick at the bathroom door!" shenanigans.

And it's not even so much the difficulty of the game. I love hard games! Resi was a bit too easy. It's the atmosphere and the actual horror part of the game that's difficult to stomach. I think I will definitely try and get this for Christmas though. Maybe ease myself in by playing during the day, first.
Same here. It looks incredible so I'm definitely going to pick it up, but at the same time I know I'll probably never finish it on account of shitting myself every time I play. Doesn't help that I usually game at night.
I think playing Amnesia alone, with headphones, lights off, door shut, no one else in the house is what's wrong with how I approach horror games. Maybe I could do with helping myself lessen the fear factor first... :p

Man I'm getting hyped for this game. As much as I hate being scared, it's so fun.

-MD-

Two weeks and we still dont know if there any extra game-modes beside campaign ?
Some sort of challenge or survival arena, like mercenaries mode from Resident Evil.

Imagine survival mode with many different types of enemies and random enemy placement. You have options to craft and find weapons on the map, then there are traps and stealth. And then there are also different charaters to play as with unique loadouts (Sebastian, his two partners....) and outfits.

Mercenaries mode in RE4 was absolutely fantastic . Dat village map !

This sounds terrible.

hwy_61

Banned
Looks great, can't wait to soil myself.

That being said, BestBuy is giving away a $10.00 gift card with pre-order. Might be online only, but works for in-store pickup.

Link

The gift card will be shipped and is not eligible for store pickup. But I think you were saying the deal is eligible for in store pickup? Anyway here's the fine print:

Free Gift Card Offer

Excludes prior purchases. Gift card will ship separately and is not available for store pickup. May not be valid in combination with other offers.

These are both taken from the Sessler interview. I think there's definitely a little bit of camera leeway depending on Sebastian's position but I'm not 100% sure. They could be different builds of the game.

RQltgRB.png

pdjeZeQ.png

We'll never get the E3 2013 version of the aim, but there is a quick aim where you just press right trigger by itself and there's no zoom. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

I noticed that too in the Sessler interview, but I just assumed some of the footage they showed was old.

In the demo, all three camera angles when aiming are used. I don't fully know what controls it, but it changes dynamically in the game depending when you pull it out, where, in what situation, I've had situation where I pull out my gun and the camera barely zooms in at all, some in a very RE4 manner, and others basically in an almost FPS type of mode.

WTF?!? Seriously? This is the first I've heard of this. I got the impression that it was 100% FPS aiming.

I am fairly certain they've said that in narrower corners the camera will zoom in further when you're aiming, but I might be wrong. It's not exactly a consistent thing (I mean, the three screenshots you've posted are all different areas too)

Screenshot 2 and 3 are the same spot. Also I've seen the camera zoom right in when the player was outside in a completely open area (it also happens in this very trailer posted in the OP). So who knows just how the hell it all works? I wish we could get an official answer straight from Bethesda, I'm really curious now.

Ateron

Maybe the aiming zoom is customizable? Either choosing dynamic or custom would help. I don't have a problem with that, but it might be a little hard to adjust at first, given the fact that you whip the gun out and never know if it's gonna be super zoomed or not, and might have to compensate for that in a split second with an enemy or two breathing down your neck. Then again, it might be on purpose so you don't get too confortable with the shooting mechanics.

RE6 took a lot of shit for having weird zooming cameras, either for exploration or just plain shooting, especially with Chris' campaign (as the guy was filling almost half of the screen) and then they added the options to customize everything regarding the camera. It was a nice gesture, come to think of it, not many would have done the same.

LE PS4's for the Japanese release

tew-ps4-jp-bundle_10-m7kdf.jpg

tew-ps4-jp-bundle_10-77kf5.jpg

Due out alongside the game on October 23, the “PlayStation 4 The Evil Within Limited Edition” includes a PlayStation 4 (either “Glacier White” or “Jet Black”) with a The Evil Within-branded cover (or Psycho Break, as it’s called in Japan), a copy of the game, the “Gore Mode” downloadable content, a SteelBook case, and the game’s original soundtrack.

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/the-evil-within-ps4-bundle-japan

leadbelly

Banned
In the demo, all three camera angles when aiming are used. I don't fully know what controls it, but it changes dynamically in the game depending when you pull it out, where, in what situation, I've had situation where I pull out my gun and the camera barely zooms in at all, some in a very RE4 manner, and others basically in an almost FPS type of mode.

Maybe it is to do with the distance they are away from you? The angle changes as they get closer? Would make sense for a few reasons.

CHC

Most exciting part of this was the environmental variety. Was previously thinking the whole game might be sepia toned hallways and torture chambers. Definitely enjoyed seeing that hotel lobby and moonlit ruined building on display, I hope this will feel like a sprawling adventure through and through.

Dyno

This was the video that sold me on the game. Looks like some great survival horror action.

I just LOVE how you upgrade/level up. Electro Shock tells me that there is a lot of twisted stuff in this game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
If anyone is interested the music from the trailer is.

Blue Stahli - "Something in the Woods?"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Posted more than 10h ago.

That's later today right ?

I wish they could do something like this within the actual game. Great examples of that would of been the behind the scenes in God of War or the RE4 making of disc you received by preordering RE4 on GameCube.

A bit of cool info: Adam Sessler was in the making of for God of War 3. He was smoking a cigarette outside the reveal. IIRC He quit smoking since.

One thing is YouTube, but having it in the menu is completely different or on disc.

1113710539-00.jpg

Chiggs

This game is so amazing that it might just kill the genre. Not sure what else can be done; it's the ultimate and penultimate horror game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Apparently the Evil Within Xbox One I won at the PAX Prime event comes in tomorrow (tracking says tomorrow, at least). Consider myself excited! I'll take pics, don't you worry.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Apparently the Evil Within Xbox One I won at the PAX Prime event comes in tomorrow (tracking says tomorrow, at least). Consider myself excited! I'll take pics, don't you worry.

I'm jealous now. I can't wait to see the pics. I wonder if they stopped making the consoles with different noises for each edition? If the UI is different please give some details or pictures please.

The gift card will be shipped and is not eligible for store pickup. But I think you were saying the deal is eligible for in store pickup? Anyway here's the fine print:

Just took advantage of this deal last night and the gift card shipped this morning. Having the game sent to me as I can wait a few days :)

malfcn

Congrats again dude.
Glad someone that is so into it won and not someone that would just sell it or not appreciate it.

jacobeid

Banned
Man, I'm probably going to have to buy this game. I wasn't planning on playing it until later, but everything recently has made me really excited.

Dusk Golem

It came with Forza 3, not my first choice, but can't complain. Couple screens.

Also, looks like I got the console I wanted of the three. The Eye console.

IMG_0907.jpg

XB1_C.png

Skyzard

Banned
I picked this up from GMG with that 25% off coupon but I don't think I'll actually be able to play it - too dark here or something... Might have to stream it each time with the chat on another monitor.

in the past 24 hours I've gone from 'wait and see' to 'hype' on this game.

What am I worried for? It's fucking Mikami.

(Preorders blindly on PS4 to get discount)

I think my skepticism comes from months ago, hearing journalists say they hated it after playing it at press events. But impressions from more recent events have been a lot more positive.

Bottom line, IT'S FUCKING MIKAMI

Dusk Golem

in the past 24 hours I've gone from 'wait and see' to 'hype' on this game.

What am I worried for? It's fucking Mikami.

(Preorders blindly on PS4 to get discount)

I think my skepticism comes from months ago, hearing journalists say they hated it after playing it at press events. But impressions from more recent events have been a lot more positive.

Bottom line, IT'S FUCKING MIKAMI

Here's a funny thing. The press didn't hate it from playing it, they hated it from watching it being played. The previews from PAX were from a video demo, not a playable demo. And that video has cursed the game since.

Top Bottom