• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

28 developers share their picks for best horror games ever

reptilexcq2

Neo Member
I trust the creators from The Last Of Us. YES, Fatal Frame II is IN FACT the most scariest game i ever played. Some other developers didn't even mention Fatal Frame...probably didn't even play it lol.

Even though I feel Fatal Frame II was the scariest...however, today we have something called P.T. and that game just owned FFII!!!

FTF

Pretty good lists...though while RE4 is one of my top 10 games of all-time, I don't consider it a horror game.

I really don't get this. If your game is great, then why not list it? If someone asked Miyamoto to name the best platformers ever, then he damn well better list Mario.

Because its arrogant. They made a horror game; so clearly something they played inspired\lead them to make that game in the first place; those titles are what should be on their list (imo). If Miyamoto made a list of best platformers hes ever played I highly doubt he would list his own games. Nothing wrong with being proud of what you did but imo you should always give credit to what inspired you, rather then pat yourself on the back.

pantsmith

You are too much of a capable badass in Dead Space. Especially in Dead Space 2.

Dead Space (1) is more about atmosphere, the feeling of being trapped in this very twisted tin can lost in space, trying your darndest to get out of a situation where hope seems entirely lost. That is the essence of survival horror, if you ask me. Isaac is as much of a badass as Ripley is, which is to say an "everyman" victim of circumstance who rises above hellish circumstance using his brains and reflex.

Dead Space is Alien, Dead Space 2 is Aliens, and Dead Space 3 is Alien 3 (lol), in that they're totally different but all work (or don't, lol) in different ways. One of them works supremely well as survival horror.

Fuck all of those lists, mine is only one game long:

Catherine_Cover_Art.png

Because its arrogant. They made a horror game; so clearly something they played inspired\lead them to make that game in the first place; those titles are what should be on their list (imo). If Miyamoto made a list of best platformers hes ever played I highly doubt he would list his own games. Nothing wrong with being proud of what you did but imo you should always give credit to what inspired you, rather then pat yourself on the back.

Also keep in mind that these aren't 1-person indie games. You could still select a game that you worked on and not be arrogant if you were doing it to praise the rest of the team.

Blueingreen

Suda51

Grasshopper Manufacture CEO
Best Known For: No More Heroes, Killer7, Shadows of the Damned

1. Shadows of the Damned
2. Fatal Frame
3. Siren
4. Silent Hill 2
5. The Evil Within

Not sure if trolling or serious ?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not in Europe, apparently... might pick up the PS2 copies instead.

Probably wont be cheap, sold FF 1&2 recently to CEX and got a surprising amount of money for them.

And yes, Fatal Frame II is probably the scariest game I've ever played... that doll room was nightmare fuel. I genuinely dreaded running through there!

MormaPope

Banned
Resident Evil 1-3 are fantastic games when it comes to gameplay and design, but when it comes to horror, they aren't nearly as oppressive or depressing when compared to a lot of other titles.

Suda51

Grasshopper Manufacture CEO
Best Known For: No More Heroes, Killer7, Shadows of the Damned

1. Shadows of the Damned
2. Fatal Frame
3. Siren
4. Silent Hill 2
5. The Evil Within

Not sure if trolling or serious ?

Nothing wrong with being proud of your own work, I guess?

fatal frame is kind of sluggish mess these days. i wish i had played it when it came out. might give the sequel a run this year. good to see mentions of Condemned though, that game does not get enough praise for it's horror.

dead space 2 over dead space 1 is a weird choice for horror though. no question that DS2 is the better overall game, but it has one specifically frightening sequence that relies heavily on nostalgia for the first game. dead space was definitely more "horror" in it's design and experience.

kick51

Banned
so happy to see all the Fatal Frame love <3

-actually scary
-not a one man army blasting things
-not a slow "normal" person who can't effectively swing a pipe or knife for shit
-but still manages to blend fun, addictive combat with actual survival horror
-been like this since the very first game, hasn't sold out or been farmed out to western devs

bring it on RE/SH fans, your games don't deliver the whole package

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Some picks surprise me a bit, others are not surprising at all.

Swery definitely went the most niche, but that also makes it probably the most interesting. Nanashi No Game is the best handheld horror game I've played, but it's so woefully underlooked. It's basically a J-horror film in game form, but about a cursed game. Not perfect and I wouldn't put it on a list of my top five favorite horror games, but definitely a title that deserves more attention. It's controls take some getting used too, though.

The Last of Us creative directors must have had discussions with each other before about how great Fatal Frame 2 is or something, there's no way it was both their number 1 pick by coincidence. I mean, it is a great horror game (Even if it scares me less than it scares others and I think it is a tad on the easy side), but that suggests it was fresh in their mind/they must have discussed how good a horror game it is before, for them both to place it number one.

While I personally love Shadows of the Damned, pft Suda51. I'm also guessing he got an early copy of Evil Within because because Mikami and him have worked on a few games together and several ex-employees from Grasshopper Manufacturer have been working on Evil Within.

I find Dan Pinchbeck's and Alex Tintor's lists interesting as well.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Matt Gilgenbach has great taste in horror games. I like his list most.

The bias answers some of these devs gave are hilarious. LOL

Edit: Swery65 has great taste too.

Vandole

No Haunted House for the 2600? Shocked.

I am a little disappointed to not see Zombie U show up on anyone's list. That was the first game in a long time to make me scream out loud.

Booshka

Only a single developer included Amnesia? For shame.

I didn't see any Penumbra either.

I think STALKER has some really scary moments too, and it was pretty fucking hardcore and tense.

Shadows of the Damned for Suda51 is hilarious though.

Vibranium

Banned
If Capcom employees are listing RE, is that just the franchise? Or is it the first one? Because the developers there need to play RE1 and the REmake again and follow the template.

I liked seeing Condemned and SS2 on there, good stuff.

I love Swery's first pick being Splatterhouse. It was one of my favorite series back in the day. Kicking my self now because I sold parts 2 and 3 on Genesis. At least I still have the original on TurboGrafx.

Cardigan

Every time October comes around, I tell myself that I'm going to play some horror games. I usually play an hour of something and then remind myself that I'm a wimp and don't enjoy playing them.

This year, I'm going to give REmake a go. I've owned it for years and never played it. The cycle will be broken!

Melchiah

What's with the Japanese developers voting their own games as number one, and the exclusion of The Last of Us?

Rivitur

Banned
I don't get the l4d being a horror game thing. Also nice to see fear getting a mention as well as kim kardashian.

Melchiah

Since when is TLoU a horror game?

DZ7Pwb5l.jpg

It's always been a horror game. Why wouldn't it be?

EDIT:
Richard Rouse III

Paranoid Productions Director, Designer, and Writer
Best Known For: The Suffering

1. Silent Hill 2
2. State of Decay
3. The Walking Dead Season 1
4. The Lurking Horror
5. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Now that's a retro choice.

Top Bottom